Academy Play-Off Semi-Final: United V Arsenal

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
Academy Play-Off Semi-Final: United V Arsenal

U18s set for Gunners battle

Premier Academy League
Play-off semi-final
Friday 7 May 2010
Carrington, 11:00 BST

"Academy Live!" MUTV 10.45am

Paul McGuinness has urged his Under-18s players to grasp one of the last chances to impress Sir Alex Ferguson this season by shining on the big stage against Arsenal in Friday’s Premier Academy League play-off semi-final.

The young Reds clinched the Premier Academy League Group C title (the Academy top-flight is split into four regional divisions), and earned a place in the play-offs with the other three group winners: Arsenal, Nottingham Forest and Leicester City. United face Arsenal at Carrington on Friday (kick-off 11:00 BST), and McGuinness is hopeful his in-form side can book a place in the final, which decides the overall Premier Academy League champions, at Old Trafford next week.

“We beat Everton 2-0 to win the league,” McGuinness told MUTV. “It was a good display, Will Keane and Ravel Morrison getting the goals, and our goalkeeper Conor Devlin making three fantastic saves. But we’ve not celebrated just yet because we have a big game against Arsenal.”

The Reds have been in fantastic form since February to clinch top spot in Group C, going on a 12-game unbeaten run that yielded 28 points from a possible 36. Those results have been built on good attacking football, plenty of guts and determination and steady nerves in critical situations. McGuinness says doing it in the very big games is the best way to catch Sir Alex’s eye.

“These games are vital,” he added. “We’ve been on a good run and we won a big game against Everton on Tuesday to clinch Group C. But I mentioned a few players to the manager after the Youth Cup, and he said, ‘Come and see me when they’ve done it in a big game’. Now we’ve got another big game against Arsenal, and hopefully another one after that. So the boys have to prove themselves in these big games.”

PS18

Last time we played them at U18 level was the 2007 Youth Cup semi and we scored in the last minute of the second leg to take it to extra-time (and then win it). Amazing game.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As PS18(or Nick) Predicted:

Our starting line up

Devlin; Brown, Wootton, Thorpe, Fryers; Ajose, Tunnicliffe, Morrison, Brady; King, Keane.”

How the hell is Pogba on the bench when he is suspended for this match?

KM

Cleared off the line by Tunnicliffe, Arsenal on the top right now

KM

SAF at the match

SecondFig

ball given away too easily in midfield and Freeman runs at the defence before crashing a shot wide of Devlin's left post, Arsenal still looking the more likely to score without creating too many clear cut chances.

SecondFig

Poor header by Thorpe almost allows Afibe (sp??) in but Devlin gets enough on the ball to send it spinning into the air and collect.

King and Keane both struggling to find space and our only chance at the moment seems to be King on the break, but every time we try that he has to beat 2 or 3 players.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Seem to content to let the Arse have the ball and play on the break but they are holding King and Ajose quite comfortably. Our midfield is very sloppy today. Not Utd football but credit to Arsenal they are playing like the senior team ,neat but they too look a little shot shy.

Inigo Montoya

Arse should have scored there. Our right flank opened up too easily

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things

SecondFig

Too much space and time on the Arsenal right allow them to get a dangerous cross in, Thorpe flicks it away from the two men in the 6-yard box but it falls to an Freeman (I think) on the far post, luckily after two touches he sends his shot just the wrong side of the post. Good chance that though and worrying how much space Arsenal had to get the ball in.

Inigo Montoya

Another corner for the Arse after a blocked shot. We seem all to happy to let them play in and around our box but hit long balls to King and Ajose when we get hold of it! Curious tactics

SecondFig

Morrison is looking our only player comfortable on the ball today, also the only United player to be winning free-kicks rather than giving them away.

Inigo Montoya

Lucky to be 0-0 but hope they come out and express themselves a bit more in the 2nd half.

No real control in central midfield, we are missing a playmaker there. The 4 forwards are getting no real joy only Morrison has found some space.