Academy v Blackburn (A)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
United line up; Coll, Hendrie, Blackett, Dalley, McCullough, Rothwell, Barmby, Weir, Byrne, Lawrence, Van Velzen

Subs; Ekangamene, Gorre, Rudge, Pearson.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
You're a sexy man, Maciek.

Great news on Lingard! Just a few weeks away after that seemingly nasty injury for the ressies.

lysglimt

Scout
We need some new defenders in this team - those we have today don't understand the basics of defending

KM

We need some new defenders in this team - those we have today don't understand the basics of defending
Amazing. Most of them are still are 16-17 and are playing against an extremely physical Blackburn team. But yeah sell them all as they're all shit.

RedPhil1957

Amazing. Most of them are still are 16-17 and are playing against an extremely physical Blackburn team. But yeah sell them all as they're all shit.

I don't think our players are very good at this new combination game of rugby/football which lackburn are playing. The ref is a disgrace to be honest.

KM

I don't think our players are very good at this new combination game of rugby/football which lackburn are playing. The ref is a disgrace to be honest.
Our team will learn from this though. I remember one of the academy coaches saying long time ago that how the likes of Lingard and Cole were being dominated in our younger teams as they weren't that particularly big in size. We focus much more on skill rather than size, the difference in sizes is clear to see right now.

lysglimt

Scout
This has nothing to do with playing a physical side. This has to do with NOT leaving a 50 yard space open in the middle of the park. Every time we lose the ball in attack - Blackburn have a clear way against goal. It's not bad even defending - it's no defending at all!

Everyone can see that Blackburn play like thugs - bad thats a good experience for them. But at least we can try to make it difficult for them

Neutral

BTV
2-0 down at HT.

United have been piss poor...Barmby having a shocker, the keeper Coll is why we're not down 4-5.

Van Velzen with a couple of nice moments...

But Blackburn too quick for us atm, and killing us on the counter attack.

RedPhil1957

Our team will learn from this though. I remember one of the academy coaches saying long time ago that how the likes of Lingard and Cole were being dominated in our younger teams as they weren't that particularly big in size. We focus much more on skill rather than size, the difference in sizes is clear to see right now.

I agree they must and will learn to cope with the physical demands some teams pose however some of the tackles were really poor and nothing was done and you can see some of our team backed off more concerned with avoiding injury than winning the ball. That should not be part of academy football imo.

lysglimt

Scout
You really are turning into the voice of doom in these threads. They've played pretty well the last few games and Dalley is still settling in.
I see quite a few positive things in this team - but these aren't 10 year old kids - they can take a bit of criticism.

In my opinion - 1 player stand out in this team - and 3 more I see a LOT of potential in. Tom Lawrence is in a league of his own - he is head and shoulders above the rest both in skills and maturity. Barmby, McCullough and Rothwell all have a lot of potential.

But I don't like the way this team defends - offensively they look very positive - but it's been the same in almost every game. We don't defend well at ALL

Neutral

BTV
Tbf, defending is all about positioning and reading of the game...these are things that come with time, age and experience.

It's why we keep going on about our 1st defenders being young, and needing someone to nurture them through...when you've got a team of 16/17/18 years defending this is pretty much par for course(though we've been admittedly poor today).

Despite that, we've also had a couple of chances to score, and they've come about from almost nothing, because like our kids, the Blackburn defenders also seem to be a bit naive.

lysglimt

Scout
Tbf, defending is all about positioning and reading of the game...these are things that come with time, age and experience.

It's why we keep going on about our 1st defenders being young, and needing someone to nurture them through...when you've got a team of 16/17/18 years defending this is pretty much par for course(though we've been admittedly poor today).

Despite that, we've also had a couple of chances to score, and they've come about from almost nothing, but like our kids, the Blackburn defenders also seem to be a bit naive.
Couldn't agree more - but when your team 3 times lose the ball on Blackburns 18-yard box and Blackburn can run 40-50 meters without a single United-player in sight....it's not only experience.

datura

I see quite a few positive things in this team - but these aren't 10 year old kids - they can take a bit of criticism.

In my opinion - 1 player stand out in this team - and 3 more I see a LOT of potential in. Tom Lawrence is in a league of his own - he is head and shoulders above the rest both in skills and maturity. Barmby, McCullough and Rothwell all have a lot of potential.

But I don't like the way this team defends - offensively they look very positive - but it's been the same in almost every game. We don't defend well at ALL
You are just very quick to criticise when anyone who watches Academy level knows it's all about development not necessarily results or performances (until the Youth Cup).

lysglimt

Scout
You are just very quick to criticise when anyone who watches Academy level knows it's all about development not necessarily results or performances (until the Youth Cup).
I don't care about results - but I don't agree that it's not about performances.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

That should tell you something about the importance of a experience at this level. He was certainly no less frustrating than most of his current team mates early on in his academy career.

datura

I don't care about results - but I don't agree that it's not about performances.
Performances are irrelevant. The whole team will not be first team players, it's really about individuals developing and potentially becoming first team players.

Obviously it is good to watch a free flowing football team who win a lot, but it's not that important.

Drainy

Performances are irrelevant. The whole team will not be first team players, it's really about individuals developing and potentially becoming first team players.

Obviously it is good to watch a free flowing football team who win a lot, but it's not that important.
Completely agree with this.

A good youth team that wins all the time at youth level could produce no individuals for the first team, but a team that is inconsistent and looks poor from time to time can produce strong players at full level, which is what its all about.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Very true. Obviously don't take the saying to the extreme, but, they say you learn a lot more from a loss than a win. The odd loss will do no harm to them and it has no bearing on the club either, as long as they take something from it and react the right way.

PS18

Saying 'we need new defenders in this team' at this stage is ridiculously kneejerk though. We're six games into the season. Neither Coll or Jacob got many games last season, and when Gollini and Sutherland get games they'll have even less experience. Blackett aside, the back four has been made up of 16 year-old first-years like Dalley and Wilkinson, the 17 year-old McCullough who effectively sat out his first year, and a midfielder at right-back in Hendrie, who also barely played in his first year due to injury. Add to that a very young, raw, slight midfield group (Rothwell, Daehli, Weir, Rudge etc) who have understandably struggled to protect the defence (shorn due to injury of the only real physical, defensive option they have in Ekangamene) and what we've seen so far is entirely predictable and should be of minimal concern.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Academy League
Brockhall Village, 24 September 2011

BLACKBURN ROVERS 3
(O'Sullivan 15, McClaren 21, 65)

MANCHESTER UNITED 2
(Rothwell 75, Lawrence 80)

Despite a brave, late fightback, United’s youngsters fell foul of a clinical performance from Blackburn Rovers at Brockhall Village.

The hosts were two goals ahead inside 21 minutes after fine finishes from John O’Sullivan and Jamie McClaren, and the deficit might have been greater in a one-sided first-half.

United rallied after the break and passed up a handful of presentable opportunities, before McClaren seemingly put the outcome beyond doubt by stabbing home his second goal.

Joe Rothwell reprised his spectacular shooting of last week’s draw against Middlesbrough with another rasping long-range effort and Tom Lawrence also curled in a stunning effort, but it was too little, too late for the Reds.

In a keenly-contested game littered with fouls and cautions, Blackburn adapted better, while United struggled to find a passing rhythm and often caused their own problems.

Luke Hendrie managed to clear the danger on 10 minutes, after Tyler Blackett’s blind back-pass had been intercepted, but there was no reprieve when the Reds failed to play their way out of defence five minutes later.

Declan Dalley only managed to scuff his clearance to the edge of the area, but O’Sullivan’s emphatic finish hurtled unstoppably inside Joe Coll’s far post.

The United goalkeeper was similarly helpless six minutes later, when Curtis Haley’s looping cross was superbly redirected inside the far post by McClaren’s arcing header.

Rovers continued to menace, while Sam Byrne headed off-target and fired straight at home goalkeeper Chris Dilo with the Reds’ best openings of the half.
Blackburn Rovers Academy 3 Manchester United Academy 2 - Official Manchester United Website

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
This has nothing to do with playing a physical side. This has to do with NOT leaving a 50 yard space open in the middle of the park. Every time we lose the ball in attack - Blackburn have a clear way against goal. It's not bad even defending - it's no defending at all!

Everyone can see that Blackburn play like thugs - bad thats a good experience for them. But at least we can try to make it difficult for them
More of a midfield issue then surely ? There is no way you can say that getting defenders committing to a challenge in the opponents half is a good way of defending the counter.