Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We're a team in free fall, we shouldn't turn our noses up at a player who we might not like if he can do a job for us. Beggars can't be choosers. white

Mainoldo

That's now you should see it. You sell McT for 30m and buy Sabitzer for 15-20 m. We get a profit and an upgrade for a rotation option. Rabiot is probably our starting option and alternative option to FDJ.
I don’t see why Sabitzer would want to move from one bench to the other. He’s hardly breaking into the first team.

I get Rabiot FDJ but Rabiot is more of a Casemiro hybrid. He can play with or without him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I don’t see why Sabitzer would want to move from one bench to the other. He’s hardly breaking into the first team.

I get Rabiot FDJ but Rabiot is more of a Casemiro hybrid. He can play with or without him.
He isn't a Casemiro type player at all. He is more of a dribbler and passer with the ball , positionally erratic but quite press resistant. He would just be a great partner to Casemiro.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I mentioned in another thread that one thing the current United team badly lacks is height and physicality. Rabiot would be a really good addition on a free transfer.

Aside from our squad being around average in terms of height, the fact that the two best teams in the league this season are among the three smallest sides demonstrates the relative (lack of) importance of height as an asset.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I could live with that
Kane is such an 'un-sexy' option. He's just not exciting at all and is at the tail end of his career, so I think that is why I and others aren't interested.

But, he's the obvious choice if you're thinking with your head/seeing it through ETHs eyes. He'll score goals and hold up play, bringing others into play with his link up (Son now at Spurs, probably Rashford and Antony as inverted wingers here) - everything ETH seems to want in a 'big man up top' type of striker. He'll be 10x better than Weghorst and will score plenty of goals. It's just whether 2-3 good seasons is worth the outlay?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Aside from our squad being around average in terms of height, the fact that the two best teams in the league this season are among the three smallest sides demonstrates the relative (lack of) importance of height as an asset.
While the top teams tending to be on the lower side of this is true, a lot of our height would be in players who normally don't play and probably won't be here next season (McTominay and Maguire). Take those two out (along with Wout who isn't included in this list either) and I presume we'd drop to being the shortest of all, depending on their replacements being more average height.

Mainoldo

He isn't a Casemiro type player at all. He is more of a dribbler and passer with the ball , positionally erratic but quite press resistant. He would just be a great partner to Casemiro.
He protects his backline well. Whilst having great positional awareness…

That’s why I said hybrid as he does have the qualities you’ve also listed.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
While the top teams tending to be on the lower side of this is true, a lot of our height would be in players who normally don't play and probably won't be here next season (McTominay and Maguire). Take those two out (along with Wout who isn't included in this list either) and I presume we'd drop to being the shortest of all, depending on their replacements being more average height.
Even just looking at our current nominal starting eleven though, it's still quite tall.

De Gea 6' 4", Dalot 6'0", Varane 6' 3", Shaw 6' 1", Casemiro 6' 1", Eriksen 6' 0", Rashford 5' 11". Even discounting Weghorst, Martial is 5' 11".

As opposed to Arsenal for example who have five players under 5' 11" in their best eleven by my count (Zinchenko, Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard and Jesus).

I'd hardly describe that as badly lacking height.

Mainoldo

Even just looking at our current nominal starting eleven though, it's still quite tall.

De Gea 6' 4", Dalot 6'0", Varane 6' 3", Shaw 6' 1", Casemiro 6' 1", Eriksen 6' 0", Rashford 5' 11". Even discounting Weghorst, Martial is 5' 11".

As opposed to Arsenal for example who have five players under 5' 11" in their best eleven by my count (Zinchenko, Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard and Jesus).

I swear some of these are made up. How is Rashford shorter than Shaw and Eriksen

Suv666

We should be more ambitious. He an alright player but we shouldn't be going for mediocrity.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He was one of France's best player in Qatar in fairness. He surprised me how good he was actually.

We could do a lot lot worse. As long as his wages aren't astronomical then it's a no brainer for me. Very tidy player and massively improves our midfield options.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

No way shaw is 6'1.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I swear some of these are made up. How is Rashford shorter than Shaw and Eriksen
I just went with the first result that came up on each tbf, there are always conflicting height stats so you can probably shift those around by about an inch.

The general point though is that it isn't a particularly short team.

MegadrivePerson

It was really noticeable against Liverpool on Sunday. They look massive now with the additions of Nunez and Gakpo!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No way shaw is 6'1.
He's listed as 185cm on the PL website anyway, which is just under 6' 1". But as I said above, height stats aren't consistent, so he could well be shorter. Though I think people partially assume he's quite a bit shorter because of his build.

Also, looking that up I note that Martinez was measured at 5' 10" as per his United medical and not the 5' 9" I thought he was.

Strootman's Finger

This guy does literally nothing. He doesn't score, he doesn't, assist, doesn't have a long passing range, doesn't progress the ball forward. He's Tom Cleverly, recycling 5 yard passes all day.

Teja

I wonder what the plan was if we signed this guy (or even FdJ) instead of Casemiro. I think we would've tried to develop one of Fred / McT as a DM and that would've been a disaster.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

Shaw is roughly 5'10" according to Transfermarkt, and I have a hard time believing Eriksen is over 6 feet. All the heights and weights listed in professional sports are made up anyways (except for combat sports)

I agree that height doesn't matter

Abraxas

Don't know why this guy keeps coming up. When the best that can be said is he's free, is it really such a good prospect? When he's lining up in your midfield going sideways and backwards and providing minimal difference to the strength of our side will it be such a big consolation to say he was free?

I hope we can be more ambitious than this. Fair enough if we have no funds but otherwise there simply has to be way better or at least way more potential out there.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Shaw is roughly 5'10" according to Transfermarkt, and I have a hard time believing Eriksen is over 6 feet. All the heights and weights listed in professional sports are made up anyways (except for combat sports)

I agree that height doesn't matter
Mentioned above that Martinez was officially recorded as 5ft 10 on his United medical, so I would think Shaw is definitely taller than that.

But yeah, there are no real reliable sources for most players' heights so arguing over inches is a waste of time really. :lol:

zaafi

This guy does literally nothing. He doesn't score, he doesn't, assist, doesn't have a long passing range, doesn't progress the ball forward. He's Tom Cleverly, recycling 5 yard passes all day.
I find it hilarious how posters confidently talk out of their asses. He's got 5 goals and 2 assists in 21 matches which isn't far away from Fernandes' 5 goals and 6 assists in 24 matches. Rabiot is in the 86th percentile in goal scoring for midfielders. He's a good all-round midfielder and comparing him to Cleverley shows you don't even know what you're talking about.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I will just re-iterate, if we weren't willing to pay his demands in the summer, we won't be willing to do it this summer either. He will not drop his demands, they would only increase on a free transfer.

criticalanalysis

I will just re-iterate, if we weren't willing to pay his demands in the summer, we won't be willing to do it this summer either. He will not drop his demands, they would only increase on a free transfer.
Last year we probably had to pay a transfer fee, so I'm assuming that budget would now go to his wages.

Probably not a straight 1 (transfer fee) to 1 (go straight to extra wages) ratio but would probably offset whatever his demands are by a fair bit I'll assume.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Shaw's height has been bought up before, and when going through photos of him next to other players it was generally accepted he was about 5'11". On the other hand Rashford goes the other way and is about 6'1", so they basically just swap heights compared to what you listed. Likewise Eriksen and Martial would be swapped when seeing them next to each other and other players. Both of which don't change the overall team height that you were talking about, but does take that height out of the defensive areas where it probably is more important.

De Gea - tall but very bad at utilising that height in terms of defending crosses and set pieces. Well below almost all his peers in those regards.
Martinez - very short for his position, although good at making up for it.
Fred - short
Antony - short
Bruno - fairly short

Varane and to a lesser extent Casemiro (who I'm pretty sure is 6'2") are the only actually tall players out there, with the others being average to slightly above average. I'm not saying it's super important and something that we desperately need to look at, but it is something to take note of.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Last year we probably had to pay a transfer fee, so I'm assuming that budget would now go to his wages.

Probably not a straight 1 (transfer fee) to 1 (go straight to extra wages) ratio but would probably offset whatever his demands are by a fair bit I'll assume.
Why would we do that? We're actively trying to lower our wage budget. He's currently on 7m euros net, he would become one of our top earners even if he came over on the same terms.

Mainoldo

Why would we do that? We're actively trying to lower our wage budget. He's currently on 7m euros net, he would become one of our top earners even if he came over on the same terms.
It doesn’t really matter though does it. It will be explainable as he won’t have a transfer fee. If we give him a £5m signing on fee (example) that will be in his wages. Similar to the mad wages we heard Herrera and Wini was on at PSG.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Those heights all look like they've had an inch or 2 added on. Wiki isn't always great for height!
I'd be amazed if Casemiro and Shaw are 6ft 1!

criticalanalysis

I'm not saying we should, just saying it won't be out of our budget. Whether he's worth it is another story.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Contract year wonder season, we should all know by now…….

Status
Not open for further replies.