Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
It's an upgrade on what we have so on that basis I'll take it.

Besides I miss having a French midfielder that causes drama

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Only thing I would say despite the bad press. He is a first team footballer for Juve.
People are drawing the wrong conclusions from Juventus being happy to sell. The club wants to sell as they are trying to undo the damage during their free transfers + high wages spree. The coaching staff are very happy with playing him.

There’s been no talk of paying his contract off a year early. Why would they?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Well isn't that what cafe wants, that he doesn't buy just players he worked with or knows them but in agreement with the board too?
or your board is finally fed up with your head coach's recommendation, and go for the targets recommended by your head scout or DOF? No one knows the detail obviously.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Caicedo would be the best possible buy with the greatest potential instant impact on our midfield fortunes we could make but that's far too sensible for these lot in charge.

We need a lengthy,drawn out and embarrassing wild goose chase to stay in the headlines only to pony up for an unwanted problem child instead
He is an United fan and he will join us immediately. Having said that, he just broke into first team mid of last season. Would definitely need another couple of years. Next summer or 24/25 would be perfect.

Alfie092

IF and it's a big IF. We get De Jong alongside Rabiot then I would be content with that for our midfield options for this season.

However, if Rabiot is our De Jong alternative then this club truly has no ambition. We have arguably the worst midfield in the top half of the league, even some teams in the bottom half of the league have better midfielders who improve us. So while Rabiot is better than McFred but he isn't going to make our midfield better than the likes of Chelsea and Spurs, let alone City and Liverpool. So how is his signing along going to help us close the gap and get us back into the top 4? He simply isn't.

Redcy

As I said he is a de jong replacement, it would make no sense to play him with fdj. Incoming tielemans to play with him

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's fair enough, but then that leads to the question of why are we picking up a bloke on a massive downturn in performance in the last year of his contract where his club are desperate to see the back of him? It's not a set of circumstances that inspires confidence. We just have to pray to reinvigorate his career, I guess.
You generally don't get players from top clubs because they are on the form of their lives. It's a bit like getting Sterling from City. Now it's true that it could be an Alexis Sanchez but it could be an Aubameyang for Barcelona.

And to be perfectly clear, I'm not defending the move, I'm just making the point that 99% of posters are showing that they don't know much about the player or any of the players they are suggesting as alternatives.

Castia

If he improves our squad I'm all for it, were so thin on the ground we need numbers. if we can get our squad to a reasonable level we may then appeal more to world class players.

Just filling the squad with shite though isn't it. We'll be in the same position in 12 months trying to offload him along with all the other mediocre players on big wages.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
But those are probably quite talented players by the standards of the Dutch league. Trying to pull off the same trick with the same level of player in the pl feels doomed to fail. Also none of those players you listed come across as massive cnuts
I was saying to another person on here who made the same point that they were highly effective in the CL too. Haller was one of the top scorers last year in the CL. And we can't reference the Dutch league every time someone talks about ETH's achievements - if that's the case then what chance does the guy have. I am 100% on board with the second part of your post though - they both have questionable personalities big time.

justsomebloke

Is he though, Rabiot has mixed it in Europe, fair enough he's had a bad time at Juve but he was decent enough for PSG.

For the fee they are talking it's clear we are looking to add numbers to our squad and that means we can't pay 50 million for everyone we sign.

Rabiot is an upgrade on Fred and Mctomminey, that much is certain so it's a start and I accept this far more the Arnautovic transfer.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I would normally agree but this seems like obvious desperation.
The result yesterday definitely sped things up but I would think we’d have been looking at him for a while now and there has been talks of alternative targets already having deals in principle agreed. It has been a really quick turnaround.

Would not be surprised if we went and spent the de jong money on a RW/2 CM’s & a Striker relatively quickly now

Abraxas

Juve wanted rid of kulusevski - which turned out to be a bit stupid! That said, I can't remember seeing Rabiot play for at least two years...
True, but it's not just one factor. Kulusevski was a young player, a completely different profile. A mild punt by Spurs.

The fact they want rid of an established player is indicative of his performances. The fans don't like his effort. If we were to move Fred on, and a buying teams fans came to assess him here, they'd be no doubt aware of the criticism of his ability but they wouldn't find criticism of his character or effort. That's a horrible sign for a player.

Devil81

Funny how talks of “panic buys” when there’s 24 days left of the window
Did you not watch us yesterday?

We will be miles behind top 4 if we don't act now. That midfield needs breaking up and selling on.

Mainoldo

People are drawing the wrong conclusions from Juventus being happy to sell. The club wants to sell as they are trying to undo the damage during their free transfers + high wages spree. The coaching staff are very happy with playing him.

There’s been no talk of paying his contract off a year early. Why would they?
Exactly. It’s not like he’s a bench player like Eric Bailly on high wages. Or even Aaron Ramsey. We are getting a first team league title winner. There club has been tragic but it’s a collective problem. Not a Rabiot problem. Spurs did well or their cost offs recently.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Did you not watch us yesterday?

We will be miles behind top 4 if we don't act now. That midfield needs breaking up and selling on.
Wouldn’t be surprised if we went and signed at least 1-2 after Rabiot (CM’s that is)

lex talionis

Rabiot is a massive upgrade on McFred, which may not be saying much, but it’s still a fact. We’re still in for de Jong, about which much has been written here already.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Its one thing having 6-7 difficult games per season were you have ample time to prepare and its another having 1-2 difficult games per week.
Saying that everything ETH did was "just in the Dutch league" is grossly unfair. Yes, it is weaker. than the premier league - of course, but if we take this view then what chance does he have? Why did we even give him the job?

I Am Zlatan

We really need more players in midfield. As long as he doesn’t create a toxic environment, and we don’t pay him high wages, I’m all for it.. With the World Cup, and we are playing Europa, we need more players, one or two injuries and will see us relying on academy players who aren’t ready just yet.

Devil81

I hate stats, I judge on how a player plays for my team.

Vernon's stats in Italy vs his stats in England for example imagine the difference.

I've seen enough of Rabiot to say he's better than Mctomminey. He's also a different type of player, Rabiot plays deeper and moves the ball better.

Status
Not open for further replies.