Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He would be a decent addition but he won't improve our possession game at all.
Interesting take! Why do you figure that? I’ve always thought more possession would suit him better than the football he currently plays. Technically sound, good passer of the ball. Does not really play in an environment where it shows.

PoTMS

He'd be an excellent signing. He won't dent out transfer chest, allowing us to distribute our funds elsewhere, while adding much needed quality in a position we're severely lacking in.

-Supreme-

Makes a lot of sense, use a large proportion of our transfer budget on a ball playing / attacking CM that isn’t Declan Rice.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Makes a lot of sense, use a large proportion of our transfer budget on a ball playing / attacking CM that isn’t Declan Rice.
True, if we bring another midfielder it would solve 2 major problem in our squad. To me he will be a better addition than Eriksen. At least he can run with the ball and has some form of physicality.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is a player I have very little firm opinion on, despite having seen him play quite a few times.

If we signed him, what role do we think he'd play in the squad? Would he start ahead of Eriksen or would he just be a Sabitzeresque squad option? What are the main qualities he'd add to the team versus whoever he'd be replacing?

He would be a decent addition but he won't improve our possession game at all.
Also curious about this as looking at his pass completion stats I note quite the range. Season by season, starting with the least recent:

91.6% > 92.5% > 88.6% > 89.4% > 81.9% > 80.5%.

I'm assuming that's heavily influenced by the style of team he's playing for, but what exactly would we be getting? The top end of that would make him by far the most secure passer in our midfield, the bottom end not so much.

Zoo

Casemiro, Rabiot, Fernandes is a better balance in midfield. Eriksen will be a rotation player.

slored1

On a free he would be a decent option. Probably good for a rotational nr. 8 instead of Sabitzer/Fred.

Tiber

Deal was underwhelming last year, hasn't got much more attractive a year later.

Idxomer

Interesting take! Why do you figure that? I’ve always thought more possession would suit him better than the football he currently plays. Technically sound, good passer of the ball. Does not really play in an environment where it shows.
He isn't a better passer than Eriksen. He can carry the ball better but I wouldn't say he's exactly press resistant. Casemiro needs someone who takes responsibility for being the main man in the buildup from him. This player isn't Rabiot.

CM

Even on a free Rabiot does nothing to remedy the biggest problems in our midfield. I'm a bit concerned these types of links mean we won't get the midfielder we really need.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Nope still don’t want him even on a free.
We aren't going to have 70m plus for 4 different players. You are aware of this right?

The rumoured budget is 100m plus any sales we generate.

Judas

Open to offers
We aren't going to have 70m plus for 4 different players. You are aware of this right?

The rumoured budget is 100m plus any sales we generate.
I don’t rate him, you don’t need to be condescending. It would be good value, I just don’t trust him to have much of an impact. Big wages no doubt for someone who won’t make us anymore slick.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I don’t rate him, you don’t need to be condescending. It would be good value, I just don’t trust him to have much of an impact. Big wages no doubt for someone who won’t make us anymore slick.
I wasn't meant to be condescending. Apologies.

He's a very good player though. I thought he was one of Frances best players in Qatar too.

We do a lot lot worse. Definitely better than Fred, Mctominay and Donny as well.

scottser

That ship has sailed. We already walked away from his oul wan's exorbitant demands once, let's not pick at that particular scab again.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How would that change here? We’re a midfield of low volume passes with lower accuracy. … Which Rabiot fits like a glove, it seems. He averages 37 passes per game in the Serie A this season (bottom 25th percentile) and an accuracy at 80% (47th percentile).

Judas

Open to offers

He's a very good player though. I thought he was one of Frances best players in Qatar too.

We do a lot lot worse. Definitely better than Fred, Mctominay and Donny as well.
no worries. He’s alright? I just can’t get even remotely excited by him. Due to how he plays and his limitations. People would be wanting him sold this time next year.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The loans of Weghorst and Sabitzer along with previous and current links to Arnautovic and Rabiot, suggest that ETH has a thing for battlers and workhorses. I personally think we need to inject more quality and control into our games which I don’t think players like these provide (although Rabiot is better than the others mentioned) but ETH is obviously better equipped to identify what we need.
I believe so too. He’s far more pragmatic than I expected. I guess he was just passing through at Ajax and his approach at Utrecht is more his vibe.

Ciddy

Still only 28? He’s seems to have been around for ages! Good signing on a free without doubt.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Also worth noting that of the players we could sell this summer to free up scope to spend, both Fred and McTominay would be among the most efficient from an FFP pov. McTominay because he's an academy player, Fred because he will have little/no book value at this point.

So (in theory) selling them and replacing them with a player on a free transfer would be an effective way of freeing up more scope to spend elsewhere.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This is a player I have very little firm opinion on, despite having seen him play quite a few times.

If we signed him, what role do we think he'd play in the squad? Would he start ahead of Eriksen or would he just be a Sabitzeresque squad option? What are the main qualities he'd add to the team versus whoever he'd be replacing?

Also curious about this as looking at his pass completion stats I note quite the range. Season by season, starting with the least recent:

91.6% > 92.5% > 88.6% > 89.4% > 81.9% > 80.5%.

I'm assuming that's heavily influenced by the style of team he's playing for, but what exactly would we be getting? The top end of that would make him by far the most secure passer in our midfield, the bottom end not so much.
Always gets picked by France, I think that’s a good sign. Scores a lot of goals for
Juventus.

I think he’s a very good all rounder. I’ve yet to see him have a really bad game. Takes Eriksens slot in my opinion and I’m a fan of Eriksen

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Always gets picked by France, I think that’s a good sign. Scores a lot of goals for
Juventus.

I think he’s a very good all rounder. I’ve yet to see him have a really bad game. Takes Eriksens slot in my opinion and I’m a fan of Eriksen
Also much rather him coming off the bench or playing when we have an injury than Fred, McTominay or Sabizter

Id sign him and another midfielder

Mainoldo

Even on a free Rabiot does nothing to remedy the biggest problems in our midfield. I'm a bit concerned these types of links mean we won't get the midfielder we really need.
All those games we get overran in midfield. That doesn’t happen with Rabiot.

Positionally sound, great on the ball and physically present. Allows us to get an advanced 8 or someone like Maddison.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
How would that change here? We’re a midfield of low volume passes with lower accuracy. … Which Rabiot fits like a glove, it seems. He averages 37 passes per game in the Serie A this season (bottom 25th percentile) and an accuracy at 80% (47th percentile).
Also plays in a team with 48 percent possession. 11th in Serie A. Man Utd have 54 %. Not the best in the league, but different from Juve. And I think we are looking to improve upon it (purely based on the history of the coach).

jamesjimmybyrondean

All those games we get overran in midfield. That doesn’t happen with Rabiot.

Positionally sound, great on the ball and physically present. Allows us to get an advanced 8 or someone like Maddison.
What's the plan here? What would be our midfield three.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I believe so too. He’s far more pragmatic than I expected. I guess he was just passing through at Ajax and his approach at Utrecht is more his vibe.
You don't just pass through and do what he did at Ajax. The number of goals and trophies.

I feel like it's more budget constrictions linking us with these players.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mentioned it above but his passing accuracy at PSG was 91%/92%, then 88%/89% in his first two seasons at Juve, then 81%/80% in his most recent two.

Any idea what that's about? Has his role or position changed over the years? Or is he just reacting to the style of the team he's in? In which case could he in theory go back to being that more secure passer if that's what our set up requires? It seems like quite a wide variance.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not sure why the poster said it would allow us to get an advanced 8 when that position is quite clearly Bruno's.

Assuming we got Rabiot, he'd most likely replace Eriksen, as he can offer us a blend of what Fred and Eriksen does. He can also deputise for Casemiro, as he's defensively very sound. That said, I think I'd prefer to get Kovacic - a player we've also been linked to this week, as he's better in the build up phase and much more akin to de Jong, in my opinion.

Bruno (Sabitzer)
Rabiot (Eriksen) Casemiro (Rabiot)​

My issue would be the age of those players but there's still a lot of energy and legs left in them.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Mentioned it above but his passing accuracy at PSG was 91%/92%, then 88%/89% in his first two seasons at Juve, then 81%/80% in his most recent two.

Any idea what that's about? Has his role or position changed over the years? Or is he just reacting to the style of the team he's in? In which case could he in theory go back to being that more secure passer if that's what our set up requires? It seems like quite a wide variance.
Different roles and team philosophies. PSG were a possession team where he was used as either a box to box or as Thiago Motta's replacement. At Juventus Sarri and Conte were more about possession and focus on technical play while Allegri is more conservative. Also last season he largely played wide which leads to lower pass completions since you are supposed to be a bit more adventurous.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would be a good signing on a free and would allow us to spend more in other areas. I liked Sabitzer, but his penchant for an injury in the short time he's been here is going to rule him out a permanent move I think.

Mainoldo

Definitely a rotational 3.

Casemiro - Rabiot and Bruno as a 10

Rabiot and two 8’s. I said Maddison as another 10 but could get a Mac Allister and play them two with either Bruno or Eriksen as a 3.

Idxomer

The style definitely changed and Juve have worse midfielders now. The thing is Rabiot usually played with midfielders at Juve who averages more passes than him. That has been the case under Allegri, Pirlo or Sarri. He won't be the main man on the ball at United which is what we need instead of Eriksen or Casemiro.

Status
Not open for further replies.