African Cup of Nations 2021 (played in 2022) | Final: Senegal v Egypt, 7 PM UK time

Idxomer

Queiroz is great at nullifying other teams' strengths, Egypt barely faced any threat in the last 3 games.

marktan

Ones going to lose and I hope it’s dodgy game and they refuse to play on the same team ever again….

No reason.
They play in the world cup qualifier final round tie as well next month. Imagine if one team wins both.. could get a little bit bitter between the two.

Salah to refuse the crap contract and join United, it's happening :drool:

Nedu

Supports
Barcelona
So another trophy for Liverpool then?

Are they definitely back on their perch? :D

Imagine if they make salah /mane bring the trophy back to the club

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Huge exaggeration IMO. They were poor in group stage especially the 1st 2 games but got better since then. Cameroon wasn't better tonight.
Cameroon hit the post twice.

The game is all about scoring (and taking great penalties), but let's not rewrite history

Egypt aren't Greece '04, but they're closer to Greece '04 than Czech '04 I'll tell you that :D

And they should prefer that, given who won Euro 04...

the_cliff

The game is all about scoring (and taking great penalties), but let's not rewrite history

Egypt aren't Greece '04, but they're closer to Greece '04 than Czech '04 I'll tell you that :D

I agree with you, barring a terrible back pass leading to a Salah one on one Egypt barely created a half chance for 120 minutes.

el3mel

Cameroon really created only 2 proper chances the entire game and they were in the first half and were from two set pieces. Their other best chance after that was a lucky long range shot. Hardly an attacking performance worthy of noting.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

They did, but tbh Czech Republic dominated Greece way more, greek's only shot on goal was the silver goal(from a corner).
Czech strikers missed sitters having the greek gk on the floor, you can't miss that, plus Nedved injury.

Greece got super lucky, the most lucky team I've ever seen in a single match, probably only surpassed by Portugal not losing to France after Gignac hitting the post in the last minute of Euro final... can't get more lucky than that.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular

From long rage, they barely created any clear cut occasions and Egypt actually did.

But yeah they're nowhere near Czech '04, anyone saying they are is clearly delusional. But haven't just sat back and defended either, didn't do so against Ivory coast and Morocco either.

The Original

Frustrating to say the big sides i thought most entertaining, Nigeria and Ivory Coast, were out early and the two i thought most rigid and boring are in the final.

Never was convinced by Cameroun either.

Last edited:

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Egypt clearly practiced for the 0-0 and pens. Cameroon not so much...
It was obvious Egypt was ready and probably playing for penalties from the 80th minute onwards meanwhile Cameroon seemed to improvise even for the set of five kickers. I honestly wonder whether any of the other three, excluding Aboubakar, were prepared for penalties. The choice of subs was also highly questionable.

Think the final will go to pens too.
That’s probable, with the accumulated tiredness of playing three successive 120 minutes matches, Egypt would fancy their chances with another 0-0 tie taking it to penalties if they can keep Gabal fit (seemed like he’s nursing a thigh injury since the last game).

Senegal should be more interested in playing for a win in regulation time.

antk

So why was there a player subbed in then off in ET for Egypt? Is there any explanation?

el3mel

So why was there a player subbed in then off in ET for Egypt? Is there any explanation?
Quieroz fecked up. :D He made this sub then wanted to put in Zizou to shoot a pen, couldn't think of any other player to sub off without affecting the defensive shape so subbed the guy he had just put him on.

From the start Zizou should have been subbed on at the beginning of 2nd extra time half. The earlier sub shouldn't have happened.

It's not a big deal anyway.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hopefully salah and mane just smash each other up and be banned from the game for humanitarian reasons.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Had a random flashback to the Egyptian player Mohammed Zidan. How good was he?

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
All I know is that Klopp mentioned him and Lewandowski as the favourite players he has ever managed. I was surprised that Klopp mentioned him of all people!!

el3mel

Zidan had a lot of qualities and skills as a footballer that always appeared in key moments. His main problem was inconsistency. He can go from a 9/10 in a game to a 4/10 in the next one. That kinda hurt his numbers and career in general, but when on form he was great. He could have achieved more with more consistency and probably better mentality though.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
It’s really weird, he’s adopted some of Lineker’s mannerisms and speech patterns. Really odd.
He’s a terribly overrated pundit, and his lad bible esque takes are extremely grating. He’s well spoken though which has given the impression he’s more insightful than he is.

Josh 76

Hopefully salah and mane just smash each other up and be banned from the game for humanitarian reasons.
No rotating for the these two in the tournament. Throw in a few extra times too, Klopp worst nightmare has become a reality!
With the rest of the PL having a winter break, let’s see how Salah and Mane cope at the latter end of the season.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I would like to see Senegal win it, as I've found them more enjoyable to watch than Egypt, and it would be nice to see them winning it for the first time in their history after finishing as runners-up last time and in the early 00s.

If I was a Liverpool fan (shudder), I'd probably still want Senegal to win (in 90 minutes), as it could be a huge confidence booster for Mane ahead of final few months of the season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Crucial not just for trophy but these two are meeting in world cup play off so one will get huge mental boost ahead of that play off.

RedDevilMachine

Crucial not just for trophy but these two are meeting in world cup play off so one will get huge mental boost ahead of that play off.
I just looked it up and I didn't realize how tough the AFCON WC qualification campaign is. 10 groups in the second round and only the group winners qualify to the next round and they all play each other in the final round for a WC place. A bit harsh and unfair considering how Europe had it easier.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
No rotating for the these two in the tournament. Throw in a few extra times too, Klopp worst nightmare has become a reality!
With the rest of the PL having a winter break, let’s see how Salah and Mane cope at the latter end of the season.
Their loss our gain, this always makes getting top African players a liability, but I guess you have to put up with that.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I just looked it up and I didn't realize how tough the AFCON WC qualification campaign is. 10 groups in the second round and only the group winners qualify to the next round and they all play each other in the final round for a WC place. A bit harsh and unfair considering how Europe had it easier.
Are you aware that if you put Senegal, Egypt or Cameroon in UEFA, due to ranking FIFA they won't be top seeds, so they would have to take the 1st place in the group(to qualify directly) from Germany,England,France,Italy,Netherlands,Portugal,Spain,etc right?

It's only easy for big teams, not for the rest.

Beating dross like San Marino and Malta doesn't change anything, they lose to everybody, which is why matches against such teams are pointless, and shouldn't even be played.

I've criticized UEFA qualifiers for having games against San Marino,Malta, Andorra,etc who are pointless...but on the other hand, it's the only confederation when tier 2-3 teams are, most of the times, forced to upset a big team to qualify directly to WC.
No other confederation has that, kinda unfair for tier 2-3 european teams imo.

That being said, i consider African qualifiers difficult for teams not called Senegal,Cameroon,Ivory Coast or Nigeria.

Last edited:

Pintu

Their loss our gain, this always makes getting top African players a liability, but I guess you have to put up with that.
Most clubs in the world would rather have Mané, Salah, Hakimi, and Koulibaly 23 months of 24 rather than have Draxler, Dembélé, AWB, and Maguire available full time.

Pintu

I've criticized UEFA qualifiers for having games against San Marino,Malta, Andorra,etc who are pointless...but on the other hand, it's the only confederation when tier 2 teams are, most of the times, forced to upset a big team to qualify directly to WC.
No other confederation has this, kinda fecked up for tier 2-3 european teams imo.
That's not the only way.

Sure, Switzerland and Serbia won their WC spots by upsetting Italy and Portugal. But other Tier 2 teams still have a way in via relatively easy competition. Wales only needs to beat Austria in one home game and then face (again at home) the winner of Scotland Ukraine.

Russia only needs to beat Poland at home and then, again at home, face the winner of Sweden Czech Republic.

I think having more intercontinental playoffs would have benefited Africa in the 32 teams WC era. Like instead of 5 direct places, Africa should have 3/4 direct and 3/4 playoffs spots.

But it probably wouldn't have gone well with the AFC market. All 3 of Japan Saudia Arabia, and Australia are quite poor currently and a group of these 3 being garanteed 2 direct WC spots + one playoff is kind of uppsetting when Egypt and Senegal have to face off for one place.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
That's not the only way.

Sure, Switzerland and Serbia won their WC spots by upsetting Italy and Portugal. But other Tier 2 teams still have a way in via relatively easy competition. Wales only needs to beat Austria in one home game and then face (again at home) the winner of Scotland Ukraine.

Russia only needs to beat Poland at home and then, again at home, face the winner of Sweden Czech Republic.

I think having more intercontinental playoffs would have benefited Africa in the 32 teams WC era. Like instead of 5 direct places, Africa should have 3/4 direct and 3/4 playoffs spots.

But it probably wouldn't have gone well with the AFC market. All 3 of Japan Saudia Arabia, and Australia are quite poor currently and a group of these 3 being garanteed 2 direct WC spots + one playoff is kind of uppsetting when Egypt and Senegal have to face off for one place.
It's not easy for Russia to beat Poland,Sweden or Czech Republic, they aren't better than those teams.
Wales isn't much better than Austria or Ukraine, so it isn't easy for them either.
Those are all even games.

Neither Russia or Wales are Germany/France, they won't toy with those teams, if they quality it will be very even.

I never said it's the only option, but for sometimes it happens.

Anyway, the next WC will have 48 spots, and Conmebol literally will have have 6.5/7 spots for 10 teams.You have to be very bad to miss next WC there.