Gaming Age of Empires IV

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What era will it cover? Is definitive edition out yet?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Apparently Bill Gates Reddit AMA in 2016 got the ball rolling.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Can't wait. Recently loaded up AoE2 and it's as good as ever.

Wasn't keen on AoE3 though.

bucky

As someone who hasn't played AoE3 and was thinking about picking it up for cheap, why wasn't it as good? Or what did people dislike about it specifically?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
AoE2 is my favourite game of all time. I bought the HD version, and they've totally ruined it.

Just give me AoE2, but with new stuff and you'll never hear from me again.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
AoEIII is actually quite a good game.

AoE and AoEII both have the same feel and play style whereas AoEIII came out much later and is more dynamic. The first time I played it I didn't enjoy it and put it down for a couple of years. When I finally went back to it and forced myself to give it a couple of hours I was soon hooked.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
AoEIII is actually quite a good game.

AoE and AoEII both have the same feel and play style whereas AoEIII came out much later and is more dynamic. The first time I played it I didn't enjoy it and put it down for a couple of years. When I finally went back to it and forced myself to give it a couple of hours I was soon hooked.
I think it was the setting and the fact it didn't feel like you could create an insanely large army. I also hate guns.

SmashedHombre

I think it was the setting and the fact it didn't feel like you could create an insanely large army. I also hate guns.
Yep, this is what I didn't like about it. The gunpowder era has little interest for me, with all that trade and whatnot. Just give me trebuchets and castles and little men with swords.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
AoE2 is my favourite game of all time. I bought the HD version, and they've totally ruined it.

Just give me AoE2, but with new stuff and you'll never hear from me again.
How so? It barely seemed to be HD.

SmashedHombre

How so? It barely seemed to be HD.
Huge issues with resolution and UI scaling, that made it basically unplayable for many players. And despite numerous complaints, nothing ever got done about it.

Ainu

I quite liked AoE III. I preferred the older Medieval style games but there was still some solid gameplay in AoE III. The home base mechanic was interesting. I mostly remember it being a stunning game though, buildings breaking down gradually under cannon fire looked incredibly cool back then. Still, AoE II any day of the week of course.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, but mostly just very happy that they're doing it at all.

rcoobc

Huge issues with resolution and UI scaling, that made it basically unplayable for many players. And despite numerous complaints, nothing ever got done about it.
Seriously? That's a huge shame.

It's got a Very Positive score on Steam

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Do you know if a similar issue will happen then with the definitive edition they have been talking about releasing. Apparently it will have AOE1-3 in 4K?

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
They are doing a definitive edition for 2 and 3 as well now.

SmashedHombre

Seriously? That's a huge shame.

It's got a Very Positive score on Steam
I can't remember what the exact problem was now as it pissed me off so much that I never played it again. I spent whole days trying to fix it though, but none of the mods or patches worked and many people had the same problem.

From the top of my head, you can't change the resolution of the game as it uses your desktops resolution. And some bright spark gave he HD remaster a wider screen but didn't scale the UI to match. So it ended up that people playing on certain screen sizes or 4k screens had a nice wide screen view and a tiny UI that became impossible to click on. You couldn't just simply change your desktop resolution as it would either crash the game, reset itself to default anyway or change the map resolution but not the UI resolution.

So annoying. It was impossible to read your resources at the top of the screen, and if you wanted to build something you would have to use the hot keys because you couldn't actually see the individual building icons in the corner of the map.

SmashedHombre

Do you know if a similar issue will happen then with the definitive edition they have been talking about releasing. Apparently it will have AOE1-3 in 4K?
I actually don't know tbh. It's my favourite game of all time, but since this HD remaster debacle I haven't picked it up since. I really hope not though, as I'd love to be able to play the Forgotten expansion, I've not been able to as of yet.

rcoobc

I can't remember what the exact problem was now as it pissed me off so much that I never played it again. I spent whole days trying to fix it though, but none of the mods or patches worked and many people had the same problem.

From the top of my head, you can't change the resolution of the game as it uses your desktops resolution. And some bright spark gave he HD remaster a wider screen but didn't scale the UI to match. So it ended up that people playing on certain screen sizes or 4k screens had a nice wide screen view and a tiny UI that became impossible to click on. You couldn't just simply change your desktop resolution as it would either crash the game, reset itself to default anyway or change the map resolution but not the UI resolution.

So annoying. It was impossible to read your resources at the top of the screen, and if you wanted to build something you would have to use the hot keys because you couldn't actually see the individual building icons in the corner of the map.
Sounds like you need to go old school and change the resolution of your monitor before entering the game :lol:

The must have fixed it.. surely

Lyricist

I hope you know AoE2 is still being played in full force even without the HD edition. If you have the game, get the Voobly Client, and play AoE2 with the Conquerors expansion. They add new features all the time, you can force your desktop resolution into the game. I'm playing on 1900x1200 or something like that on a 27 inch monitor. Try it.

SmashedHombre

I hope you know AoE2 is still being played in full force even without the HD edition. If you have the game, get the Voobly Client, and play AoE2 with the Conquerors expansion. They add new features all the time, you can force your desktop resolution into the game. I'm playing on 1900x1200 or something like that on a 27 inch monitor. Try it.
Yeah but I can't really play online gaming these days. I used to play Voobly, and before that on the Zone, before they closed the Zone and everyone moved onto Voobly. Even used to be a known player and play for one of the best leagues back in the day. Good times. I'd love to get back on it tbh.

Sounds like you need to go old school and change the resolution of your monitor before entering the game :lol:

The must have fixed it.. surely
Nope, it didn't work. People tried creating mods and all sorts for the problem but none of them were very effective.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Yep, this is what I didn't like about it. The gunpowder era has little interest for me, with all that trade and whatnot. Just give me trebuchets and castles and little men with swords.
Even aoe2 had guns.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Is this out yet? I still play AOE2 occasionally, played 3 when it came out but for some reason always prefered 2 so never really explored it fully. Was it any good?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Is this out yet? I still play AOE2 occasionally, played 3 when it came out but for some reason always prefered 2 so never really explored it fully. Was it any good?
No it got announced at some Microsoft event the other day, so will be a while yet I think. I need a laptop again anyway, so I'll pick this up when I do I think.

Hammerfell

No it got announced at some Microsoft event the other day, so will be a while yet I think. I need a laptop again anyway, so I'll pick this up when I do I think.
It was announced two years ago!