Agent fees

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If this is to be believed then the deal is being held up because of a greedy middleman.

Not sure how Juve and United shared the cost, but Raiola got paid 41m for the Pogba transfer. That is just criminal.

This is out of control. FIFA want to cap agent's fees, as do UEFA. There's an economic depression and a major piece of business between two football clubs is being held up - if accurately reported - due to a non-footballing-entity, a measly agent, asking for too much. Not even their asset (the player) but the agent himself.

Honestly, this is the first thing that needs to be fixed in football.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Whether it’s right or wrong, who knows, but regulating agents and fees has to be in the pipeline. Are they really, always acting in the best interest of their client?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't know how agents get away with what they do tbh, why are we paying Sancho's agent anything? Isn't that what Sancho pays him for in the first place? To represent him and get him moves/deals?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
It should be regulated so that agents can only be paid by the player.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not sure how Juve and United shared the cost, but Raiola got paid 41m for the Pogba transfer. That is just criminal
Not saying it’s right but that wasn’t an “agent fee” as we typically know it, Raiola negotiated a cut of any transfer fee when Pogba moved to Juve on a free, that all came out of what Juve received for the transfer.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not saying it’s right but that wasn’t an “agent fee” as we typically know it, Raiola negotiated a cut of any transfer fee when Pogba moved to Juve on a free, that all came out of what Juve received for the transfer.
I hadn't heard that before - so effectively 45% of his future fee. That's absolutely ludicrous. It's draining money out of football and inflating the market.

I just think it's unreal that both FIFA and UEFA have been briefing about a cap in the last year or two and still nothing. Needs to be fixed asap.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Perhaps this is why it’s taking so long? It’s not actually the 2 clubs negotiating, it’s united and the agent? Maybe this is why we’re leaving it late so the agent gets cold feet and drops his demands.

by most reports dortmund will be happy with £120m euros which we seem happy to do.

it would make sense why the deal seemed to be happening quickly until this last snag...

arthurka

There should be a top amount set on transfers. Agents getting over 40m for a transfer is of course idiotic.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
FIFA have tried so many times to curtail it and ultimately failed.
To be honest, I don't know any industry where hundreds of millions worth of assets are moved and the middlemen don't get a decent cut. This is capitalism.
You have to live with it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
To be honest, I don't know any industry where hundreds of millions worth of assets are moved and the middlemen don't get a decent cut. This is capitalism.
Have they really? I just remember seeing some declarations from both organisations about this needing to happen, with zero follow through.

Haddock

He wouldn’t get it again and he’s already said Pogba is staying.
Didn't Raiola make upwards 25m Euros when Pogba came back to United? As for him not leaving, that's only because no one can afford him thanks to Covid. This circus will be back next year if we have a below par season. (I'm not blaming Pogba who I like)

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't see anything wrong with them. And if they are not acting in the best interest of the player, the player can always fire them. If Sancho wants desperately to come to United, he can order his agent to lower his demands or lower his own salary so his agent gets his fair share.

They are just another block in the pipeline. Neither right or wrong.

Revan

Assumptionman
Didn't Raiola make upwards 25m Euros when Pogba came back to United? As for him not leaving, that's only because no one can afford him thanks to Covid. This circus will be back next year if we have a below par season. (I'm not blaming Pogba who I like)
And he literally explained in his previous post why this was the case. When Juve got Pogba for free, they had a deal with Raiola/Pogba, that a part of the transfer is going to go to them.

There is no such a deal now between Raiola/Pogba and United.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Didn't Raiola get about 40m from the Pogba transfer, because in effect he owned a share of the player?#

I thought they'd subsequently ruled out such behaviour.

This one just sounds like an agent chancing it, and asking for ludicrous figures.
If Sancho truly wants to come here, he needs to sort his agent out.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This seems unrelated to the previous posts?

xonyo

Supports
Arsenal
The thing I don't understand is how an agent that earns that much can possibly be worth it to a player? I mean, we talk about players being overpaid in general, but when an individual is overpaid compared to the rest it normally sticks out like a sore thumb in football, demonstrated with the likes of Ozil and Sanchez. If agent A gets £10m from a deal, then surely agent B who charges £2m leaves another £8m that could potentially go the the player or club.

Canuckred64

If this is to be believed then the deal is being held up because of a greedy middleman.

Not sure how Juve and United shared the cost, but Raiola got paid 41m for the Pogba transfer. That is just criminal.

This is out of control. FIFA want to cap agent's fees, as do UEFA. There's an economic depression and a major piece of business between two football clubs is being held up - if accurately reported - due to a non-footballing-entity, a measly agent, asking for too much. Not even their asset (the player) but the agent himself.

Honestly, this is the first thing that needs to be fixed in football.
I believe it shows in United's financial records which are public because the club is listed on the Stock Market that any fee that went to Pogba's agent was paid entirely by Juventus . United didn't pay anything to the agent.

NecssryEvil

No need to regulate anything. The agent is basically an employee of the player so let them hash it out. I think it is in the player's best interest too, otherwise how do I know s/he is trying to get me the best deal and not line their own pockets?

Haddock

And he literally explained in his previous post why this was the case. When Juve got Pogba for free, they had a deal with Raiola/Pogba, that a part of the transfer is going to go to them.

There is no such a deal now between Raiola/Pogba and United.
This seems unrelated to the previous posts?
Yes, I misread your initial post.
Have they really? I just remember seeing some declarations from both organisations about this needing to happen, with zero follow through.
I think FIFA recommends - so not binding - that agent's fees shouldn't exceed 3% of a player's income or the transfer fee. In practice it's often closer to 10%.
I don't know how agents get away with what they do tbh, why are we paying Sancho's agent anything? Isn't that what Sancho pays him for in the first place? To represent him and get him moves/deals?
So.....players very rarely pay their agents. Often it is the club foots the bill on behalf of the player. That's then considered as a benefit in kind by the taxman.

Agents can also act for both the buying club and the player and receive a cut from both.

ATXRedDevil

Should be a cut of the player’s deal. 10% or less of salary in US sports (and NFL caps at 3%). 10-20% of endorsement income.

they need to put in place something like the above for salary/comp and do away with fees on transfers. players and agents should be free to negotiate whatever cut on endorsements they choose.

Canuckred64

Not directly but Juve having to pay a share of the transfer fee inevitably made that fee higher.
I can see that. Since Juventus having to shell out for agent fees, they would insist on a higher transfer fee

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've never understood agent fee's

Oh, you've come to fleece us? cool! Here's a nice 10m for your service and we thank you.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I can see that. Since Juventus having to shell out for agent fees, they would insist on a higher transfer fee
They would insist on a higher fee regardless, they have no reason to sell a valuable asset for cheaper than they could.

GoldanoGraham

Agencies get their most lucrative deals for future sell ons early on with younger players - if they take on a young player they can write themselves very lucrative incentives into their first big deals - a bit like Simon Cowell does on the X-factor, where he takes an enormous slice of the pie in the early days - once established power moves to the player more and a more realistic agreement gets put in place....

of Course everything is negotiable but the starting point can be high - as must be the case here.....

football agents are unregulated and therefore So are the commission structures......only with the players consent would change be possible - and if you’ve had an agent that’s moved you around making you a fortune then your quite happy for the buying club to pay them.....

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeh, it's weird that people complain. Nobody force anyone to buy the player, if they don't like to pay the player agent's fee. Presumably the interest party already knows in advance, how much the agent want when the party talk to their client (player). You don't want to pay a dime to Raiola? Get the fcuk out from his players.

Maybe FIFA should regulate about the Player and Agent's contract. So the player has more power to get rid off the agent that he/she thinks is a hindrance to his/her career. This is more useful and make sense.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It should be the player paying the agent a commission, not the club.
How does it make any difference? Then the player will ask a much bigger sign off fee to cover his agent's.

Suedesi

How does it make any difference? Then the player will ask a much bigger sign off fee to cover his agent's.
No the player will be paid according to the wage structure at the club, and the player will pay the agent. Do we pay for Sancho's hairdresser? Lawyer? Doctor? This is stupid - you have an agent, you pay him.

At this point it feels like wild wild west, for all we know Sancho might not even want to move but is pushing his luck cuz why the fck not - we've have shown to pay crazy wages before.

Number32

Too late, UEFA and FIFA should response this problem when Westham broke the rule of third party deal in the Tevez/Mascherano transfer.

Every agent has the same strategy now, they think they own the players, and the club should pay the transfer fee for them.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I never understand how agent could earn so much money from the deal, what exactly did they contribute to deserve earning so much. Agent fee should be regulated by either 5% commission of transfer deal, or with 3m cap max.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No the player will be paid according to the wage structure at the club, and the player will pay the agent. Do we pay for Sancho's hairdresser? Lawyer? Doctor? This is stupid - you have an agent, you pay him.

At this point it feels like wild wild west, for all we know Sancho might not even want to move but is pushing his luck cuz why the fck not - we've have shown to pay crazy wages before.
This is not about the wage, but a one time sign on fee. Player will ask sign on fee for him, and for his agent. It doesn't matter if the buyer directly pay his agent, or he pays his agent. The sum that the buyer will need to pay will be the same.

I assume that these fees are known to the buyer at the beginning. And if the buyer still proceed, then it means the buyer is willing to pay these fees.
Again, no one is forcing the buyer to proceed with the transfer.

That's why it's better to regulate Player - agent contract, so if player isn't satisfied with his agent, he has more power to find a new one. So player has more power over his career, and not treated as commodity. This is more to players that don't have any say on what's on the contract, because of various reasons, so the agent is dictating players.

Last edited: