Ashling Murphy murder

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Very sad murder case in Ireland. 22 year old primary school teacher who was strangled to death while going for a jog, at 4pm.

They initially apprehended a suspect, who seemed to be likely the killer. However he’s been released and excluded from their enquiries. So the investigation continues.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
There was a bit of chat yesterday in the Sarah Everard thread about this.

Awful, tragic case but the Gardaí seemed to have got their man pretty quickly. That they haven't and the killer is still out there is a scary thought.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
There was a bit of chat yesterday in the Sarah Everard thread about this.

Awful, tragic case but the Gardaí seemed to have got their man pretty quickly. That they haven't and the killer is still out there is a scary thought.
Increases the chance it’s someone known to her (which is usually the case). Random attacks by strangers feels much more scary but is thankfully incredibly rare.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Awful awful thing to happen and it makes me sad and angry. That poor girl and her family and her school students.

I hope they catch the cnut that did it and throw him into the sea at the deepest part.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I've always been against capital punishment but sometimes it's hard to argue that in a case like this. The man responsible deserves the worst possible punishment. I hope our justice system does right by that poor woman.

Crazy to think it happened at 4pm on a busy walk way, I do wonder whether now we know it wasn't the man from yesterday if the culprit did actually know her.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Always the scariest if random, in public, at a reasonable time. Could be anyone. Life gone in an instant, families destroyed. Sickening.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ah, the just court of public opinion.
It's frustrating how useful social media can be in cases because it also has a shitty dark side like this that makes you want it to be fecked off.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He was a Romanian immigrant. You can imagine how that went down with right wing Twitter.
Same narrative to right wing Redcafe I imagine.

Terrible that it happened the poor girl but it was apparently done by a Romania national, maybe we should start double checking who’s let into the country, if they’re carrying previous convictions or not. Just seems to me if I hear a domestic murder or serious assault nowadays I seem to think foreign National because it usually turns out to be right.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Increases the chance it’s someone known to her (which is usually the case). Random attacks by strangers feels much more scary but is thankfully incredibly rare.
Yeah. The random nature of it has definitely shocked the community. There are loads of vigils in the neighbouring towns and villages this evening and over the weekend organised by community groups and GAA clubs and the likes. I've genuinely never seen an outpouring of grief like it in my life.

Always the scariest if random, in public, at a reasonable time. Could be anyone. Life gone in an instant, families destroyed. Sickening.
That canal walk is always so busy too. I said it in the other thread, you'd struggle to walk 100 metres without passing another jogger/walker/cyclist/dog walker/ someone fishing. It's crazy that this could happen.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah. The random nature of it has definitely shocked the community. There are loads of vigils in the neighbouring towns and villages this evening and over the weekend organised by community groups and GAA clubs and the likes. I've genuinely never seen an outpouring of grief like it in my life.
What really got to me was the idea of all the 7 year olds in her class being told what happened. Young kids like that can be so close to their teachers and how do you even have that conversation?

It’s not as tragic as the grief amongst close friends/family but still breaks my heart to think about.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
What really got to me was the idea of all the 7 year olds in her class being told what happened. Young kids like that can be so close to their teachers and how do you even have that conversation?

It’s not as tragic as the grief amongst close friends/family but still breaks my heart to think about.
Will be brutally difficult. Depending on the area, a lot of children that age get so much from a teacher that they don't from parents.

Conor

I wonder how much info the gardai have, it seems mad that nobody was present during the time of it occurring.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I wonder how much info the gardai have, it seems mad that nobody was present during the time of it occurring.
Can’t find it now but I read somewhere this morning that they’re looking to talk to two women who may have been witnesses. Can’t work out how they know that without having already talked to them. All a bit strange.

Withnail

I can't get my head around this at all. If it was opportunistic it's crazy that he's gotten away without being seen given the location and time of day. If she knew the person and then it's a very risky way to go about it.

Awful that something like this can happen to a young girl out for a run near her home in the middle of the day.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire

Tell me about it. I've a class of almost 30 kids of a similar age in front of me now having their lunch. The thought of having to break such news to them would break your heart.

Can’t find it now but I read somewhere this morning that they’re looking to talk to two women who may have been witnesses. Can’t work out how they know that without having already talked to them. All a bit strange.

I think they spoke to the two girls. Apparently that's what led them to the first suspect. But they were the other side of the canal. I think they contacted the Gardaí first, but identifying someone in a panic, from 10-15 metres away, maybe without getting a clear look at him, mightn't be that easy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Presumably the two women appear on CCTV either heading to or from the general direction of the incident?

Withnail

Tell me about it. I've a class of almost 30 kids of a similar age in front of me now having their lunch. The thought of having to break such news to them would break your heart.
I hadn't even thought of that. That's a grim job. Jesus :(

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
True though instinctively I would have thought that most attacks where the victim knows the perpetrator would take place in more private/domestic situations.

Attacking someone in the middle of the afternoon in a public place while they're out jogging seems so erratic and high-risk that it's hard to make sense of it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Anyone else find it odd that every single person on liberal Irish twitter wants to share an opinion on male violence this week (and the media in general is absolutely dominated by the topic) when only a very tiny proportion spoke up after a mixed race teenage girl could have been killled (ended up blinded in one eye) following a savage beating at the hands of two men over two weeks ago?

Massive Spanner

Anyone else find it odd that every single person on liberal Irish twitter wants to share an opinion on male violence this week (and the media in general is absolutely dominated by the topic) when only a very tiny proportion spoke up after a mixed race teenage girl could have been killled (ended up blinded in one eye) following a savage beating at the hands of two men over two weeks ago?
Do I find it odd that the media and general public give more of a shit when a young Irish primary school teacher is killed vs when a mixed race girl is savagely attacked? Honestly I'd find it odd if it wasn't the case, and I mean that in a very bad way. It's the world we live in.

I think, in fairness, the circumstances of this one are pretty unique. The fact that it happened in broad daylight on a popular walk way is pretty much unheard of.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That's a massive stretch to be outraged about something.

I'm sure there's plenty to be said for the coverage discrepancy between minority and white victims, but you can't equate a beating and a murder to try and support that point.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Do I find it odd that the media and general public give more of a shit when a young Irish primary school teacher is killed vs when a mixed race girl is savagely attacked? Honestly I'd find it odd if it wasn't the case, and I mean that in a very bad way. It's the world we live in.

I think, in fairness, the circumstances of this one are pretty unique. The fact that it happened in broad daylight on a popular walk way is pretty much unheard of.
Yeah, I think this one is more shocking. And obviously when someone dies the profile goes through the roof. But the issue of addressing male violence is equally relevant in both cases. And it’s always a bit queasy when the nation unites over a white middle class victim but seems less bothered by violence that affects working class minorities. Reminds me of the nationwide vigils for Sarah Everard when those two sisters being murdered in the London park barely caused a ripple.

Massive Spanner

Yeah, I think this one is more shocking. And obviously when someone dies the profile goes through the roof. But the issue of addressing male violence is equally relevant in both cases. And it’s always a bit queasy when the nation unites over a white middle class victim but seems less bothered by violence that affects working class minorities. Reminds me of the nationwide vigils for Sarah Everard when those two sisters being murdered in the London park barely caused a ripple.
For sure, I'm just not sure this is the best example. It's probably the worst crime I can think of since Ana Kriegal - who was half Russian, not that that's the same as mixed race!

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Not really, it's the nature of the beast with Twitter isn't it?

There's a lot of people out there who are more than willing to push any real sense of shock, disgust and dignity aside, and put their worldview to the forefront instead.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
That girl was reportedly harassed by her attackers over a long period of time as well, it's just so infuriating to hear. Shows how misogynistic attitudes can escalate and why they need to be challenged early doors.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
For sure, I'm just not sure this is the best example. It's probably the worst crime I can think of since Ana Kriegal - who was half Russian, not that that's the same as mixed race!
This was the first one to come to mind for me. Probably because it’s near where I live. Horrific incident where the poor girl came incredibly close to dying. I don’t remember any nationwide soul-searching about male violence at any point afterwards. She wasn’t Irish either.

I’m probably over-thinking this. Maybe it’s all about how relatable the victim is to most people? And that’s ok?

Massive Spanner

This was the first one to come to mind for me. Probably because it’s near where I live. Horrific incident where the poor girl came incredibly close to dying. I don’t remember any nationwide soul-searching about male violence at any point afterwards. She wasn’t Irish either.

I’m probably over-thinking this. Maybe it’s all about how relatable the victim is to most people? And that’s ok?
Yeah it could be, I think there's a certain race element to it but I don't think it's intentional. It just hits closer to home when it's someone of the same nationality as you. It's kinda like how that balcony collapse way over in Cali or the woman murdered in Aus got so much attention, right?

She was a young, popular, primary school teacher who played trad music, probably very relatable for a lot of people.

diarm

Just an observation, but how many threads did you yourself start about the attack on said girl two weeks ago?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I actually cannot believe he is still on the run. I just cant get my head around it

Its Tullamore ffs. Everyone knows eveyone in towns this size around the country

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Just an observation, but how many threads did you yourself start about the attack on said girl two weeks ago?
None whatsoever. Although I didn’t start this thread to gnash my teeth about male violence. As well as being desperately sad it was the unsolved murder element that made it a case that might be worth following in a thread.

Deery

Dreary
I seen a few things about the girl that got the beating and a few thousand raised on her just giving page, but yeah this case seems to have rocked the nation.

There was another girl stabbed in the attack two weeks ago as well just trying to help..

diarm

None whatsoever. Although I didn’t start this thread to gnash my teeth about male violence. As well as being desperately sad it was the unsolved murder element that made it a case that might be worth following in a thread.
Fair enough. I didn't actually mean that to read as confrontational as it looked.

I just meant to show that we all have a part to play in how our media selects what stories to receive mass attention. There will always be more noise on twitter regarding the biggest stories of the day - I'm not sure its fair to suggest there might be less if the girl involved was mixed-race. Not when we all contribute to the fact that that story wasn't the top item on the 6.1 bill for those twitter users to gnash their teeth over in the first place.