Television Alan Partridge returns - New series of This Time begins Friday April 30th, 9:30pm

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
His increasing frustration with Ruth disagreeing with everything he said was fantastic :lol:

predator

Youth NITK
Not a patch on his older work but much better than the stuff that was involved in alpha papa. I do get though that 'I'm Alan partidge' would be viewed as too dated by modern viewers but it contained his best material. Still, as a massive fan and having watched every minute of AP I will watch it all.

Sigma

That was pretty funny. Never seen Alan Partridge before (although obviously heard about him)

Chairman Steve

I’m Alan Partridge Series 1 is like The Empire Strikes Back of the Partridge universe. Nothings ever going to top it and whatever comes after it is going to be a letdown in the eyes of the diehard purists who unfairly judge against everything that comes after it against that, even though it’s a really good show/movie. Alpha Papa is a fairly decent Partridge movie and everything that has come after IAP S1 has been decent at worst.

I love reading Twitter seeing people who’ve never seen Partridge before and see them be completely confused to its humour and seeing the point whizz over their head.

Djemba-Djemba

I’m Alan Partridge Series 1 is like The Empire Strikes Back of the Partridge universe. Nothings ever going to top it and whatever comes after it is going to be a letdown in the eyes of the diehard purists who unfairly judge against everything that comes after it against that, even though it’s a really good show/movie. Alpha Papa is a fairly decent Partridge movie and everything that has come after IAP S1 has been decent at worst.

I love reading Twitter seeing people who’ve never seen Partridge before and see them be completely confused to its humour and seeing the point whizz over their head.
:lol:

That's great and I agree with you. I didn't love this episode but there were funny moments and it's only the first episode. I'm sure it'll improve.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
A lot of people on Twitter seem very confused by the idea of Partridge as a conceptual comedy, even though everything they’ve ever done with the character since it’s inception has been conceptual, with a different take in a different medium every time, and the traditional sitcom aspect (while albeit the peak) only being a fleeting part of that...

If anything, that was a lot closer to original Partridge than “I’m...” was. Also, it was pretty good.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

This Time feels like Knowing Me Knowing You Series 2, which is hilarious within the confines of the Partridgeverse because it’s his very sought after second series with the BBC.

People miss the satirical part of Partridge too. Knowing Me Knowing You was taking the piss out of Aspel, Parkinson and general 1980s-90s talk shows. This Time is taking the piss out of One Show primarily.

Last edited:

Smores

Much better than i expected, such a wonderfully pathetic character :lol:

2 man midfield

People miss the satirical part of Partridge too. Knowing Me Knowing You was taking the piss out of Aspel, Parkinson and general 1980s-90s talk shows. This Time is taking the piss out of One Show primarily.
They do? I assumed it was one of the key components of the whole thing, and that people recognised that.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
The comedy is so subtle at times I love it: for example when he mistimes his introductions and is left walking loudly across the studio for 5s.

Thought it was good overall, not laugh a minute but pretty good.

2 man midfield

The comedy is so subtle at times I love it: for example when he mistimes his introductions and is left walking loudly across the studio for 5s.

Thought it was good overall, not laugh a minute but pretty good.
Exactly. I love how the programme reflects how broadcasting has moved on since he came onto the scene, with magazine shows like the One Show etc. So now you have a man who was obviously out of his depth 25 years ago, shown to be even more adrift now. It's really well done.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Was ok but I was a bit disappointed. Hoping it will get better. I'm a massive Partridge fan by the way so perhaps I was expecting more.

Art Vandelay

I suspect the co-host stealing his jokes is going to escalate into something brilliant.

I thought it was excellent. It needs a Noel Edmunds cameo at some point. Him and his stupid Ewok head.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Coogan is actually the right age for him now. Bet he doesn’t have to spend have the time in make up.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It was good enough. I enjoyed the more subtle bits like him walking for too long. Stuff like the Clint/Fluck thing is pretty much the same gag in every series, albeit a good one.

Even the hacktivist is Colonel Kojack Slaphead.

The bits where it's supposed to cut to VT and Lynne comes in are a bit jarring too.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Loved it. Can imagine it’ll only get better. The mask of the hacktivist had me in crying.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Chinaman Square :lol:

It didn't grab me as quickly as MMM did by a long shot but I'm sure it will improve as it goes on and with multiple re-watches.

Trying to think of why it was so jarring this morning and I think oddly it's because it's too quiet. Could they have not used a studio audience like KMKY? Also stylistically it's kind of between KMKY and IAP in style which hasn't really clicked for me at the moment.

Really enjoyed the segment with him getting more and more wound up as Ruth disagreed with everything he said. I reckon some of the stuff they've started in the first episode will be built on as the series goes on (Jenny stealing his jokes is sure to flip him out if it carries on) and it will get better (fingers crossed).

Member 39557

Chinaman Square :lol:

It didn't grab me as quickly as MMM did by a long shot but I'm sure it will improve as it goes on and with multiple re-watches.

Trying to think of why it was so jarring this morning and I think oddly it's because it's too quiet. Could they have not used a studio audience like KMKY? Also stylistically it's kind of between KMKY and IAP in style which hasn't really clicked for me at the moment.

Really enjoyed the segment with him getting more and more wound up as Ruth disagreed with everything he said. I reckon some of the stuff they've started in the first episode will be built on as the series goes on (Jenny stealing his jokes is sure to flip him out if it carries on) and it will get better (fingers crossed).
I expected him to snap last night, but if they build it up over the series then the payoff when he does snap could be amazing.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The bits where it's supposed to cut to VT and Lynne comes in are a bit jarring too.
Yeah, they’re the only bits I found odd. I see why they did them, and it allows them to build jokes that pay off later, but I was instinctively thinking I’d rather watch the VTs and maintain the illusion.

2 man midfield

Yeah, they’re the only bits I found odd. I see why they did them, and it allows them to build jokes that pay off later, but I was instinctively thinking I’d rather watch the VTs and maintain the illusion.
I’m not sure, I think breaking the show up a bit works. You get the best of both worlds, we see his off camera interactions with everyone as well as the usual presenting stuff with his own VTs that we’ve seen a lot of recently anyway. I’d rather we stayed with Alan off-camera than cut to the VTs done by his co-hosts like some Philomena Cunk style thing.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Thought it was mostly rubbish, unfortunately.