Gaming Alan Wake 2

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Did you play it on release though? I feel like at the time it wouldn’t have been so bad but in 2023 it was just a bit rough. Maybe the repetition wouldn’t have been as much of an issue either if I took my time a bit more.

I won’t play the DLC for the aforementioned lack of remaster, but I’m watching through Lore Dump covering it on YouTube which is a nice fun way to go through the story.

I’ve got AW2 waiting for me so very excited to play it. More survival horror works for me so that’s something to look foreword to.
On release it felt a bit clunky, but I never really took it as an action game going for slick combat. I think gaming audiences were more forgiving towards story focused games with, lets say "functional" combat. I was basically just playing through the game to experience the story.

Overall, I'd agree with you that it wasn't bad at the time. I have the remaster sitting in my library, I'll have to give that a go and see how it compares to my experience when the game released.
No, even on release it was noted as being clunky for it's time and it very much was, the cult following and fanbase came way later than that. I played both the standard and HD versions in recent times as it's a game I go back to as I love(d) the lore of it and like I said, I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan so this kind of stuff stays with me.

It's definitely a love of the whole rather than the gameplay itself though. However I will say I liked the light stuff and the feel of the guns themselves, it's the god awful movement that is the issue. I'm not convinced the sequel makes it much better, but again it's hard for me judge as I'm likely going to love it no matter what.

The only thing that bugs me, which I repeatedly mentioned, is the whole tying into the Control world thing. I get it, and I get why, I just feel it brings down the Wake lore rather than elevates that one. But this game might prove me wrong on that, there's already something very cool I've come across which helps, so I guess I'll find out further :drool:

Woodzy

No, even on release it was noted as being clunky for it's time and it very much was, the cult following and fanbase came way later than that. I played both the standard and HD versions in recent times as it's a game I go back to as I love(d) the lore of it and like I said, I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan so this kind of stuff stays with me.

It's definitely a love of the whole rather than the gameplay itself though. However I will say I liked the light stuff and the feel of the guns themselves, it's the god awful movement that is the issue. I'm not convinced the sequel makes it much better, but again it's hard for me judge as I'm likely going to love it no matter what.

The only thing that bugs me, which I repeatedly mentioned, is the whole tying into the Control world thing. I get it, and I get why, I just feel it brings down the Wake lore rather than elevates that one. But this game might prove me wrong on that, there's already something very cool I've come across which helps, so I guess I'll find out further :drool:
I’d admit there were moments where you’d perform a nice couple of slow mo dodges and kill a few enemies and it felt quite nice to play then.

Then you had the sections where inanimate objects would fly at you while dealing with an impossible to control camera and it was rage inducing.

Ted Lasso

Got a few hours into the remake. Very intrigued but just got busy and haven't had any inclination to get back to it. Am I good to play the sequel without finishing the first? Seems like the gameplay mechanics are a lot more like what I would enjoy - is Last of Us comparison way off?

Woodzy

Got a few hours into the remake. Very intrigued but just got busy and haven't had any inclination to get back to it. Am I good to play the sequel without finishing the first? Seems like the gameplay mechanics are a lot more like what I would enjoy - is Last of Us comparison way off?
I’m gonna say absolutely not.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I played the original when it first releasd but i barely remember the story at all. I watched a recap of the story leading up to 2 on youtube, but i admit i probably should have replayed the 1st. I was just too impatient when i bought the sequel.

Ted Lasso

I played the original when it first releasd but i barely remember the story at all. I watched a recap of the story leading up to 2 on youtube, but i admit i probably should have replayed the 1st. I was just too impatient when i bought the sequel.
I guess that's a good option too - watching story recap. I just don't think I have the time to go thru the remake in full. The gaming backlog grows consistently

izzydiggler

Big fan of Remedy and even if not all their ideas are executed flawlessly, their games are always interesting/fun to play.

AW2 is no different - it’s an experience you just don’t get elsewhere with so much creativity.

Gehrman

Loving it so far. Decided on performance mode because i couldn't stop being irritated by the jag in quality mode even though the drop in graphics and atmosphere is noticeable. Im about 9 hours in so far. Will definitely replay Alan wake and try out the games leading up to this as i know im missing out on lore the preceding this. Especially Mr. Scratch. I will be sad if only have 6 hours left as the main story is clocked around 15 hours. The atmosphere is brilliant and its a truly novel experience.

Woodzy

Okay, without spoilers I’m going to say I find those overlay jump scares that the game randomly cuts to stressful and annoying.

I’ve barely gotten that far, but the one I just experienced really pissed me off and made me want to stop playing for a bit. Was just really unnecessary.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Alan Wake 2 could be a first comedy horror game. The music video scene is so feckin cringe. Still loved agent Casey going bonkers and few other subtle tributes to Twin Peaks & Silent Hill.

It's just not a game for everyone.

Selbourne

With stuff like the radio stations and TV shows and and the quirky npc conversations I can definitely see what you mean when you mentioned comedy. Not in a bad way though, that music section was fecking great!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
With stuff like the radio stations and TV shows and and the quirky npc conversations I can definitely see what you mean when you mentioned comedy. Not in a bad way though, that music section was fecking great!
Song fits the duality narrative, that's for sure. Bits with and about Thomas Zane is when the game showed dimension of mystery imo. The whole thing is a bit PSX era experience with classic FMV games from the 90s which is definitely not a bad thing.

As for technical bugs some people mentioned, it's almost obvious they're testing engine capabilities before Max Payne remake.

Gehrman

Okay, without spoilers I’m going to say I find those overlay jump scares that the game randomly cuts to stressful and annoying.

I’ve barely gotten that far, but the one I just experienced really pissed me off and made me want to stop playing for a bit. Was just really unnecessary.
They keep happening frequently throughout the game. It feels a but overused despitebeing well done.

The Firestarter

Maybe I am just immune to these, but didn't really mind them. Only game these really got me were F.E.A.R 1&2

Selbourne

I completely understand your frustration. For a very slow paced horror game to do something like that early on and throughout is so cheap and unnecessary.

Gehrman

Finished it yesterday. Hard to rate. Novel experience but i something was lacking to give it a top score. Boss fights felt half baked. Atmosphere terrific though. Around 8.5 or 9 i would give it

HookedOnAPhelan

Same. Hate shit like that.

Gehrman

Anyone got an idea why I cant skip cutscenes and dialoge on PC? It tells me to press the spacebar but nothing happens. My google searches have revealed nothing.

Also do anyone know where you can download patches if you didnt get the game through a platform like Steam? You see I found this..... Digital edition of Alan Wake 2 lying on the street so I thought I would give it a go on my PC, but I dont know how to update it.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Im playing Alan wake remastered right now. It holds up really well. Still cant remember if i played it back in 2010.

Superunknown

I restarted the first game yesterday. I made a post before in this thread about starting the game before and getting about three chapters in before life took over and I unintentionally ended up dropping it. Decided to go with the lowest difficulty as I didn't really give a shit about the combat or wanting a testing experience. On my first attempt before, I enjoyed the general atmosphere and found the story intriguing, so I made the decision from the beginning that I was in it for that.

Started the game yesterday and finished it today. Yeah, I found it much more enjoyable this time around and found the gameplay loop much less tedious to get through. The story was interesting and there's more than enough there to keep you hooked and to keep you guessing. Love the general atmosphere and vibe that the story gives off. I'm a bit of a sucker for the whole 'small American town has a problem' angle, and I did find myself wanting to see more of Bright Falls by the time the game ended. Certainly lots to talk about when the credits rolled. I've made a start with the two DLC episodes and I'm looking forward to playing the sequel a bit later on when I get the chance.

Overall, glad I went back to it and can see why it was well liked on release. The remaster holds up well. I'm not really tempted at all to go back and play it on the higher difficulties as it seems to typically be that sort of game that you play for the story and mystery, rather than the gameplay itself. That's my own view and no doubt others will feel differently.

Redlambs

I restarted the first game yesterday. I made a post before in this thread about starting the game before and getting about three chapters in before life took over and I unintentionally ended up dropping it. Decided to go with the lowest difficulty as I didn't really give a shit about the combat or wanting a testing experience. On my first attempt before, I enjoyed the general atmosphere and found the story intriguing, so I made the decision from the beginning that I was in it for that.

Started the game yesterday and finished it today. Yeah, I found it much more enjoyable this time around and found the gameplay loop much less tedious to get through. The story was interesting and there's more than enough there to keep you hooked and to keep you guessing. Love the general atmosphere and vibe that the story gives off. I'm a bit of a sucker for the whole 'small American town has a problem' angle, and I did find myself wanting to see more of Bright Falls by the time the game ended. Certainly lots to talk about when the credits rolled. I've made a start with the two DLC episodes and I'm looking forward to playing the sequel a bit later on when I get the chance.

Overall, glad I went back to it and can see why it was well liked on release. The remaster holds up well. I'm not really tempted at all to go back and play it on the higher difficulties as it seems to typically be that sort of game that you play for the story and mystery, rather than the gameplay itself. That's my own view and no doubt others will feel differently.
The gameplay is functional, I'd argue it's actually better than the sequel. But it is fair to skip it and enjoy the atmosphere more as a story game.

Because the story and mostly setting are king in these games and the Remedy world. That's what griped me, much like you I'm a sucker for that setting...I love Twin Peaks.

The sequel is absolutely great, well worth the wait. And the whole universe is something special, as much as I was against Control being brought in and what it did in many ways, Wake 2 brings it all back onto focus and we get more Bright Falls to boot.

As I've said before, look into Sam Lake and how these games tie in to each other and the lore. Some very good writing and creatives behind all this, such a shining light in the current gaming climate and what sells.

Superunknown

The gameplay is functional, I'd argue it's actually better than the sequel. But it is fair to skip it and enjoy the atmosphere more as a story game.

Because the story and mostly setting are king in these games and the Remedy world. That's what griped me, much like you I'm a sucker for that setting...I love Twin Peaks.

The sequel is absolutely great, well worth the wait. And the whole universe is something special, as much as I was against Control being brought in and what it did in many ways, Wake 2 brings it all back onto focus and we get more Bright Falls to boot.

As I've said before, look into Sam Lake and how these games tie in to each other and the lore. Some very good writing and creatives behind all this, such a shining light in the current gaming climate and what sells.
The best bits of the gameplay I liked were the more exploratory sections where you're checking a building or are reading through the manuscript pages. Even some of the more quieter sections where you're just driving in a car to a specific location or are back in New York in his apartment, I didn't really mind those as it all added up to the vibe. I actually wouldn't have minded if the combat was cut down by a third and you spent a bit more time getting to see a bit more of the town or the locals, but I also understand that in order for the darkness to be a tangible threat, you need that physical danger, so I can live with it. It does all ramp up quite nicely as the game progresses and the final chapter is very surreal.

The combat section at the farm during the 'concert' was fantastic, however. Really enjoyed that. :lol: This game has a terrific soundtrack, btw.

I've seen bits of Control from when my wife started it on the PS4, but I had zero clue what was going on. (I would occasionally glance up from the laptop or phone or whatever it was I was doing) For some reason though, it seemed to perform horribly on that console. She ended up stopping, so we may try that again on the PS5 and see how that goes. Hopefully it's better that time around. We treated Alan Wake as an interactive tv series and we played through it together over the last two days.

I'm interested to see where it all goes in Wake 2 as I'm invested now. Can definitely see that there's a lot of mileage in this story and world, and there's many routes in which one could go with it all.

Redlambs

The best bits of the gameplay I liked were the more exploratory sections where you're checking a building or are reading through the manuscript pages. Even some of the more quieter sections where you're just driving in a car to a specific location or are back in New York in his apartment, I didn't really mind those as it all added up to the vibe. I actually wouldn't have minded if the combat was cut down by a third and you spent a bit more time getting to see a bit more of the town or the locals, but I also understand that in order for the darkness to be a tangible threat, you need that physical danger, so I can live with it. It does all ramp up quite nicely as the game progresses and the final chapter is very surreal.

The combat section at the farm during the 'concert' was fantastic, however. Really enjoyed that. :lol: This game has a terrific soundtrack, btw.

I've seen bits of Control from when my wife started it on the PS4, but I had zero clue what was going on. (I would occasionally glance up from the laptop or phone or whatever it was I was doing) For some reason though, it seemed to perform horribly on that console. She ended up stopping, so we may try that again on the PS5 and see how that goes. Hopefully it's better that time around. We treated Alan Wake as an interactive tv series and we played through it together over the last two days.

I'm interested to see where it all goes in Wake 2 as I'm invested now. Can definitely see that there's a lot of mileage in this story and world, and there's many routes in which one could go with it all.
Play Control again as a pair, then Wake 2. Just like Wake, use them as a world building story, like an interactive novel. The gameplay and the exploring gets better bit by bit, but the story really opens up.

And believe me, that spoiler section? That isn't the last time you'll have that ride :lol:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Is there likely to be a physical release of this in the near future?

Can pick it up for £35 on PSN at the moment which is tempting me but I'd prefer it on disc.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
on epic games its £32 but if you get it before 9th january i think you can get remastered free with it and if you spend over a certain amount they know off about a £10 so i got alan wake 2 and the remaster for £22

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
on epic games its £32 but if you get it before 9th january i think you can get remastered free with it and if you spend over a certain amount they know off about a £10 so i got alan wake 2 and the remaster for £22
That's a good deal. I'm on PS5 though and haven't seen anything as good on that.

Redlambs

That's a good deal. I'm on PS5 though and haven't seen anything as good on that.
I don't think they've ruled out a physical release so it's possibly at some point, especially considering how well it's been received. In any case, it's a must play and it also makes Wake 1 and Control much more relevant and must plays too.

On another note, shame those useless morons at M$ still have the rights to Quantum Break. The way that ties in to all this too, and the actors involved, a sequel would be great. Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, Control...some universe!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I don't think they've ruled out a physical release so it's possibly at some point, especially considering how well it's been received. In any case, it's a must play and it also makes Wake 1 and Control much more relevant and must plays too.

On another note, shame those useless morons at M$ still have the rights to Quantum Break. The way that ties in to all this too, and the actors involved, a sequel would be great. Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, Control...some universe!
In that case I might hold out and go for another Resi 4 play through. Got right back into that after playing the DLC. I could quite happily spend a night just playing the village on mercenaries mode in all honesty.

Whilst you're here Lambo (and I know it's not the thread for it) but what are your thoughts on the psvr2?

Superunknown

Finished both DLCs/special episodes for the first game now. That was some good shit. There's a few nice mechanics that get introduced in the last episode of the base game and in the dlcs (shining your light onto words to bring them to life), which I really enjoyed. Seemed to fit in quite well to the dream/nightmarish landscape. That last special episode was particularly fun and I think I clicked with this slightly more than the other, but both were great.

Yes, glad I went back to this and stuck with it. Right up my alley with the theming and subject matter. Really looking forward to playing the next game, although I'm going to wait a little for that to maybe come down in price first or to at least pace myself with it. Going to try A Plague Tale: Requiem next before giving Control a whirl.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Finished AW2 two times, including NG+ / 'The Final Draft', which gives a more conclusive ending.
It's full of great stuff on the one hand, and a little lacking polish on the other. There's soft locks which were only introduced in the last big update, quite a few collectibles not unlocking, and an appalling amount of glitches related to the maps. Also the later part of the game feels a bit monotonous in contrast to the beginning, but it's still pretty entertaining and suspenseful.
Also it's a nice looking game, at least if you have the horsepower for the pathtraced indirect lighting and reflections. Without that it's still good looking but not especially remarkable, although the realtime shadows from the flashlight are great also without raytracing.