Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain completes his transfer to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
When we sign "top" players how does that work out for us?

Back to basics, prem proven.
How's he prem proven? He's been hot and cold since he broke out.

I think he has potential, so I wouldn't be against it if we can get a good deal. I wouldn't stress over it though, he's probably not the best you can get for the price he'd have.

Dobbs

Why would he want to come here to sit on the bench?
That's rarely how footballers think though. They believe when moving they'll get into the first team.

I like him. If he stays fit the consistency and goals/assists will follow. All those things are really just one problem.

I don't think he'll cost that much either.

MadMike

Why would he want to come here to sit on the bench?
I read the articles again and increased gaming time does not seem to be one of the things highlighted. It might be, I don't know, but it's not being reported as such. If the reports are to be believed, he's concerned about the lack of ambition form the club and what he sees as a period of huge uncertainty coming up with the biggest players (Sanchez, Ozil) and potentially Wenger on the way out.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
He's only 23?!
Did they sign him and start playing him when he was 9?

Alabaster Codify7

I'd be a bit torn here. I don't see him as being too much of an improvement on say, Lingard. But, he is English, he's young and he would be a useful squad option. However, there's no chance of him coming here IMO.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I'd take him only to be an option on the bench.

He's not the player we need in a starting eleven, but can be a much better option than Lingard.

I'd be ok if he comes to be a squad player, but I'd rather take Sanchez from them

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'd take him, but I agree he's got Liverpool written all over him if he does actually leave, which I doubt he will.

The Purley King

He is a pretty shit winger, but seems to do very well at CM. Strong, fast, good dribbler. We also have to remember he's currently playing in a side with absolutely zero management or direction.
Wouldn't mind him for £25m or thereabouts if we can get rid of Fellaini.....

POF

I really like him as a player. He's one of those players who has great ability, will play an occasional fantastic game and you'll think he's about to emerge as a real star. Then you don't notice him again for 6 months.

If he can get free of injury and play consistently at his best level he'll be one of England's best players. He definitely needs a change in coaching and environment because he's not developing at all at Arsenal.

Sparky10Legend

Is he though? He's scored 9 league goals since 2011 :lol: he's never scored more than 2 Premier League goals in a season, he's wank.

Add to that his awful injury record and he'd be a complete disaster of a signing. At this point I think Arsenal are surely looking to offload him he's not good enough.

Much as I get your angle players do improve, I well he would improve us, based on cm and this season.

Just my 2p

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Looks like a proper player in the CM role.
Yup, surprised it's taken Wenger so long to have the confidence in him to play him there.

He's a Mourinho type player as well.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Overrated

Couple of cameo moments in otherwise forgettable matches. If he was that effective then even Wenger would have played him more. I really hope we don't go for him

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Why not? With Basti and Fellaini on the way out we need another CM. The fact he can do a decent job at RW is an added bonus.
Bit of an assumption that Fellaini is on his way out.

I would say our main need is for a more defensively capable midfielder.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's only 23?!
Did they sign him and start playing him when he was 9?
I remember when Van Persie was annoyed that Oxlade got subbed in a match during the 11/12 season. He was 17 or 18 then.

Zlatattack

He's exactly the kind of player we don't need to sign. Our current first team is sitting at 6th and may well end in that position. We need to sign players who are better than our first team, or have the potential to push our first team players so they are fighting for their place and hopefully improving. The Ox is a decent player, but he's neither of those things. Signing him isn't going to put us in a position to demote Miki, Mata or Martial and he isn't good enough to put them under pressure for their place, forcing them to improve their game.

He could be great at Spurs or Liverpool or Everton where he'll be better than the current players in his positions. Also i appreciate that two out of three of those teams are higher than us in the league, but I think their best players in midfield are in central areas, not wide areas.

Revan

Assumptionman
Wouldn't touch him. He's no better than Jesse, is a perma-crock and allergic to goals. In addition to having played forever for one of the most coward teams of the recent memory.

He'll go at Liverpool IMO.

MadMike

Bit of an assumption that Fellaini is on his way out.
Maybe, but he is entering the final year of his contract and he's not been offered an extension. He is not really a proper CM anyway, we bought him on the back of him scoring 1 goal in 3 games for Everton (and being their top goalscorer) from a secondary striker position. I don't think anyone rates him as a CM?

I would say our main need is for a more defensively capable midfielder.
No doubt we'll be in for a proper DM as well and no doubt that will be the 1st priority. Carrick's contract is running out in 3 months, we'll need a long term replacement.

But look at our current list of midfielders:
-Pogba
-Herrera
-Carrick
-Schweinsteiger
-Fellaini
-Pereira (loan)

2 are at the end of their careers, one isn't even a proper mid (likely on his way out) and the other one is a youngster. Are you telling me we won't need another CM either this, or next year?

Last edited:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I think we may see a mini collapse at Arsenal in the summer.

Sanchez goners, perhaps Ozil and now the Ox.

They will be left with a very mediocre group of players if those three leaves from an already weak version of Arsenal.

Nor do I think they will attract Sanchez level players again before they significantly change their ambition and approach.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He was only really injured last year tho? He doesn't have a bad injury record. That's just a generic Arsenal reputation people seem to apply to their players.

He can actually play both RW and CM at very good level. He doesn't carry enough goal threat from the wing, so I thing CM probably suits him better but he can be a different type of RW when we need one because of his energy, strength and pace. Like Willian.

Let's be honest, Basti and Fellaini do not really have any long term future here, or they would have been offered new contracts with their existing ones entering the last 12 months. Pereira is the only player we have that can potentially claim a squad spot in CM. We need young blood in there to compete with and cover for Pogba and Herrera. Ox has been one of Arsenal's better players in this season and he's only 23 with tremendous PL and CL experience. He also has homegrown status and you weaken your rivals by signing him.

He ticks a lot of boxes. It's a no brainer for me.
CM seems his best position and from what I remember his best games have been there. Didnt he play there against Milan a few years ago in CL and was really really good. But it seems like he keeps getting stuck out wide. Even when Arsenal recently won a few games, it seemed he was centre, then just pushed out wide (for Bayern?) so they could get coquelin in (who didnt manage a tackle for about 70 minutes).
Bizarre.

Dont get the whole "he would be an upgrade on Lingard" cos I wouldnt want him out wide esp as it seems he doesnt track when playing there. The biggest problem is that it seems like hes always injured. Not sure if thats because of the way he plays (sharp turns etc).

Shocking that hes only 23 seems like hes been around for ages. He wouldnt be a starter for us but would be a good squad player to use.

Ultimately I see him going to Liverpool. Though think he would be an upgrade on Fellaini overall (even if they have different traits).
Agree with you both. Wouldn't mind him as a squad option at all, and if he manages to develop further, who knows, he could become a regular.

tomaldinho1

I reckon he will definitely move - would have thought somewhere like Everton he would almost guarantee a start and I think he would do well there.

He's a player that everyone seems to like but I'm not sure why = I think we just hope he can fulfill the potential he was meant to have. I'm sure he takes a look at how little Walcott has achieved after being touted as the next Henry as I remember rightly (admittedly his body is made of straw) and thinks Arsenal isn't the place for him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Agree with you both. Wouldn't mind him as a squad option at all, and if he manages to develop further, who knows, he could become a regular.
We have Pereira.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Wouldn't mind him at Liverpool. Think he suits our system really well. Wonder how much they'd want for him though?

MadMike

Wouldn't mind him at Liverpool. Think he suits our system really well. Wonder how much they'd want for him though?
I reckon circa £25m might do the job. They'd be hard pressed to ask for more with his contract running down and him having been in & out the squad over the last few years.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Haha Id rather we invested in a more established CM and give development minutes to Pereira.
Ox doesn't have enough minutes at CM (even though I think he is best there) but Wenger has seriously messed with his development.
We need someone who can be more readily trusted and then we can give the development time to Pereira.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
I reckon circa £25m might do the job. They'd be hard pressed to ask for more with his contract running down and him having been in & out the squad over the last few years.
Argh, 25 is a bit much.
I thought they'd let go for £15mil. I think that's more reasonable no?

AXVnee7

I'd take him here at United. I wouldn't otherwise, but his performances in CM recently suggest to me he could be very good going forward in that position, at 23 years he is young too.

Injury worries could be validated, or could be a red herring given Arsenal's overall terrible history with injuries. I notice we have a fantastic injury record now with Jose, compared to last season. We might see that same difference.

MadMike

Haha Id rather we invested in a more established CM and give development minutes to Pereira.
Ox doesn't have enough minutes at CM (even though I think he is best there) but Wenger has seriously messed with his development.
We need someone who can be more readily trusted and then we can give the development time to Pereira.
Fair enough, I might not agree but I fully understand that point of view. Not because of the Pereira part, where I agree with you he needs minutes, but more for the established CM purchase. I think it'll be tricky to find established CMs of decent quality at affordable prices.

We have been linked with average players at exorbitant prices recently. And bringing in a high quality established CM to be a squad player and sub to Pogba and Herrera doesn't really make sense to me. I'd rather have an English lad of good talent, especially if he can be got at decent price. His performances at CM have been very good too, ask any Arsenal fan. That's where I'm coming form anyway.

Argh, 25 is a bit much.
I thought they'd let go for £15mil. I think that's more reasonable no?
I guess it will depend on who shows interest. If United and Liverpool show interest, who are domestic rivals, it could be around ~£25m. If only Bournemouth were to go in for him, it might be around £15m.

Status
Not open for further replies.