Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Didn’t Bruno come from the Portuguese league after a forgettable spell in Italy?

On the other side of the coin, didn’t Rojo come from the Portuguese league as a very late in the day panic buy and look how that ones turned out......

if we are to proceed with this signing then let’s not give him £120k per week and a 5 year contract so that we can never move him on if he turns out to be shite.....
Forgettable? He moved to Italy when he was 16 and spent 4 years there, and it was probably the best career move he could have made as he learned all about the tactical discipline needed to go with his obvious talent.

Class of 63

Sourness
Well, yes, probably.

But there’s the odd decent player in the Portuguese league isn’t there? And also players often improve a lot into their mid twenties (some get worse of course).
There's plenty of decent players in Portugal but most will move on to one of the top Leagues by the time they are 23/24. There will always be exceptions but usually those that improve markedly in their mid 20's are those that came into the game late.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I find it unlikely that Alaba would come to us, just because it would be a massive step down for him in terms of winning things. Although I can't see any of the other big boys paying him the salary he is looking for except perhaps PSG and City. I would imagine out of choice he would want to work with Pep again, get paid and play in an elite side. Maybe he just wants a pay day, in which case we might be near the front of the queue.
Why haven’t PSG or City signed him yet then?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Forgettable? He moved to Italy when he was 16 and spent 4 years there, and it was probably the best career move he could have made as he learned all about the tactical discipline needed to go with his obvious talent.
To be more accurate, he did played 4 full season at Serie A at the age of 19, 20, 21, 22. He didn’t shine in the league, and did much worse as compared to Pogba at similar age there. But it doesn’t matter, he develop his game in Portugal afterwards, and he is worldclass at Man Utd now. That’s all it matters.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

There's plenty of decent players in Portugal but most will move on to one of the top Leagues by the time they are 23/24. There will always be exceptions but usually those that improve markedly in their mid 20's are those that came into the game late.
True. But he could be one of the exceptions, I suppose. Probably not.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Read the headline as 'Alexis' for some reason and got heart palpitations. The trauma is still alive and well.

wolvored

The same Salah who despite being selfish routinely has games where he does nothing? Or the same Van Dyke who routinely now gifts goals to the opposition? Or the same De Bruyne who can sometimes be poor and throw a strop yet no one talks about his attitude? Or the same Aguero who can play on periphery of games and do nothing so much so he loss his place to Gabriel Jesus more than once?

None of those players "play to their potential week in week out", whatever that means. Telles won't either as it is impossible to do for a human.

That is simply not true but this is for another thread.

Myth. Besides being better than Lingard and scoring penalties Fernandes has not changed us much as people state at all. People in here wear too much specs provided by the media companies.
You must watch a different utd to me if you can't see the difference between pre and post Bruno. Think you need to take the rose tinted pogba specs off and look again

Class of 63

Sourness
To be more accurate, he did played 4 full season at Serie A at the age of 19, 20, 21, 22. He didn’t shine in the league, and did much worse as compared to Pogba at similar age there. But it doesn’t matter, he develop his game in Portugal afterwards, and he is worldclass at Man Utd now. That’s all it matters.
Just remember reading an article on him(long before he was even linked to United) where he joked that his friends were telling him not to go to Italy at such a young age(he himself said 16/17) as it was such a weird career move. Whether it was successful or not it helped him become the player he is now, outrageously talented young midfielders are ten a penny in Portugal and if he'd stayed in Portugal at Boavista? he may well have got lost in the system.

Yep

Clermontois

Supports
France
You must watch a different utd to me if you can't see the difference between pre and post Bruno. Think you need to take the rose tinted pogba specs off and look again
Never said there was no difference, I said the difference was not as great or mythical as some people make out. If you think it was you need to take those fernandes penalty specs off.

LonelyFire

I see he’s being linked to PSG now.

I am stunned by this development and in no way did I suggest this days ago when talking on here about Pini Zahavi. I am in shock.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Bruno did very well at Udinese and fairly well with Sampdoria. He was sold because S Lisbon offered a good fee and Sampdoria couldn't afford playing him as no 10 as they had another player playing there. Imagine Pogba playing out of position with a small club that requires from him to do stuff like running, tackling and working hard to win and retain the ball

SAFMUTD

Ive seen some posters comment he had a poor year last season, its true I dont watch the Portuguese league but he managed 11 goals and 9 assist last season. I think we are looking at a 35-40M leftback here so for 20M its definately a no brainer for me, worths the gamble.

He's 27 and would really challenge Shaw for the starting place, competiting can only do us good. I feel this is exactly the kind of deals we should be making. Even in the worst scenario Im pretty sure we could recoup most of the transfer fee.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
With Jota moving on I wouldn't be surprised to see Wolves make a quick move for this guy now.

reddevilz007

So for about 18 mil, we don’t want Telles

wonder which other LBs might interest us

reddevilz007

Won't pay FC isn't it.

We could be offered prime Dennis Irwin for a great fee and we'd try lowball.
Apparently that we’re looking for someone younger to develop. So when Luke Shaw will get injured for a couple months as we all expect to happen, we’ll just throw in another unexperienced youngster.
That’s great thinking

SuperiorXI

Apparently that we’re looking for someone younger to develop. So when Luke Shaw will get injured for a couple months as we all expect to happen, we’ll just throw in another unexperienced youngster.
That’s great thinking
Open season on them too, look at the stick Williams got at times last season.

Delano

Finally some movement! Wonder if this means we are closer to selling someone...

Brophs

The One and Only
In the tweet written in French, he prefaces it with “according to a source close to Porto”. Which I reckon might be doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
David Ornstein has retweeted, something is happening.

Stretender

Close this thread Mods. People are losing the plot over any internet Gossip. United are not in for this guy. The hysteria in the Reguilon thread was ridiculous. Manchester United are not in for these players. Darren Fletcher was on Talksport this afternoon and said exactly what most of us have been saying here. He said 90 per cent of the transfer stories linked to United are lies , its just agents doing it to drum up interest in their players. Most of these stories are manufactured by these cunning agents. As much as I hate the Glazers and Woodward, the hysteria over Thiago, Bale, Reguilon has been annoying. United were never in for them and you get rival fans trying to rile up our Twitter fan base with United snubbed again comments. Literally I have got a mate who has completely lost it today. He thinks the whole world is against United hahaha.

If you go on Arsenal mania, they are saying the same thing that United have been beaten to Bale,Thiago and Reguilon. There was even a poster who said Gabriel chose Arsenal over us. When our fair weather twitter fan hears this they are embarrassing themselves online. Its pathetic. I can accept Sancho obsession because its common knowledge we want him. The irrelevant links must be shut down here.

We accuse the club of failing to deny rumours yet we promote these fake romours here.

simmee

Wonder if we will refuse to pay the asking price here as well?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
David Ornstein retweeted it for what it's worth.
Encouraging, but whenever these kind of things are close we get all of them coming out the woodwork and confirming it.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Wow, is this a reliable source these days?
Would love him at United. Just gives us another attacking option on the flanks
Here's Tier 1 on the reddit guide thing. But... let's see if Romano corroborate's the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.