Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasT1981

ANY other properly functioning club, even a mid table one would have had this type of deal wrapped up in a couple of days. It doesn't seem a complicated one. Porto looking to sell or lose for free next summer.

But of course we can't do things in a semi properly functioning way.

Leethal

Tbh asking £36.6 Million in this pandemic situation for a 28 years old left back who never reached the top level and plays in the portuguese league with only a couple of months away from being allowed to speak with other clubs to join for free is a bit cheeky and unashamed. They probably know Ed Woodward is an idiot and United are desperate so they have the courage to ask that amount with the intention of milking them but United shouldn’t give them what they want. It’s a ridiculous price.
As much as this transfer window has fecked me off thus far, I agree with this. Porto are taking the piss a bit, as it's likely our lack of activity has given them the impression that we're desperate for signings, so they're trying to take advantage of our situation.

Our transfer team must realise that the later they push things out in the transfer window, the higher the prices will always be. So by trying to haggle money off of a transfer, (such as potentially Sancho), we end up paying that money elsewhere when we go into "Fellaini" mode and try to grab someone right at the end of the window.

pogs

I actually think Woodward and Judge are not that dumb... it seems even Ed doesn't have a final say.

Listar

As much as this transfer window has fecked me off thus far, I agree with this. Porto are taking the piss a bit, as it's likely our lack of activity has given them the impression that we're desperate for signings, so they're trying to take advantage of our situation.

Our transfer team must realise that the later they push things out in the transfer window, the higher the prices will always be. So by trying to haggle money off of a transfer, (such as potentially Sancho), we end up paying that money elsewhere when we go into "Fellaini" mode and try to grab someone right at the end of the window.
I am pretty sure this will not be the case under OGS

DeeDee7

Just a thought.... But has anyone thought to themselves that these kind of dealings seem to take forever because its a bullshit rumour and were not actually in any form of negotiation as of yet or at all?

Our only signing thus far happened in a matter of 2-3 days. Just sayin.....

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

The last part is a nice observation. Good post. I would also like to think that Ed would understand the effect it has on the club, the fans etc. but shit don't change... So either they flat out do not care about the narratives being created around the club and just try to save money in any way possible which is a really defensive approach, even if it doesn't put a dent in the brand.

Why continue to do it wrong, just because you can get away with it. It just doesn't compute.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I prefer tagliafico over him but maybe we dont need a balanced LB and need a more pure attacking one more :confused:

I feel tagliafico can be Heinze 2.0 without all the Liverpool cravings.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Just a thought.... But has anyone thought to themselves that these kind of dealings seem to take forever because its a bullshit rumour and were not actually in any form of negotiation as of yet or at all?

Our only signing thus far happened in a matter of 2-3 days. Just sayin.....
Sure. But the fact we are not making move in this transfer window while all our rivals are strengthening their squad, is the biggest issue here.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I am pretty sure this will not be the case under OGS
Me too, but you know what the proof is in the pudding and it's not much Ole can do now is there. He can do as much as those before him who all had their targets mostly ignored, while having to settle for less. If you get 3 out of a list of 15 it might be good enough so that Ed thinks job done, but if all three is bottom of the pick and we paid over the odds for all those players it's not really the right way to bring about the consistency Ole is looking for. Barely improving for huge money spent = False expectations, unrealistic and toxic work environment.

Another example is Ed managing to sign one of the identified targets that's not a priority but a signing we easily could make. Imagine if we sign VDB and Telles, when we have Bruno and Shaw. Yeah, that's some cover alright but still no right winger, still playing Matic until his legs are gone, still counting on Lindelof after the CB partnership was exposed. There is issues we have, and technically it helps to limit the game time of Mata, Lingard etc when VDB comes in but.. we might just have to push Lingard or Mata out there because we keep ignoring recruiting in certain positions.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Ed doing an Ed again.

There should be a new entry in the Oxford dictionary.

To Woody (verb). ‘I totally Woodied them’. ‘They thought it would all be straightforward but then they got Woodied’.
or we could be setting an important precedent here of not overpaying given our propensity to do so previously ....but quite frankly hoping to underpay is equally silly

ravi2

The £36.6 Million is his release clause and his contract is up next year. He should go for about half of that amount, but with Matt Judge on the case anything is possible.

DeeDee7

Sure. But the fact we are not making move in this transfer window while all our rivals are strengthening their squad, is the biggest issue here.
For sure. And we will either have amo to complain or not once the window is shut Until then I wouldn't be losing my marbles over the likes of Telles and co as we have seen similar rumours that were just click bait. Social media fans complain about left back then they link us to all left backs. My bet is were not even looking at left backs.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If Porto is playing hard ball, think we will stay away and I agree with the club if they does it.We might wait a bit and go for that Ukrainian kid.

One year remaining, 27 year old - anything over 20m is too much especially given Pereira went for 25m from the same club.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It depends. Porto has to sell as he is on his last year of contract. This is a Pandemic season and clubs are desperate for money. So no,a comparison with Fellaini transfer doesn't make any sense this year

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

You do realise he will be able to sign a pre-contract with United in January and join next Summer for nothing and there is feck all Porto can do about it. The only thing in Porto's favour negotiating a fee with United at the minute is .... we have no interest in the player.

roseguy64

If we didn't panic buy last window then why would we now? Last summer we were in a worse situation squad wise.

Listar

If we didn't panic buy last window then why would we now? Last summer we were in a worse situation squad wise.
That is true. Last season was a disaster then mid season window saved us with Bruno. Maybe we are getting Sancho come next February.

Leethal

You do realise he will be able to sign a pre-contract with United in January and join next Summer for nothing and there is feck all Porto can do about it. The only thing in Porto's favour negotiating a fee with United at the minute is .... we have no interest in the player.
My comment isn't directly related to Telles, it's related to our transfer policy in general. We massively overpaid on Maguire because we dithered and portrayed desperation, same goes with Fellaini.

The longer the transfer window's run, the more desperate we look for signings, and that's when we get fleeced. Also, the selling clubs need/want compensation when you drag it out, as they won't be able to replace their player - and if they do manage to bring in a target, they have to overpay for their replacement, too, as it is known that they now have money from our transfer.

If we did our business early, instead of feckin around, we'd be in a whole lot of a better situation financially, and that's not to even mention from a footballing perspective. Player's rarely hit the ground running when joining a new club - they need time to bed in. If we bring someone in next week, realistically, he won't have as much of an impact on our results as he would have, had he had time to work with his teammates when the window opened.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
My comment isn't directly related to Telles, it's related to our transfer policy in general. We massively overpaid on Maguire because we dithered and portrayed desperation, same goes with Fellaini.

The longer the transfer window's run, the more desperate we look for signings, and that's when we get fleeced. Also, the selling clubs need/want compensation when you drag it out, as they won't be able to replace their player - and if they do manage to bring in a target, they have to overpay for their replacement, too, as it is known that they now have money from our transfer.

If we did our business early, instead of feckin around, we'd be in a whole lot of a better situation financially, and that's not to even mention from a footballing perspective. Player's rarely hit the ground running when joining a new club - they need time to bed in. If we bring someone in next week, realistically, he won't have as much of an impact on our results as he would have, had he had time to work with his teammates when the window opened.
But, but it's in a thread about Telles. There are numerous other we are crap at transfer threads available.

And the Fellaini transfer has been explained a thousand times.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

We're not signing Telles.

Same with Sancho.
Same with Upamecano.
Same with Dembele.

Same story. Different day.

Red_toad

ANY other properly functioning club, even a mid table one would have had this type of deal wrapped up in a couple of days. It doesn't seem a complicated one. Porto looking to sell or lose for free next summer.

How does anyone actually know we have any interest in him? Is it not very very typical for Portuguese clubs to leak information about United being interest in their players. Gaitan, Talisca, Mangala and Fernando, to name but a very few.
I believe Woodward did a briefing stating they were looking for a young understudy to Shaw, so Telles certainly isn't that.
If there's any interest, then United will probably go back in January and offer 6 million, as Shaw is fit currently, so there's no need for a player to sit on the bench. Porto are not in a strong position.

The Red Thinker

I don't know how you lads do it. I have given up trying refresh my twitter every 2 hours for transfers. It's all very pointless under Ed the Shed.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If anyone think that selling 1 player and buying 1 backup midfielder is an example of how a perfectly run club work then they are deluded. They are setting the manager and United to fail + they are turning this club into a joke.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

So... very similar to the Thiago deal then, which dragged on for over a month despite it being Liverpool who are the greatest ran club since time began?

I get that the people in charge of us come across as absolute morons, but we don’t have to beat them with the same stick every single time, despite us having no idea what’s actually going on

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So... very similar to the Thiago deal then, which dragged on for over a month despite it being Liverpool who are the greatest ran club since time began?

I get that the people in charge of us come across as absolute morons, but we don’t have to beat them with the same stick every single time, despite us having no idea what’s actually going on
Not really comparable though, Liverpool were in a situation where they were unsure whether Wijnaldum wanted to go to Barcelona. It didn't matter much in the end nonetheless.

Castia

This has rumbled on for 2 weeks and all they want is €25m apparently. Our window is closed, we aren’t spending another penny.

Kostov

It would have been done in fecking May actually. But hey everything is fine, everybody is overreacting.

Mr. Ant

I mean if we get Telles I will be happy but if we don't sign any right winger it's a terrible transfer window.

Greenwood is already great but we need a classic right winger in the squad because Wan Bissaka is struggling without help.
Valencia was also struggling and the fact we didn't sign a right winger in all these years is truly astonishing.

Dan_F

This has rumbled on for 2 weeks and all they want is €25m apparently. Our window is closed, we aren’t spending another penny.
Plenty of sites are reporting above £35 million, which I’d agree is a little silly for a 28 year old, with a year on his contract.

I don’t know what the answer is, but it seems we keep getting quoted ridiculous fees compared to other clubs, at point do they put their foot down and say no.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Plenty of sites are reporting above £35 million, which I’d agree is a little silly for a 28 year old, with a year on his contract.

I don’t know what the answer is, but it seems we keep getting quoted ridiculous fees compared to other clubs, at point do they put their foot down and say no.
I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems from reports we keep going through intermediaries, as opposed to direct to the club. This just bumps the price up.

Idxomer

A 28-year-old fullback in the last year of his contract who doesn't even play for his national team shouldn't be worth anything more than 20m, the club reputation of overpaying seems to always hurt in negotiations.

sewey89

A 28-year-old fullback in the last year of his contract who doesn't even play for his national team shouldn't be worth anything more than 20m, the club reputation of overpaying seems to always hurt in negotiations.
:lol:

Smores

We're asking 18 million for Smalling who is older and also in the last year of his contract. 20 million is nothing these days.

laughtersassassin

The excuses on this board for our owners/board is so funny.

This should be an easy deal to wrap. We had about 4 months to do it.

Idxomer

We're asking 18 million for Smalling who is older and also in the last year of his contract. 20 million is nothing these days.
And it doesn't look like we're getting that either for somone who is more proven, has one more on his contract, and Roma already knows he fits them well enough.

sewey89

The excuses on this board for our owners/board is so funny.

This should be an easy deal to wrap. We had about 4 months to do it.
I don't think anyone is making excuses. But we're in a climate where income is not guaranteed so it's imperative to not overpay

Lever

And it doesn't look like we're getting that either for somone who is more proven, has one more on his contract, and Roma already knows he fits them well enough.
Quite a difference between them is that Telles is a dead certain starter for Porto who would love to keep him at the club. Smalling on the other hand has been more or less offered around and the club has shown that he's not really wanted here. That makes a huge difference in negotiation positioning.

laughtersassassin

I don't think anyone is making excuses. But we're in a climate where income is not guaranteed so it's imperative to not overpay
And we had months and months to work out deals.

The minimum amount of signing this summer should have been 2 with Sancho and 3 without and that is minimum.

There was months to work out these deals and get Oles targets. At this stage the excuses have run dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.