All boycoting suggestions and comments thread.

Adebesi

I understand peoples' aversion to the idea that the club has to hit rock bottom before the utopian dream MUST envisages can be made reality. To be honest I am not altogether happy with it myself. I have been a member of MUST and SU since the threat of McManus and Magnier first came on the scene but I have always wanted an orderly transfer of ownership to the fans. Hence my disappointment at the initial failutre of a sufficient number of fans to get involved - a tenner here and a tenner there - which would have blcked Glazer's takeover in the first place. I was naive enough to think a large number could get involved with a small investment. Unfortunately that possibility has basically gone now so the most likely options are the status quo or the destruction and resurrection route (that you and many others object to).

There is also the Red Knights possibility which is a very nice idea but is, by my estimation, unrealistic. I think to be sufifciently interesting for Glazer we would have to overpay. Which would involve either high levels of debt or mass fan participation. The former being undesirable (though we could be indebted without sucking the club dry as the Glazers are doing) and the latter being unrealistic for the same reasons as were shown before the Glazers originally bought the club.

I would once have said the status quo looked like the lesser of the two evils. But the more time goes on, the more I think the Glazers are every bit the parasitical monsters some have painted them to be. Paying themselves millions out of the club's pockets for no work. Letting debts spiral upwards despite unprecedented success on the pitch. Paving the way for the sale of the training ground. It all looks very bad.

It will be a tightrope, managing a controlled explosion of the club whereby the infrastructure (training ground etc) remain in place but the Glazers are defenestrated. It may be that we have passed the point of no return and there is nothing that can be done about the damage they will inflict on us. But to conclude, I think the harm they are doing and will do to us over the coming years is equal to or greater than the harm that will come in the short term by forcing our sponsors to abandon us, asking HMRC to cut tax relief etc.

Omelettes can be very tasty. Especially with cheese and onions in them.

comlag

Cancel your MUTV

Well - what are you waiting for?

Apparently they have a subscriber base of something like 100,000 people. I know they show friendlies and academy/reserve games but 100% of revenue goes straight into Glazers pocket, presumably.

So if you are a subscriber and support the G&G campaign now is the time to cancel.

I have never had MUTV but to be honest apart from academy games I cannot see any benefit to it anyway. Whenever I see a clip someone posts it's usually utter drivel.

Someone must know how much this racks up per annum for Glazer?

twitter thread suggester
Well for those of us who enjoy watching the reserves and the academy players MUtv is a brilliant channel, and I wish it was still available here in Denmark so that I didn't have to watch it on a stream.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Jesus, easy to say cancel it when you don't have it yourself. I like the coverage of reserve/academy football.

We have lots of little revolutionaries around here around here at the moment.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's right though.

If anyone is fully committed G&G and sees this Red Knights bid as the way forward, then they should cancel their MUTV. They should also stop attending games, home and away.

Me, I'm gonna keep watching the reserve/academy games on MUTV. I enjoy it.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
The fact is 'these little revolutionaries' just want the best for the long-term future of our club. Strike while the iron is hot and we can actually feck the Glazers off.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
He's right though.

If anyone is fully committed G&G and sees this Red Knights bid as the way forward, then they should cancel their MUTV. They should also stop attending games, home and away.

Me, I'm gonna keep watching the reserve/academy games on MUTV. I enjoy it.
They should also pray that United lose football games by the same logic.

comlag

Jesus, easy to say cancel it when you don't have it yourself. I like the coverage of reserve/academy football.

We have lots of little revolutionaries around here around here at the moment.
Actually I sort of had it when I was a student and had a Eurovox (chipped cable box) and it was complete shite apart, like I say, from watching the youth.

I am saying that if people are serious about usurping the current ownership, this is the kind of thing that MUST and any of the potential buyers will ask you to do.

markorm

I understand peoples' aversion to the idea that the club has to hit rock bottom before the utopian dream MUST envisages can be made reality. To be honest I am not altogether happy with it myself. I have been a member of MUST and SU since the threat of McManus and Magnier first came on the scene but I have always wanted an orderly transfer of ownership to the fans. Hence my disappointment at the initial failutre of a sufficient number of fans to get involved - a tenner here and a tenner there - which would have blcked Glazer's takeover in the first place. I was naive enough to think a large number could get involved with a small investment. Unfortunately that possibility has basically gone now so the most likely options are the status quo or the destruction and resurrection route (that you and many others object to).

There is also the Red Knights possibility which is a very nice idea but is, by my estimation, unrealistic. I think to be sufifciently interesting for Glazer we would have to overpay. Which would involve either high levels of debt or mass fan participation. The former being undesirable (though we could be indebted without sucking the club dry as the Glazers are doing) and the latter being unrealistic for the same reasons as were shown before the Glazers originally bought the club.

I would once have said the status quo looked like the lesser of the two evils. But the more time goes on, the more I think the Glazers are every bit the parasitical monsters some have painted them to be. Paying themselves millions out of the club's pockets for no work. Letting debts spiral upwards despite unprecedented success on the pitch. Paving the way for the sale of the training ground. It all looks very bad.

It will be a tightrope, managing a controlled explosion of the club whereby the infrastructure (training ground etc) remain in place but the Glazers are defenestrated. It may be that we have passed the point of no return and there is nothing that can be done about the damage they will inflict on us. But to conclude, I think the harm they are doing and will do to us over the coming years is equal to or greater than the harm that will come in the short term by forcing our sponsors to abandon us, asking HMRC to cut tax relief etc.

Omelettes can be very tasty. Especially with cheese and onions in them.

Bravo!

I bought shares when the threat of private ownership loomed large... we just needed to buy up 25% of the company to prevent the Glazers from delisting the club from the LSE, but too many supporters stood by, scratched their heads and thought someone else would deal with it. Now we have them in and we're facing a collosal sum of money many, many times of what was required when we were still PLC, and an almost impossible situation od trying to wrestle control from a private company that, lets face it, if they don't want to sell, they don't have to.

We've also now delisted any form of transparency in the club. Before whe it was PLC, we at least knew what was hapening to the club, now it's closed doors.

So why not allow this situation to continue, the clubs doing ok yeah?

Not really, we've been saddled with such an enourmous amount of debt, we're really only here because our creditors - the banks that gave Glazer the cash to buy the club, think we're good for it, at the moment.

If we need to raise more money because the bank has demanded repayment of part or all of it's loan, where do we get the cash from?

We don't make a profit anymore, because of the debt, we have no cash lying around, because of the debt, the only assets we have is the training ground, the stadium, the players....

So, like Ronaldo, a player may have to be sold.... Carrington may have to be sold and leased back.... Old Trafford may have to be sold and leased back or sponsored. This is all a slow rot that may take years to set in, but the way the markets are, it will come.

Currently the Glazers don't want to sell, they think they can still squeeze money out of the club. If we kill their piggy bank now, with a possible offer on the table, they're probably more likely to look at the offer and walk away with a nice little profit.

If we make their business a poisoned one they'll be more inclined to off load. They're businesmen, not fools.

So why the supporters who've been woken up saying, Urgh, What's MUST? We should be all over this and knowing what's going on with the club.

We need to realise that a short sharp shot maybe better in the long term than having these parasites slowly asset strip our club, which ever the method, the end result will be the same.

Sorry... off topic a bit :nervous:

I am saying that if people are serious about usurping the current ownership, this is the kind of thing that MUST and any of the potential buyers will ask you to do.
Why not wait and see then what MUST and the Red Knights has in mind for what this takeover intends and how it can be achieved

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Tricky one that.

I think it's illegal for someone to deliberately drive down the value of a company they're looking to buy. Could be wrong though. Be interested to hear from someone who knows more about this sort of thing than me.

comlag

Tricky one that.

I think it's illegal for someone to deliberately drive down the value of a company they're looking to buy. Could be wrong though. Be interested to hear from someone who knows more about this sort of thing than me.
Yeah, but it will be done by alternative means i.e through the press, individuals speaking out and through pressure groups like MUST/IMUSA etc.

Ekeke

:lol::lol: 'Mcfeckwit' - Absolutely spot on as far as a tagline goes.

It's actually a perfectly reasonable point.
Wrong on all counts.

Its not reasonable and its not put across as a suggestion or point. It was an ill thought out challenge to mutv subscribers, which the OP isnt even one of.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
The fact is 'these little revolutionaries' just want the best for the long-term future of our club. Strike while the iron is hot and we can actually feck the Glazers off.
The little revolutionaries are calling for boycotts without thinking of any potential ramifications. They think that just by boycotting the club will magically be sold. It won't be, and people(like the crew of MUTV) will suffer.

comlag

Wrong on all counts.

Its not reasonable and its not put across as a suggestion or point. It was an ill thought out challenge to mutv subscribers, which the OP isnt even one of.
Are you saying there was no point in my suggestion to cancel MUTV?

comlag

The little revolutionaries are calling for boycotts without thinking of any potential ramifications. They think that just by boycotting the club will magically be sold. It won't be, and people(like the crew of MUTV) will suffer.
Mate, I don't believe in magic and I'm certainly no revolutionary but you know as well as I do (well I'm assuming you have a brain anyway) that the only way Glazer will be forced off of his yacht and into his office is if his revenue streams begin to slide downwards.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
To be fair, they would only suffer if MUTV was shut down or down-sized as a result of subscriptions taking a nosedive, which is unlikely.

Ekeke

Are you saying there was no point in my suggestion to cancel MUTV?
Now it was a suggestion? Read your initial post back and tell me thats a suggestion. It was a challenge and telling people who have mutv what to do from the perspective of someone who has never had mutv and doesnt know anything about it.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
The crew of MUTV would most likely be reinstated the moment somebody - or something - take control of the club. This is based on the assumption of the Glazer's automatically shutting MUTV down anyway. While a total boycott of MUTV is probably largely wishful thinking, even if say, (and here's a whimsical figure) 50k dropped out. That's what? Roughly half, MUTV would still probably operate at a profit, but the Glazers would get the message that a large majority of United fans want them gone...and while that large majority do nothing, Glazer probably couldn't give a flying feck. The Long Term Future of Our Club > MUTV. Frankly.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Yes, and put all those people who work for MUTV out of a job. Excellent.
If that is the short term solution - I think we should do it.....

Pressure must be put on the Glaziers... If Jobs are lost in the short term, so be it.

comlag

Now it was a suggestion? Read your initial post back and tell me thats a suggestion. It was a challenge and telling people who have mutv what to do from the perspective of someone who has never had mutv and doesnt know anything about it.
Challenge vs Suggestion. I'm not going to argue semantics with you, squire.