All-Ireland Championships '09

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Alright GAA fans, I spotted this on the Irish GAA Website www.hoganstand.ie & I thought I'd get the ball rolling for next years Championship. The Counties named are the Counties involved at the latter stages of this years Championship, so its not meant to offend any of you die-hard County football fanatics.

Mickey Harte had some good suggestions for a revamp of the present System to enable the importance of winning the Provincial Championship. I know of course i'm biased being a Tyrone man, but the new proposed format i think is a really good one & the same format can be used for the Hurling Championship also!

So have a wee read & see what you think & offer any suggestions you feel would maybe be more ideal for a new format!

Mickey Harte's suggested new All-Ireland GAA Format

During the summer Mickey Harte suggested that the system be rejigged to give the Provincial Champions fair play & a second chance. This is an example what he proposed:

Leinster: Dublin
Munster: Cork
Conn: Galway
Ulster: Armagh

Q1: Tyrone
Q2: Wexford
Q3: Kerry
Q4: Kildare

Stage 1:

Instead of Quarterfinals, the Qualifiers drop down to two teams:

Tyrone v Wexford ... lets say Tyrone win (Wexford are out)
Kerry v Kildare ... lets say Kerry win (Kildare are out)

... and the Provincial Champions play each other....

Dublin v Armagh ... lets say Dublin win
Galway v Cork .... lets say Cork win

Stage 2:

... and heres the important bit: the Provincial Champions who lost get a second chance:

Armagh v Kerry
Tyrone v Galway

Stage 3 - semifinals:

Dublin v Winners of Stage 2
Cork v Winners of Stage 2

Stage 4 - Final

What does this do:

- gives the losing champions another chance.
- reduces the chance of a qualifier making it to the All-Ireland Semi-Final from 50-50 to 25-75 against...

... both of which strengthens the importance of winning your Provincial Championship!!!

Dave89

Additional proposal: National League Champions should get a bye to the All-Ireland Semis....

Dave89

I would disagree, but I'm not sure we could beat them at the minute! What do you think of kyle coney heading down under?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
I would disagree, but I'm not sure we could beat them at the minute! What do you think of kyle coney heading down under?
Disappointed that he's goin Pj, he's a star for the future - hopefully for Tyrone!

Maybe he doesnt have the academic skills to obtain a decent job like alot of other players. Take for instance Seany Cavanagh is an Accountant so him goin to Australia isnt worth the money plus he loves Gaelic Football too much! Other players are teachers etc.. so they have a decent standard of living.

I dont blame any of these lads goin, the chance to earn a living at Sport is not to be sniffed at & he'll have a great time if he only lasts the 2 year contract.

It'll be hard on his parents, family & friends tho, they're the one's that kinda suffer the most when these situations arise. Not knowing if he's safe and all that. He's only 18 after all, so goin to another continent is a massive deal. I went to Oz when i was about 28 & that was a big deal, so i can only imagine what its like for an 18 yr old!

Good luck to him though - he's done the County proud & brought us home the Double & made this year the best for many a Tyrone person - including myself when you throw in the United Double aswell & meeting a beautiful Kerry lass that fallin head over heels with me :)

Dave89

Happy days man, wouldn't fancy meeting the in-laws though!

I've no idea how he can do that, I couldn't, Belfast was far enough for me, and I'm home at the weekends! But fair play to him though. Did you read Paddy Heaney's column in the Irish News a few weeks back about him?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Happy days man, wouldn't fancy meeting the in-laws though!

I've no idea how he can do that, I couldn't, Belfast was far enough for me, and I'm home at the weekends! But fair play to him though. Did you read Paddy Heaney's column in the Irish News a few weeks back about him?
They seem like normal folk & very passionate about their football like most Kerry & Tyrone folk. Havent met them yet but will do when the time is right :cool:

Nah i didnt read the article, what was the jist of it man?

Dave89

He mentioned the career thing too (he said accountants are guaranteed big salaries, hope to god he's right!) but the main point was that he was never gonna go straight into the senior squad at 18 anyway, and this way there's a good chance he'll go over there, train like mad (more than any current GAA player) and come back built like a machine.

I may be paraphrasing slightly...

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
He mentioned the career thing too (he said accountants are guaranteed big salaries, hope to god he's right!) but the main point was that he was never gonna go straight into the senior squad at 18 anyway, and this way there's a good chance he'll go over there, train like mad (more than any current GAA player) and come back built like a machine.

I may be paraphrasing slightly...
Its not really a risk him goin over in respect of what you said, but I feel Coney could of probably played games for the Seniors next year in the League or the Dr McKenna. He's built well & has a good footballing brain, so its only a matter of time before he'd make his debut.

I hope the latter is right - that he comes back built like a machine, but i wouldnt bet on it. I reckon he could do alright over there - its the homesickness element that could prevent him from gaining a career out of it. Its a long way away man, you really feel how far away it is sometimes & you miss what you've always taken for granted. I only went to Oz for a couple of weeks & then onto New Zealand for a year but i missed the people, whom are the funniest on the planet & of course my family & friends!

Dave89

I stongly believe that it should be the player's choice, but there should also be some clause in the international rules contract that clubs are compensated for the time and effort put into training the lads.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
I stongly believe that it should be the player's choice, but there should also be some clause in the international rules contract that clubs are compensated for the time and effort put into training the lads.
Its hard to compensate an amateur sporting team when the chance for professionalism for the sportman comes up. The clubs should be proud that one of their own is making waves & that he could earn a very good living out of the game, albeit a foreign one!

But a good point made though :cool:

Dave89

But is it really fair that amateurs should devote their free time to training lads out of love for their club, then to see all those evenings produce a profit for what is essentially an Australian business?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
But is it really fair that amateurs should devote their free time to training lads out of love for their club, then to see all those evenings produce a profit for what is essentially an Australian business?
Thats a very good point again, what have you been eating Mr J - Good Point Plants or sum shit? :)

Its what the GAA are up against man. Money talks blah blah blah...

Thats why there's a rule that only 2 players from here can go to an individual Aussie club in one year, so they dont take all our promising young players at once, but the other sapect is that next year they will be back or they can organise for the player to leave the County & set him up in a job until the year passes - thats my theory & it could end up being that dodgy - gettin around the small print so to speak.

Its much the same as the Prem clubs robbing the smaller clubs off their prize young bloods, but there are in most cases - compensation packages to be paid though!

The fact of the matter is that the GAA is a voluntary organisation & its for the love of Irish sport that makes folk do what they do on a wet & windy week nite in the winter. I never want to see Gaelic Football go anywhere near professionalism because money rips the soul of passion & when that happens the game becomes less important & is replaced by a new motor or trophy girlfriend :nono:

Dave89

Even without loopholes don't they have 16 teams? That's potentially 32 players - one star from every county every year if I'm not mistaken.

I would hate to see the GAA embracing professionalism, but we can't let businesses take the piss.

lem8sh

O'Shea steps down from Kingdom post:

RTÉ Sport understands that Pat O'Shea has stepped down as Kerry senior football manager, and has cited personal reasons for his decision.
The Dr Crokes clubman brings to an end a two-year reign that delivered one All-Ireland title in 2007.

Speculation has been building about his future since Kerry's All-Ireland final defeat to Tyrone, a loss which denied the Kingdom their first three in-a-row since the mid 1980s.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Even without loopholes don't they have 16 teams? That's potentially 32 players - one star from every county every year if I'm not mistaken.

I would hate to see the GAA embracing professionalism, but we can't let businesses take the piss.
Thing is man, not every county plays Football, there's a few that are purely Hurling only like Kilkenny. And out of the Counties that do play football, the quality of the youth set up isnt that great so its the traditional football counties that will suffer as the quoto of 2 per Aussie team will only affect the traditionally better Counties!

My girl loves her Football & is very supportive of Tyrone now since meetin me only a month ago - she even wore a Tyrone Lanyard to the All-Ireland final with her Kerry colours & after only a week of knowing me. She said that if a Kerry lad decided to make the move to Oz, the County would be in uproar. The Kennelly situation when he broke loose - didnt go down well there, so young players in Kerry are not champin at the bit for the glory of money like Kennelly did but are eager to emulate the many to have won an All-Ireland!

The sad & worrying part about all of this PJ is the "Nixon database" - i think thats the name. There's a database of all the best young Gaelic Footballers in the country & the idea is to hand this list to all the clubs in OZ & that process has already begun this year, so the coming years are gonna be very dangerous for our Beautiful game at grass roots!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...-on-nixons-aussie-rules-hit-list-1436244.html

feck THEM - BUNCH OF KANGAROO feckING MONGRELS :D

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
O'Shea steps down from Kingdom post:

RTÉ Sport understands that Pat O'Shea has stepped down as Kerry senior football manager, and has cited personal reasons for his decision.
The Dr Crokes clubman brings to an end a two-year reign that delivered one All-Ireland title in 2007.

Speculation has been building about his future since Kerry's All-Ireland final defeat to Tyrone, a loss which denied the Kingdom their first three in-a-row since the mid 1980s.
Sorry to hear that Lem - he's a good man is Pat & i wish him all the best. Its the nature of life that personal life has to be more important than a game, although a game we all truly love!

Any contenders in your mind to take over man?

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
All Stars Lads -

3 words

Westmeath 2 awards

feck off with youse

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
More chance of Carlow winning the Barclaycard Premiership then a match in next years championship

lem8sh

Sorry to hear that Lem - he's a good man is Pat & i wish him all the best. Its the nature of life that personal life has to be more important than a game, although a game we all truly love!

Any contenders in your mind to take over man?
Don't be sorry i'm glad he's gone, no real frontrunner yet,its gonna be very interesting

Dave89

Thing is man, not every county plays Football, there's a few that are purely Hurling only like Kilkenny. And out of the Counties that do play football, the quality of the youth set up isnt that great so its the traditional football counties that will suffer as the quoto of 2 per Aussie team will only affect the traditionally better Counties!

My girl loves her Football & is very supportive of Tyrone now since meetin me only a month ago - she even wore a Tyrone Lanyard to the All-Ireland final with her Kerry colours & after only a week of knowing me. She said that if a Kerry lad decided to make the move to Oz, the County would be in uproar. The Kennelly situation when he broke loose - didnt go down well there, so young players in Kerry are not champin at the bit for the glory of money like Kennelly did but are eager to emulate the many to have won an All-Ireland!

The sad & worrying part about all of this PJ is the "Nixon database" - i think thats the name. There's a database of all the best young Gaelic Footballers in the country & the idea is to hand this list to all the clubs in OZ & that process has already begun this year, so the coming years are gonna be very dangerous for our Beautiful game at grass roots!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...-on-nixons-aussie-rules-hit-list-1436244.html

feck THEM - BUNCH OF KANGAROO feckING MONGRELS :D
That Nixon twat appears to need a good slap.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone around these parts keen on the Hybrid Series coming up later this week?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Anyone around these parts keen on the Hybrid Series coming up later this week?
Alright Cesc - glad you joined us mate :cool:

Yeah of course we're well up for the Hybrid series, although i dont fancy our chances to be honest. You's were very impressive in the footballing dept but thugs in the general, hope you dont mind me saying that :cool:

Great that we've addressed the tackle issue but i dont think our boys will have had the seesions to get it knuckled, but the 1st game shall tell me all I need to know!

Are you goin to any of the games man?