All-time best coach of your/any country

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
In line with the best player thread: name a country's best ever coach.

A bit harder than players, I think. Here's my list so far:

Austria: Ernst Happel
Belgium: Raymond Goethals
England: Matt Busby (sure Liverpool fans will agree with this :))
France: Arsène Wenger (might be overtaken by Zidane soon)
Germany: Ottmar Hitzfeld
Italy: Marcelo Lippi (or maybe Capello)
Netherlands: Rinus Michels
Portugal: José Mourinho
Scotland: Alex Ferguson
Spain: Pep Guardiola

I'm mostly going by club trophies and general influence on football. I'm sure you could make an argument for some coaches who have won the WC/EC.

Pav1878

I'm mostly going by club trophies and general influence on football. I'm sure you could make an argument for some coaches who have won the WC/EC.

Wasn't Sir Matt Scottish?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I'm sure Scottish fans won't :)

Which leads to a very tough question... Busby or Ferguson?

Hansa

Serbian abroad (World Cup legend): Bora Milutinović
Turkey: Fatih Terim?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
England: Matt Busby

Scotland: Sir Alex Ferguson

France: Zinedine Zidane

Portugal: Jose Mourinho

Italy: Arrigo Sacchi

Hungary: Béla Guttmann

Brazil: Carlos Alberto Parreira

Argentina: Helenio Herrera

Again... ⬆⬆, Busby was Scottish :)

Red_toad

Best coaches or manager? Thread is a tad confused, Fergie was a great man manager/ team builder etc, but a great coach is very debatable.

Pav1878

Surely Carlo ancelotti over sacchi?

In that case... Brian Clough
That Forest run (2nd Div, 1st Div, Champions, European Champions) remains the most amazing story in football for me. And a lot of people forget he won the league with Derby before that which was in itself an achievement (and as an aside, he could have been one of the greatest goalscorers ever if not for injury).

It's either him or Paisley. A couple of dozen trophies in ten years including three European cups .. only Ancelotti and Zidane have done that.

Revan

Assumptionman
England is hard between Paisley and Clough. I would go with Paisley
Scotland is hard between Ferguson, Busby and Shankley. I would go with that order, so Ferguson
Argentina, Herrera easily
Netherlands, Michels win easily despite Cruyff having a good case.
Italy is really hard. I would go with Trappatoni, but Lippi and Capello are good ones too, among others.
Spain, easily Guardiola
Portugal, easily Mourinho
France, probably Wenger, followed by Zidane.
Austria, Happel the only name
Germany, probably Hitzfeld
And no idea about Brazil which is very surprising. Probably Scolari or Parreira. Do Brazilian managers suck or just I don't know many of them?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Santana is the most beloved Brazilian coach of all time but Zagallo surely has to be the most accomplished

Scotland is hard between Ferguson, Busby and Shankley. I would go with that order, so Ferguson
Italy is really hard. I would go with Trappatoni, but Lippi and Capello are good ones too, among others.
Spain, easily Guardiola
And no idea about Brazil which is very surprising. Probably Scolari or Parreira. Do Brazilian managers suck or just I don't know many of them?
France.. Hidalgo? (82 close, 84 winner, Magic Square)?

BlackShark_80

Brazil: Mario Zagallo
England: Brian Clough
France: Arsène Wenger
Germany: Udo Lattek
Italy: Vittorio Pozzo
Russia: Viktor Maslov
Ukraine: Valeriy Lobanovskyi

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
France: probably Albert Batteux. Guided the national team with Fontaine, Kopa and Jonquet to the semi-final vs. Brazil/Pelé/Didi in 1958 as well as 4th place in the inaugural European Championship in 1960. Beyond that, he was also the manager of two very important domestic teams. At Stade de Reims, he reached the final of the first ever European Cup vs. Madrid and again in 1959, won a total of 7 trophies, and also influenced Michael Hidalgo (who managed France in EURO 1984). At Saint-Étienne, he won 5 trophies and influenced Aimé Jacquet (who managed France at the 1998 World Cup). Don't think anyone else compares with his overall influence as he had a direct or indirect hand in 3 great eras of the national team (headlined by Kopa, then Platini and then Zidane), and success (still the manager with the most Ligue 1 titles and the manager of the first European powerhouse club from France).

Austria: going against the grain with Hugo Meisl. Ernst Happel is one of the most successful managers, but Meisl is the elder god — coach of the Wunderteam, influenced and was influenced by some of the most revolutionary figures in football (like Jimmy Hogan...who also influenced Gusztáv Sebes), won an Olympic gold and reached a World Cup final.

https://www.bh.org.il/blog-items/hugo-meisel-invented-football-know/

Romania: Stefan Kovács
Denmark: Richard Møller-Nielsen
Turkey: Fatih Terim
Serbia: Miljan Miljanić
Switzerland: Christian Gross
Uruguay: Roque Máspoli? Alberto Suppici? Hugo Bagnulo?

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Croatia - Tomislav Ivić

Ghana:
-From a national perspective, Charles Kumi Gyamfi Ghana have won AFCON on four occasions. Three of those were under Charles Gyamfi.

From a club football perspective, it is imperative to mention Cecil Jones Attuquayefio.
In his first year at Hearts of Oak, they won the Ghana Premier League. In his second year, they won the domestic double.
Impressively, he then improved on this accomplishment by winning the domestic treble with Hearts of Oak, under his reign,
Hearts of Oak won the African Champions League. By doing so, he disrupted the monopoly of North Africans on home shores in
affairs with continental football, and made amends for the initial failings of Heart of Oak where they were unable to adapt
to the territory of home and away games. He didn't allow the setback of defensive lynchpin Sammie Wahab who was unable to
play in the final to be to the detriment of the team. He then dismantled Zamalek at the CAF Super Cup subsequent year.
The first year concerning the formation of the CAF Confederation, Hearts of Oak took the crown. Collectively, he won a
total of ten major trophies for Hearts of Oak. Additionally, he was brave enough to convert a right back albeit an
offensively orientated one, into a striker, and he also had a galvanising influence on Asamoah Gyan at Liberty
Professionals respectively.

ReddBalls

Norway : Nils Arne Eggen

Hopefully Ole can claim this in some years.
solbakken is doing okey so far.
Exactly what I was thinking. Eggen was the SAF of Norway.

Egil "Drillo" Olsen obviously is up there as well. His results with the NT was brilliant, and I'd say he was the Mourinho to Eggen's Fergie regarding football philosophy. Drillo's methods were revolutionary in the 90's but much of it was later used with big success all over Europe. Too bad neither he or Norway adapted.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
France: probably Albert Batteux. Guided the national team with Fontaine, Kopa and Jonquet to the semi-final vs. Brazil/Pelé/Didi in 1958 as well as 4th place in the inaugural European Championship in 1960. Beyond that, he was also the manager of two very important domestic teams. At Stade de Reims, he reached the final of the first ever European Cup vs. Madrid and again in 1959, won a total of 7 trophies, and also influenced Michael Hidalgo (who managed France in EURO 1984). At Saint-Étienne, he won 5 trophies and influenced Aimé Jacquet (who managed France at the 1998 World Cup). Don't think anyone else compares with his overall influence as he had a direct or indirect hand in 3 great eras of the national team (headlined by Kopa, then Platini and then Zidane), and success (still the manager with the most Ligue 1 titles and the manager of the first European powerhouse club from France).

Austria: going against the grain with Hugo Meisl. Ernst Happel is one of the most successful managers, but Meisl is the elder god — coach of the Wunderteam, influenced and was influenced by some of the most revolutionary figures in football (like Jimmy Hogan...who also influenced Gusztáv Sebes), won an Olympic gold and reached a World Cup final.

https://www.bh.org.il/blog-items/hugo-meisel-invented-football-know/

Romania: Stefan Kovács
Turkey: Fatih Terim
Serbia: Miljan Miljanić
Switzerland: Christian Gross
Uruguay: Roque Máspoli? Alberto Suppici? Hugo Bagnulo?
Yup, I was going to say Batteux, after him it's probably Herbin and then Suaudeau.

BootsyCollins

Exactly what I was thinking. Eggen was the SAF of Norway.

Egil "Drillo" Olsen obviously is up there as well. His results with the NT was brilliant, and I'd say he was the Mourinho to Eggen's Fergie regarding football philosophy. Drillo's methods were revolutionary in the 90's but much of it was later used with big success all over Europe. Too bad neither he or Norway adapted.
Thats very accurate.
Eggen = SAF
Drillo = Mourinho

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Spain, easily Guardiola
Harsh on Jock Stein who won more than Busby and Shankly combined.

Luke1995

Just wanted to mention Gus Hiddink. What a wonderful coach! South Korea, Russia, PSV, the first stint at Chelsea... all jobs he wasn't supposed to go very far, but he did!

Chipper

Adulterer.
Maddest thing with him is that after winning the Euros he didn't even win the Danish coach of the year award.

Now I suppose it could have been a timing thing or even only open to league coaches but on paper that's bonkers.