All time best team built around Johan Cruyff

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

• Neuer as the best Menzo 'extra half a player'
  • Koeman at the back because Cruyff would prize his ability on the ball more than anything else
  • Krol and Alberto as the hybrid full-back/centre-halves he tried to model in Barcelona
  • Rijkaard/Davids in their Van Gaal roles
  • Neeskens/Cruyff axis
  • Cruyff in the 10 role to dictate the game - his ego demands that role
  • Proper, natural width to use the normal principles of a 433

Last edited:

paulscholes18

Neuer
Baresi Beckenbauer Krol
Pirlo
Falcao Neeskens
Zico
Rummenigge Cruyff Stoichkov

Sonnet XVII

This was harder than I'd thought it was going to be...lots of ideas involving Figo, Nedvěd, Rummenigge, Keizer, Lahm, Scirea, Falcão, Laudrup, Breitner, Redondo as a Guardiola-esque high impact 6, but things just seemed off for some reason.

Neeskens and Krol were non-negotiable considering their collective history, as were Gullit and Rijkaard...albeit to a lesser slightly degree as regards the historical context. Went with a vertically oriented 3-4-3/4-3-3 hybrid that's fairly easy to implement and attaches Johan v2.0 to the hip of Johan I (also reunites Baresi with Rijkaard as a defensive axis for what it's worth).

• Stoichkov and Van der Sar are generic choices, as is Davids at left half.
  • Right half proved to be a bit trickier because the nominal best is playing as point forward in this team, and some of the alternatives didn't have the greatest defensive workrate in slightly wider areas...opted for Modrić who's ascended to an elite level by now. Great technique and stamina, and can easily function in an all-star team while offering a reliable, up-tempo outlet in possession...especially in terms of vertical movement when combined with his dribbling, as opposed to sedentary passing.
  • Zanetti can function as balanced and defensively sound right-back and boasts good understanding/technique/stamina...clean fit with top-notch in-game versatility in a back 3/4.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
My original concept for my draft side was trying to maximize Sócrates and Cruyff combination which I thought would come close to maximizing Cruyff as false 9. I completely forgot about my original plan to replace Maldini with Krol for more money though

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I completely forgot about my original plan to replace Maldini with Krol for more money though
By the way, I was quite surprised by Maldini's pick. He was so expensive and the likes of Garrincha weren't even picked; while he didn't look crucial for your system. Worked well against Best though.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
By the way, I was quite surprised by Maldini's pick. He was so expensive and the likes of Garrincha weren't even picked; while he didn't look crucial for your system. Worked well against Best though.
Yeah I switched my plan when Pat went Krol, briefly thought about replacing Maldini with Krol in reinforcements then forgot about it. I really don't remember why I didn't pick Thuram then instead of Maldini during the draft though. I consider that a mistake in hindsight as you are right about his high cost and Messi also lost in the first round too. The plan was always to have the option switching to a 343 was why I picked Maldini in the first place though.
I got a little distracted from my pre-draft concept because I never ran a 343 like I originally wanted but it was close enough that it was very fun at least

idmanager

My original concept for my draft side was trying to maximize Sócrates and Cruyff combination which I thought would come close to maximizing Cruyff as false 9. I completely forgot about my original plan to replace Maldini with Krol for more money though

That looks beautiful and acheivable even with the constraints in this draft.
This thread was kind of inspired during your game :D

idmanager

This was harder than I'd thought it was going to be...lots of ideas involving Figo, Nedvěd, Rummenigge, Keizer, Lahm, Scirea, Falcão, Laudrup, Breitner, Redondo as a Guardiola-esque high impact 6, but things just seemed off for some reason.

Neeskens and Krol were non-negotiable considering their collective history, as were Gullit and Rijkaard...albeit to a lesser slightly degree as regards the historical context. Went with a vertically oriented 3-4-3/4-3-3 hybrid that's fairly easy to implement and attaches Johan v2.0 to the hip of Johan I (also reunites Baresi with Rijkaard as a defensive axis for what it's worth).

• Stoichkov and Van der Sar are generic choices, as is Davids at left half.
  • Right half proved to be a bit trickier because the nominal best is playing as point forward in this team, and some of the alternatives didn't have the greatest defensive workrate in slightly wider areas...opted for Modrić who's ascended to an elite level by now. Great technique and stamina, and can easily function in an all-star team while offering a reliable, up-tempo outlet in possession...especially in terms of vertical movement when combined with his dribbling, as opposed to sedentary passing.
  • Zanetti can function as balanced and defensively sound right-back and boasts good understanding/technique/stamina...clean fit with top-notch in-game versatility in a back 3/4.
I quite like the idea of Neeskens as the most advanced midfielder. I preferred Gullit there as he offers more of a goal threat and horizontal versatility to roam around but Neeskens sounds a very original idea there, especially considering his synergy with Cruyff.

I would definitely not use Modric there though. Seedorf would be the de facto choice if not Neeskens for me. Modric simply doesnt offer the defensive steel for me.

Zanetti again has been picked in quite a few sides in this thread. Kinda sounds a square peg in a round hole for this setup to me. Not sure if I missing something but Alberto/Thuram would be more suitable IMO.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
That looks beautiful and acheivable even with the constraints in this draft.
This thread was kind of inspired during your game :D
Cheers Id In hindsight I definitely could have reinforced better and used the 343 tactic in the SF

Also I agree about Alberto/Thuram being a better fit than Zanetti