All time British/Irish fantasy draft, Q-F: Edgar Vs Annah

Based on the players' peak, who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Team Edgar:

Team Formation
: 4-2-3-1

Versus:

Team Annah:

Formation: 4-3-3
Tactic: Defend deep - win the ball back and attack very directly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edgar's tactics:

Core Strategy:

A balanced strategy that places more emphasis on possession and flexibility of attack.

Defence:

Gemmell .. Hughes .. Mcgrath .. Cohen

Players in brief:

- Gemmell: A stalwart defender who has been voted as the LB in all time Celtic XI. He is a very aggressive defender who takes no prisoners.
- Hughes: A Liverpool legend, their first captain to life the European Cup. Recognized by Jock Stein as NT captain material, he went on to achieve that and much more.
- McGrath: One of the greatest players to come out of Ireland. Sir Alex Ferguson "You have to wonder what a player McGrath should have been." "Paul had similar problems to George Best [but] he was without doubt the most natural athlete in football you could imagine"
- Cohen: The WC winning Right Back of England. Part of Alf Ramsey's wingless wonders he is a a solid straight forward defender. Nothing flashy about the way he does his job, but operating in a formation that doesn't have the support of wingers in front, he excelled all the way to the biggest win of anyone's career!

Strategy:

For this match, both the fullbacks will be tasked to remain conservative at the back. Their primary role would be defend against my opponents wingers. This would not be a problem to Gemmell's aggression or Cohen's solidity.

Midfield:

.. Brady .Gascoigne. McManaman ..
...........Scholes...Stiles ...............

The metronomo takes his place in this team. Arguable Scholes renaissance as a DLP is the position he was world class in, and much more effective that the one that partnered Keane in the middle. Very few footballers globally can lay a claim to be able to control the game and dictate the pace and flow from the deep as good as Scholes. And who better than Stiles, the man who marked Eusebio out to partner Scholes in the middle? A total no nonsense defender who will stick to his tasks like a bulldog, his presence will in snuffing out opposition attacks and protecting the defence will make scoring against my team quite difficult. here he will be a perfect defensive foil to the playmaking of Scholes.

Strategy:

Stiles is arguably the best pure DM in this draft. In this game, he will be operating deep just in front of the defence. This puts him in the perfect place to take hold on Stan Mortensen in his false 9 role when he moves up the pitch to hold up the ball for Matthews/Best. This would also free up the CB's who can offer crucial support to the fullbacks in handling my opponents wingers. The agression of Hughes/Gemmell and flair and solidity of McGrath/Cohen added to the defensive steel of Stiles cannot be ignored. Taking away Mortensen would unbalance the strike trio and they would either have to dribble and score on their own or wait for Keane to move up, which would leave me to exploit the space he leaves behind. The pedigree of players would makes claims like "brush him off" or "take him out" nonsensical, but I can mitigate his goal threat to a great extent.

Once I have the ball, Scholes will pull the strings from the deep and he has 3 classy intelligent players in Gazza, Brady and McManaman ahead of him. The sheer flexibility this offers is unparalleled in this draft imo. Both Brady and McManaman are versatile to operate as AM, so whichever flank I decide to attack, the other would move to the middle freeing up Gazza to overload the attacking flank. It would a smooth free flowing and dynamic football which my opponent will find it difficult to counter.

Attack:

..Mark Hughes..

United fans need no introduction to Sparky. His goal scoring ability should be unquestionable, and out strategy of trying to retain possession would bring the best of his hold up play abilities and get extra goal threats in Gazza, Brady and McManaman.

Things to consider on opponent's team:

Stan Mortensen:
A CF in a 2-3-5 is far different than a False 9 in a 4-3-3. Again his hat trick heroics were in a time, both teams played 2-3-5 set up's. Vastly different from what he is playing here now. This would be a unfamiliar setup to him and that is a advantage to my team.
1) Rather than his usual 4 supporting attacking players line he only has 2 here in this game.
2) Rather than a 2 man defence supported by a 3 man midfield, here he is facing a double pivot and 4 dedicated defenders.

Imo, if you are looking at him replicating his FA Cup hat-trick heroics, you'll end up disappointed.

False 9 Strategy:

The strategy is based on the CF ("9") to drop into midfield pulling defenders out of position and bringing others into play. What I employ here is the perfect counter to that. If Mortensen drops deep, all he does would be to run into the hound dogging of Nobby Stiles. With Scholes also in that area, he will neither have the time not space to create anything or bring anyone into play. None of my CB's would follow him into the midfield as they know Stiles can take over. They will just stick to the defensive shape and stopper his wingers.

Factor in my (above mentioned) doubts on Mortensen being able to play the Messi role, this strategy would not be effective in this game at all, tbh!

Possession:

The way I'm set up with more men in the middle means that I would have the bulk possession of the ball. This would deny his team the time to move the ball and or orchestrate attack's on consistent basis. The way my opponent will be set up, would require him to have or regain possession quickly for his attacks to retain efficiency and effectiveness throughout the game. And my set up would deny him that too.

Weaker defensive Line:

He could be playing either of Sansom or McCracken at Right Back. Sansom is not a regular there as pointed out in his match with SirAF. McCracken is better as a CB too. McCracken (if played at CB) shone in a time with old offside rules. He was the reason the rule got changed, but then the change blunted his most effective weapon. Hardwick was also a LB from what I read. Personally, I think they are a very underwhelming line up. Faced against Brady's golden left foot, McManaman's sublime game play and Gazza's creative brilliance, my attack holds a definitive edge.

Bill Slater:

From what I read, Bill Slater was a Inside Forward first, Left fullback second and a midfielder last. Apart from 2 matches with England, I cannot find if he actually played in midfield more. Would appreciate more data on his midfield performances from Annah!

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Annah's tactics:

Edgar has a team best suited for a 4-4-2/5-4-1 diamond or a 4-2-2-2 which suits my team really well. His main offensive threat will come centrally which is perfect for me as I am particularly set out to be defensively rock solid there.

I will go more in depth on my players in the thread.

My front five speaks for themselves, arguably the greatest playmaker - box to box midfielder and wingers in the draft.

I have the best goalscorer/forward on the pitch in the lightning quick, Stan "electric heels" Mortensen who had a magical understanding with Matthews. Mortensen was incredible at finding his wingers behind the defensive line with a perfectly weighted pass - which will suit Best and Matthews.

He also has the fourth highest goalscoring ratios for the English NT averaging a goal a game - and scoring 30 goals in the league alone in his best season.

FWA winner of 1960, Bill Slater will be playing centrally as a defensive midfielder - not a man markingjob as it isn't needed. He is arguably the best defensive midfielder in the draft, man marking Didi[one of the best central midfielders ever] to keep Brazil goalless in the draw with post match comments like "Bill Slater completely mastered the skillful Didi" and "Bill Slater stuck to him like proverbial glue".

He also lead Wolves to victory against the legendary Honved side which consisted mainly of players from the all-conquering Hungary side who had just finished second in the World Cup in historically dominating fashion.

"Wolves greatest strength was in their half-back line, where Slater and Flowers reduced the potential effectiveness of the free-scoring Puskas and Kocsis at an almost negligible quantity. We saw some of the craft of these two fine forwards, but it was plain to see they did not like the close marking and quick tackling of their opponents."

The central defense trio is lead by the great "Gentleman George" Hardwick who will test the heart and physicality of Michael Owen. On the left of him we have Mel Hopkins - known for his

George Hardwick:
Boro’s ferrous full-back was dubbed “Gentleman George” but it was more for his engaging lady-killing charm, rakish moustache and debonair dress sense off the pitch than anything polite in his demeanour on it.

His deceptive film star façade was totally at odds with a ruthless tenacity in the tackle that made even the hardest players of the day wince.

Football was an unforgiving game in the Pathe News era of bruising forwards, no-nonsense defenders and brutal midfield hatchet man.
But even in that era of hard men, the Boro skipper had a fearsome reputation.

He had already shown he was bomb-proof when he shrugged off shrapnel injuries to both legs in a German air raid on his Isle of Sheppey RAF base in the war. The fear ofHardwick ’s crunching challenges made some household names fear the trip to Ayresome Park.

It was widely whispered that Stanley Matthews, the Wizard of the Dribble, was petrified of playing Hardwick. Matthews’ trickery had seen him weave his way to fame, side-stepping weekly scything carthorse challenges.

But Hardwick was precise in the tackle, with an instinctive reading of body language and split second timing that trumped Matthews fleet-footed trickery. He could also hit an opponent like a train. After some bruising early encounters in games and England training sessions jittery Matthews knewHardwick had his number.

Matthews was conspicuous by his absence on the team-sheet whenever Stoke or Blackpool were pitted against Boro.

And Sir Stan wasn’t the only one to shrink when faced with a player who had learned his trade in the cut-throat local leagues of Teesside.As a scrawny teenager he at South Bank East End he learned quickly to survive in physical sides peppered with cynical steelworkers and dockers out to bully the young upstart.

His toughness and an eye for exquisite pass soon attracted the big boys with Arsenal and Rangers being snubbed so he could sign for his beloved Boro. He soon became a fixture at Ayresome where he honed his tackling art that was to take him to the top of the game.

“You always you knew when you had been hit by a tackle from George,” confirmed teammate Billy Day, who took repeated blows in training.

“He was firm and fast when he went in to the challenge and accurate too. He rarely missed a tackle and he when he got the ball he rarely wasted it.”

Hardwick’s incredible career was built on that efficiency.

When he won the ball – as he invariably did – he used it with great intelligence to pick out an incisive pass that brought the best out of the mercurial movement of Wilf Mannion.

In fact his ability to use the ball and his comfort in possession prompted Brian Clough to proclaim him a revolutionary.

“He could get the ball and play it ... normally they just kick it but George used it brilliantly.”

His strength in the tackle and his ability with the ball made Hardwick a red-hot property.

When he left Boro after 166 games in a war-disrupted spell it was to Oldham for £15,000 - a world record for a full-back.

He was the first man to make his England debut as captain and the only one to skipper the side in every one of his caps, all 13 of them.

He is also the only man to captain a Great Britain side in a post-war showdown with a combined Europe side.

And he later went on to work with the Dutch FA and PSV Eindhoven and is credited in Holland as being one of the architects of “total football”.

"Hopkins showed good positional sense and a strong, fearless tackle making him one of the most highly regarded full backs in the country.

In fact, he was an accomplished all-round footballer, quick and tenacious, strong in the air, a perceptive passer and a brisk tackler."

Mel Hopkins, who played with both Blanchflower andBurgess in the "push and run" team: The upshot, after spurning interest from Matt Busby's Manchester United, was a Spurs contract as an amateur in May 1951, duly followed by a professional deal a year later.

This was a period whenArthur Rowe's exhilarating push-and-run combination, which had lifted the championships of the Football League's top two tiers in 1950 and 1951, was beginning to decline, so there was ample opportunity for promising rookies to make their mark. Accordingly, Hopkins made his senior debut as a 17-year-old at Derby in October 1952, soon emerging as a natural successor to the two men who had previously contested the left-back berth, the ageingArthur Willis and Charlie Withers.

By 1954-55 Hopkins was the regular incumbent and when he earned his first cap for Wales, against Northern Ireland at Ninian Park, Cardiff, in April 1956, he was hailed as one of the best young flank defenders in Britain. Immediately he became an automatic selection for his country, embarking on a sequence of 23 consecutive appearances, including five in the World Cup finals of 1958 in Sweden, where Wales bowed out at the quarter-final stage to the eventual winners Brazil.

That day in GothenburgHopkins shone against his direct opponent, the brilliant but bewilderingly unorthodox winger Garrincha, known in South America as "The Angel with Bent Legs", a bamboozling dribbler with a deformed spine of whom the Welshman remarked: "His legs went one way and his body went the other. It was difficult to know whether you were coming or going."Jimmy Murphy's gallant side, shorn of their own star player, John Charles, through injury, and also facing the teenage genius Pele, lost by the game's only goal but covered themselves in glory for their spirited display.

Now Hopkins, who had helped Tottenham to finish second and third in England's top flight during the previous two League campaigns, while resisting what proved to be anominously persistent challenge from the erstwhile understudy Henry, was at his zenith."

Billy McCracken

"Billy Mccracken - Belfast born - was one of the best but also most loathed footballers of his generation."

McCracken played for the English club Newcastle Unitedfrom 1904 to 1924, helping them win three League titles and the FA Cup. McCracken was so adept at catching the opposing teams forwardsoffside that he forced a change in the rules of the game. By consistently keeping clean sheets - 6 goalless draws - in one season FA decided they had to change the rules.

He was one of the games "thinkers" and he realized that by organizing his defense perfectly he could catch his opponents in offside in a manner of consistency which was terrific. One of the few players to be so effective at something that he forced the FA to first change the rule - so you couldn't be offside on throw ins - and later also the offside rule as a whole.

Almost every defense tried to copy McCracken - but none nearly as successful - which shows his great abilities as an organizer and tactician. "Repeatedly Bartrop beat Whitson and crossed the ball in to the penalty area, but big right back Billy McCrackencame across and nullified the threat every time.

He's seen as one of Newcastles greatest players ever - with 400 games before retiring.

On the left the pacey KennySansom will be playing as a full back.

Annahnomoss

Hehe, Mortensen is not playing as a false-9 here. Also I answer the Bill Slater being a wing half(defensive/central midfielder) in the write up, playing as both a more ball playing one and in some of the toughest matches as a defensive one at times even a man marker.

I am not playing an ultra deep defensive line a la catenaccio but rather one like Real Madrid under Ancelotti with a lot of work rate through out(bar Best/Ronaldo) and a great ability to win the ball bakc.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Annah playing a high risk game again in terms of antagonizing his own players: Danish shirts this time? Well, that could work, actually. But TWO captains is surely bound to end in tears...

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Hehe, Mortensen is not playing as a false-9 here. Also I answer the Bill Slater being a wing half(defensive/central midfielder) in the write up, playing as both a more ball playing one and in some of the toughest matches as a defensive one at times even a man marker.
Semantics.

Mortensen was incredible at finding his wingers behind the defensive line with a perfectly weighted pass
If he drops deeper he will just run into Stiles. No way he is playing any perfectly weighted passes in this game.

As I said, Stan's heroics and NT goal ratios were in a 2-3-5 period of time. A 4-3-3 defend deep strategy will be something he was totally alien to. Don't think he will be anywhere near his peak.

Annahnomoss

As this is quiet and I am reading some "books" from his managers and himself, I'll try to remove the part about his life and the story outside the football pitch in general. Can't directly quote anything, so have to write it all.

"With renewed vigour and confidence in himself Danny[Blanchflower] saw out the season with Barnsley, playing some of his finest football to date. Where he had always excelled going forward, his defensive game was now improving. In a game against Hull he came up against Raich Carter, The Barnsley Chronicles reported: "This was a shadow of the real Raich Carter, the Hull player-manager. The man who made the magic in the master's foot look miserably mediocrity was Blanchflower. When he was not checking a raid by Carter and company, he was prompting his forwards with a series of passes that traveled as smooth as the waters of Lough Neagh, near his native Belfast."

Michael Parkinson wrote about the glorious impact Danny had on his teammates and Gavin Smith, the outside right. "Danny would point, Gavin would gallop and at the precise moment he most wanted the ball, it would arrive in his path, perfectly weighted and so inviting it should have been edged in gilt."

"If others didn't need the early guidance[to make it as a top player] that Danny gave Maurice Norman, his leadership on the field helped later signings like Cliff Jones, John White, Les Allen and even Jimmy Greaves make the most of their ability"

He was one of the greatest tacticians of all time and as a player and captain he often made match winning tactical switches to counter the opponent managers game-plan. In a game versus West Ham at 3-1 down, he decided to send his last defender up on the corner kicks as he realized their presence was something West Ham struggled with during the game - which made for a great late equalizer. Things of the ordinary for Danny who thought he just did the job as a captain for his team when the newspapers lauded him with complements for being a genius of a footballing general. For Northern Ireland it was the same story as the manager Peter Doherty gave him the go ahead to make on field changes as he thought necessary.

"The biggest problem facing Spurs was the treatment Villa were giving Blanchflower. The Villa manager, Joe Mercer had decided to put Blanchflower out of the game" by man marking him. Some Tottenham players wouldn't pass to Danny as he was so tightly marked." Danny saw an opportunity to make man marking him in to something positive. "I took my Shadow back in to his own defense and advised[teammate] John White to exploit the space I created".

At half time Danny brought it up again to the entire team and asked why they wouldn't give him the ball.Tthe defenders replied that "You're marked" what to Danny replied "That is what Villa wants. You are doing their job for them! The solution is push-and-run, we're supposed to be good at that aren't we?[That Tottenham is known as the push-and-run team for excelling in that regard].

Give the ball to me, and I'll knock it back to you and you'll go on with it - not even a shadow is faster than a wall pass, thought Danny. In the second half Tottenham went on to dominate and win the game and the Villa marker got upset as their whole plan fell apart.

Towards his peak he was a very complete deep lying playmaker[He was extremely mobile and would after he sent the ball forward move towards it to continue and influence the game], capable of winning matches on his own with perfect performances. "Against Leicester, the adventurous Irish genius rewarded the small crowd for their loyal support by giving them a taste of the glory a team can inspire to when driven by one of the greatest wing halfs in the world.

He played like a man possessed, controlling the greasy ball as if it were attached to his boots by a piece of strings, stepping over the slippery pitch, spraying the ball around with uncanny accuracy. He won every tackle, every challenge, every fight for possession. He was playing this match for one man: Danny Blanchflower."

Annahnomoss

Semantics.

If he drops deeper he will just run into Stiles. No way he is playing any perfectly weighted passes in this game.

As I said, Stan's heroics and NT goal ratios were in a 2-3-5 period of time. A 4-3-3 defend deep strategy will be something he was totally alien to. Don't think he will be anywhere near his peak.
He wasn't someone who "dropped deeper" as much as you think he was a very fluid attacker who would surge out wide as well. He will be dropping deep when there is space there, but this is one of the fastest players in the draft we are talking about.

He was about constantly moving, when he received the ball he had the playmaking, passing and vision to find his wingers.Best and Stanley behind the line, like he did so well in Stanley's eyes when they player together.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Just so it's clear: There are some sentences cut off and whatnot in Annah's write-up: That ain't on me.

Have a look at it, @Annahnomoss - if there's something important left out you can send me the missing part(s) and I'll update the post.

Annahnomoss

Mortensen will go a bit under the radar, but he's a top striker - 22 goals in 25(fourth greatest goals per game ratio ever for England) England matches is brilliant and he was the top scorer of the league in '51 with 30 goals playing next to Stanley. Impeccable in the Cups as well - scoring in every FA Cup game he played from 1945 to 1950, which includes a hat-trick in the '48 final.

Tommy Lawton described Mortensen as "the most dangerous attacker of his day". He added: "With that curious, energetic run he has burst open more defences than any other man of his time, and I don't think I know a player who was faster off the mark than this Blackpool Bombshell was."

Stanley himself described it as "With the passing of each game, we developed a greater understanding of one another's style of play. A couple of years down the line it was as if we could read one another's minds. The on-the-field relationship was uncanny. When such a partnership is formed in football, it produces magical moments."

Matthews continues: "For a forward renowned for his goalscoring, he would often drop off quite deep to collect the ball and once he had it I'd take off down the wing. Invariably I'd never look back, the ball would be pushed in front of me to run on to, or come looping over my shoulder beautifully weighted with back spin on it so it slowed up ready for me to collect without breaking stride.

Morty
would head off for the left of the penalty spot, then with a burst of lightning speed head towards the near post. His change in direction and speed threw defenders and more often than not it meant he arrived at the near post in space. He wasn't the tallest of forwards and this I think helped him in his ability to swivel and turn his body for the arriving ball.

He was lethal in the box and pretty lethal outside it as well. He possessed a monstrous and explosive shot with either foot. For a man of his height, five feet ten, he was a match for anyone in the air. He had the uncanny knack of all great predatory strikers of being able to predict where the ball would arrive and this meant he often met it without having an aerial duel with the towering centre-half whose job it was to mark him. Once airborne, it was as if the thumb and first finger of the right hand of the good Lord had reached down, nipped the shirt on his back and held him there because Mortyseemed to defy gravity and hang in the air for ages."

Annahnomoss

Just so it's clear: There are some sentences cut off and whatnot in Annah's write-up: That ain't on me.

Have a look at it, @Annahnomoss - if there's something important left out you can send me the missing part(s) and I'll update the post.
Formating issues from quoting myself or something but it doesn't matter!

Annahnomoss

:nono: That will be Paul Scholes and Nobby Stiles, both on my team.
:) Euw, no need to go down this route in this game! Bill Slater and Nobby Stiles are impossible to separate really but IMO they are definitely the top two(someone else may be at the same level too.). Stiles has his performance against Eusebio and Slater has his performances against Didi and Puskas - which shows what both players could do on a good day.

That said, the defensive midfield role doesn't have nearly as good quality as the wingers/box to box midfielders etc of course.

Blanchflower is also arguably the best playmaker. Whether you rate Scholes or Blanchflower higher will depend on how much you rate Scholes better shooting and goalscoring - versus Blanchflower's stronger defensive and leadership abilities.

Annahnomoss

I think that Hughes is a bad choice up front here, the team lacks goals. Hughes had a goalscoring ratio of 0.27 and his highest scoring record in the league was 17.

Gazza scored 9 in his best season and Brady and weren't goalscorers at all either.

Mortensen scored 30 in his best season and Best scored 28 in his best season. That is without mentioning the fact that Best and Stanley maybe the two best wingers in the draft and overall two of the best forwards with Finney.

Stanley already played with Mortensen and they were a brilliant pairing - they also played with Finney on the left who was quite similar to Best.

Best will be in a free role here not clinging to his left, but trying to find space - get on the ball and work his magic. Matthews will be doing what he always does, stay out wide - find space and dribble past Gemmel.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Semantics.
Well, not purely. If what you're disputing is his suitability for a defensive midfielder part, I'd say you're somewhat off the mark. Here's how Wolves lined up in the famous Honved match (W-M, only including the relevant part of the team):

Stuart-----Wright-----Shorthouse
-----Slater----------Flowers

Three man back line, right half + left half (that is, in modern parlance, defensive midfielders: How defensive they were, naturally depended on the player, but Slater is as plausible in a DM role as they come.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Also, to be a pest and a pedant: Mortensen's hat-trick came in '53. He scored in the '48 final too (losing to United), but just one goal in that one.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
How defensive they were, naturally depended on the player, but Slater is as plausible in a DM role as they come.
My point was that Slater was a Keane type of DM, not a Stiles type pivot player. I don't think he will be suitable for the role he is playing in this match. A half back translates more into a box-to-box rather than a pure DM (Makelele type) which is what he requires. Not saying he will suck defensively, but that wrong player for that position/strategy.

Annahnomoss

My midfield is not just really strong defensively but Keane and Blanchflower is a really good mix of offensive abilities. Keane with his brilliant short through-balls and passes to the forwards and his energy - Blanchflower with his supreme passing range and intelligence.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I would like to touch on one of the most important points in my OP: Possession

I will definitely have the majority in this game. For he has chosen a 'quick and direct' route, yet is playing a deep line and defensive strategy. The gap between his midfield and forward line will be great for him to play this successfully.

Annahnomoss

My point was that Slater was a Keane type of DM, not a Stiles type pivot player. I don't think he will be suitable for the role he is playing in this match. A half back translates more into a box-to-box rather than a pure DM (Makelele type) which is what he requires. Not saying he will suck defensively, but that wrong player for that position/strategy.
Read my write up. You will find that he played as a pure man marking DM even at times, at the highest level.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

I would like to touch on one of the most important points in my OP: Possession

I will definitely have the majority in this game. For he has chosen a 'quick and direct' route, yet is playing a deep line and defensive strategy. The gap between his midfield and forward line will be great for him to play this successfully.
I am happy to give you possession. Matthews was a player who worked immensely for the team and Mortensen worked hard defensively as well.

Mortensen was nicknamed "electric heels in recognition of his lightning pace" - which isn't bad for someone who is the best goalscorer on the pitch who was also capable of fine link up play.

George Best will not be asked to do more than he can - he'll be free to make sure whenever I win the ball back it will hurt. Leaving a full back behind won't save you from Best nor Matthews at all.

Best is equally deadly down the middle so when he finds space there he'll be bursting towards goal in a manner no defense will be comfortable against.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Read my write up. You will find that he played as a pure man marker even at times, at the highest level.
The match against Didi.

The Brazilian match observer Eduardo Santos named him the most "perverse player" he had ever seen. Slater's game basically consisted of stamping his opponents heels and pulling them to the ground. This caused Brazil to renounce the use of their right attacker Garrincha to protect him in the group match against England, which ended 0–0.[3]
He was a hard man. I would not see him as a DM comparable to Stiles. Even ignoring the Eusebio game, Stiles was a dedicated DM playing at highest levels. I really do not see Slater as such.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm buggered if I'm going to read all that... Christ guys, what happened to the good ol' "if it doesn't fit in a PM character limit it doesn't gon on the OP"?

Think @Annahnomoss is making a huge call there going for "sit back, soak and counter very directly". EAP's doesn't strike me as a side that will expose itself at the back, not at all. All he is doing is giving him the initiative, and -while there aren't truckloads of goals in EAPs front four- given the initiative they will score.

There are times when counter-attacking is the right strategy, and there are times when you are unnecessarily asking for trouble. This is the latter IMO, he could literally spend all game seeing very little of the ball. Scholes-Brady-Gascoigne and McManaman could spend all game patiently probing and waiting for their opening, and it will come, there's too much genius there not to kill off the game when granted possession.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Matthews is against Tommy Gemmell, one of the greatest Left Backs in Scottish & Celtic history. Supporting him is Hughes, a Club and NT captain and a legend.
Best is against Cohen, a no-nonsense dogged WC winning full back. Behind him is Paul McGrath, arguably one of the greatest Irish players ever.

I do not make light of the task my defence has in this case, but I can guarantee that your wingers would not have a easy time getting past them. Stiles on Stan would close that door too. Seeing you employ a deep midfield line, I do not see much support in helping you score.

Annahnomoss

I'm buggered if I'm going to read all that... Chrsit guys, what happened to the good ol' "if it doesn't fit in a PM character limit it doesn't gon on the OP"?

Think @Annahnomoss is making a huge call there going for "sit back, soak and counter very directly". EAP's doesn't strike me as a side that will expose itself at the back, not at all. All he is doing is giving him the initiative, and -while there aren't truckloads of goals in EAPs front four- given the initiative they will score.

There are times when counter-attacking is the right strategy, and there are times when you are unnecessarily asking for trouble. This is the latter IMO, he could literally spend all game seeing very little of the ball. Scholes-Brady-Gascoigne and McManaman could spend all game patiently probing and waiting for their opening, and it will come, there's too much genius there not to kill off the game when granted possession.
I will have the ball when I win the ball back. I am not going to sit back and not fight for the ball - I have Keane - Slater and Blanchflower with Mortensen and Stanley being strong defensively. And to boost an entire front four.

Keane will be playing his regular game here - the reason I am counter-attacking is because my front three is very direct and they won't be keeping the ball passed around here.

I will work hard to win the ball back ASAP - then attack in the natural way for my forwards which will be rather direct.

I am not parking the bus or anything like that, complete misunderstanding. He has a great set of players for keeping possession and less dangerous routes towards goal so he is likely to have more of it that is all.

Annahnomoss

Matthews is against Tommy Gemmell, one of the greatest Left Backs in Scottish & Celtic history. Supporting him is Hughes, a Club and NT captain and a legend.
Best is against Cohen, a no-nonsense dogged WC winning full back. Behind him is Paul McGrath, arguably one of the greatest Irish players ever.

I do not make light of the task my defence has in this case, but I can guarantee that your wingers would not have a easy time getting past them. Stiles on Stan would close that door too. Seeing you employ a deep midfield line, I do not see much support in helping you score.
Keane is a box to box midfielder like for United. So you are saying he was too deep to support his offense for United? Blanchflower will also move forward - they are covered by a defensive midfielder in Slater.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Eh? A Keane type of player? Based on what?

Slater was a very decent passer, but he wasn't very offensive at all. A much purer DM than Keane, if you will.

You can't generalize like you seemingly do and claim that all halves were box-to-box players: They obviously weren't. You had the whole range from pure destroyers to playmakers - and box-to-boxers in between.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Keane is a box to box midfielder like for United. So you are saying he was too deep to support his offense for United? Blanchflower will also move forward - they are covered by a defensive midfielder in Slater.
United does not often employ a deep defensive line strategy. Keane certainly did not play in that The Keane you mention was a defensive minded box-to box in a open 4-4-2 formation. Totally different formation and strategy. No, I don't you'll get the normal Keane impact in your team at all!

Annahnomoss

United does not often employ a deep defensive line strategy. Keane certainly did not play in that The Keane you mention was a defensive minded box-to box in a open 4-4-2 formation. Totally different formation and strategy. No, I don't you'll get the normal Keane impact in your team at all!
United played a deep line mainly under Fergie. I am not playing anything like a park the bus team here - but I am not defending at the midfield line.

Keane will do what he does best - next to a partner who is similar in intelligence and playing style to Scholes. He'll be free to make his box to box runs in the offense and be the dominating player he was in the defense.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I will have the ball when I win the ball back. I am not going to sit back and not fight for the ball - I have Keane - Slater and Blanchflower with Mortensen and Stanley being strong defensively. And to boost an entire front four.

Keane will be playing his regular game here - the reason I am counter-attacking is because my front three is very direct and they won't be keeping the ball passed around here.

I will work hard to win the ball back ASAP - then attack in the natural way for my forwards which will be rather direct.

I am not parking the bus or anything like that, complete misunderstanding. He has a great set of players for keeping possession and less dangerous routes towards goal so he is likely to have more of it that is all.
You have Mortensen and Matthews defending and you aren't parking the bus? Either you are parking the bus or looking quite vulnerable, because your midfield three have their work cut out handing over the initiative to the likes of Scholes, Brady and Gascoigne. You actually have Blanchflower on his strongest side, not Keane, which is bizarre to say the least.

My biggest issue though is I can't bring myself to rate your back four. They all sound like they are cut from the same thuggish cloth. In that sense, Hughes is absolutely the right man to have up there, he won't be easily scared ol' Sparky.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
4-3-3 is an attacking formation. Annah is playing a deep defensive line with this formation. And even in a deep defensive line, he still expects both Keane and Blanchflower to do box-to-box, a la United. :nervous:

OK, assuming even if Keane does his box to box he still has to get past Scholes, who off possession would not be swanning around. Using Keane as a regular source of attacking prowess is desperation times.

Annahnomoss

You have Mortensen and Matthews defending and you aren't parking the bus? Either you are parking the bus or looking quite vulnerable, because your midfield three have their work cut out handing over the initiative to the likes of Scholes, Brady and Gascoigne. You actually have Blanchflower on his strongest side, not Keane, which is bizarre to say the least.

My biggest issue though is I can't bring myself to rate your back four. They all sound like they are cut from the same thuggish cloth. In that sense, Hughes is absolutely the right man to have up there, he won't be easily scared ol' Sparky.
Bayern always parks the bus? I think I may have been unclear in the write-up but I am by no means parking the bus. Stanley and Mortensen will do a defensive job for a winger and a striker.

My defensive line has Sansom who had incredible pace - Mel Hopkins also had good pace and technique and Hardwick is the only real steel mill player - yet he was a brilliant ball playing centre back. McCracken relied primarily on brilliant intelligence, positioning and so forth and I have three extremely good headers and Sansom was good in the air too.

I have a good mix of pace, a hard man and intelligence to be fair.

Annahnomoss

4-3-3 is an attacking formation. Annah is playing a deep defensive line with this formation. And even in a deep defensive line, he still expects both Keane and Blanchflower to do box-to-box, a la United. :nervous:

OK, assuming even if Keane does his box to box he still has to get past Scholes, who off possession would not be swanning around. Using Keane as a regular source of attacking prowess is desperation times.
Didn't think you of all people would start arguing at that level! Yawn. I will ignore it. Blanchflower isn't a box to box player - he's a playmaker.

Also a 4-3-3 is an attacking formation? I will be playing like Real/United 07-08/Chelsea, two brilliant wingers and a pacey forward and in the defense two of them will do their duties great. You're the one who insists I will be playing my defensive line just in front of my goalkeeper not me.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Imagine the scenes here: Scholes with an atrocious tackle on Keano, who then proceeds to pay him back with a Haaland number. It'll be ugliness on a brand new level.

Annahnomoss

Imagine the scenes here: Scholes with an atrocious tackle on Keano, who then proceeds to pay him back with a Haaland number. It'll be ugliness on a brand new level.
Then Scholes gets his vengeance with a nasty "mistimed" tackle. :lol: