All Time Chain Draft - R1: Tuppet/VivaJ vs bleezy

With players at career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

....................................Team Tuppet/Viva.........................................................................................Team bleezy...........................................

Team Tuppet:

Formation: Fluid 4-2-3-1

Attack:
Our attack is based on the genius of one of history’s greatest and most unique attacking midfielder in Ruud Gullit. He is playing in his favored free attacker role here, in which he has full freedom of dropping deep to help in “Midfield battle” or use Benzema’s excellent hold up play to score or to drift right when Nedved drops deep. His versatility and physicallity means he is already a very very hard player to defense against, and in this particular match the lack of a proper defensive midfielder in Bleezy’s side and his overall average central defense means, Gullit is going to have field day. I don’t think that either Mendieta or Albertini would be able to stop him.

He is supported by a fellow Balon D’or winner in Pavel Nedved and one of best player in his generation Del Piero. A perfect combination of graft and trickery, Nedved is one of the best wide playmaker to ever play the game. Here he would be performing multiple functions, helping out Retuer against Stochikov whenever he naturally drifts to left side, providing overlaps for Reuter’s marauding runs, helping in midfield and playmaking from wide areas providing crosses and through balls for Gullit and Benzema to finish. Del Piero on the other hand is more of a left forward then a winger, he would be operating in his trademark “del piero zone” approaching from left flank to center of pitch. Equally good for goals, assist and general attacking trickery, he would be too much for Orue and I would assume Cafu has to spend a lot of time minding him.

Finally up top I have Benzema, immensely underrated the frenchman has been leading both his country and one of the best club sides in the world for sometime now. Benzema is a fantastic attacker with no real flaw to his game. Good at finishing, air, hold up play and technically impeccable, he provides a perfect foil for Gullit and Del pierro. His movement (very underrated btw) is going to cause all sort of problems for Bleezy’s defenders. This scenario is also very familiar to him as he is used to play in front of a trio of talented attacker in Ronaldo, James, Bale and his movement and technical proficiency has helped players behind him score shitload of goals. I can see something like this happening with Gullit - Benzema -

Midfield:
In center midfield we have the duo of Makelele and Van Hanegem. Both of these players are among best players in there position. In Van Hanegem I have one of the greatest and most complete central midfielder. Fantastic passing range, excellent in the air, great stamina and a tough tackler, he is an extraordinary playmaker. With the supporting cast around him (Makelele, Gullit, Nedved) he is going to own the midfield.

Makelele is going to play well, the Makelele role of which he is obviously the master. Shielding the back four and keeping tabs on Laudrup, would be his job. The Danish Maestro is the biggest source of creativity in Bleezy’s team and I can’t think of a player better than Makelele to keep him quite. Excellent in positioning and tactical discipline, he would expertly protect the back line. If Laudrup is playing too deep however (where he would not be too dangerous) and Stochikov is playing as more of an AMC, Makelele would go to work on him.

Defense:
Finally in defense I have the 2 Italian legends in Nesta - Costacurta. I don’t really have to say much about them, just that they are comfortably better than all of Bleezy’s defenders. On the right side I have another fantastic defender in Stefan Reuter, one of the best physical full back, equally good at attacking and defending. His great pace and physicality means he would be able to keep up with Stoichkov whenever he face him, and with Nedved providing overlap he would be a great attacking threat as well. On the left side Arbeloa is going to be his solid disciplined defender self. Now Arbeloa is no Maldini, but he is a reliable defender who has played in biggest tournaments and best club sides and has been always very consistent. Anyway there is no proper right winger in Bleezy’s team and I don’t think Arbeloa would face much problems.

Why would we win:

Bleezy has a great side, fortunately for us our side is perfectly suited to counter his strengths and attack his weak points.

1. We counter his attacking threats well, cutting supplies to Batigol all over the pitch. Makelele would keep Laudrup relatively quite while Stochikov drifting toward left side would play in Nesta - Reuter - Nedved zone, and I think they would be able to handle him most of the time. Stochikov could be deployed as a free attacker and could try his luck on the right side but there he faces Arbeloa - Costacurta which is not going to easy to break either.

2. Gullit has the freedom of the pitch, there is no one picking him. The best player in the park is given the license to do his will is not going to end well for any opposition. I think Albertini is probably going to be deployed as defensive midfielder but he is not the type to stop Gullit.

3. I am not sure how Orue would be deployed, from whatever I have read he seem an average Right back earning 3 caps for Spain and spending all of his career in Bilbao. But surely he won’t be starting over Cafu, so I think its going to be a 3 man defense, with Orue as an RCB. Its a very average central defense with Ayala - Alexanko - Orue, is without much midfield protection. I would back my quartet of Gullit - Nedved - Del Piero - Benzema to get the better of them.

4. Overall better midfield, with oodles of work rate and energy.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Team bleezy:

Defence

• In goal we have José Ángel Iribar, Spain Euro 64 winning goalkeeper and an Athletic Bilbao legend. Considered the greatest Bilbao keeper ever and an extremely solid goalkeeper for my side.
  • José Orúe was part of the legendary Athletic Bilbao side which halted the dominance of Real Madrid and Barcelona in the 1950's. While Madrid and Barca naturalised players like Di Stefano and Kubala dominated the decade, Bilbao enjoyed unlikely success winning the La Liga and cup double in 1955/56. Bilbao also won a further two Copa Del Rey's in 1955 and 1958, the latter with a 2-0 win over a Di Stefano-led Real Madrid. Orúe was a key part of this side, standing as the 4th highest appearance maker in club history. He played right defence in a 3-2-5 formation, and will be in a similar role today in a 3 man defence, able to play both in central defence and cover for Cafu when he surges forward.
  • José Ramón Alexanko is the leader of the team, just as he was captain of Barcelona through both the mid-80's and through the Cruyff Dream Team era. Alexanko was a natural libero and plays that role in this side. He brings to this side intelligence, leadership, strength. Another player to come from Bilbao, he'll form a natural partnership with Orue and Iribar, as well as form the bridge with the rest of the ball playing team. Cruyff often gave Alexanko the freedom to surge forward, a tactic that brought a lot of goals for him, and this is something he could do in this game when needed.
  • Roberto Ayala is one of the best defenders Argentina has produced. He won two La Liga's with Valencia and earned 115 caps for his national side. Ayala was a natural defender who was always dominant in the air and another leader. Has come up against the very best and more than held his own, as below:

Wing backs

• Cafu is quite simply one of the greatest right backs of modern times, if not all time. A tireless full back who will get up and down the flank all game long, but also with the Brazilian quality to match.
  • Antonio Benarrivo on the left flank is one of the all time great Italian full backs. He was capable of playing on either flank, such was his quality, and often in a 3-5-2 as either a full back, wing back, or wide midfielder. Benarrivo was noted for his quality going forward but retained that typical Italian defending ability.
  • Cafu and Benarrivo here will provide natural width for the side, with both extremely adept at getting forward and when defending. Both will provide crosses for Batistuta, and stretch play to allow Laudrup the space to manouevre.
Midfield

• Demetrio Albertini is, as he so often was for AC Milan, The Metronome. Everything will go through Albertini. An exceptional passer of the ball, both short and long distance, but also a very hard worker who was comfortable in possession and off the ball. Albertini will help to control the game from deep, setting off a passing game that Laudrup and Mendieta will thrive on.
  • Gaizka Mendieta is an incredibly well rounded midfielder who at his peak was considered the best midfielder in the world. Twice helped Valencia to be runners up in the Champions League, scoring double figures for four consecutive seasons with the club. Mendieta will also put in a shift defensively, but be given the freedom to affect the game up top where he was so talented. An incisive passer of the ball who will feed Batistuta and Stoichkov, but also pose a big goalthreat himself.
  • Michael Laudrup is the star of this team as one of the greatest playmakers of all time. An exceptional footballer, with style and grace, brilliant on the ball whether passing or gliding past the opposition, and an all round joy to watch. Laudrup will orchestrate the team from the front with class, linking up with Stoichkov, and working his magic as he so often did as part of the Dream Team.

Attack

• Up front with the freedom to drift anywhere across the line is Hristo Stoichkov. A real handful of a player who brings pace, creativity, and an eye for goal. Stoichkov is a Ballon d'Or winner and links up here with his Dream Team partner Laudrup. Capable of playing in any position along the front three or even dropping deeper to create, Stoichkov will benefit greatly from the space Batistuta creates for him, and also bring Laudrup and Mendieta into the game higher up the pitch.
  • Gabriel Batistuta is one of the deadliest strikers I have seen. Incredibly powerful and natural in front of goal, Batigol scored 182 goals in Serie A against the famously tough defences of the time. Up against Italian defenders like Nesta and Costacurta, he will not be intimated and will prove a real threat. Strong in the air and a venomous shot, and the ability to score all sorts of goals. He will be fed by crosses from Cafu and Benarrivo, and playmaking from Laudrup, Mendieta and Albertini, Batistuta is the perfect man to lead the line.

VivaJanuzaj

Kills me to say one of my favourite players of all times in Laudrup being utterly wasted here. He's not the type of player who will work his socks off in midfield and playing him in a 5-3-2 won't work.

My biggest problem is the fact that I can't understand how our opponent decided to play a narrow formation when he has Stoichkov, and when in the middle we have so many muscle between Gullit-Van Hanegem-Makalele-Nesta-Costacurta. Nothing shall pass from the middle, seriously.

diarm

Not sure how much I like that shape @bleezy . As Viva mentioned, I don't know if you're getting the best from Laudrup and Stoichkov there.

Really liking Tuppets side. That Makelele/van Hanegem/Gullit trio looks lovely and Del Piero and Nedved are in exactly the positions you'd want to see them. Arbeloa is the only weak link in this company and I don't think bleezy has the personnel or shape to punish that. Benzema is probably the next weakest contributor but he'll still be dangerous working off the creations of Nedved, Del Piero and Gullit.

I'll wait to read some of the debate, particularly on how bleezy intends to use that back 6 to frustrate their attack but it's looking quite comfortable this one.

VivaJanuzaj

Not sure how much I like that shape @bleezy . As Viva mentioned, I don't know if you're getting the best from Laudrup and Stoichkov there.

Really liking Tuppets side. That Makelele/van Hanegem/Gullit trio looks lovely and Del Piero and Nedved are in exactly the positions you'd want to see them. Arbeloa is the only weak link in this company and I don't think bleezy has the personnel or shape to punish that. Benzema is probably the next weakest contributor but he'll still be dangerous working off the creations of Nedved, Del Piero and Gullit.

I'll wait to read some of the debate, particularly on how bleezy intends to use that back 6 to frustrate their attack but it's looking quite comfortable this one.
We opt for Benzema as we feel like with DelPiero-Nedved-Gullit all more than capable of scoring, and with Benzema you get not only a striker to pull defenders with his smart movement but someone who can set-up others to score quite comfortably.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Viva/Tuppet, Why a 4-2-3-1 when your team will make a better christmas tree or a diamond? Because of LB?

@bleezy same with your formation. Just play Albertini and Mendieta as midfielders with Laudrup ahead and behind the strikers. The formation picture looks quite haphazard and confusing.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
brilliant team from tuppet and viva, love the fact they picked Benzema, underrated player.

diarm

We opt for Benzema as we feel like with DelPiero-Nedved-Gullit all more than capable of scoring, and with Benzema you get not only a striker to pull defenders with his smart movement but someone who can set-up others to score quite comfortably.
Yeah I can understand that. When I say weaker I only mean in relation to the immense quality of this draft. He'll be really effective here and with that quality around him. I'm very impressed with your side.

diarm

Viva/Tuppet, Why a 4-2-3-1 when your team will make a better christmas tree or a diamond? Because of LB?
I think it's because of the great width and attacking license Nedved gives from that position. A diamond suggests (to me anyway) that he'll be more invested in the midfield battle (where they're hardly short!) and won't have the freedom he does here.

VivaJanuzaj

Yeah I can understand that. When I say weaker I only mean in relation to the immense quality of this draft. He'll be really effective here and with that quality around him. I'm very impressed with your side.
Yeah exactly, of course he's not from the best in the draft and probably one of the worst strikers if not the worst, but Benzema brings something other than goal threat with his ability to set-up others.

VivaJanuzaj

@bleezy same with your formation. Just play Albertini and Mendieta as midfielders with Laudrup ahead and behind the strikers. The formation picture looks quite haphazard and confusing.
I can't see what a diamond or a Christmas tree will give our side something it currently lacks.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Tuppet's team is better off with an overlapping left back than a right one. Almost no misses in their team other than Arbeola and may be Benzema. Breaking bleezy's 5 man defense could be an issue but here Benz + Del Piero + Nedved + Guilt should have enough in their locker for it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm surprised Bleezy's not gone for more of a conventional 3-4-1-2 with Laudrup in the hole and Stoichkov as a more roamy striker, Albertini and Mendieta more level. And his defenders look like they're having a cup of tea on the edge of the D.

Again another case where one team spells out its names in full, especially Stephan and Claudio, and looks like they've got the park better covered.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm surprised Bleezy's not gone for more of a conventional 3-4-1-2 with Laudrup in the hole and Stoichkov as a more roamy striker, Albertini and Mendieta more level. And his defenders look like they're having a cup of tea on the edge of the D.
Heh, yeah - I'd change the illustration. It's mainly a visual/presentation thing, though.

Seems to me like Stoichkov, for instance, will operate precisely as a roamy striker (drifting wide, dropping deep), which is a grand role for him.

Laudrup too will basically play the game he's known for, having Albertini and Mendieta doing the lifting. Both are capable of that to a large degree, while still being capable of much more, so I don't really see much of a balance issue there.

Moby

Dick
Heh, yeah - I'd change the illustration. It's mainly a visual/presentation thing, though.

Seems to me like Stoichkov, for instance, will operate precisely as a roamy striker (drifting wide, dropping deep), which is a grand role for him.

Laudrup too will basically play the game he's known for, having Albertini and Mendieta doing the lifting. Both are capable of that to a large degree, while still being capable of much more, so I don't really see much of a balance issue there.
True, tactically it is fine. Hristo as a roaming forward is a great role for him and there's ample width coming from Cafu and Bennarivo anyway.

VivaJanuzaj

True, tactically it is fine. Hristo as a roaming forward is a great role for him and there's ample width coming from Cafu and Bennarivo anyway.

But not in this setup it's not the right way. Our strength is when defending from the middle. The core starts way up from Gullit to Van Hanegem in the middle to Makalele-Nesta-Costacurta in the middle, yeah Hristo and Laudrup are capable for those positions but not attacking the flank with Hristo against that build is just the wrong way. You've got Makalele-Nesta-Costacurta he's trying to attack when Arbeloa is happily sitting on the left side just needing to face Cafu

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Nedved, Del Piero and Benzema is some attack with Gullit in behind and Makelele shielding the defence. Two very solid CBs as well, really impressive side, gets my vote.

Shame because Stoichkov, Laudraup and Batistuta are pretty impressive as well.

Akshay

Staff
I like the balance of Tuppet's team. I doubt Benarrivo can handle both Nedved and Reuter, and is probably going to end up pinned back as a result. That would force either Laudrup or Stoichov wider than they would like.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But not in this setup it's not the right way. Our strength is when defending from the middle. The core starts way up from Gullit to Van Hanegem in the middle to Makalele-Nesta-Costacurta in the middle, yeah Hristo and Laudrup are capable for those positions but not attacking the flank with Hristo against that build is just the wrong way. You've got Makalele-Nesta-Costacurta he's trying to attack when Arbeloa is happily sitting on the left side just needing to face Cafu
He's playing with two dedicated wing backs. And "just needing to face Cafu" isn't quite as simple as you seem to imply.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Yeah it's all about presentation frankly. Their role are fairly obvious when you mull it over, but instant appeal needs a clear and clean team-sheet.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Ooof, love that team from Viva/Tuppet.

Arbeloa sorely needs to go in the upgrades and I disagree on the Benzema praise, for me he's pretty weak at this level. The midfield looks fantastic though and Claudio is just the man to anchor it - very nicely balanced even with all that offensive talent in there.

Bleezy's team actually has a lot to like about it as well, though I agree with Chester/Gio that it could be presented better and the formation doesn't sit quite right with those players.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I like the balance of Tuppet's team. I doubt Benarrivo can handle both Nedved and Reuter, and is probably going to end up pinned back as a result. That would force either Laudrup or Stoichov wider than they would like.
I would have liked to see him wider. I'mm not exactly sure what is going on there tbh.

bleezy

Oops, this got put up a day later than agreed and I was out all day yesterday so have missed all of this. Will have a read through now and respond to any points in a minute, though looking at the score it probably won't matter now.

VivaJanuzaj

Oops, this got put up a day later than agreed and I was out all day yesterday so have missed all of this. Will have a read through now and respond to any points in a minute, though looking at the score it probably won't matter now.
Yeah I remembered it should've started on Wednesday as well and couldn't understand where is it.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's a shame but, in fairness, the outcome would have been the same. Something went really wrong at some point for Team bleezy.