All time great team around Koeman

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Build one where he can be as little a liability as possible against any setup. Yet to see one built which had all round consensus.

Edgar paid me to create this thread

Himannv

Stick him between Kohler and Burgnich/Vogts with Desailly or someone as DM. Also have Keane and an attacking B2B (who also helps defensively obviously). Does seem like a lot of protection - is it worth it?

GodShaveTheQueen

Stick him between Kohler and Burgnich/Vogts with Desailly or someone as DM. Also have Keane and an attacking B2B (who also helps defensively obviously). Does seem like a lot of protection - is it worth it?
Well you have to think of maximizing the attacking side of his game as well. So should be surrounded by flair too which the personnel you mention doesnt offer.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Would go for a possession-based team. It makes constant use of his playmaking abilities and gives the backline protection by simply not giving the oppo the ball.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
...............................Neuer...............................
Djalma.......Koeman.....Kohler........Brehme
..............................Voronin............................
....................Falcao..........Bastian....................
Finney...............................................Best.........
...............................MVB..................................

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Perhaps sacrificing one of Cruyff/Gullit for a line-hugging right winger would've been a smarter choice, but I think that they'll manage. Gullit & Koeman had a fantastic understanding as well.

You have to go with Rijkaard as his partner — I think that the 1988 Euros was his best overall defensive performance and they've worked so well together. Although in terms of the formation, I went with Barcelona's diamond, which was a team that was properly built around him. Adding some steel on either side should properly cement the foundation.

Stoichkov's Gento's and Gullit's pace would work wonders, he had a good understanding with van Basten up front and Davids & Neeskens would obviously run tirelessly for the entire 90/120 minutes and help out in wider areas as well as centrally.

Koeman is the main playmaker from the deep here, this is a proactive possession-based side (more in Michels/Cruyff's style rather than Pep's tiki-taka), and he is well-covered here with Maldini, Thuram and Rijkaard (+ Davids/Neeskens if necessary) to go on his attacking forays when he feels like it.[/S]

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

Either him or Maldini, depends on whenever you want a bit more elegance on the ball or a bit more of the defensive oomph.
Cruyff wouldn't compromise on elegance if he was building it, so Krol gets the nod for me.

Rijkaard ahead of Voronin? Those two definitely stand out as the DM option

Editr: Oh, I see you already posted your team and Rijkaard starts

GodShaveTheQueen

Gento's and Gullit's pace would work wonders,
Considering it looks like Van Gaal's setup, I would definitely prefer an inverted winger there or at least a wing forward instead of Gento and to cope against all time great wings, someone with good work rate.

Still pondering on who would work best.

I think your setup is a very good shout

GodShaveTheQueen

I would actually not mind Cruyff on the left with Charlton as the No.10

harms

Staff
Rijkaard ahead of Voronin? Those two definitely stand out as the DM option
Rijkaard gets a nod since, well, he was still a better player plus he has a proven partnership with Koeman.

Cruyff wouldn't compromise on elegance if he was building it, so Krol gets the nod for me.
Yeah, that's fair enough, especially with the overwhelmingly Dutch personnel.

Considering it looks like Van Gaal's setup, I would definitely prefer an inverted winger there or at least a wing forward instead of Gento and to cope against all time great wings, someone with good work rate.

Still pondering on who would work best.

I think your setup is a very good shout
Stoichkov is an option, and probably a better one than Gento on a second thought, given his chemistry with Koeman & additional workrate/goalthreat.

GodShaveTheQueen

Am I the only one who doesn’t rate Koeman that high?
Take this as a joke, but does Koeman ever work in a 4-2-3-1? Probably would always be a liability unless with 3 pure defensive players alongside

Would be interesting to see him fit in a good 4231.

Enigma_87

You know who
Take this as a joke, but does Koeman ever work in a 4-2-3-1? Probably would always be a liability unless with 3 pure defensive players alongside

To me yea.

best to fit him is 5 man defence as a spare man.

although a defensive line of:

Krol — Kohler — Koeman — Bergomi

with Rijkaard / Voronin / Desailly in front is as good as it gets, which essentially means again 3 / 4 pure defensive greats.

Technically Bergomi can give you compactness and “hide” his shortcomings.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

How about this?

...................Rijkaard.....Voronin..................
Finney....................Gullit..................Best.........

Rijkaard as B2B

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
---------------------- Romario ----

--------Nedved------Zico----------Garrincha

----------Guardiola -- Schweinsteiger

Cabrini --- Kohler -- Koeman -- Gentile

At least one fast player on attack, with 2 CMs comfortable on the ball to be in-sync with Koeman's passing. Also, ideally one player in attack who can hold up the ball well when receiving his long ball.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
@Isotope Was Slippy G in that starting XI and get sent off after 10 seconds?
Hahahahahahaa.... yes, that team can afford a passenger.

This reminded me of that long pass from Evans to Iheanacho; one-touch, and goal. So maybe Iheanacho there then.

GodShaveTheQueen

How about this?

...................Rijkaard.....Voronin..................
Finney....................Gullit..................Best.........

Rijkaard as B2B
Yea, this I like better than your earlier team.

I'd replace Finney though. He was never someone to stay wide up top waiting for long diagonals. Liked to carry the ball from deep, even from his own half.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

I'd replace Finney though. He was never someone to stay wide up top waiting for long diagonals. Liked to carry the ball from deep, even from his own half.
TBF that was largely due to Preston being rubbish but I take your point. Enter Stanley Matthews.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

TBF that was largely due to Preston being rubbish but I take your point. Enter Stanley Matthews.
Not sure if Matthews is ideal either. I feel grubby saying this, but Salah fits the bill as a direct RWF with ample pace and great off the ball movement. Stoichkov too, depending on one's stance on him playing on the right. Yes, I'm thinking of you here @Enigma_87 :D

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Goram
Bruce Koeman Shaw
Fenomeno Molby Anderson Hazard
Puskas
Nordahl Higuain

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Not sure if Matthews is ideal either. I feel grubby saying this, but Salah fits the bill as a direct RWF with ample pace and great off the ball movement. Stoichkov too, depending on one's stance on him playing on the right. Yes, I'm thinking of you here @Enigma_87 :D
I wouldn't want a wide forward on the right with Djalma at RB. I mean you could shift Best to the right with Stoichkov left, that could work. I did think though a more orthodox winger (Best was a roaming forward more than anything else) would give a consistent outball outwide plus allow Djalma to provide a lot of defensive cover for Koeman

Himannv

To me yea.

best to fit him is 5 man defence as a spare man.
He'd be quite good in a more modern setup where playing out from the back is important. Basically a back 3 where all 3 are comfortable on the ball. He wouldn't necessarily be the main man but he'd fit in well enough with two others (who would have to be better defenders)..

Enigma_87

You know who
What shortcomings?
Easy to bully, very slow and lacks agility. Prone to occasional lapse of positioning. To me he is just not that good defensively.

Apart from that he would suit modern football very well as @Himannv mentioned. Great on the ball, excellent in providing deep passes and starting attacks from the back and on top of that decisive figure in the attack - popping up with many goals whilst having a whipping shot.

I missed your game, but to me you managed to include him very well in your set up and liked his role there.

Enigma_87

You know who
yeah hate him on the right, especially in this set up :D

On the left he has a whipping cross and can stretch the defence as a winger/wide forward combo, which makes him harder to mark and can be both contributor and goal scorer. His right peg wasn't as good and he relied a lot on his left. A bit like Figo on the left - yea he can play there but to me you will be under utilizing him.

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but Blokhin would be a terrific fit as well.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

Koeman is a very slow player maybe one of the slowest elite defeders of all time,so,I pick a tireless motor that never stop running all the game and can shut down some of the best wingers and main protagonist of the team to help him in defensive phase and he will focus more on joining attacks,shooting long-shots and making some long passes,so,I pick Berti Vogts.

Left side center backs,you need a fast stopper,ruthless,aggresiveness and great in aerial-duels to face all types of strikers(fast strikers like Ronaldo,Riva and Eto and Target strikers like Drogba,Ibrahimovic,Giroud etc.) and I pick Jaap Stam.

Rijkaard and Krol,I don't need to explain anymore.

Roy Keane will be defensive b2b in this game
,he has the ability to cover Koeman when Koeman joins the attacks.Keane and Vogts will be Koeman's bodyguards and in this platform Koeman can shine brightest.Keane,Neeskens and Davids will perform some of the greatest midfield trio ever.All of them are complete midfielders stamina,leadership,workrates,ball-playing skills,offense and defense,they have it all.

Stoichkov and Gullit pace would suitable for Cryuff.Three of them are excellent hard workers.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So you need a team full of GOATs to accommodate/get the best out of Koeman?

harms

Staff
So you need a team full of GOATs to accommodate/get the best out of Koeman?
Not really, but usually it’s the best team that’s can achieve the purpose in those threads. PSV wasn’t filled with GOATs and he was simply immense for them.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not really, but usually it’s the best team that’s can achieve the purpose in those threads. PSV wasn’t filled with GOATs and he was simply immense for them.
Yes. It would be nice to see him in with fairly good players instead of GOATs. With the latter, no need Koeman in there, it would still be a cracking team.

harms

Staff
Rensenbrink - Luc Nilis - Gullit
Netto - Pirri - Bonhof
Krol - McGrath - Koeman - Vogts
van der Sar

Still a bunch of stars, of course, but at least there’re no Ronaldos. And probably only Gullit is undoubtedly a greater player.

Bwuk

De Gea
AWB - Koeman - Maguire - Shaw
Fred - McTominay​

Doesn’t matter the front 4.

harms

Staff
Koeman - Maguire :drool:
You can speed up the game x2 and it will still look like it’s in slow motion.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Rensenbrink - Luc Nilis - Gullit
Netto - Pirri - Bonhof
Krol - McGrath - Koeman - Vogts
van der Sar

Still a bunch of stars, of course, but at least there’re no Ronaldos. And probably only Gullit is undoubtedly a greater player.
So how do those players get the best of Koeman? Those formation looks like lack of creativity though. Maybe as long as one DM can cover CB, like Stielike?

If memory serve right, Koeman is similar to Sammer. Please enlighten me, harms. And people don't like Sammer in back 4. Or maybe he's similar to Hulshoff?