All Time Premier League Fantasy Draft: R1 - Cal? vs Stobzilla

With players at peaks in the teams indicated, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
vs

................................. Team Cal?.................................................................................................Team Stobzilla..........................................

TEAM CAL?

Tactics:

My 4-3-1-2 mainly relies on 2 things, letting Hazard have a free role starting on the left and to wander across to the right and Henry's ability to drift wide and create for Torres as well as making things happen for himself. Torres in his Liverpool days was a supreme finisher with amazing pace.

Behind them, Park's ability to cover a lot of ground is vital to allowing Hazard the room he needs for his "free role", with Park helping out in midfield as well as provide some width alongside the overlapping Sagna. Schneiderlin has been one of the best DMs in the league for years, earning himself a big move to United, and Herrara was arguably our outfield player of the season.

All my defenders have had long and distinguished careers in the Premier League, whilst Carragher is not the most popular here, he had been the key defender for a Liverpool side who were fixtures in the top 4 until Slippy and him got old. G Cahill was already an England player for many years at Bolton before making to move to Chelsea, Staunton was an experienced defender who helped stopped United's domestic treble in 1994.

Courtois, one of the best 3 keepers in the world right now, and the main reason why Cech is now at Arsenal.

Way to victory:

I'm assuming Stobzilla will go with some kind of 4-3-3 with Butt, Gullit and Beardsley in midfield, but the fact of the matter is that Gullit was signed to play sweeper for Chelsea and Beardsley was very much a number 10 in his Barcode days. Even during their best PL days, my midfielders should dominate against his.

It goes without saying that my attackers are also better than his, Cristiano Ronaldo was the only one who ever reached a higher peak than Henry in the Premier League and no one else even comes close. Torres in his Liverpool days tormented great players like Vidic on a regular basis. On the other hand, Anelka was quite good in his various stints at various clubs, but nowhere near a top PL player.

Park will give Pires very little room to create anything and all my attackers have amazing pace that I don't see his defenders coping with.

Last edited:

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
TEAM STOBZILLA

Formation: 4-2-3-1

Team Style of Play
  • Fluid front 4 with interchanges and lots of movement
  • Deep, compact defensive line
  • Energy and organisation in defence
  • Pace, guile, fluidity, and movement on the attack
  • Can counter with speed and incision with Anelka, Rooney, and Pires and guile + creativity of Beardsley.
  • Goalscorers in Riise, Babbel, Gullit, Rooney, Beardsley, Pires, and Anelka
Goalkeeper: Jens Lehmann
  • Part of undefeated Arsenal team of 2003/04
  • Dominant in the box and the air
  • Excellent shot-stopper with great reflexes and positioning
  • Large frame makes him an imposing figure in the box
  • Leader and organiser from the back; will keep the defence alert and in their toes
Defence
  • Leaders at the back in Radebe and Carvalho
  • Great readers of the game in defence to ensure that defence remains organised, in shape, and compact
  • Radebe can track Torres/Henry and shut them down with his pace, marking, and tackling
  • Carvalho can cover for Radebe and suss out the danger from Hazard, Park, etc. making runs through
  • Carvalho-Radebe partnership like Carvalho-Terry
  • Babbel and Riise will provide an attacking threat through their runs forward
  • Set-piece threats in Babbel, Carvalho, and Radebe
  • Babbel, Radebe, and Carvalho are all very strong in the air
  • Babbel provides a stability down the right hand side, allows Beardsley to float around.
Midfield
  • Gullit is the main playmaker and leader from midfield
  • Gullit: reading of the game, leadership, playmaking, skill, strength, technique, complete player
  • Gullit will cover spaces and read the game whilst Butt hassles the opposition, closes them down, and tries to win the ball
  • Butt: tough tackler, willing runner, covers lots of ground, support on both ends of the pitch
  • Occasional late runs from Butt into the box when opponents least expect it
Front 4
  • Fluidity, flair, creativity, technique, power, pace, and incisiveness
  • Can score from anywhere
  • Interchanging of roles between the front 4
  • Pace, power, and directness from Anelka and Rooney; creativity and flair from Pires and Beardsley
  • Anelka will lead the line and stretch defences with his lateral movement
  • Rooney, Pires, and Beardsley will look to get into the spaces and do the damage
  • Rooney will drop into the hole and run at defences, take shots, and/or play the wingers/Anelka into dangerous spaces
  • Aerial threat from Anelka and Rooney with Pires and Beardsley able to supply crosses from out wide
Dealing with Cal
  • Torres can be closed down by Radebe's great man-marking and tackling ability. He will have a tough time getting into space and doing damage to us
  • Carvalho's great reading of the game can stop Henry and Hazard's runs through out lines as well as keeping our defence organised
  • Babbel can come in and be a third central defender to close down the space in between him and Carvalho for Henry and Hazard to exploit
  • Butt can cover lots of ground and quickly close down Hazard whenever he comes inside or close down Herrera/Robson whenever they push up.
  • Rooney can quickly down the first midfielder to receive the ball and lead the pressure from the front with Beardsley
  • Gullit will prevent Park from disorganising our defence with his movement, and he can handle the pressure Park can put on him with his strength, balance, and technique.
  • Rooney has provided lots of assists, so Cal also has to deal with Rooney who can put through Pires, Beardsley, or Anelka to the goal.

diarm

As good as Cal's attack is, his midfield in an all time PL context is terrible.

Ander Herrera as much as I love him has no place in this draft at present.
I agree with this but oddly, I can picture that midfield 3 working really well together. For the context of the draft, I think Stobzilla has built the better side, but if the two teams were to play, I think Cal's would win. I'm torn on this one.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
As good as Cal's attack is, his midfield in an all time PL context is terrible.

Ander Herrera as much as I love him has no place in this draft at present.
even his attack is terrible, there is no way that a partnership of Henry and Torres would work.....

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I agree with this but oddly, I can picture that midfield 3 working really well together. For the context of the draft, I think Stobzilla has built the better side, but if the two teams were to play, I think Cal's would win. I'm torn on this one.
I don't really disagree with that actually. I'm still not sure who would win but looking at that midfield you'd think the premiership was only going about 5 years

Marty1968

Anelka here is not the Arsenal version because of quota (Lehmann and Pires)

Something to bear in mind
Which club is Anelka playing for here then?? Wasn't particularly great at Chelsea, Man City or Bolton...or shall we base his ability on West Brom?? Haha!

diarm

I'm fairly surprised you'd start Bolton Anelka over Robbie Keane

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
It's very close, but I've gone for Stobzilla's side as I think it is better balanced.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This is a good one, IMO. Very interesting match. There are weaknesses which can be attacked on both sides.

I have to say there's something about both sides which immediately appeal to me in terms of how they're set up. Should be some decent debating here.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
As tasty as Cal's attacking trio might look, I don't see them as a complimentary at all.

Henry worked best with a striker who dropped deep to let him attack the line from the left when counter attacking, not when he was the one dropping deep to supply someone like Torres. Then I don't think both Hazard and Henry can play their best game here. Both will want to drive the attack from the left when only one can. Pires played a more complimentary role to Henry at Arsenal, Hazard is not the best player for such a role.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
but the fact of the matter is that Gullit was signed to play sweeper for Chelsea
He was then moved into midfield fairly quickly when this experiment failed and finished 2nd in POTY voting behind Eric Cantona.

diarm

Too lead the line as a main striker ? I would understand if you were talking about playing behind Rooney for sure.
Keane led the line often and well during his career.
I trying to remember Anelka at Bolton, didn't he usually played off Kevin Davies or Henrik Pederson up top?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Keane led the line often and well during his career.
I trying to remember Anelka at Bolton, didn't he usually played off Kevin Davies or Henrik Pederson up top?
I'm not suggesting he didn't, but Bolton's Anelka should be remembered and would be perfect in this set-up, we weren't looking at him for nothing in the 06/07 season before he went to Chelsea.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Rooney at AM!? We all know how that one works (or doesn't)...

Butt will be terribly busy with him being the only one shielding a rather slow defense against some very very fast attackers.

diarm

I'm not suggesting he didn't, but Bolton's Anelka should be remembered and would be perfect in this set-up, we weren't looking at him for nothing in the 06/07 season before he went to Chelsea.
Yeah fair enough. I'm looking back at Keanes better seasons now and you're right, he played more in a 2 up top.
I think I was being swayed by his role with Ireland.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Butt will be terribly busy with him being the only one shielding a rather slow defense against some very very fast attackers.
AM or SS, whichever suits your argument more I guess. Point is, he is playing where he has played his best football, given the freedom to drop off of the front and come looking for possession.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

I suppose you could call it AM - but to me what he's playing here is his usual (for a long time) second striker/hybrid role. Many people didn't like that role - and there were problems with it. But he was frequently brilliant in it too.

Gullit: Not that slow, really - even at 33 or whatever he was when came to Chelsea. He obviously had lost some explosiveness and speed, but he certainly wasn't a slouch.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I suppose you could call it AM - but to me what he's playing here is his usual (for a long time) second striker/hybrid role. Many people didn't like that role - and there were problems with it. But he was frequently brilliant in it too.

Gullit: Not that slow, really - even at 33 or whatever he was when came to Chelsea. He obviously had lost some explosiveness and speed, but he certainly wasn't a slouch.
Precisely. It should be noted that Radebe was no plodder, here to supplement a quota to defer to bigger teams, Radebe turned down moves to us, AC Milan and Roma during his time at Leeds.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Radebe was excellent, no question marks over him as far as I'm concerned. One of the top choices from the "lesser" sides.

Stobz wins the somewhat silly CB "battle" easily here. His fullbacks are more dubious, IMO. And that ain't just bias. Well, anti-Pool bias, anyway. Always thought Riise was incredibly shaky defensively.

Anelka: Would work here, I think. Has to be said that he isn't the most immediately impressive goal threat considered as a lone striker. But then:

* His g/g ratio for Bolton isn't poor. Just not...impressive.

* He isn't really a lone striker, as Rooney is roaming about behind him in that role of his - and he's a goal threat, say what ye will.

* Beardo is a goal threat even from midfield.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think Sagna-Park-Torres will be the difference. Park doing the dirk Kuyt role and would work well with Torres. With Sagna, it might be the productive wing.

Not quite sure on Anelka leading the line, he worked well with Drogba holding the line, iirc. Not sure he works well with Rooney.

Cal? slightly fares better imo.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I think Sagna-Park-Torres will be the difference. Park doing the dirk Kuyt role and would work well with Torres. With Sagna, it might be the productive wing.

Not quite sure on Anelka leading the line, he worked well with Drogba holding the line, iirc. Not sure he works well with Rooney.

Cal? slightly fares better imo.
It is a fair enough opinion, but I would take Pires and Riise being covered by Radebe over Park and Sagna being backed by Cahill

Moby

Dick
Maybe swap Park and Hazard? It's all way too left sided at the moment. Perhaps something like :

Torres
Henry------------Hazard
Park----Herrera
Morgan​

Moby

Dick
Gone for Stob anyway, no real weakness in the team, Riise being the only one dubious defensively but Cal doesn't pose much threat from the right. Stob will dominate the midfield and has good firepower up front.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Anelka: Would work here, I think. Has to be said that he isn't the most immediately impressive goal threat considered as a lone striker.
He's not our primary or even only goal threat as most seem to use their strikers. As said in the OP, there are more than a few consistent goalscorers in the team that Cal has to worry about. Anelka's style of play at Bolton involved him drifting laterally to a flank in order to receive the ball and support the attack. He'd also make quite a few diagonal runs from a bit wider to get into goal. In our setup, he's being used to occupy and stretch the defence to open up spaces for the rest of the team to get into for goals.

For someone who isn't our main goal threat, he still did quite well at Bolton with a team that wasn't that creative or incisive going forward.

VivaJanuzaj

I think that Cal went for the wrong idea here, after getting a sublime front three like Hazard-Henry-Torres(forget cohesion for a second), the fact that you can't play both Hazard&Henry in their best positions was supposed to force him to go for a counter attacking team based on that three. He got it quite okay as well, defense pretty solid, even Schniederlin as a DM made sense, Park can fit as well, but Herrera had to be a Box2box type, which would allow the team to sit deep and just pop the ball forward for that trio. If it were a counter attacking team, I'd have no problems with the fact that Henry and Hazard allegedly occupy the same position, because on the counter they will just roam their asses off wherever there's room to exploit, but on anything other than that, it just can't really work.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The fact that Park will be playing more of a central midfield role means that Riise will only have to worry about Sagna coming forward from Cal's right side. Riise isn't that bad of a 1-on-1 defender, and only having to deal with Sagna means that Riise is the one better off as he doesn't really have to deal with a winger. Sagna's not a dribbler nor does he drift around on the right; he just holds the width and delivers crosses from there.

With Park in midfield with his movement and energy, Gullit can keep up with him and make sure that he doesn't ghost into spaces like he normally does. Gullit wasn't some slouch either; he was still a total footballer, and his high amount of intelligence compensated for some of his physical decline.

Radebe has dealt with strikers like Torres several times, and he's won many of those battles as well. Radebe's pace and man-marking ability will mean that Torres should remain quieter than normal. If Vidic had more pace, wouldn't he have dealt with Torres easier? Well, Radebe already possesses enough pace to not be flustered by Torres. Plus, his marking and 1-on-1 defending is quite immaculate.