All Time Premier League Fantasy Draft: R1 - The Stain vs coolredwine

With players at peaks in the teams indicated, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
vs

................................. Team The Stain.......................................................................................Team coolredwine..........................................

TEAM THE STAIN

Lining up in 4-1-4-1 formation. Similarly to Brad Friedel, Tim Howard always raised his games in the big matches, particularly against Utd. He will go tourettes all over Viduka a co. At right back i have probably Spurs best rb ever in Stephen Carr. He was as good defensively as offensively but will be asked to keep a more defensive stance to let Fredrik Ljungberg make runs behind the opposition. On the other side is Leighton Baines who will have permission to play his natural game and try to join in attack. With Ashley Young above him to cover defensively. We'll mainly cross the ball from the left side and these two will do that job with precision to feed Drogba/Lampard.

In central defense i have Fulham captain for many years; Brede Hangeland. MoTM in his first game for Fulham showing what was in store. He will make sure any aerial threats are cleared. Next to him is Jonathan Woodgate who will play a more covering role than Hangeland. He had the pace to keep up with the fastest in the game. I've chosen him from his Leeds days, particularly 2008/09 when he partnered Radebe to help Leeds to 3rd position in the league.

Playing in front of the central defense is the controversial pick Fernandinho. The man who let Yaya Toure shine in their title winning run will make sure the dangerous area in front of defense is kept safe. Paul Scholes, the legend, will run this game. He will set the tempo and ping the ball from side to side, providing lethal through balls. Both him and his partner Lampard had great long shots which will come in handy if we face a parked buss. Lampard is the midfielder in PL history with the most goals to his name, 50+ more than Gerrard. He'll make his runs from deep in to the penalty area. Ljungberg is a great weapon on the right side. The Arsenal legend had great pace and would often score goals from the right (or left, he played on both wings) side. Very difficult to take the ball from which would more often than not lead to dangerous chances or a free-kick.

He's facing a strong central defensive pairing, but if there's one striker in this draft who could dismantle any defense; it's Didier Drogba. He had all you want in a striker: Pace, strength, hold-up play, finishing. He will outmuscle any defender in the draft. He had a great understanding with his team mates, particularly Lampard. You often saw the ball rolled back to Lampard and the diagonal run of Drogba followed to open up defenses.

Team of the season nominations:

Carr 2, Baines 2, Scholes 2, Lampard 2, Young 2, Drogba 2 (top scorer twice).

Player of the year:

Lampard 1, Ljungberg 1.

Last edited:

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
TEAM COOLREDWINE

Formation
:

My team will play the 4-4-2 Diamond. Leading the attack would be Mark Viduka and Eric Cantona, being supported by Jay-Jay Okocha. The midfield consists of workhorses Gary Speed, Dennis Wise and Dietmar Hamann. The defence would be marshalled by Dennis Irwin, Sami Hyypia, Tony Adams and Lee Dixon with Nigel Martyn in the goal.

Defence:

The defence is a solid combination of proven players who have contributed to their teams for a good period of time in the Premier League. Dennis Irwin starts as a Left Back with Lee Dixon on the right with Sami Hyypia joining Tony Adams in the middle. Everything said and done, this defence has the quality of being one of the best defences in the context of the draft. Barring Hyypia, all three of Irwin, Adams and Dixon have been a part of multiple title winning squads, contributing massively to their respective teams’ cause during the League, and helping them win the Premier League on multiple occasions. There is Dennis Irwin, one of the Modern Manchester United greats, who has won 7 Premier League titles and was the part of the Overall Team of the Decade for the Premier League 10 seasons awards. Then there are Tony Adams and Lee Dixon, who won the Premier League 2 times with Arsenal. All of them are disciplined defenders who would lend stability to the team. Both Dixon and Adams also bring the aura of the Famous back 4 from Arsenal, thus adding to the defensive steel of the team.

Both of the fullbacks are seasonal defenders, capable of holding their own while defending against the opposition wingers. During their time in the League, both Irwin and Dixon have been able to stop quite a good number and variety of wingers and have come out on top on most number of occasions. Contrary to popular beliefs, both Irwin and Dixon can also work in a 4-4-2 Diamond. Both of them have similar qualities of a full back, joining and supporting attacks of their respective teams on multiple occasions. Dennis Irwin, being the metronome that he was with Manchester United, never ever had a bad game while Lee Dixon was a marauding RB used by Arsenal to his full effect. Dixon constantly supported his right winger, thus combining with him to launch attacks for Arsenal from the right side of the midfield. Both of them will be going up and down continuously during the game to support the team’s attack and adding an extra man during the attack, alternatively.

Adding to the defence is Dietmar Hamann, playing as a defensive midfielder. While defending, he would drop back between the two defenders, thus forming the perfect shield to keep the attacking opposition players at bay. While Adams would be focussing on Drogba, Hamann would track back the opposition attacking midfielder (be it Lampard or Scholes), covering their late runs in the box and matching them muscle to muscle.

While defending, the defence will drop back forming a 5 man wall with Hamann in the middle Hyypia and Adams on his either side, while Irwin and Dixon will pick up the wingers. As mentioned, Adams will pick up Drogba, Hamann will track back the advanced opposition midfielder while the any other player will be picked up by Hyypia. On the other hand, should the opposition decide to bomb the flanks, Hamann would move out to either flank under pressure and lend support to the corresponding fullback, thus negating the opposition wingers’ influence on the game.

Attack:

Leading the line is Mark Viduka, a proper centre forward who led Leeds United’s attack during their heydays. A striker who scored almost at the rate of 0.5 while at Leeds, makes the perfect foil with Eric Cantona. Not only can Viduka score goals, getting into good positions, he can also use his physical prowess to make space for other players (Cantona, Okocha, Wise) to break through the middle. A striker who was pretty quick and whose heading abilities know no bounds, he can easily be a thorn for the opposition’s side. He can very well use his pace while turning to beat the defender and create space for himself. Cantona needs no introduction to anyone. Much regarded as the player who brought a winning mentality to the Manchester United side, he provides the spark up front. Starting the winning trend and leading his club to 4 PL titles, he is the perfect choice to lead my team as well. He starts just behind Viduka, and would be dictating most of the team’s play. Behind Cantona would be Jay-Jay Okocha. Given his role as an Attacking Midfielder, he will have a free license to roam all over the attacking third. He will pop up on either side of the Cantona-Viduka axis to provide support and wreak havoc in the opposition defence with his trickery and pull defenders out of their positions. This will benefit Dennis Wise in turn, who will make late runs in the box, latching on to second balls and lay offs provided by the strikers and propping the opposition with long shots from the edge of the box. With Okocha showing up on either side while attacking, this will also help the corresponding fullback in that position while attacking. Wise will also make use of his short passing prowess and play them with Okocha and Cantona to keep the play ticking over and move the ball around the centre circle. Wise would also collect the ball from defence via Hamann and start the attacks in conjunction with Gary Speed. While Wise will carry the ball further up the pitch, Speed will distribute the play alternatively by playing a long ball directly upto Viduka who can comfortably shield and control he ball around the opposition defence and then lay it off for oncoming Cantona or Wise.

The important aspect to this formation is that Cantona will not be alone to do things himself. The team has enough goals in them to beat the opposition. Both Speed and Wise average almost 5 goals a season so both of them are good enough to chip in if the strikers aren’t at their A-game during the match so the team doesn’t have to rely on Cantona absolutely.

The team is also high on leadership and influence. Cantona, Irwin, Adams, Hyypia, Hamann, Wise, Speed were all very influential players for their respective clubs, captaining their teams for several periods during the League and winning it as well. The experience that all of them bring to the team is matched by no other team in the draft. Given the workhorse like team, they still have the grit and determination to eke out wins without giving much joy to the opposition and will get the job done. Keeping this in view, I expect a 1-0 win over the opposition with my defence standing strong in front of the opposition attack and the midfield giving no inch or space to the opposition midfielders.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Stain's defence is average, imo. Don't particularly like neither of the teams but at first glance crw looks more balanced.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Too much space between Stain's forward and midfield line. And I was told I am building a Mourinho like team. :wenger:
You can't envision Lampard/Scholes in the hole in front of your defense? C'mon now. We move as a unit god damn it! :drool:

Moby

Dick
Too much space between Stain's forward and midfield line. And I was told I am building a Mourinho like team. :wenger:
He could have placed Young and Ljunberg a bit ahead to make it more aesthetically pleasing, but the idea is fairly straight forward, a classic 4-5-1 in which both Lampard and Drogba would excel. It's another question whether his backline can withstand your attack.

diarm

Yeah that back 4, with Hamman in front of them and Speed/Wise in midfield is going to be very difficult to break down. It's so narrow though and as brilliant as they both were, Iriwn and Dixon aren't going to give him the width he's lacking.

I can't understand the Fernandinho selection ahead of an attacking mid or second striker. Irwin and Dixon are better than Ljungberg and Young and I really think Stains side will struggle to attack that defensive set up.

I reckon coolredwine wins a low scoring affair.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I think most will vote CRW as his players enjoyed peaks at bigger clubs, but Woodgate at times was equally immense, for the fact I view it very closely, and I think most will go CRW, I have gone @TheStain

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
As well as the full back issue with CRW I'm concerned that Cantona and Viduka aren't mobile enough to work well in a diamond. We saw what happened when we recently played a diamond or a 3-4-1-2. Someone like Aguero in place on Cantona would make that front three much more fluid. Still the Stain's widemen are meh and his back line isn't the best. Tending towards crw but still on the fence.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I can't understand the Fernandinho selection ahead of an attacking mid or second striker
TBF Fernandinho was really quite good in his first season. He was seen as Toure's liberator. That said he's a bit underwhelming here. That said with Lampard and Scholes a DM is definitely necessary. A proper wide forward is what he really needs in place of Young or Ljungberg.

The Stain

As well as the full back issue with CRW I'm concerned that Cantona and Viduka aren't mobile enough to work well in a diamond. We saw what happened when we recently played a diamond or a 3-4-1-2. Someone like Aguero in place on Cantona would make that front three much more fluid. Still the Stain's widemen are meh and his back line isn't the best. Tending towards crw but still on the fence.
Ljungberg isn't "meh". One of the best swedish wingers ever, up there behind Hamrin.

There's a goal in there where he steals the ball from Stam and scores amongst some other nice goals. He had a knack for scoring in the box. Always running in behind defenses.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I don't particularly like either team. @coolredwine is very robust defensively but I'm not really buying that diamond or the ability to break down defences upfront with such a narrow approach.

That said, @The Stain has completely cocked up his midfield, which was primed to be his strength. Scholes AND Lamps wasn't a great idea to begin with, Fernandinho a terrible one, and the men on the flank are quite meh. Drogba looks too isolated out in no man's land.

I'm purely voting on account of The Stain not scoring in a month of Sundays, while crw could sneak in one. Boring as feck game though, would not watch and most eliminated teams so far are unlucky not to have faced these. Whoever wins has a mountain to climb to get past the quarters.

Moby

Dick
TBH with the lack of width from CRW, Baines will have a lot of freedom to overlap and he is a very formidable pick from that point of view, he bagged loads of assist crossing from that flank and he has possibly the best target man in the draft to aim at - it is certainly something that would open up the game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This has got 0-0 written all over it. The only weakness in CRW's impressive back-line is a touch of pace, but the central pair would enjoy a battle with Drogba. CRW's midfield is full of Premier League quality but is a central clusterfeck, so I can see the game descending into a typically gritty midfield battle with few chances on either side.

antohan

There's a goal in there where he steals the ball from Stam and scores amongst some other nice goals. He had a knack for scoring in the box. Always running in behind defenses.
I rate him most as a credible and somewhat stealthy source of goals when there's a good creative player causing havoc at the other end. You have our very own Ashley Young, a very predictable winger and one unlikely to create the conditions for Ljungberg to shine at the other end.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Ljungberg isn't "meh". One of the best swedish wingers ever, up there behind Hamrin.

Aye, Ljungberg was a very good player. Not the most creative or eye-catching winger but he was a threat with his movement and finishing.

antohan

This has got 0-0 written all over it. The only weakness in CRW's impressive back-line is a touch of pace, but the central pair would enjoy a battle with Drogba. CRW's midfield is full of Premier League quality but is a central clusterfeck, so I can see the game descending into a typically gritty midfield battle with few chances on either side.
Aye, if there were a draw option I'd grab that. We need scorelines introduced, seriously.

The Stain

I rate him most as a credible and somewhat stealthy source of goals when there's a good creative player causing havoc at the other end. You have our very own Ashley Young, a very predictable winger and one unlikely to create the conditions for Ljungberg to shine at the other end.
He has Baines behind him, though. Both of them will primarily supply crosses, high or low. Any rebound and you can be sure Freddie will be there ready to pounce.

Don't understand why you think i can't score in this match. Scholes with the throughball to Ljungberg/Drogba, Long shots from Scholes/Lampard, Lampard with a run in to the box, free-kicks. There will be plenty of room on the wings for my team to cause problems for coolio's team.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Honestly, I don't really think this will be a drab game. There are some real entertainers in both the teams. Scholes, Ljungberg, Okocha, Cantona. Not high on goals or high on quality...but boring? Not really.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I don't particularly like either team. @coolredwine is very robust defensively but I'm not really buying that diamond or the ability to break down defences upfront with such a narrow approach.

That said, @The Stain has completely cocked up his midfield, which was primed to be his strength. Scholes AND Lamps wasn't a great idea to begin with, Fernandinho a terrible one, and the men on the flank are quite meh. Drogba looks too isolated out in no man's land.

I'm purely voting on account of The Stain not scoring in a month of Sundays, while crw could sneak in one. Boring as feck game though, would not watch and most eliminated teams so far are unlucky not to have faced these. Whoever wins has a mountain to climb to get past the quarters.
I have intentionally gone for such a set up. There are only a handful of quality wingers and fullbacks in the context of this draft, so the best I could do is cover my bases and build on from there. In this game, I am not even looking to break down defenses. All I am looking for is to control the game, keep the attack at bay, score a goal and then control again. And with players such as Cantona, Viduka, Okocha, Wise, I am sure to get an opportunity where they can open up the defense once during the game.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Why'd you say so?

sajeev

The Stain's defence is poor, and what the hell is Ashley Young doing in the draft?

crw has got a great defence and a bit of magic in attack, if he upgrades on Viduka and Okocha he has quite a solid team

bleezy

CRW has a brilliant defence and a solid, functional midfield, but I can't help but think he's wasting Cantona a bit by playing a diamond. With a couple of pacy wingers around him, I think it'd suit him much more.

I don't mind The Stain's team, but the defence is painfully average. I don't think Fernandinho is the right man to make Scholes and Lampard work together, and that midfield will struggle up against Wise, Hamann and Speed. There's a big gap between attacking quality and defensive quality in Stain's side, and that's where CRW would win the game I think.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Why'd you say so?
In Hamann, Wise, Speed, Okocha and Cantona, you've got 5 central players. Neither of the (admittedly very strong) full-backs are going to be overlapping all day long like your modern-day winger-masquerading-as-a-defender. Neither of the strikers will pull wide to create space. In your favour, Wise and Speed are decent choices for the midfield role as they could both forage wide, run and can cross well. But there's a few factors working against the diamond here.

coolredwine

lameredboots
TBH with the lack of width from CRW, Baines will have a lot of freedom to overlap and he is a very formidable pick from that point of view, he bagged loads of assist crossing from that flank and he has possibly the best target man in the draft to aim at - it is certainly something that would open up the game.
Except that Baines (and Ljungberg) would be facing Dixon, who is no mug, and Adams and Hyypia can clear most of the crosses aimed at Drogba.

coolredwine

lameredboots
In Hamann, Wise, Speed, Okocha and Cantona, you've got 5 central players. Neither of the (admittedly very strong) full-backs are going to be overlapping all day long like your modern-day winger-masquerading-as-a-defender. Neither of the strikers will pull wide to create space. In your favour, Wise and Speed are decent choices for the midfield role as they could both forage wide, run and can cross well. But there's a few factors working against the diamond here.
Yeah, in the attacking sense, maybe they aren't as strong or established. However, positionally, defensively and tactically, I would argue that they aren't a clusterfeck together.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah, in the attacking sense, maybe they aren't as strong or established. However, positionally, defensively and tactically, I would argue that they aren't a clusterfeck together.
Certainly, that's why I see Lampard and Scholes, for all their attacking quality, shut out from this game.

The Stain

Dont think he was less hardworking at Villa but more importantly he was one of the best wingers in the league. United young is a waste of a player.
Ye i've changed. It'll be up any minute i guess.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Stain's midfield is top notch, but I like the makeup to RedWine's side, very physical. Tough one for me, I'll vote later.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

As Anto said he's good as a supporting act but not the main creative force in the final third which he is here. He's more suited to a 4-2-3-1 or 442 as a wide midfielder rather than as a wide forward

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
As Anto said he's good as a supporting act but not the main creative force in the final third which he is here. He's more suited to a 4-2-3-1 or 442 as a wide midfielder rather than as a wide forward
Is he played as wide forward here? Tactics says 4-1-4-1 which is close enough to the 4-4-2 Freddie did at Arsenal (though mostly to the left iirc). I don't see him as a misfit here. In 2001-02 he scored 17 goals in 39 games which is nice return for a winger in a 4-4-2. Don't get your point on his not being a creative force. He did score important goals for Arse.

I'm not sure which version of Scholes is played here. If he's playing the later version who'll dominate from the middle with Fernandinho beside him, it'll surely bring the best of Ljungberg too. It would be marginally better if Stain switched to 4-2-3-1 imo.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
stain back 6 is average as feck and i dont rate the wingers neither, i mean Ljungberg i rate but this is not a setup for him and Young is and always was bang average, saying that, Baines behind him make it look better. Dont see Scholes - Lampard as good combination, such a waste of best player in the draft....

then we get to the coolredwein, fantastic and i really mean fantastic defensively. Great back 6 with Speed and Wise in front of that but the problem is, i cant see how will he score.....Cantona and Viduka is such a strange pair, specially in the diamond and Okocha behind i dont really know what to expect from him.

In 10 games i can see 7 draws(1:1 highest scoring result), 2 wins from stain and a win from coolred....with Drogba - Lamps getting the service from Baines - Young i can see where the goals could come.