All-time same (first) name XI...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yet another ‘all-time XI’ thread. Anyway, today’s take is on a first name basis. I will allow international variations of the same name. For example, a Francis, Frances, Francesco and Francois are all permitted in the same XI, as are Mark and Marco etc.

Anyway, to get things moving, I present ‘Team David’:

David Seaman

Davide Santon
David Luiz
David Astori
David Alaba

David Batty
David Beckham
David Silva

David Ginola
David Trezeguet
David Villa

————————D.Seaman————————
—D. Santon——D.Luiz—D.Astori—D.Alaba—
—————————D.Batty———————————
————D.Beckham———D.Silva—————
—D.Ginola——D.Trezeguet——D.Villa—

Subs (not necessary but I’m just being extra):

David James
Davide Zappaccosta
David Weir
David Platt
David Bentley
David Bellion
David Connolly

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Ronald Waterreus

Ronald Koeman
Rolando
Naldo
Ronald Maul

Ronald De Boer
Rony Lopes
Ronald Schmidt

Ronaldinho

Ronaldo
C.Ronaldo

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Cheating with this one but still.

Van der Sar
Van der Weil -- Van Gobbel -- Van Dijk -- Van Bronckhorst
Van Bommel
Van de Beek -- Van der Vaart
Van Basten
Van Persie -- Van Nistelrooy​

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Maybe I'm biased but Luis should be there or thereabouts in the upper tier as long as there's a strict adherence to regulations. :)

Frank has tremendous potential with Franz Beckenbauer, Franco Baresi, Frank Rijkaard, Ferenc Puskás...as well as Frank Ribéry, Frank Lampard, Franco Causio — but you might have to bend the rules or scrape the bottom of the barrel in certain positions.

Paul also has potential with Paulo Roberto Falcão, Paul Breitner, Paolo Maldini, Paolo Montero, Paul McGrath, Paul Janes, Paul Pogba, Paul Gascoigne, Paul Scholes, Paolo Rossi, Paulo Futre — but there's probably an overload of midfield playmakers and not enough options in other positions!

José/Joe/Joseph/József/Josef should also be ridiculously strong with José Andrade, José Nasazzi, József Bozsik, José Santamaría, José Pirri, José Pepe, Josef Bican, Josef Masopust, José Moreno.

Pepe Bican Moreno
Masopust Pirri Bozsik
Camacho Santamaría Nasazzi Andrade
Chilavert​

Skills

Snitch
Lionel Ritchie --- Lionel Messi --- Lion King
--------------------------LIONS

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Cheating with this one but still.

Van der Sar
Van der Weil -- Van Gobbel -- Van Dijk -- Van Bronckhorst
Van Bommel
Van de Beek -- Van der Vaart
Van Basten
Van Persie -- Van Nistelrooy​
Van Hooijdonk
Van vossen ( sitter)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Maybe I'm biased but Luis should be there or thereabouts in the upper tier as long as there's a strict adherence to regulations. :)

Frank has tremendous potential with Franz Beckenbauer, Franco Baresi, Frank Rijkaard, Ferenc Puskás...as well as Frank Ribéry, Frank Lampard, Franco Causio — but you might have to bend the rules or scrape the bottom of the barrel in certain positions.

Paul also has potential with Paulo Roberto Falcão, Paul Breitner, Paolo Maldini, Paolo Montero, Paul McGrath, Paul Janes, Paul Pogba, Paul Gascoigne, Paul Scholes, Paolo Rossi, Paulo Futre — but there's probably an overload of midfield playmakers and not enough options in other positions!

José/Joe/Joseph/József/Josef should also be ridiculously strong with José Andrade, José Nasazzi, József Bozsik, José Santamaría, José Pirri, José Pepe, Josef Bican, Josef Masopust, José Moreno.

Pepe Bican Moreno
Masopust Pirri Bozsik
Chilavert​
I think my Davids would take your Luís’ tbh:). I could have also bent it to include Edgar Davids and Jonathan David too.

I think the Paul’s you mentioned are stronger than you give them credit for too. I think they would be better than your Luis’, although tbh, I’m not an expert on all of those players.

No Love

GK - Sergio Romero
RB - Sergi Roberto
CB - Sergio Ramos
CB - Sergei Ignashevich
LB - Sergi
CDM - Sergio Busquets
CM - Sergio
CM - Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
RW - Serge Gnabry
LW - Serginho
ST - Sergio Aguero

Couple that are a bit questionable but it was fun to try, might have another crack later.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I reckon Michael would have a decent team
Michael is another one where you have multiple All-Time great players for similar roles (Platini and Laudrup) but a distinct shortage in certain spots! (ノ°Д°)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Similar to Robert where you start out strong with Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Roberto Carlos, Roberto Baggio but run into potential redundancies like Rivelino.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Robert Enke

Robert Jarni
Roberto Sensini
Roberto Ayala
Roberto Carlos

Roberto Di Matteo
Robert Prosinecki
Robert Pires
Roberto Donadoni

Roberto Baggio
Roberto Firmino

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Swap cannavaro for Mcgrath can’t believe I forgot him
And the keeper looks a little dodgy too! Is ‘Pavel’ the Czech version of ‘Paul’? I was thinking more Paul Robinson in goal.

DVG7

And the keeper looks a little dodgy too! Is ‘Pavel’ the Czech version of ‘Paul’? I was thinking more Paul Robinson in goal.
updated the team. Would give @Invictus Luis team a game!

id have srnicek over Robinson but struggling to find any quality keeper

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ronald Waterreus

Ronald Koeman
Rolando
Naldo
Ronald Maul

Ronald De Boer
Rony Lopes
Ronald Schmidt

Ronaldinho

Ronaldo
C.Ronaldo
Not sure about Naldo or Rolando, don’t think they derive from Ronald - surely you have to put United’s very own Ronnie Johnsen:devil:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
In islamic culture all boys are given the name of their prophet as an addition to their regular first name. Depending on the country it is written in the passport or not.
I thought this might have been what he was on about but I wasn’t sure :lol:

Brightonian

Pepe Bican Moreno
Masopust Pirri Bozsik
Chilavert​
Guardiola too no?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Guardiola too no?
Unfortunately for Guardiola, those midfielders are genuine All-Time greats of the game!

Bozsik is arguably the finest midfielder from the '50s after Didi, and was pretty much the architect of the historically great Mighty Magyars with Hidegkuti.

Pirri is Madrid's version of Bryan Robson — and probably the greatest midfielder from Spain after Xavi, Suárez and Iniesta. (Link).

And Masopust was one the few central midfielders to win the Ballon D'Or and was adjudged the best player of the 1962 World Cup after Garrincha...
Pep should definitely be an option off the bench, though. :)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Unfortunately for Guardiola, those midfielders are genuine All-Time greats of the game!

Bozsik is arguably the finest midfielder from the '50s after Didi, and was pretty much the architect of the historically great Mighty Magyars with Hidegkuti.

Pirri is Madrid's version of Bryan Robson — and probably the greatest Spanish midfielder after Xavi, Suárez and Iniesta. (Link).

And Masopust was one the few central midfielders to win the Ballon D'Or and was adjudged the best player of the 1962 World Cup after Garrincha...

Pep should definitely be an option off the bench, though. :)
I must say, I thought I knew my football, but yourself and @Gio have been a pleasure to read and a fountain of knowledge. I bow to your expertise!

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Not sure about Naldo or Rolando, don’t think they derive from Ronald - surely you have to put United’s very own Ronnie Johnsen:devil:
Naldos name is Ronaldo

Rolando was more of a joke

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m sure there’s a good ‘Phillip’ side to be made with Phillip, Phil, Felipé, Filip, Phillipe all being considered. As always with these teams, finding a keeper is often the hard bit.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I’m sure there’s a good ‘Phillip’ side to be made with Phillip, Phil, Felipé, Filip, Phillipe all being considered. As always with these teams, finding a keeper is often the hard bit.
X

philipp lahm
philippe mexes
phil jagielka
filipe luis

philip cocu
felipe anderson
philippe coutinho

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
X

philipp lahm
philippe mexes
phil jagielka
filipe luis

philip cocu
felipe anderson
philippe coutinho

I’d move Anderson into the front 3, put Phillip Billing in the middle and have Felipe Anderson, Filippo Inzaghi and Filip Kostic in attack.

Phil Jones in goal of course.

MileStolar

Č
Michael is another one where you have multiple All-Time great players for similar roles (Platini and Laudrup) but a distinct shortage in certain spots! (ノ°Д°)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Similar to Robert where you start out strong with Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Roberto Carlos, Roberto Baggio but run into potential redundancies like Rivelino.
Don't forget Robert Prosinečki, he won ECC with Crvena Zvezda back in 91. Was a great player our Robert

Edit: didn't see Rozay's post, he included Prosinečki

Dante

Average bang
5-2-3 of Johns:

John Barnes--------John Charles------Jean Pierre-Papin

Jean Tigana------John Obi-Mikel

John Arne Riise------------------------------------------------------------------Jonny

John Terry------Johan Cruyff------Jonny Evans

John Lukic​

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Christian Abbiati

Christian Panucci
Christian Fuchs
Christian Dailly
Christian Zeige

Christian Eriksen
Christian Karembeu
Christian Poulsen

Christian Pulisic
Christian Vieri
Christian Benteke

That’s actually a proper team. I could even get away with it by sticking exclusively to ‘Christian’. The team goes up a few levels when I include ‘Cristiano’, of course, which I’m well entitled to do.