Alternatives to ‘Galacticos’?

Jericholyte2

I think we seriously need to rethink our transfer strategy. The likelihood is that, the combined chances of us missing out on top four and the pure amount of areas we need to reinforce (RB, 2 CMs, a wide forward and at least one ST), we cannot / will not be able to get the ‘galactico’ signings like Haaland, Rice etc.

I also believe that this previous strategy as failed (Martial, Maguire, AWB, VDB etc) so we need to look at things another way. So, who could be alternatives to the unrealistic targets this summer?

ST - instead of Haaland?
CM - instead of Tchouameni?
DM - instead of Rice?
RB - instead of…whoever?

Last edited:

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I think we seriously need to rethink our transfer strategy. The likelihood is that, the combined chances of us missing out on top and the pure amount of areas we need to reinforce (RB, 2 CMs, a wide forward and at least one ST), we cannot / will not be able to get the ‘galactico’ signings like Haaland, Rice etc.

I also believe that this previous strategy as failed (Martial, Maguire, AWB, VDB etc) so we need to look at things another way. So, who could be alternatives to the unrealistic targets this summer?

ST - instead of Haaland?
DM - instead of Rice?
RB - instead of…whoever?
Players you mentioned are all the best young talents in the world. But not sure the word Galactico applies to them. That would apply to signing someone like DeBruyne or Kimmich. Elite players who have won trophies at the highest levels.

jesperjaap

I think we seriously need to rethink our transfer strategy. The likelihood is that, the combined chances of us missing out on top and the pure amount of areas we need to reinforce (RB, 2 CMs, a wide forward and at least one ST), we cannot / will not be able to get the ‘galactico’ signings like Haaland, Rice etc.

ST - instead of Haaland?
DM - instead of Rice?
RB - instead of…whoever?
Who would envisage we would have signed Varane, Ronaldo and Sancho in one window? They are not unrealistic signings, like you say, it doesnt mean they are the right ones. I think Rice is very realistic and the right one, but a crazy price. As we probably need 5/6 signings this summer with so many possible outgoings, we cant make all big signings though, as majority of our outs will be contracts, terminations or relatively small fees.

I think, considering the prices you can rule out all ENglish signings....and premiership players as alterenatives as they will be the prices of galactios, but:

Striker: Giouri, Adeyemi, Moukoko

Midielders: Kamara, Caqueret, Lesley Ugochukwu, Gravenberch

RB: I havent seen anyone outside the premiership of value personally, so maybe Laird to get a chance

I think there is a lot of good value in France. WIth Greenwoods probable exit and Amad/Pellestri not showing themselves to be ready along with Rashford and SAncho struggling at the moment, think maybe am extra attacking option a possibility f we choose to give Hannibal chances in attacking midfield or midfield.

I know we got linke dwith him in the press, only seen him three times this year but Sulemana at Rennes looks some talent to me and I also like Doku who is still a teenager

Jericholyte2

Players you mentioned are all the best young talents in the world. But not sure the word Galactico applies to them. That would apply to signing someone like DeBruyne or Kimmich. Elite players who have won trophies at the highest levels.
I’m likely to be incorrect here but I feel the galactico term has evolved slightly to the economically crazy transfers. Those that would demand record fees and outrageous wages.

It might just be me but that’s how I see that term now.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I’m likely to be incorrect here but I feel the galactico term has evolved slightly to the economically crazy transfers. Those that would demand record fees and outrageous wages.

It might just be me but that’s how I see that term now.
Dembele and Coutinho were economically crazy transfers. But neither player was a Galactico by any stretch of imagination. But I see your point. Moves involving Rice and Tchouameni would be insane money moves. Does Haaland not have that release clause still?

LordSpud

We will sign one of Rice or Haaland regardless. If Ronaldo, Pogba and Cavani are all off in the summer do you think the club is going to hedge their bets on a shed load of Rashford or Bruno shirts going through? Nah, we need that shiny new toy to keep the money rolling in and so if we offer the marquee players 300-400k+ a week they will come. Thats just business.

Jericholyte2

Dembele and Coutinho were economically crazy transfers. But neither player was a Galactico by any stretch of imagination. But I see your point. Moves involving Rice and Tchouameni would be insane money moves. Does Haaland not have that release clause still?
Yes he does, but I’d imagine given the clubs that would be in for him, plus our unlikely ability to offer CL football next season, wages, bonuses and signing on fees would have to blow everyone else’s offers out of the water to have even a chance of getting him.

jesperjaap

Think is point is sky high transfer fees really, big signings economically. Haaland falls very much into that aterogry with the £67m release clause, the agent fees, signing on fees and wages will be astromical

AsonUnique

I think we seriously need to rethink our transfer strategy. The likelihood is that, the combined chances of us missing out on top four and the pure amount of areas we need to reinforce (RB, 2 CMs, a wide forward and at least one ST), we cannot / will not be able to get the ‘galactico’ signings like Haaland, Rice etc.

ST - instead of Haaland?
DM - instead of Rice?
RB - instead of…whoever?
All the names below are a step down from who you listed but would be young players that could potentially develop.

ST - David, Darwin Nunez
CM - Sanches, Nunes, Kone
DM - Kamara, Camara
RB - Frimpong, Lamptey

OleGunnar20

ST: David
CM: Gravenberch
DM: Kamara
RB: Laird

I would say those are pretty realistic improvements we could make outside of a 'Galactico' type model.

Trequarista10

I am quite sceptical when I see us linked to Haaland, and Rice to a lesser extent. I can imagine us going all out for these two, getting tunnel vision for them, letting other available options move elsewhere for reasonable fees, then we ultimately don't sign either cos they don't want to play in the Europa League, and then we spend double the market value on someone who isn't the required standard.

Ekeke

I feel like plenty of the suggestions have almost as high a profile as the "galacticos" talked about in the op so the price will be similar. Especially as soon as we get involved

Gravenberch for example, he'd be Ajax's most expensive outgoing transfer since 86 million and 85 million euros on De Jong and De Ligt. There would be plenty of competition and Ajax wouldnt want to lose him

Fabian Ruiz we're talking about Napoli's best player and they spent years talking about Koulibally being an 80+ million player and not letting him go for cheaper. They're 2nd and could push on to win the league this season being in the stongest position they've been in quite a while when it comes to keeping their best players and adding to them

These players which would most likely cost like £60 million themselves or more have just as much likelyhood of becoming a "Galactico" as Rice or Tchoumeni and could in fact cost the same amount

The actual alternatives would be players more in the £30-40 million sort of range

Deery

Dreary
I feel like plenty of the suggestions have almost as high a profile as the "galacticos" talked about in the op so the price will be similar. Especially as soon as we get involved

Gravenberch for example, he'd be Ajax's most expensive outgoing transfer since 86 million and 85 million euros on De Jong and De Ligt. There would be plenty of competition and Ajax wouldnt want to lose him

Fabian Ruiz we're talking about Napoli's best player and they spent years talking about Koulibally being an 80+ million player and not letting him go for cheaper. They're 2nd and could push on to win the league this season being in the stongest position they've been in quite a while when it comes to keeping their best players and adding to them

These players which would most likely cost like £60 million themselves or more have just as much likelyhood of becoming a "Galactico" as Rice or Tchoumeni and could in fact cost the same amount

The actual alternatives would be players more in the £30-40 million sort of range
Gravenberch isn’t moving for less than £60m and is still quite young, could be a gamble.

Thing is a lot of decent players will garner a price tag of 40-50 million if still in contract, that’s why I said Tielemans and Bissouma who are running their contacts down and could be acquired at around 25-30 million.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Might I ask, what's wrong with Galacticos approach?

If that's the Glazer spending 600m over 2 season to buy the best in the business (cough... Halaand) I wouldn't object. Infact we have been spending galacticos funding albeit only getting deadwoods to show for the past 3 years.

Jericholyte2

Might I ask, what's wrong with Galacticos approach?

If that's the Glazer spending 600m over 2 season to buy the best in the business (cough... Halaand) I wouldn't object. Infact we have been spending galacticos funding albeit only getting deadwoods to show for the past 3 years.
My issue with it is that, as per my OP, I don’t believe we’ll get Top 4 and so won’t be able to offer these players CL football. I also believe we need too many “1st team ready” players to be spending on Haaland (60m plus agent/signing fee plus wages), Rice (Moyes mentioning how 100m would be rejected outright) or Tchouameni (talk of needing €80m to be considered)

Arguably we’d need all three and I don’t see the Glazers signing off on the type of money needed to get them. The most they gave Ole in a single season was about £150-160 (Maguire, AWB, James in the summer, then Bruno in Jan) and this would come nowhere near what we’d need to plug all of the gaps.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There’s an obvious question mark against his name still a top player and better than Rice.
United certainly won’t be going anywhere near him until that obvious question mark is cleared up. Could you imagine how the club would look buying someone with unresolved sexual allegations after greenwood? Let’s get real, it’s not going to happen

he is a good player, not better than rice but also different. He’s more of a dog chasing a car wheel type

Bondi77

Galacticos are a 25yo Ronnie or Bale,
Not those good or potentially good players mentioned.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The anti-galatico approach is just focusing on value - ie underpriced quality.

Realistically that's mainly frees or expiring contracts, but I'd say:

ST: Schick
CM: Tielemans
CDM: Kamara
CB: Araujo
RB: Spence

That being said, I think we have to keep in mind, Garner could impress in pre season and so could Laird. So RB or CM may not be needed.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
My issue with it is that, as per my OP, I don’t believe we’ll get Top 4 and so won’t be able to offer these players CL football. I also believe we need too many “1st team ready” players to be spending on Haaland (60m plus agent/signing fee plus wages), Rice (Moyes mentioning how 100m would be rejected outright) or Tchouameni (talk of needing €80m to be considered)

Arguably we’d need all three and I don’t see the Glazers signing off on the type of money needed to get them. The most they gave Ole in a single season was about £150-160 (Maguire, AWB, James in the summer, then Bruno in Jan) and this would come nowhere near what we’d need to plug all of the gaps.
You dont need 3 big name. You need 3 good players to fill the gap. And build up from there.

A well functioning team >>> a collection of big names.

I believe 2 midfielder and a reboot formation wise with players that actually wants to play football is what we need

Our target should be good football first. The rest will come naturally

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

I think what you're not factoring in is their contracts. Fabián Ruiz and Ryan Gravenberch both have contracts that expire in Summer 2023. Meaning for the next window that should definitely have an impact on their price. With that in mind, I don't think the £40M-£50M is totally unrealistic for these players. With Rice and Tchouaméni there are many layers that make them difficult signings.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You dont need 3 big name. You need 3 good players to fill the gap. And build up from there.

A well functioning team >>> a collection of big names.

I believe 2 midfielder and a reboot formation wise with players that actually wants to play football is what we need
Exactly, this why we should be looking at profiles of players that we don't have.

A mobile DM or a proper 6 makes sense and I think a proper no 9 are the two obvious things we will lack come the summer.

If we lose Pogba he'll need replacing too, but for me, the midfield could be replaced by:

Kamara + Tielemans for somewhere in the region of 40m (if we're including sign on fees). I think we can then reasonably spend a lot of money on a striker.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Gravenberch isn’t moving for less than £60m and is still quite young, could be a gamble.

Thing is a lot of decent players will garner a price tag of 40-50 million if still in contract, that’s why I said Tielemans and Bissouma who are running their contacts down and could be acquired at around 25-30 million.
Wouldnt be so sure of this. Has only one year remaining after this summer. Think he can be snatched up for about 30 unless he signs a new deal.

I do find him underwhelming for Ajax this year though...

Deery

Dreary
Wouldnt be so sure of this. Has only one year remaining after this summer. Think he can be snatched up for about 30 unless he signs a new deal.

I do find him underwhelming for Ajax this year though...
Oh, my mistake thought Ajax had him tied down as well, haven’t seen a lot of him but quite risky I would think.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
Jude Bellingham is who you guys do not want to miss out on. Don’t be arrogant of the fact he turned United down due to his own belief he knew he was a starter, and that’s been proven right.

He is 18 years old, and has played 150 games. His peers highly rate him. His mate Sancho is at United. He will be good for 15 solid years. He should have the team built around him.

Ekeke

I think what you're not factoring in is their contracts. Fabián Ruiz and Ryan Gravenberch both have contracts that expire in Summer 2023. Meaning for the next window that should definitely have an impact on their price. With that in mind, I don't think the £40M-£50M is totally unrealistic for these players. With Rice and Tchouaméni there are many layers that make them difficult signings.
I feel like this is only that big a deal if the players choose a club and dont want to listen to the host of other clubs who are willing to outbid them. In the cases of players like Gravenberch and Ruiz I find it unlikely that they choose us instead of a bunch of other clubs.

Now it did happen with Varane but we had just finished 2nd and we dont know if he got those other offers to start at top clubs. Most likely he got another good option and we were lucky he chose us so I'm not expecting to get lucky again.

spe88

ST - Darwin Nunez
CM - Ruben Neves
DM - Kamara
CB - Schlotterback / Botman
RB - Lamptey / Aarons

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Galactico strategy is not a very good one in general.

Football fans love to argue about player rankings, who is world class, etc. The reality is that other than a few very special very rare players like Mbappe or Haaland, there isn't much differentiation between the talent-level of players at the top of the game. The important thing isn't getting the flavor of the month player who a bunch of people on Twitter declare is world class and clearly above everybody else at that position, the important thing is finding a set of players that are above the bar on talent but also fit together - ie, all can play the same tactics and each has the attributes necessary for their position given a certain tactical scheme - so that the whole can be more than the sum of the parts. You don't want mediocre ingredients but the key to baking a cake isn't buying the very best ingredients either, its about having a recipe and then selecting quality ingredients that go together and fit that recipe.

City have obviously spent a boatload of money but they are a good example of this. They aren't dominant because they bought the very best players in some absolute sense, they're dominant because they bought very good players that also fit into Guardiola's tactical vision. They spent lots of money on these players, it wasn't they were turning up uncut gems. But many of the players weren't even that heavily pursued by other big clubs (Cancelo, Rodri, Bernardo, Ruben Dias, etc). They didn't buy the flavor of the month player or the one that would give them maximum short-term bragging rights on social media, they bought the player that actually fit the system.

Last edited:

davidmichael

I’d say Mazraoui, Kamara, Tchouameni/Rice, Nkunku, Nunez/Adeyemi is realistic with those that would be outgoing and if we could move a couple of centre backs on then maybe a centre back coming in too.

Mainoldo

ST - Isak (40m)
CM - Tielemans (35m)
DM - Kamara (Free)
RB - Lamptey (32m)

Total : 117m

Not bad considering Rice probably cost 85m on his own. 37m in the budget left to get a winger who wants to pass instead of shoot too.

We Need Another Rebuild

ST - Nunez - £70 - £80 million
CM - Tielemans - £30 - £40 million
CDM - Edson Alvarez - £40 - £50 million
RB - Mazrouai - Free

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Jarrod Bowen
Pedro Neto
Stuart Armstrong
Jacob Ramsey
Youri Tielemans
Sven Botman
Franck Kessie
Antonio Rudiger
Corentin Tolisso

Devil may care

I wouldn't consider the players mentioned 'Galacticos' bar Haaland, but here goes.

ST - Schick
CM - Vitinha/Caqueret/Fabian Ruiz
DM - Tchouameni
RW - Antony/Nkunku

SparkedIntoLife

ST - Charles De Ketelaere (goalscoring stats don't look like much for now but he's an all rounder and has massive potential IMHO)
CM - Lovro Majer/Arsen Zakharyan
DM - Boubacar Kamara
RB - Noussair Mazraoui/Calvin Ramsey/Stephane Singo/Rasmus Kristensen