Amad Diallo signs for Manchester United

Crimson King

40 mil? that's Drinkwater money, better be good!
Jesus, did you guys really pay that much for Drinkwater?! I guess coming off his Leicester form it seemed decent, but hindsight makes it look ridiculous.

Also, pretty sure it's £18mil up front and the rest is add-ons. If he's a success and we pay the full amount then it could end up being a relatively cheap investment...we hope...

Time will tell...

SuperiorXI

He's come to the right place, this club knows how to nurture young talent and give them the conditions to succeed, we've done it time and time again throughout history.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't expect him to be played or even used in Watford game but let's hope he starts EL games and perform.

Glorio

Nope, Ronaldo was not a punt at all. He was absolutely without a doubt an incredibly talented youngster and that was very clear to anyone with a brain on his debut. He wasnt the finished article but nobody is at 18 however he was clearly going to be a big player.
Hmmm.... I was always a huge fan, but I remember quite a few fans saying he was just a show pony (think Denilson). I also remember all the groans when he'd do a step over and trip on his own feet, or when the quality of his crosses were way below the level we expected. He wasn't really productive initially, and was regularly benched by another youngster called Darren Fletcher who wasn't even a winger.

His debut vs Bolton though ... It's etched in my memory - personally, I never felt more hopeful about any other player. I reckon it boils down to mentality. Ronnie never hid, even on bad days, he'd just get up and try again! :lol:

He was actually....from his debut he was obviously inconsistent but on his good days he was truely outstanding in his first season. The semi v arsenal and the final v millwall as examples. He was head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. There are many other games too if you looked through the season. He was simply over scrutinised by the media, making his first few seasons look poor.
Quesresma was more highly rated as a youngster than Ronaldo. My point was mostly about the “generation talent” and people forgetting that after selling Becks and chasing Ronaldinho, signing Ronaldo was viewed as an anticlimax. Granted a good debut changed perceptions. So for me Diallo is very Ronaldo like signing, chased Sancho and now signed a youngster

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Random aside, a friend of mine genuinely thought the words to the song were "Sign, Sealed, A Given"

Mihai

40m is a lot for a kid with not many games under his belt. Let’s hope our scouts know what they’re doing for once!
Agree. That is why I don't think this is the usual punt for a promising youngster. I think the scouts must be really sure he is worth it.

Has anyone seen details on what the addons are supposedly subject to? I'm wondering whether we're ever likely to pay them if he doesn't live up to the hype. They could be the likes of Woodward's classic ballon d'or addon.
No, can't find anything anywhere. I am curious as well.

Nick7

Wonder if #19 means he’s going straight into the first team

Agree. That is why I don't think this is the usual punt for a promising youngster. I think the scouts must be really sure he is worth it.
Similar to the Martial signing.

edit: ah no Martial had way more games for Monaco than I remembered

Crashoutcassius

Ogden's probably bitter about being demoted to ESPN. He got lucky (which he self admitted) about SAF's retirement and has been riding on that ever since. He's just not a good journalist. Castles just like to wind people up and Luckhurst writes like a fan forum poster.
I agree about luckhurt haha but Castles like to wind us up specifically? And loved us when we had Mourinho... do we think he has some connectio or has had to mourinho?

Daniel Storey today saying Diallo signing must be some record in terms of expense, this lad is going to have it very hard

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I agree about luckhurt haha but Castles like to wind us up specifically? And loved us when we had Mourinho... do we think he has some connectio or has had to mourinho?

Daniel Storey today saying Diallo signing must be some record in terms of expense, this lad is going to have it very hard
He is paid by Mendes who is Mourinho's agent.

That's why he is always praising Mourinho and talking down about Ole (because Ole replaced Mourinho)

Jonno

We're crying out for a RW. Rashfords been shunted out there, Greenwood has been playing there, Mata.

He will be straight in first team/subs contention for the remainder of the season, this is a fantastic opportunity for him to get into the first team due to the lack of RW options.

No need for £120m on Sancho if this kid can grow into the role. We could spend £60m on midfielders and £60m on defenders if that's the case

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Regarding Ogden being a bitter, resentful, twerp, I imagine it has something to do with him going from our most reliable journalist under Moyes to being cast out under LvG. Of course he'd pick the scouting report from some no-mark to try and make our new signing look poor, when every single other scout who's weighed in on him has said the opposite.

RuudTom83

One good thing about Europa this season (he can still play for United in that competition right?) is we can watch Diallo and Mason playing in there preferred positions.

Smores

Watching all the clips the lad seems to have very good decision making. It'll be interesting to see how he does, i thought Chong would hit the first team running but his play completely stalled stepping up to big games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
One good thing about Europa this season (he can still play for United in that competition right?) is we can watch Diallo and Mason playing in there preferred positions.
People keep talking about the Europa. There’s a very good chance that will be just one game. A weakened team against Sociedad could easily see us knocked out.

Alemar

. A weakened team against Sociedad could easily see us knocked out.
Come on. A “weakened team” may include Telles, VDB, Matic, Greenwood, Diallo, Mata, Tuanzebe... these guys may overpower a mighty Sociedad

laughtersassassin

Watching all the clips the lad seems to have very good decision making. It'll be interesting to see how he does, i thought Chong would hit the first team running but his play completely stalled stepping up to big games.
Thing is Chong never looked good on the ball.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Come on. A “weakened team” may include Telles, VDB, Matic, Greenwood, Diallo, Mata, Tuanzebe... these guys may overpower a mighty Sociedad
This is such a dismissive response to a very solid outfit and reeks of PL bias. They're 4th in La Liga, we wouldn't play all those players against Leicester or Tottenham, if we don't treat Sociedad with a bit of respect make no mistake they will knock us out.

Alemar

This is such a dismissive response to a very solid outfit and reeks of PL bias. They're 4th in La Liga, we wouldn't play all those players against Leicester or Tottenham, if we don't treat Sociedad with a bit of respect make no mistake they will knock us out.
But why? Apart from Mata, all these guys may play against any opposition (we’ve seen Tuanzebe vs Neymar, for instance - was Ok). Diallo we of course have yet to see, but others are more than good enough.

We perhaps lack a few excellent players in the team, but we have a very, very good depth of “good players”, many of whom are of similar calibre

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Hmmm.... I was always a huge fan, but I remember quite a few fans saying he was just a show pony (think Denilson). I also remember all the groans when he'd do a step over and trip on his own feet, or when the quality of his crosses were way below the level we expected. He wasn't really productive initially, and was regularly benched by another youngster called Darren Fletcher who wasn't even a winger.

His debut vs Bolton though ... It's etched in my memory - personally, I never felt more hopeful about any other player. I reckon it boils down to mentality. Ronnie never hid, even on bad days, he'd just get up and try again! :lol:
Yeah there were fans who thought he was a show pony but those are the types of fans who dont like a player because of their haircut and just dont understand players with flair or why they have to be allowed to screw up. I remember him messing up lots of things, the falling over during stepovers etc. Yes he wasnt hugely productive at first, no argument but everyone could see his skill and technique and as you mention he never hid. He was brave enough to fail and screwing something up didnt frighten him off trying again. He was just a kid and lacked experience not ability.
Its the ball control, the flair, the fact he had so much control (most of the time) at pace, his first touch, his ability with either foot, his passing quality ( mostly) that meant he was never a punt. Multiple players telling Fergie we had to buy him is something you just never hear of with other players. The players knew. I am old enough to have been lucky enough to have gone to OT for 2 seasons and see Best play. Ronnie was the 1st player I had seen who made the crowd buzz whenever he got the ball since Best was with us.
I just think the idea he was a "Punt" is ludicrous, his ability and quality was visible from his first game and he was always destined for big things. A punt?? ha, give me a break.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yeah there were fans who thought he was a show pony but those are the types of fans who dont like a player because of their haircut and just dont understand players with flair or why they have to be allowed to screw up. I remember him messing up lots of things, the falling over during stepovers etc. Yes he wasnt hugely productive at first, no argument but everyone could see his skill and technique and as you mention he never hid. He was brave enough to fail and screwing something up didnt frighten him off trying again. He was just a kid and lacked experience not ability.
Its the ball control, the flair, the fact he had so much control (most of the time) at pace, his first touch, his ability with either foot, his passing quality ( mostly) that meant he was never a punt. Multiple players telling Fergie we had to buy him is something you just never hear of with other players. The players knew. I am old enough to have been lucky enough to have gone to OT for 2 seasons and see Best play. Ronnie was the 1st player I had seen who made the crowd buzz whenever he got the ball since Best was with us.
I just think the idea he was a "Punt" is ludicrous, his ability and quality was visible from his first game and he was always destined for big things. A punt?? ha, give me a break.
Totally agree....Ronaldo was always on another planet in terms of ability, SAF said from very early on he was going to be the best player in the world. You’re also correct about the type of fan who called him a show pony.