Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Really promising signs for Amad from today's quotes by Tony Mowbray. Their Sporting Director Kristjaan Speakman commented on him a few days ago too.

They've both got a lot of faith in him. From watching his recent matches he's full of confidence, so he looks to be in the right place for sure.

Abraxas

Bit weird he's describing him as a centre forward, but I think we'd take him on the pitch however it comes.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Technically he’s just so different. He’s going to stand out a mile when he gets a few games in a row. The major things holding him back are finishing, physicality and in game intensity. If he can take those things up a level I think he can still genuinely become top class. I think he’s going to prove that he’s at least a PL level player but he could easily still go on to become one of the best young players in the country.

jeepers

Is Mowbray the kind of manager who considers 10s/attacking midfielders as strikers/forwards?

How are their wingers like if they do intend to play Amad as a striker? I would imagine he would play as a false nine.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Sunderland boss identifies issue holding back Manchester United loanee Amad's development

Amad is still awaiting his first start for Sunderland since arriving on loan from Man United at the end of August.

"He's just a young boy really, but he's supremely talented," Mowbray said. "To see his touch, and see how fast and direct he is, it's a lovely thing to watch on the training pitch. "You see how talented he is, and you can see why he's at Man United, but you can also understand why he's out on loan, to develop the core materials you need to be a competitive footballer. He needs to find a better end product.
"He has all this soft, lovely feet and brilliant skills, but he needs to shoot when he gets in the box. When he sees the goal, he needs to shoot, and he needs to add goals and assists to his name.
"Any fecking chance, anyone want to shoot? You're 18-yards away from goal and you keep fecking passing it. Shoot! You won't ever score a goal if you don't shoot. Finish!"

Marwood

Sunderland boss identifies issue holding back Manchester United loanee Amad's development

Amad is still awaiting his first start for Sunderland since arriving on loan from Man United at the end of August.

"Any fecking chance, anyone want to shoot? You're 18-yards away from goal and you keep fecking passing it. Shoot! You won't ever score a goal if you don't shoot. Finish!"
Think Mowbray is right.

Looks to me like he hasn't yet grasped the actual point of playing football. Goals, assists, winning games > looking good.

TsuWave

Are they trying to turn him into a striker? (not the quote about end product)

Funny enough United needs an attacker/wide player who takes on and dribbles past people

Glorio

He's right - it's the glaring issue when you watch Amad - he's progressive and creative, but hasn't developed that ruthlessness to decide a game.

Needs to be a lot more decisive in his attacking play

Last edited:

Mainoldo

When Elanga gets the nod over him you all most certainly know mentality is involved.

He has the desire of a street baller… hopefully like people say he grows in that regard.

I still think he needs to work on his core.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
All that’s being said now, you could have did the same about Ronaldo at the same age before it all came together

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not really no, thats silly. He was already embarrassing top flight defenders at that age.
At 18 Ronaldo was still doing too many step overs and tricks. I remember fergie talking about how they refocused him on being more direct, and look how he took it to it.

not saying Diallo is going to be Ronaldo, I’m saying that the advice given at his age is the same - be more direct

phelans shorts

He's a winger though, he's meant to do nutmegs and dribbles and then pass or shoot, not finish.
He’s a wide forward, so finishing is definitely part of his remit.

I’m actually quite encouraged by those quotes. Mowbray clearly rates him very highly and is working on a very specific element of his game, we all know how good Amad is at what he does already.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Are they trying to turn him into a striker? (not the quote about end product)

Funny enough United needs an attacker/wide player who takes on and dribbles past people
No they are not trying to turn him I to a striker.
He is playing up top currently due to injuries and lack of numbers in that area, however when he has been coming on he tends to play from the right, but looks like big Tony wants his forward players to all be grabbing goals, which they havent been the past few games.

Glorio

Not really no, thats silly. He was already embarrassing top flight defenders at that age.
The principle is exactly the same though, so not silly: Basically a young player doing lot's of fancy moves with little end product is encouraged to be more direct and much more end result focused in order to impact games more.

It's a common develop step for young skillful players, and yes, skilful is a relative term

TsuWave

No they are not trying to turn him I to a striker.
He is playing up top currently due to injuries and lack of numbers in that area, however when he has been coming on he tends to play from the right, but looks like big Tony wants his forward players to all be grabbing goals, which they havent been the past few games.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the update. I will actually try to watch their next game if I can.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I wouldn't be surprised if that's where we see his future, through the middle. If I remember rightly, that's where ten hag played him in friendlies and also where Ole played him a few times.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ah, I see. Thanks for the update. I will actually try to watch their next game if I can.
I wouldn't if I were you, Sunderland are a :lol: Hard watch right now

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
You know what, fair play to him and the club for him going to Sunderland to develop him as a footballer. Sounds like he's an academy kid trying to make the breakthrough so a lower league will do him nice. The pressure needs to be off his back give him time to hone in on his game.

jackal&hyde

All that’s being said now, you could have did the same about Ronaldo at the same age before it all came together
It's insane. A very talented young player with very little experience, is marked for being talented and having no experience..

How people forget this guy had like 50 mins of professional football when he came here is beyond me.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
You know what, fair play to him and the club for him going to Sunderland to develop him as a footballer. Sounds like he's an academy kid trying to make the breakthrough so a lower league will do him nice. The pressure needs to be off his back give him time to hone in on his game.
He’s hamstrung a bit by the fee and the accompanying expectations. He looks an incredible talent but he could do without the constant scrutiny.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Their fans seem to have the same opinion. Rate him highly but don’t think he’s shooting enough. He’s young so patience is key here