Amadou Onana

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Apparently we're linked to him. His on the ball. FBref doesn't look pretty but then again, he plays for Everton. Stand at 6 Foot 4 inches, Really good in the air and at winning tackles. Also doubt Everton will sell, since they just got him for £30m last season. Thoughts?

dcrompton

Apparently we're linked to him. His on the ball. FBref doesn't look pretty but then again, he plays for Everton. Stand at 6 Foot 4 inches, Really good in the air and at winning tackles. Also doubt Everton will sell, since they just got him for £30m last season. Thoughts?
Bit like a bus, you wait ages for an Onana to turn up then 2 come at once

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He had a good game for the most part today, especially in the first half but he has a tendency to switch off and have poor patches during games which he needs to iron out. I think it's best for his development to stay with us for one more season because he's not like someone such as Caicedo for example who is already nearly the finished article.

Abraxas

Doesn't seem that likely to me, wouldn't Everton want 60 million or something?

Not a fan of him on the ball, looks awkward. But he's young for a central midfielder. If ETH fancied him then at least he's got that on his side.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I haven't watched him enough to form a opinion, but he seems to be rated by a number of people who analyse the game both with the eye test and statistically. Technically he's said to be a very good player for his size and is also said to be excellent out of possession.

The tweets below shed light on on his performance earlier today and his potential generally for a player who is still 21 (turns 22 on the 16th of August).

Blood Mage

He is in the McFred tier of midfielders and wouldn't be cheap either no thanks.

Abraxas

I haven't watched him enough to form a opinion, but he seems to be rated by a number of people who analyse the game both with the eye test and statistically. Technically he's said to be a very good player for his size and is also said to be excellent out of possession.

The tweets below shed light on on his performance earlier today and his potential generally for a player who is still 21 (turns 22 on the 16th of August).

Interesting. Fully admit my opinion on his technical ability is mostly informed by aesthetics. And an insufficient amount of data as I don't watch Everton every week.

Can't be easy as a young player coming into that diabolical Everton team last year.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Interesting. Fully admit my opinion on his technical ability is mostly informed by aesthetics. And an insufficient amount of data as I don't watch Everton every week.

Can't be easy as a young player coming into that diabolical Everton team last year.
You're not alone. I also had it in my mind that he likely isn't good enough technically due to his size and how awkward he looked on the ball.

dutchred

Interesting that he and Romeo will be fighting for the one position in the Belgium national team

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Yeah, he made a few very good passes today to set us up on the counter and some nice technical interchanges with Iwobi. As said though, the only problem I have with him is his mentality...he really does switch off at times which is detrimental to him as an individual but also to the team. United fans would berate him heavily, he's not ready for a club near the top yet.

Dannn411

If this is the planned alternative to Mctominay then might as well just keep Mctominay.

Redstain

Guess there's some similarities between him and Ndidi a few seasons ago. Excels at everything of a defensive midfielder out of possession not as good when in possession. I still personally concede that if Casemiro is unavailable for whatever reason this team will revert to the pre Ragnick performance levels. No spine and then the players down tools whenever the opposition has a little intensity. He's more than good enough to play a role behind Casemiro.

Andersons Dietician

Given we are probably going to sell McT and Fred our midfield needs an engine and physical presence in it and he seems to tick all the boxes. I’m actually pretty worried about our midfield. Just doesn’t seem like a good combo of players to me.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’m starting to think we will never sign a twinky press resistant buildup midfielder. It’s all defensive destroyers or no.10s masquerading as central midfielders.

Acole9

Outstanding
No way can we sign him. People used to get Lingard and Lindegaard muddled up, can you imagine how bad this would be.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, he made a few very good passes today to set us up on the counter and some nice technical interchanges with Iwobi. As said though, the only problem I have with him is his mentality...he really does switch off at times which is detrimental to him as an individual but also to the team. United fans would berate him heavily, he's not ready for a club near the top yet.
I don't think he's someone we will sign anytime soon. I think we'll target a different type of midfielder in the current window.

Rolaholic

Can't say he's not a dapper gent

Think he'd be a decent squad option and an upgrade on McFred and VDB for us as well tbf.

Just feel he wouldn't be a cheap option given he's arguably their best player and they spent 40m euro on him just last summer.

He'd probably go for Lavia money

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Can't say he's not a dapper gent

Think he'd be a decent squad option and an upgrade on McFred and VDB for us as well tbf.

Just feel he wouldn't be a cheap option given he's arguably their best player and they spent 40m euro on him just last summer.

He'd probably go for Lavia money
Exchange him for Mctominay and Fred money?

Red_Aaron

Capable of the sublime and the ridiculous, often within moments of one another

He's a unit though and has good technical fundamentals - with the right coach there's a proper player in there I reckon

Not sure he'd want to come sit on the bench though

SAFMUTD

Im exactly that person the one who thinks he's purely a destroyer. If he's not then bring him defensively he's good but we need players who can contribute more on the attacking side of the game.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Im exactly that person the one who thinks he's purely a destroyer. If he's not then bring him defensively he's good but we need players who can contribute more on the attacking side of the game.
As Casemiro's replacement, he doesn't need to attacking.

SAFMUTD

As Casemiro's replacement, he doesn't need to attacking.
Every top team has midfield players that contribute on both sides of the pitch. Having a player that only works on one is a disadvantage.

If you think Casemiro only defends maybe were watching different sports.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Every top team has midfield players that contribute on both sides of the pitch. Having a player that only works on one is a disadvantage.

If you think Casemiro only defends maybe were watching different sports.
Clearly you have your wires crossed. Let's leave it at that.

In Rainbows

I’m starting to think we will never sign a twinky press resistant buildup midfielder. It’s all defensive destroyers or no.10s masquerading as central midfielders.
I mean to be fair, that is the case for a lot of the best midfielders. Modric and Frenkie were originally 10s. Not all 10s are built the same. Some 10s are more naturally suited to becoming first team strikers (Kane), some forwards (Greenwood), some wingers (Rashford), some deeper midfielders. It's about recognizing which 10s have a natural quality to be able to make the transition to that press resistant buildup midfielder we need.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
You have to sign this type of cm before he gets to Everton or a PL club not after.

Habib Diarra of Strasbourg who we have been linked with likely profiles similarly and would cost a whole lot less.

Mainoldo

I don't rate him much to be honest, I think everton is his level.
Do you rate Amrabat? Just wondering if people cannot rate this guy but at the sametime rate Amrabat who is playing at the same level, not showing significantly more.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think he offers a threat on set pieces as well as defending. I think he is still slight upgrade to McTominay.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I disagree. Some players just aren't ready for a top club yet and Onana definitely isn't.
That's a fair opinion and you see more of him than I do, I do however think it mostly his physical profile as well as age(21) and the fact that he clearly does have technical ability (however inconsistent that might be) that might be attracting us and as I mentioned we have been linked to a similar cm in Habib Diarra. Perhaps if this is actually coming from Ten Haag then he may feel he can mould him to what he wants as he would be second fiddle to Casemiro in the short term anyway.

Could I ask what in particular you feel he lacks at this point that makes him not good enough for a top club?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Do you rate Amrabat? Just wondering if people cannot rate this guy but at the sametime rate Amrabat who is playing at the same level, not showing significantly more.
Yes I do rate Amrabat, think he'll be a great defensive option to have.
Amrabat i assume will be cheaper and has had better big game performances to go along with, he was great in the world cup and against West ham in the conference league.