Amadou Onana

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Who would you drop from midfield for him if we do get him , my pick would be Fernandes despite Mount's not so great start though not many would agree with that .
Personally, I don't think that we can afford to persist with Antony on the right.
I'd put Mount in as an attacking right sided attacker, he would have a vital dual role, and a new CM in the middle.

gajender

Personally, I don't think that we can afford to persist with Antony on the right.
I'd put Mount in as an attacking right sided attacker, he would have a vital dual role, and a new CM in the middle.
That wouldn't reflect well on Ten Hag at all but If these changes leads to something better then I see no harm in doing that either .

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Apparently United's scouting team have him as our number one midfield target according to a transfer exclusive on the UnitedView.

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, he's young and his athleticism is needed to partner Kobbie, who's still growing into his body and, his height and physicality is also needed with again, Kobbie and more importantly Licha as one of our centre backs. He'll improve us immensely in games against the likes of Newcastle, where we always get physically dominated. Tackling wise, he's like the midfield AWB.

On the other hand, not sure if it's because of Everton or not, but I don't think he's polished enough technically. This showing particularly when he attempts defence splitting passes or long shots. Just feels like we should be able to find someone with his physically but also technically better. On top of all this, he won't be cheap.

Of course this maybe pointless if the new director to football and head of recruitment comes in and decides to go down a different route.

SAF is the GOAT

If we'll get him at a decent price - it's more than welcome, but if not - I don't think he's worth a large sum of money and we can search for a more technical player

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
If we'll get him at a decent price - it's more than welcome, but if not - I don't think he's worth a large sum of money and we can search for a more technical player
He's definitely not gonna be cheap. I reckon Everton will value him at over £70M considering what he cost them and what other midfielders are going for. Our best bet is if they get relegated or we're able to send Mctominay the other way.

IrishMcD

Not sure how true this is, but I’m drunk so I’m gonna mention it, free of any fact checking whatsoever. I was reading during the week that he said he didn’t mind Everton going out of the cup as it meant he’d have more time to spend on his rap career. Someone on the Everton forum referred to his “raping” career instead of his “rapping” career which I found hilarious; the former would have been a very odd career choice

croadyman

He's definitely not gonna be cheap. I reckon Everton will value him at over £70M considering what he cost them and what other midfielders are going for. Our best bet is if they get relegated or we're able to send Mctominay the other way.
Yeah feels like INEOS will be looking to get two midfielders for that sort of money. One who is of a similar profile and another who can provide that quality on the ball. Personally I feel that's the right sort of approach if we want to improve the squad

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Yeah feels like INEOS will be looking to get two midfielders for that sort of money. One who is of a similar profile and another who can provide that quality on the ball. Personally I feel that's the right sort of approach if we want to improve the squad
Looking at the squad, assuming we lose Casemiro and Mctominay in the summer, we'll be left with Bruno, Mount, Eriksen and Kobbie. Looking at those, I'd say we need two physical beasts, a starter and a back up. I know there's been talks of Joao Neves, but I not sure we'll go for the ball playing type, especially if Kobbie continues to progress this season.

croadyman

Looking at the squad, assuming we lose Casemiro and Mctominay in the summer, we'll be left with Bruno, Mount, Eriksen and Kobbie. Looking at those, I'd say we need two physical beasts, a starter and a back up. I know there's been talks of Joao Neves, but I not sure we'll go for the ball playing type, especially if Kobbie continues to progress this season.
Who would you like to see us sign as the starter and backup physical player then?

Redivy

I think we desperately need some physicality. We really lack in pace, strength and power in the side.

Ace

Can we send Andre the other direction? Only one Onana in the squad please.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
Why do we keep getting linked with physical players when we lack technical ability? Onana's passing stats aren't great, and if we continue to attempt to play out from the back, a player like him wouldn't benefit us.

Bondi77

Why do we keep getting linked with physical players when we lack technical ability? Onana's passing stats aren't great, and if we continue to attempt to play out from the back, a player like him wouldn't benefit us.
Thats right we don't need more donkeys and this guy is a poor mans Fellaini.
We need good technical footballers that value possession and can thread a pass to a striker and will put a good shift in when ever they are selected.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Because we also lack physicality somehow

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He and Mainoo would make an excellent double pivot. He already does with Garner and Mainoo is the more talented footballer.

redcucumber

I know another Rodri being readily available is fantasy stuff, but isn't there a player out there that combines defensive nous with technical proficiency? Whenever I've watched Onana on the ball there's very little going on.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He and Mainoo would make an excellent double pivot. He already does with Garner and Mainoo is the more talented footballer.
The way ten Hag sets up so far, it seems like it’d be only one of Onana or Mainoo. We’ll have to see if he actually plays Casemiro and Mainoo together at some point.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The way ten Hag sets up so far, it seems like it’d be only one of Onana or Mainoo. We’ll have to see if he actually plays Casemiro and Mainoo together at some point.
It's one thing I don't really understand with ten Hag as you'd get the best out of Bruno or Mount, Mainoo and Onana in that set-up.

I think the first minute or so of this video is a good example of his technique/more progessive play style that he is capable of for those worried about that, aside from his excellent defensive skills/ball carrying ability due to his sheer athleticism.

Hughes35

I think he's a good player and would be a good addition. I'd presume Everton might to sell due to FFP and to avoid any more breaches so possibly we could get a decent deal.

onemanarmy

Thats right we don't need more donkeys and this guy is a poor mans Fellaini.
We need good technical footballers that value possession and can thread a pass to a striker and will put a good shift in when ever they are selected.
Tell me you haven't watched him play without telling me you haven't watched him play. That's a ridiculous statement. Watch the first minute of that video posted above, he isn't a donkey at all.

United888

This guy is a player if you watch him with eye test looks much better than the stats. I think no one has doubt of how good he is defensively and in his physical strength. In term of passing, I think he has good passing ability on his locker because I had seen him play good long diagonal passing at Everton and can play one touch passing. He has bit of flair in him as well which he uses it well to beat opposition pressing.

When I watched him in the first half of last season, I wasn’t impressed with his ability on the ball. Lost the ball when being pressed and not a good passer. But this season and end of last season, whenever I watched him, I saw massive improvement in his passing and his ability on the ball.

I think there is great talent in this guy. He’s been underrated imo.

Gordon Godot

Tell me you haven't watched him play without telling me you haven't watched him play. That's a ridiculous statement. Watch the first minute of that video posted above, he isn't a donkey at all.
He is far, far better than Fellani. He has some good skills but more important great physicality. He consistently wins headers in a way Fellani never did, but crucially can progress play. It was Rangnick who identified we sign too many players who cant cope with the physicality of Premier league. Lindelof, Sancho, Antony, Amrabat, Fred even. The list goes on.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's really good at last ditch tackle. If we contiune playing like we do this season, he is exactly what we need in that DM position.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's one thing I don't really understand with ten Hag as you'd get the best out of Bruno or Mount, Mainoo and Onana in that set-up.
Yep. It's a recurring theme this season where a lot are confused with the tactical set-up. The way he's trying to play works in a vacuum, it just doesn't work with what we have.

I think the first minute or so of this video is a good example of his technique/more progessive play style that he is capable of for those worried about that, aside from his excellent defensive skills/ball carrying ability due to his sheer athleticism.
I have little doubt he is one of Everton's best players, if not their best. A lot of the play in the first minute of that video is line breaking passes on counter attacking situations, though. I do wonder if his passing and ball carrying will hold up against deeper defences when playing for a side like us higher up the table.

His obvious strengths would improve us - he's huge; strong; and wins a feck tonne of headers. Just think you'll price us out of it being value for money -- especially if we're interested in Branthwaite too. Could be an either or situation.

Oranges038

Good player.

If Everton could be convinced to sell at a reasonable price this window, then he'd be worth a punt. Would add some much needed pace and physicality to the midfield.

Decent on the ball too, but whether or not he's good enough for a team expected to dominate the ball and be progressive remains to be seen.

daba

Would be good to get a player in the 6/8 mould and another who’s more of a straight 6.

6/7: Khephrem Thuram or Kouadio Kone
+
6: Wieffer or Gourna-Douath or Florentino Luis

Then go all in Joao Neves summer 2025 as Eriksen’s replacement. We would have some midfield at that point.

Kingslayer18

Would be good to get a player in the 6/8 mould and another who’s more of a straight 6.

+

Then go all in Joao Neves summer 2025 as Eriksen’s replacement. We would have some midfield at that point.

If we're looking for a 6/8 hybrid then Onana should surely be first choice above Thuram or Kone. He has the added benefit of being experienced in the EPL already so there will be no transition period. I think he has another level in him and would suit us well. I think he has more technical ability than most give him credit for but still not sure if he can play line breaking passes consistently.

Now that Vermeeren is off the table, I'd prefer Gourna-Douth of your no 6 options.

daba

If we're looking for a 6/8 hybrid then Onana should surely be first choice above Thuram or Kone. He has the added benefit of being experienced in the EPL already so there will be no transition period. I think he has another level in him and would suit us well. I think he has more technical ability than most give him credit for but still not sure if he can play line breaking passes consistently.

Now that Vermeeren is off the table, I'd prefer Gourna-Douth of your no 6 options.
Thuram or Kone will likely be £35-40m compared to Onana who will be minimum £60m. So if we’re going to make more than one signing we may need to take more of a risk. Also, although Onana is better defensively both Thuram and Kone are far better dribblers and ball carriers, something we really struggle with currently which I would like to see from that 6/8 role.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.

+

I prefer signing players like Maxence Caqueret, Enzo Le Fée, and Youssouf Fofana who have excellent defensive skills and good passing stats. Having any two of them alongside Kobbie, Mount, Bruno, and Eriksen would give us technically capable midfield options.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I prefer signing players like Maxence Caqueret, Enzo Le Fée, and Youssouf Fofana who have excellent defensive skills and good passing stats. Having any two of them alongside Kobbie, Mount, Bruno, and Eriksen would give us technically capable midfield options.
You need height and athleticism. Playing Kobbie and Martinez means you need a physically dominant player, otherwise you're relying on the other CB to do all your aerial work. Too much for one person.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
You need height and athleticism. Playing Kobbie and Martinez means you need a physically dominant player, otherwise you're relying on the other CB to do all your aerial work. Too much for one person.
At this stage, we need players who can sit deep, dictate play, and move the ball as quickly and accurately as possible to set up Rashford and Højlund for scoring goals. Physically dominant players often lack technical skills, which is not what we should be looking for right now.

tomaldinho1

We lack pace more than technical ability. As you said though, this specific role is where we need an absolute worldie player given how important the DM is in possession based teams, not sure Onana is that.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
We lack pace more than technical ability. As you said though, this specific role is where we need an absolute worldie player given how important the DM is in possession based teams, not sure Onana is that.
Four players in our team are rapid, namely Rashford, Garnacho, Wan-Bissaka (if he remains), and Hejlund. Players like Shaw, Mount, Mainoo, Dalot (if he stays), and Martinez, do not have a problem with pace. Our team's biggest weakness arises when Eriksen is not available or not in form. However, Maxence Caquere is a suitable replacement, having a passing range very similar to Eriksen, and is also a capable defensive player.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

That pass on 0:19 is excellent.