American reds - a little advice?

Church o Choccy

Sorry to post such a self indulgent thread, I've been tied up in googling and searching on here and couldn't figure out the answer to my question

I'm about to emigrate to the US for a 5 year PhD programme and I'm trying to figure out the best bet for watching United and the Premier League/Champions League in general. I see NBC have the rights but there's also a thing called Peacock? Will I have to get cable to watch the matches or is there some kind of online streaming subscription option? Helpfully, when I try to look at the NBC sports website it just tells me its not available in my region (with me still being in the UK) and then redirects me so I can't figure any of this out.

I arrive at my new apartment in the US the day before we kick off the new season so having some idea of what I need to get sorted before that 7:30am kick off against Leeds would be great (those kick offs with the time differences are gonna kill me - I was living in Nepal in 2020 and the evening matches were killers, now it's the other way and I'm gonna hate the lunchtime kick offs!)

Any information very gratefully received. Thanks!

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I use Peacock. It is a streaming service that can be used without a cable subscription. It was a bit shaky when it started streaming, but is very stable now. The only reason I have the subscription is for PL. Most of their other programing does not appeal to me.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You have FuboTV, Peacock, and those shady river sites, that's how I get by.

ATXRedDevil

Some games are strictly on Peacock, but the majority of the United games will be on NBC or NBCSN or another NBC affiliate that will be included in most tv/cable packages. I dumped cable years ago and had Playstation Vue until it died, and now use YouTube TV. I used to pay the $5/month for Peacock so that I could watch the half dozen or so United games that aren't on a TV channel each month. I now get Peacock for free with my internet service (Xfinity from Comcast, which is affiliated with NBC). Between YoutubeTV and Peacock, I can watch every PL game.

I've no idea if you can watch the PL games that are televised on NBC tv channels through a Peacock subscription, or if the subscription only allows you to watch the games that are Peacock only.

Welcome to the US and congrats on your acceptance into the phd program.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think the games that are on NBC and NBCSN that are not available live on Peacock are available the next day for streaming.

Edit to add NBCSN is going away.

US media giant NBCUniversal is shutting down NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) by the end of 2021 and will shift the bulk of its sports programming to the USA Network cable channel and Peacock streaming service.

ATXRedDevil

I think the games that are on NBC and NBCSN that are not available live on Peacock are available the next day for streaming.

Edit to add NBCSN is going away.

US media giant NBCUniversal is shutting down NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) by the end of 2021 and will shift the bulk of its sports programming to the USA Network cable channel and Peacock streaming service.
Good shout - I think you’re right about the delayed availability.

OP - if you’re worried about timing/setting up services, since you move in the day before the game, YouTube TV should offer a trial period for a week or so that you can cancel before it expires. If the first game is on one of the NBC tv channels and not Peacock, you could sign up for the trial and can use YouTube Tv on a browser or phone to watch the game and hopefully by the next kick off you’ll be all settled.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Find a local British pub that opens at 5 a.m. for matches and make yourself a regular.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Fubotv for 64.99 and 5.99 for peacock, per month. You are covered for EPl, La Liga and CL - all 4ks, HDs.

This is what's available legally .
No cable required, available to stream over phone, iPad or TV .

There might be Streams out there for free.

Church o Choccy

Thanks very much everyone. Think a combination of YouTube TV and Peacock is the way to go then

Really appreciate the advice.

Good to see ya, too. :)
You too, mate. Long time! Thanks for the info.

Peace and political science - I've been working on peacebuilding and in conflict affected places for over 10 years now so hoping to turn my experience towards something good in academia. Also hoping to make the most of 5 years in the US that conveniently ends with the US hosting a world cup in 2026. Hopefully I'll celebrate by going to some of the matches as Dr. Choccy!

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
@Church o Choccy what PhD program?

Does this exist on the west coast?

I'm close to a pub in EST; They open their doors at 7:30 am. Always a good crowd on Saturdays and Sundays.
Yes, in Northern and Southern California there are pubs that will open for the earliest PL game (even 4:30 a.m. on some occasions). They can't serve alcohol until 6 a.m. but some will serve breakfast before then. I've been with a friend on a few occasions to the early game and the pubs will be packed quite early, although usually only for the most popular teams like United, Liverpool, Arsenal and sometimes even Chelsea. I've even heard of a Tottenham pub though I've never been myself.+

Wing Attack Plan R

Sorry to post such a self indulgent thread, I've been tied up in googling and searching on here and couldn't figure out the answer to my question

I'm about to emigrate to the US for a 5 year PhD programme and I'm trying to figure out the best bet for watching United and the Premier League/Champions League in general. I see NBC have the rights but there's also a thing called Peacock? Will I have to get cable to watch the matches or is there some kind of online streaming subscription option? Helpfully, when I try to look at the NBC sports website it just tells me its not available in my region (with me still being in the UK) and then redirects me so I can't figure any of this out.

I arrive at my new apartment in the US the day before we kick off the new season so having some idea of what I need to get sorted before that 7:30am kick off against Leeds would be great (those kick offs with the time differences are gonna kill me - I was living in Nepal in 2020 and the evening matches were killers, now it's the other way and I'm gonna hate the lunchtime kick offs!)

There are United supporters clubs in most big cities. You could probably find them on facebook. The one here in Los Angeles meets up at a pub for nearly all the matches. The people in that supporters club will also know the best way to view the matches online as well. Good luck.

nikineil

Yes, in Northern and Southern California there are pubs that will open for the earliest PL game (even 4:30 a.m. on some occasions). They can't serve alcohol until 6 a.m. but some will serve breakfast before then. I've been with a friend on a few occasions to the early game and the pubs will be packed quite early, although usually only for the most popular teams like United, Liverpool, Arsenal and sometimes even Chelsea. I've even heard of a Tottenham pub though I've never been myself.+
I can confirm this! And, in fact, I have been able to have a pint or two at 4:30am, since I knew the owner of the pub.

skc_18

As someone mentioned, as you are arriving on kick-off day, best would be to use Youtube TV trial or FuboTV trial as the first match is not on Peacock.After that, if you are getting xfinity cable peacock is free otherwise you have to pay $5 ( if you are using your campus wifi or have any other service-provider). For other matches, you have to take Youtube TV/Fubo TV/Sling blue ( I saw online that EPL is available back on Sling Blue but not 100 % sure) . Over the years I found Sling Blue very reliable and economical too for EPL.

There are United supporters clubs in most big cities. You could probably find them on facebook. The one here in Los Angeles meets up at a pub for nearly all the matches. The people in that supporters club will also know the best way to view the matches online as well. Good luck.
Are there any in Bay Area specifically in Newark/Fremont ?

Reactions: Cheimoon

Lj82

Thanks very much everyone. Think a combination of YouTube TV and Peacock is the way to go then

Really appreciate the advice.

You too, mate. Long time! Thanks for the info.

Peace and political science - I've been working on peacebuilding and in conflict affected places for over 10 years now so hoping to turn my experience towards something good in academia. Also hoping to make the most of 5 years in the US that conveniently ends with the US hosting a world cup in 2026. Hopefully I'll celebrate by going to some of the matches as Dr. Choccy!

Cool! I love my time studying in the US. Just so unfortunate that I had return to Singapore 6 months early due to COVID. I have to say watching UTD games in US pacific time zone is a lot easier than in Singapore. I usually stream matches at the back of lecture rooms :lol:

LeeC81

I personally have a AT&T streaming subscription for NBCSN and then an additional subscription to Peacock, and they give me all the United PL games. For the CL games you will need access to Paramount + which is $5.99 a month.

If you want other leagues ESPN+ is $6.99 a month and give you German, Spanish and Italian leagues, International games including the England game, as well as FA Cup, and League Cup games.

One of the bonuses of the tv contracts here is you will be able to watch every game one way or another, although the prices start to add up now they are creating so many different streaming services.

There are of course other ways to stream too if you dont manage to get set up in time as you arrive so close to season kick off. Feel free to DM me if you want more info.

A good resource for local bars and fan groups is: https://manutdusa.com/usa-chapters/

HaliRed

Your best value for money, get a VPN service (I use PIA - $4/mth) and connect to a Canadian hub.

Then get DAZN for $20/mth.

You get every single Premier League, Champions League, Europa League and Serie A game, along with every single NFL game.

It's even cheaper if you buy it for 12mths.

Wing Attack Plan R

As someone mentioned, as you are arriving on kick-off day, best would be to use Youtube TV trial or FuboTV trial as the first match is not on Peacock.After that, if you are getting xfinity cable peacock is free otherwise you have to pay $5 ( if you are using your campus wifi or have any other service-provider). For other matches, you have to take Youtube TV/Fubo TV/Sling blue ( I saw online that EPL is available back on Sling Blue but not 100 % sure) . Over the years I found Sling Blue very reliable and economical too for EPL.

Are there any in Bay Area specifically in Newark/Fremont ?
Not sure about Fremont but Bay Area yes: https://www.facebook.com/Manchester-United-Fans-of-San-Francisco-1588546054702412

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Your best value for money, get a VPN service (I use PIA - $4/mth) and connect to a Canadian hub.

You get every single Premier League, Champions League, Europa League and Serie A game, along with every single NFL game.

True, $150 a year for all that is a pretty sweet deal.

San Diego Red

I can confirm this! And, in fact, I have been able to have a pint or two at 4:30am, since I knew the owner of the pub.
Yup here in San Diego there are a few bars that will open at 5am but it's usually for big games not Newcastle vs City. The breakfast is usually pretty good to. No beer until 6am to.

Wing Attack Plan R

That would be The Greyhound Bar in Highland Park. Went there with a buddy who is from Tottenham to watch United play them. Unbeknownst to me, a group of Los Angeles reds showed up, about 12 people, and they sang at the top of their lungs all match long and the Spurs fans were about to lose their minds. Some older dudes wanted to fight, even. Ha.

Wing Attack Plan R

Does DAZN change its menu once you've linked to the Canadian hub? I'm looking at it here in the US and it does not mention any games, only boxing and documentaries about footy luminaries.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
Fubotv for 64.99 and 5.99 for peacock, per month. You are covered for EPl, La Liga and CL - all 4ks, HDs.

This is what's available legally .
No cable required, available to stream over phone, iPad or TV .

There might be Streams out there for free.
Can you watch Fubotv in english commentary? When i had it, I was only able to hear spanish commentators.

HaliRed

Does DAZN change its menu once you've linked to the Canadian hub? I'm looking at it here in the US and it does not mention any games, only boxing and documentaries about footy luminaries.
It does...when I travel to the US and don't VPN to Canada, I believe it only shows Boxing and other meaningless programming. Vastly different menu in Canada due to distribution rights.