An Evening with Roy Keane

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

:lol: He genuinely cracks me up.

Just watched a few old videos of him. Its easy to forget how much of a humungous twat he was on the pitch. Dangerous tackles, punches, vitriol, stamps, the full works.

What I'd give to have a player with his drive in midfield for us now though.

Last edited:

Whiteside's Onside

In the very top tier of United greats.

He got what Manchester United was about more than anybody.

Should be spoken in the highest of terms pure reverence.

Never boring and in a football world of people working angles and talking absolute nonsense no such thing from the great man.

Highbury 05 was the icing on the cake every red owes him a huge debt

Whiteside's Onside

Forgot to also add the great story that he turned up at Tom cleverleys house to have a word with him about leaking story's to the press knocked the door nobody answered.

Can just picture him smashing the door down a little tom hiding under the kitchen table till Keane leaves.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Just watched a few old videos of him. Its easy to forget how much of a humungous twat he was on the pitch. Dangerous tackles, punches, vitriol, stamps, the full works.

Don't you guys have enough twats in that Spurs team to stamp and reckless dive/tackle on people?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't you guys have enough twats in that Spurs team to stamp and reckless dive/tackle on people?
Don't we have one player who persistently stamped, fought, put in reckless challenges? No we don't.

Do we have anyone with Keane's incredible desire and intense urge to win, which is what I was actually referring to? Most certainly not

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.

Would he survive in todays climate?
You barely make contact and your off these days.

John Keiler

Forgot to also add the great story that he turned up at Tom cleverleys house to have a word with him about leaking story's to the press knocked the door nobody answered.

Can just picture him smashing the door down a little tom hiding under the kitchen table till Keane leaves.
His 'little chat' with Bosnich after the latter turning up late was quite good too.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Just back from his Cork event,Good fun and Roy was in good form,still has the Cork accent too :cool:

Few things that were discussed from the event for anyone that's interested..

Doesn't think Joe Hart is that good and "not as good as he makes himself out to be" :D

Came close to taking the Celtic managers job but had just signed up for the Ireland role,wanted to repay the faith shown in him by Martin O'Neil,very happy with the Ireland job and had great things to say about O'Neil as a manager also.

Had good words for the Ireland players Mark Walters,Seamus Coleman and David Myler in particular,saying they try really hard for Ireland and are enjoying it.If hes not happy with them in training they take the criticism on board and respond.

Loved playing for Utd and liked working with Fergie and Clough.

Weary of Mourinho, said we should be doing a lot better in the league points wise and shouldnt be 17 points behind with the players we have and money spent.

Took the piss out of liverpool losing to Wolves in the cup with the team they sent out because they had a league match a few days later.

Great UTD players he enjoyed playing with Robbo, Cantona, Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes and also highlighted Ince as a great player for Utd who's a bit under rated by Utd fans as he joined liverpool.

Talked about his time at Sunderland as a manger and had good people there.

Felt he didnt get the break of the ball with results at Ipswich ,too many draws,conceding injury in time and that he was also asking his staff for their opinions on certain players in the transfer market when he should have went with his gut instinct ie Ian Harte.

Rates Souness as a pundit but doesn't really listen to any of the others and Fancies Real for the champions league.

Andy Jones

Supports
SUNDERLAND
Loved Keane as a player except when he was playing us, always seemed to be unbeatable on Wearside. Have to say that his time as boss up here was the best couple of years I've witnessed in over 50 years following Sunderland too. It'll never happen whilst Short is still part of the club but I'd take him back tomorrow especially when you consider his attitude and demeanor to what we're currently getting with Moyes.

A few funnies;

Dwight Yorke texted a message of commiserations to Keane after the latter’s departure from Sunderland, but was shocked by the reply he received.

Yorke said: “The rumours of his departure had been flying around for a while, but when it happened it was still a surprise.

“So I sent him a text saying how sorry I was how things had turned out, but thanking him for the chance at Sunderland and wishing him all the best for the future.

Ten minutes later, I got my reply: ‘

"Go feck yourself.’”
Yorke also confirmed the story of how Keane kung-fu kicked a dressing room tactics board during an explosive Sunderland half-time row with the Black Cats 1-0 down to Northampton in a Carling Cup tie.

"He asked our kit manager if he can get the tactics board. The board goes up. And Keano takes a running jump and smashes it with a kung-fu kick.

"Then the captain, Dean Whitehead, is next. 'Captain? Captain? Some f***ing captain you are,' he rags, slapping Dean about the head in the process before turning on us all. 'I can't trust any of you.'"
Roy Keane has revealed he didn't sign Robbie Savage when he was Sunderland manager because the midfielder's voicemail message was 'Hi, it's Robbie - whazzup!'.

Savage at the time was struggling for playing time at Blackburn and Keane wanted to bring him to the Stadium of Light in a bid to boost his side's performance.

But Savage didn't answer Keane's call and the Irishman changed his mind when he heard the player's voicemail, based on the catchphrase from the Budweiser advert in the early 2000s.

In his new autobiography The Second Half, Keane explains: 'I rang Mark Hughes. Robbie [Savage] wasn’t in the Blackburn team and I asked Mark if we could try to arrange a deal.

'Sparky said, "Yeah, yeah he's lost his way here but he could still do a job for you."

'Robbie's legs were going a bit but I thought he might come up to us [at Sunderland] with his long hair, and give us a lift – the way Yorkie [Dwight Yorke] had, a big personality in the dressing room.

'Sparky gave me permission to give him a call. So I got Robbie's mobile number and rang him.

'It went to his voicemail, "Hi it’s Robbie – whazzup!" like the Budweiser ad.

'I never called him back. I thought: "I can’t be f***ing signing that.”’

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Loved Keane as a player except when he was playing us, always seemed to be unbeatable on Wearside. Have to say that his time as boss up here was the best couple of years I've witnessed in over 50 years following Sunderland too. It'll never happen whilst Short is still part of the club but I'd take him back tomorrow especially when you consider his attitude and demeanor to what we're currently getting with Moyes.

A few funnies;
:lol::lol: I'd never heard the tactics board story before. That's fecking brilliant!

arthurka

I know a player who played under him at Ipswich.

He had a massive meltdown there. They were loosing a game to a worse team at halftime, where Keano went fully mental at the team.
Yelling and acting like a complete basket case having a proper go at a young player there. The captain stepped in and protected the player and told him to calm down. Keano made a new rule there and then players could't look at him and the captain couldn't talk or look at him..
He reigned with terror and threats and players were scared shitless of him. Needless to say he got the sack couple of weeks later.

Dobbs

I know a player who played under him at Ipswich.

He had a massive meltdown there. They were loosing a game to a worse team at halftime, where Keano went fully mental at the team.
Yelling and acting like a complete basket case having a proper go at a young player there. The captain stepped in and protected the player and told him to calm down. Keano made a new rule there and then players could't look at him and the captain couldn't talk or look at him..
He reigned with terror and threats and players were scared shitless of him. Needless to say he got the sack couple of weeks later.
Come on does that sound remotely true to you?

Andy Jones

Supports
SUNDERLAND
Yes it does. My mate was in that room.
Not saying you're lying here but there was a similar rumor going around not long after the incident with the tactics board that I posted earlier whilst he was at SAFC that I'm leaning towards it becoming a bit of a myth.

arthurka

Not saying you're lying here but there was a similar rumor going around not long after the incident with the tactics board that I posted earlier whilst he was at SAFC that I'm leaning towards it becoming a bit of a myth.
No one has to believe anything they dont want to.

Devil81

The guy has Arsenal summed up to a tee!!

Arsenal will never win feck all under Wenger.