Andy Cole - premier league hall of famer

redshaw

Great player that won the lot.

He came here and evolved as a player adding a lot to his game to help us.

Bobski

Great player, ended up an excellent all round striker and the template for how I judge a lot of forwards. Great body shape for the role, quick, brave, agile and super quick feet. Played for the team first and was much more creative than most people remember, plus he has a special range of goals, headers, volleys, overhead kicks, dribbles, chips, scored every goal, and his movement was incredible. Missed chances but was always a huge threat.

On another note Giggs still being absent from this is ludicrous. What is the justification? Moral reasons when you have a number of other known adulterers in there?

whitbyviking

Cole was from an era of peak transfers, didn't seem to be any sagas and a lot of them were an unexpected surprise. I had a paper round and used to love reading the transfer news on the morning back pages.

CallyRed

Cole was from an era of peak transfers, didn't seem to be any sagas and a lot of them were an unexpected surprise. I had a paper round and used to love reading the transfer news on the morning back pages.
Remember coming home from school and hearing about the Cole transfer, before the days of transfer windows, was a great day.
Though the best moment was Kevin Keegan trying to convince the Newcastle fans they got the better deal with Keith Gillespie arriving.

jamesblonde

Shearer was clearly better. He could score such a variety of goals, big game player for England, and also played a good chunk of his team at a middling -barring a season or two- Newcastle. Cole was great and I'm a massive fan, but having Shearer at United in the 90s would've taken us to another level.
Totally. Cole was better than what we had before, but not top class. We could have won in Europe a couple more times with Shearer. It was clear when Ruud came what a top striker did to a team - pity we were on our way downhiill when he arrived.

UTD_Since_1978

EPL HOF, ok, 187 goals is impressive.

Had an awesome season at Newcastle being joining Man Utd.

But for me personally, he will go down as one of my least fave UTD players due to the fact he failed time & time again to score in the important games (apart from the Spurs 99 game which helped win the treble).

Cup QFs, SFs & Finals he was found wanting, thankfully football is a team game so others had to step up to the plate to help UTD win trophies.

94-95 final game of the season had to beat WHU, Cantona was banned, McClair managed to score whilst Cole failed, enough said.

black country red

But for me personally, he will go down as one of my least fave UTD players due to the fact he failed time & time again to score in the important games (apart from the Spurs 99 game which helped win the treble).

Cup QFs, SFs & Finals he was found wanting, thankfully football is a team game so others had to step up to the plate to help UTD win trophies.

94-95 final game of the season had to beat WHU, Cantona was banned, McClair managed to score whilst Cole failed, enough said.
He scored in the champions league semi final 1999

Rasmus_9

He scored two of the most monumental goals in our history! Guaranteed us a place in the final in 99 and won us the league against Spurs too

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Goal against Blackburn is my favourite one. Dribble with his right and placed shot with his left. :drool:

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Cup QFs, SFs & Finals he was found wanting,
thankfully football is a team game so others had to step up to the plate to help UTD win trophies.

Bullshit. He scored in Turin to send us to the final. Full speed ahead Barcelona.

Jev

Didn’t know he got 34 Premier League goals in one season (42 games but still) with no penalties. That’s insane.

To those who watched him back then, would you say he had a slightly underwhelming career after that start? I assume he must have been one of the highest-rated young strikers ever after that season?

next_number_seven

Didn’t know he got 34 Premier League goals in one season (42 games but still) with no penalties. That’s insane.

To those who watched him back then, would you say he had a slightly underwhelming career after that start? I assume he must have been one of the highest-rated young strikers ever after that season?
I remember finding him frustrating missing chances.
It's difficult to judge him properly because the hard part is getting the chances.

youngrell

He became a much better, all round payer after that. At Newcastle he was a scoring machine, had a very good partnership with Beardsely but scoring was his sole purpose. Early days at United were tough for him but once he grew into the role he was fantastic.

Patchbeard

I remember finding him frustrating missing chances.
It's difficult to judge him properly because the hard part is getting the chances.
Yeah not being old enough to remember him live at Newcastle my memory of him at Utd was being lively but missing as much as he scored, and then wondering how on earth he scored 34 in a season for Newcastle! Then the season with Yorke elevated my opinion of him due to how creative he was that season.

Rewatching any highlights of him now he was better technically than I realised as a youngster.