Andy Cole's: united cannot offer players guaranteed success in comparison to their rivals

Giggsyking

Speaking to the Daily Mirror, Cole said that United's wait for a Premier League title means they cannot offer players guaranteed success in comparison to their rivals.
"To get these guys to come, Haaland for instance, you've got to entice them with something," he said. "You've got to entice them with the possibility of winning silverware or being a year away from it.
"If you're playing and have the option of all these clubs, where would United really figure at this moment in time? Even though I love United, I don't think the club now can ride on its name alone, especially when you're trying to bring these players in."
He continued: "It's not like when I signed for United. We have to be brutally honest, back then everybody wanted to go there. We're talking 2021 now. Does everyone want to go to United now? I'm not quite sure everyone wants to now.
"Football's such a short career now and everybody wants to win. People talk about money, but top players don't think about that, they think about winning things. That's ultimately what it's about, because you'll be judged on what you win by the time your career finishes.
"You've got to be a great salesman now, to be able to sell these players the football club, knowing you can't guarantee winning the league next season, particularly if City win it by 20 points."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ester-united-erling-haaland-transfer-19943859

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well obviously if you were looking for guaranteed success then City is where you'd go.

But Liverpool couldn't offer guaranteed success either, it didn't stop them from building a PL & CL winning team. And we can offer more money than they could. It is what it is.

It's not like Ferguson was constantly signing Haaland-type players either.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Well obviously if you were looking for guaranteed success then City is where you'd go.

But Liverpool couldn't offer guaranteed success either, it didn't stop them from building a PL & CL winning team. And we can offer more money than they could. It is what it is.

Exactly, I think only a handful of clubs can offer that.

Arguably Barca and Real can't even offer that at the moment.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Even City pre-Pep were pretty inconsistent when it came to winning trophies and they still haven't won the CL, and Pep won't be there forever. There's no guaranteed success in the PL which is why Cole's statement is so bizarre. Only in league's where there is an exceptionally dominant team (Bayern, PSG, Juve) do you get guaranteed success, really.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Even City pre-Pep were pretty inconsistent when it came to winning trophies and they still haven't won the CL, and Pep won't be there forever. There's no guaranteed success in the PL which is why Cole's statement is so bizarre. Only in league's where there is an exceptionally dominant team (Bayern, PSG, Juve) do you get guaranteed success, really.
It's almost a guarantee City will pick up a trophy every season now. When was the last time they didn't?

Barcelona and Real have had 1 bad season, again when was the last time neither of them won a trophy?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't disagree with him but it still hurts to hear it.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Bizarre statement, same when fans make such statements.
City can only sign 20-25 players, it’s not like they are seriously interested in every good player.
Also I must have been in hibernation when 1-2 decades ago under SAF we signed Zidane, Batistuta, Shearer, David Villa and lots of other top players.
Obviously it can matter in some cases like Thiago not being prepared to wait until winning few more trophies so joined high flying Liverpool or RvP finally wanting to win the Premier League so joined United under SAF, but in most cases money matters and we (in some cases unfortunately) still pay one of the highest wages - which in return lowers our chances to get rid of certain players for a good fee.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'd much rather invest in a player like Bruno who creates his own success and lifts the team rather than a prima donna that wants everything built for him.

manc exile

Supports
City
It's almost a guarantee City will pick up a trophy every season now. When was the last time they didn't?

Barcelona and Real have had 1 bad season, again when was the last time neither of them won a trophy?
16/17

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
City the dominant force in England. Similar to us in the 1990’s. Can all change quickly of course.

cyberman

And 8 months ago nobody could turn down Liverpool when they signed Thiago.
Its all nonsense. Theres many factors in a move. If Haaland is offered the chance to be the face of United who look to be on the way up, thats a huge selling point.
City are still a tiny club.

DoomSlayer

Cole is right in saying that. The only thing our name brings these days is that other clubs and agents know we have no clue how to manage negotiations, or how to spend our money wisely and efficiently.

Our recruitment struggles and our inability to sell our own players when their value is still high enough is one of the major factors in our lack of proper development.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He states the obvious but it's not helping our case if even 'our' people are saying this to the media. Hardly constructive which a criticism can be, too.

SwedishFish

Compared to what rivals?

Manchester City?

Pretty obvious to see that we are in a better place now than we've been in for a long time.

DoomSlayer

Compared to what rivals?

Manchester City?

Pretty obvious to see that we are in a better place now than we've been in for a long time.
How so? We are still pretty much in a battle for top 4. Considering our recent form, we definitely should be careful about the rest of the season, as it can still go horribly wrong.

SwedishFish

How so? We are still pretty much in a battle for top 4. Considering our recent form, we definitely should be careful about the rest of the season, as it can still go horribly wrong.
Points tally for starters. We're winning more games, playing better football, and yes top 4 is not by any means done and dusted but we've still got a 6 point cushion to dropping out of that race at this stage of the season.

DoomSlayer

Points tally for starters. We're winning more games, playing better football, and yes top 4 is not by any means done and dusted but we've still got a 6 point cushion to dropping out of that race at this stage of the season.
We are doing a bit better, but like I said, our form recently is definitely something to worry about if it continues. Our top 4 finish is by no means a guarantee and I'd also like to add that injuries seem to have started piling up again, which further puts doubt into our position.

ReddBalls

Bizarre line of thinking, but sadly also everything that has been wrong with the club (and some fans) after Fergie.You don't want players that think they will win titles because they play for the club. You want players that thinks the club will win titles because they play there. Bruno, the academy players and some of the other recent acquisitions seems to be of the latter type, and that hopefully signals a change. Hopefully, Haaland is of the same breed as well.

kkengvib

If you think about it even under Mourinho and LVG we won trophies, as bad as our league form was.
We can argue that we've progressed as a team under Ole, but we don't really look like we're on the cusp of winning silverware yet, do we?
If we were finishing within a few points of winning the league, then yeah we'd look like a good prospect to players. We're miles behind city at the moment so buying big name stars wanting to win trophies right away is going to be a big ask.
We cannot revert to unambitious players wanting a payday. A Bruno type signing looks most probable (not considered world class at the time of signing but has the right attitude and desire to win)

Massive Spanner

Yeah but I didn't say that did I? I said pre-Pep it certainly wasn't and he won't be there forever.

Barca and Real aren't quite guaranteed, it depends on who is more dominant at the time between the two. it's not as nailed on as Bayern, Juve, or PSG. They also both arguably have their worst team's in a very long, long time right now.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah but I didn't say that did I? I said pre-Pep it certainly wasn't and he won't be there forever.

Barca and Real aren't quite guaranteed, it depends on who is more dominant at the time between the two. it's not as nailed on as Bayern, Juve, or PSG. They also both arguably have their worst team's in a very long, long time right now.
You said there was no guaranteed success in the premier league, City at this moment in time unfortunately is basically a guarantee of success.

GoldTrafford99

Maguire

Fernandes

Sanchez

All turned down Man City to sign for United in the past few years...

Andy Cole, as someone said in another thread, is an ex-pro giving pub-like opinions. They mean nothing.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Well that made sense when Ole took over, but we're improving season by season so I guess we've become more attractive for players recently.

It sounds like only City and Liverpool are winning everything from now on. Although City look strong favorites for the league, they can be beaten in Cups.

I'm more worried about us playing the hardball and finishing with empty hands, rather than Haaland not wanting to come here.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He's got a point, broadly speaking.

We're far from the most attractive option in the PL right now.

We've not won the league in almost 10 years, have made next to no impression in the CL and don't have a manager with the track record/pull to top players in the way that all of City or Liverpool do - even Chelsea and Spurs.

On top of that, the only top player capable of attracting players who doesn't have a huge question mark over their future is Bruno.

I really hope we don't waste our time solely on chasing those who will be on every clubs' radar, and are being a little bit more street-smart in our approach.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Maguire

Fernandes

Sanchez

All turned down Man City to sign for United in the past few years...

Andy Cole, as someone said in another thread, is an ex-pro giving pub-like opinions. They mean nothing.
Not sure Fernandes did?

Neither Sanchez or Maguire really chose us over City, more that City simply weren't willing to match our fees.

Only player who arguably did opt for us over City recently was Fred.

Lewnited

It's a little Captain Obvious, but I do agree with what Cole's said here.

I think the problem with us at the moment is that we don't really look like we're close to winning anything either. City are the dominant force, but as an outsider you'd back Liverpool to be back fighting for major honours within the next season or so given their recent history. Even I as a fan am not sure I'd have the same faith in us.

Also, from the little tidbits you hear about United from ex managers, players, pundits etc, I'm not necessarily sure we give the impression to the rest of the footballing world that we're serious about getting back to the top. On the field we're doing better than we were in Mourinho's last season, but I think things like our early Champions League exit hurt our image a fair bit. On balance, we haven't really moved much further forward (or backwards) since 2014/15, but we look to at least be hitting an upward trend in the last 3 years.

Massive Spanner

You said there was no guaranteed success in the premier league, City at this moment in time unfortunately is basically a guarantee of success.
I mean, you're clearly just being pedantic for the sake of it, I specified explicitly in my post that their success revolved around Pep who won't be here forever.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Really hate it when ex players come out with such nonsense.

We all know a lot of players are dense as sh!te, but it's upsetting to see it proven.

What the heck does he think of every other club in England bar City if he thinks we're a crap team to join.

Jinn

It says something of a young players mentality of only wanting to join a club which can guarantee trophies. Can a club guarantee trophies though? I suppose you could make a case for certain clubs.

If I was in a position like this(oh how I wish) , it would be more attractive to join a club which would allow me to elevate it and cement a legendary status through winning trophies. Similar to those Liverpool players who joined just before they started winning things.

I was born in the 70's, I suppose I have a different perspective.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Its the truth at the moment but it can change

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Cole is right in saying that. The only thing our name brings these days is that other clubs and agents know we have no clue how to manage negotiations, or how to spend our money wisely and efficiently.

Our recruitment struggles and our inability to sell our own players when their value is still high enough is one of the major factors in our lack of proper development.

We're not a selling club. Getting a high transfer fee is never a priority.

DoomSlayer

We're not a selling club. Getting a high transfer fee is never a priority.
I'm not talking about selling our best players. It's more about making the mistake of overpaying and then not being able to shift those that become surplus to requirements.

RedDevilRoshi

The only teams that could offer a player guaranteed success and winners medals every season are teams that play in a less competitive league like Bayern Munich or PSG.

It’s nice to see an ex-player not tow the usual propaganda & garbage. I assume he & Ole mustn’t be close.
have you actually read the article? Why would you assume he and Ole aren’t close?

As per the other Cole thread, this isn't a revelation, players want trophies - no shit sherlock?

it’s clearly a slow news day.

this is in now way Cole criticising the manager.