Angel Gomes Watch

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lads, a player that is no doubt Championship level in ability,
What a weird comment. A first choice central midfielder playing for Lille who finished 5th (1 point off Europa League football) is a little bit better than "Championship level in ability".

crossy1686

career ending
What a weird comment. A first choice central midfielder playing for Lille who finished 5th (1 point off Europa League football) is a little bit better than "Championship level in ability".
Finishing 5th in France is nothing to shout about, who finished 5th in Portugal, Spain and Germany? The French league isn't anywhere near a top league.

In Rainbows

Finishing 5th in France is nothing to shout about, who finished 5th in Portugal, Spain and Germany? The French league isn't anywhere near a top league.
The French League is a top 5 league. Championship level is not. Portugal is not.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Good to see him doing well but he needs a move to a lower premier league club before we think about going back in for him. Because of his frame we just don't know how he would adjust to the physicality of playing in the premier league.

izec

Good to see him doing well but he needs a move to a lower premier league club before we think about going back in for him. Because of his frame we just don't know how he would adjust to the physicality of playing in the premier league.
He needs to move to a team that keeps the ball, and not a counter attacking side with a lot of battles in midfield, where his talent would be wasted to off the ball stuff. He would have no issue playing for City in the PL for example. I dont think he would be a good option for us right now.

georgipep

He needs to move to a team that keeps the ball, and not a counter attacking side with a lot of battles in midfield, where his talent would be wasted to off the ball stuff. He would have no issue playing for City in the PL for example. I dont think he would be a good option for us right now.
If you think City midfielders are not absolutely world class in "off the ball stuff" then I suggest you switch to a simpler sport.

izec

If you think City midfielders are not absolutely world class in "off the ball stuff" then I suggest you switch to a simpler sport.
They are just a well drilled unit. Most City players look better there than for their NTs. Gomes would boss it in Citys midfield, because the system would allow him to fit in without an issue. His lack of physicality would not be an issue. He is not a world class athlete and he does not need to be it, that is my point. However, playing for a low block team not interested in keeping the ball would make him look worse than he is, as he would need to do most of the work in defending, and he is a ball player that needs that system around him. It is quite straightforward.

georgipep

They are just a well drilled unit. Most City players look better there than for their NTs. Gomes would boss it in Citys midfield, because the system would allow him to fit in without an issue. His lack of physicality would not be an issue. He is not a world class athlete and he does not need to be it, that is my point. However, playing for a low block team not interested in keeping the ball would make him look worse than he is, as he would need to do most of the work in defending, and he is a ball player that needs that system around him. It is quite straightforward.
I suggest you read a bit of football analysis from sources different from Sky Sports. Guardiola himself has switched to going after players who are physically prepared for the gruelling demands of his system, mostly in "off the ball stuff".

And that's very visible from City's transfer dealings in the last 2 years.

izec

I suggest you read a bit of football analysis from sources different from Sky Sports. Guardiola himself has switched to going after players who are physically prepared for the gruelling demands of his system, mostly in "off the ball stuff".

And that's very visible from City's transfer dealings in the last 2 years.
Like Haaland and Grealish? They needed to adapt.

Pep has a good mix and you dont need to be physically strong if you are prepared to run

georgipep

Like Haaland and Grealish? They needed to adapt.

Pep has a good mix and you dont need to be physically strong if you are prepared to run
Like Ake, Akanji, Philips, Alvarez, Rodri, and yes, Haaland and Grealish. Notice how much Grealish tracks back, marks his opponent and presses. Check Doku (latest transfer) and how he plays as a winger.

Not trying to be smart or anything, just facts. Pep has switched from signing the technicians who lack physicality to players who have high level of technical ability, combined with physical abilities to perform in the PL and in his system

Borninthe80ts

The assist for me showed how he can impact the game in transition from deep. Gets it from the back line, ball goes wide. He gets up after being fouled, times his run and a perfectly timed ball of his left foot into the attackers path. Hope he keeps it up.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If he did that then he’d immediately cost over £100m.

Archer

Southgate said in his press conference that he considered call up Angel to senior national squad, but Angel is more of double pivot player, they need someone who could play single pivot.

Thiagoal

Looking really classy! Some of those passes were Scholes like! Would love it if we had a player that could pass the ball forward through the lines!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He was awful last week, soft attempt at a tackle leading up to Reims second goal,

If people think Rashford strolls around the pitch putting in minimal effort then God forbid what they would think of Gomes and his attempts at tracking back :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
He's obviously decent and will have a decent career but this thread only proves for once United and Ole were right not to start him when he wanted.

He wasn't ready to play regular for United at the time and as he wanted to play regular football leaving was the right thing for the club and himself.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's obviously decent and will have a decent career but this thread only proves for once United and Ole were right not to start him when he wanted.

He wasn't ready to play regular for United at the time and as he wanted to play regular football leaving was the right thing for the club and himself.
Meanwhile we’re still starting Scott….

Remember the geese

I'd sign him back. We could then rotate him and Mainoo for the deep lying playmaker role. We should also sign a Casemiro replacement and pair either of Gomes/Mainoo with him.

Champ

Is still a thing? Has anyone actually watched him?
He's lazy, good on the ball and comes alive when he has it, his shot weekend just gone shows that, but he doesn't track back, jogs around the pitch, heck he didn't even react to his keepers second penalty save, his striker teammate actually ran past him to clear the rebound as Gomes didn't even move.
I said it before, but if people think Rashford is lazy then just wait until you watch Gomes.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Is still a thing? Has anyone actually watched him?
He's lazy, good on the ball and comes alive when he has it, his shot weekend just gone shows that, but he doesn't track back, jogs around the pitch, heck he didn't even react to his keepers second penalty save, his striker teammate actually ran past him to clear the rebound as Gomes didn't even move.
I said it before, but if people think Rashford is lazy then just wait until you watch Gomes.
You seem to have major issues with Gomes, Mainoo and Amad.

Champ

You seem to have major issues with Gomes, Mainoo and Amad.
How so? Pretty sure I've been effusive in my praise of Mainoo whilst being realistic to know he's a young player and not the savior people are clamouring him to be.
Gomes is a steady player, nothing special and United really need to be looking a few levels above this guy. No issues with him, other then feeling he isn't good enough for what United need.

flameinthesun

Very rarely do we actually regret letting youth players go no matter how talented, off the top of my head maybe only Pogba in recent memory.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Very rarely do we actually regret letting youth players go no matter how talented, off the top of my head maybe only Pogba in recent memory.
Pogba is basically the only one, and even there we managed to bring him back at his "peak".

After that you're looking at the likes of Michael Keane and Danny Welbeck who are very much in the "could have done a job" category.

We get one highlight reel of Gomes every two or three months (usually of him spraying a couple of nice passes under little pressure, against mid-table Ligue 1 sides or youth internationals) and every time he's made out to be the second coming of Scholes.