Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

edcunited1878

Adama says he’s never lifted a weight in his life, that’s not really a bodybuilding habit.
So apparently he does ridiculous amounts of weight resistant training. It seems to be a high, high intense combination of Pilates-like movements, dynamic stretching, and weight bearing movements. Plus his diet is on point as well.

But as said above, his muscular genetics and frame allows him to gain mass this way. It's probably not the same for Gomes. You cannot get that big and have that few body fat without some type of weight training/resistance.

JohnnyLaw

What you're seeing is four or five years of three-to-five days a week consistent bodybuilding training and strict diet. A person can add around 12 lbs of muscle per year, and 6-8 lbs at the low end. Since Traore has generous muscular genetics, he's able to add 12 lbs a year. In a four year period that's 48 lbs pure muscle. He's reaching his natural peak. The point being, the picture above isn't an indication of larger skeletal frame development. It's an indication that his existing frame has been packed to its potential with progressive muscle gain.

Using Adama as an example is not normative since most don't share his bodybuilding habits or his peak genetics.
Lo and behold mate, it wasn’t an entirely serious post.
Gomes is the same height as Scholes, he can add muscle if he wants to.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Thought it was a deep fake when I first saw it. T.B Joshua! Lad must have been desperate.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Adama says he’s never lifted a weight in his life, that’s not really a bodybuilding habit.
hahahaha yeah apparently he just woke up and rolled out of bed looking like that! amazing isn't it.

pacifictheme

Religious madness aside, he has again been featured on the clubs instagram. Either we are very confident or trying to show him we see him as an important player in the future.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Surely he's signed a new contract and we're just waiting for no reason to announce it right?

The social media team features him more than some of the starting 11 recently...

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I believe you are arguing with yourself here.
Andreas has probably played as a number 10 once, possibly twice at a push?!
Remind me again, how many apps does Gomes have this season?
My right wingers were not listed in terms of preferability, merely in terms of whose been used there, which they all have and more than once or twice, (unlike Andreas at number 10, and yes Dalot has played there under Ole multiple times)
:confused:

Andreas has played at #10 more than any other position this season, and he's been comfortably better than Lingard and Mata in that position. I looked at the stats around January and at the time we averaged double the points per game when he played there compared to when he didn't play at all or was played in central midfield (where he was terrible). That was despite actually having the slightly harder fixture list in the games that he played #10.

He also outperformed Mata at right wing in the first half of the season, although obviously Mata finally kicked into form in the last month or two as he worked well with Bruno.

Ekeke

:confused:

Andreas has played at #10 more than any other position this season, and he's been comfortably better than Lingard and Mata in that position. I looked at the stats around January and at the time we averaged double the points per game when he played there compared to when he didn't play at all or was played in central midfield (where he was terrible). That was despite actually having the slightly harder fixture list in the games that he played #10.

He also outperformed Mata at right wing in the first half of the season, although obviously Mata finally kicked into form in the last month or two as he worked well with Bruno.
Completely agree with this. Andreas did fine, better than Mata and Lingard... But I'd have taken Gomes getting chances too

Glorio

Completely agree with this. Andreas did fine, better than Mata and Lingard... But I'd have taken Gomes getting chances too
Andreas did fine? This has more to do with our standards that anything else I suppose. He may have performed marginally better than an extremely poorly performing Lingard, but oh my, he was bad.

In terms of decision making, Pereira's been comically horrendous (it was actually something of light relief when watching infuriating games), and the time he took to make up his mind, only to end up with the worst possible choice, and then even mess that up in most cases was probably even more ridiculous.

Bless him though, can't really fault his effort, it just seems he's just not developed into that good a player considering how badly he's struggled on loan as well.

At one point this season he had played more than every other outfield player bar 1 I think, so this can't be down to game time.

Unless Angel absolutely stunk up the place in training, it's hard to understand why he didn't play more

Son

Before this season it would have been.

If he does leave we will hugely regret this. I think he will go to the top of the game.
I like Gomes as a footballer but I don’t think we’ve seen any evidence he will go to the very top of the game.

Personally I think he’s weak mentally and physically. He hasn’t got the eye of the tiger like Rashford for example or the sheer power of Martial.

A player like Jadon Sancho forget it.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I like Gomes as a footballer but I don’t think we’ve seen any evidence he will go to the very top of the game.

Personally I think he’s weak mentally and physically. He hasn’t got the eye of the tiger like Rashford for example or the sheer power of Martial.

Watch it! Angel's Army will be after your head soon.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

You're basing his mental strength based on what?

Nobody has seen enough of his game to be able make any judgement on him unless they're part of the coaching staff.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I've said this before, probably in this thread, but I think Gomes' lack of minutes is not just down to his lack of physicality. I believe Ole has kept him out of the side mostly due to the importance of the #10 role and how dysfunctional the team has been most of the season.

Had we been in stronger positions during matches, I think he may have been given quite a few more minutes towards the end of games. However, throwing him in to the team during a very difficult period and expecting him to control the game could have had a detrimental effect on him with regards to confidence and development.

It sounds contradictory but I think with Bruno now here and Pogba back fit, we may see Ole be happier to slot Gomes in as a late sub for one of them if we have more control and are comfortably leading. Not only will there be less pressure but we will have on those guys there to guide him along too.

Asking him to step into the first team earlier and be the main man would have been too much IMO.
I agree with this one. It's pretty much similar to Pogba's case. At that time, we had some tough period that we needed to called back Scholes. If we threw Pogba in those time and expect him to save us, it's just wrong.

When we threw Macheda in an important game 08/09, we already had solid midfield, world class attackers & the best defense. The weight wasn't carried by one teenager alone.

Juve was able to play in Juventus at 19 because Juve had the best defense in the league, solid midfield & top attackers who can score goals. And beside, Juve was dominating the league easily.

We are currently not in the situation where we can just throw away a Gomes and expect him to turn things around. What Ole is trying to do now is slowly introducing them into first team. I'm sure if Gomes signs a new contract, he'll get more games time next season than what he gets this season since I can tell that Ole is probably going to sell Lingard next season and Gomes is probably likely going to take his spot.

He's still 19, and for a midfielder that is still very raw, Gomes shouldn't be taking this in a rush situation. Beside, unlike winger like Sancho, midfielder takes longer. Just look at Foden for example.

However, at the same time, he also needs to impress the manager & improve his weakness. I watched Fabregas & Rio video recently, Fabregas mentioned in Barcelona academy, Messi was weak (physically), he trained his leg a lot and became stronger. I feel like, Gomes can try to ask suggestion from someone how to improve his game & also as a player. Messi understand how to improve himself as a player, I think Gomes needs to do similar to learn about his weakness and how to make the best out of himself and impress the manager.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Watch it! Angel's Army will be after your head soon.
What army? It's A ridiculous statement. How the feck does he know Gomes has a weak mentality? On what possible basis is he basing that guess work?

Last edited:

izec

Disgrace and unacceptable, should party and feck with hookers or kill someone while driving drunk.

Mickson

No one has anything bad to say about his mentality.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You're basing his mental strength based on what?

Nobody has seen enough of his game to be able make any judgement on him unless they're part of the coaching staff.
Probably basing it on getting injury cures from a witch doctor. Would rather put his faith in that then go through rehab and work for his fitness.

Alarm bells would be ringing if I was Ole!!

0le

Apart from your baseless opinion regarding Gomes mentality, I am not sure I understand what "eye of the tiger" refers to and I don't understand how you can imply that Martial is powerful. Martial should not even be close to being described as powerful. Players such as Zlatan, Rooney, Drogba and Lukaku you could call powerful but Martial??

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Probably basing it on getting injury cures from a witch doctor. Would rather put his faith in that then go through rehab and work for his fitness.

Alarm bells would be ringing if I was Ole!!
He said he did it for his parents, he probably didn't believe in it himself either.

He was 16 lets not forget.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

That's just bizzare