Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

Untd55

McT has been great.. Him getting a new deal has nothing to do with Gomes and his contract situation.
I find the idea of someone getting pissed at McT signing a new deal while Gomes refuses to sign one ... pretty amusing.
'Great' for his standards maybe. I think the issue is that we have a tendency of wasting some of our most talented youth players and giving chances to the ones that are far less so.

Pogba
Now, Gomes

Yet, we see Pereira, Lingard, McTominay, Chong while Solskjaer rarely played Gomes. Of course, he would consider leaving if he saw players with lesser ability getting more chances. It is exactly the same as Pogba, who saw Cleverley , Anderson and Rafael playing in midfield when he was far better.

RUCK4444

What's funny? You're happy that a talented youngster is probably leaving before we've even given him a proper chance, whilst we still have dross like Lingard & Pereira in the squad? Who god forbid, it's not impossible they might get new contracts too, with Glazernomics at play.
What makes you think we can give game time to a midget who plays pretty well in the youth sides? This is Manchester United, we still need to 'try' and win things.

Everytime he's played he's been average, same goes for Chong.

I love our youth policy as much as the next guy but Ole is trying to keep himself in a job and progress the team on all fronts. This lad is the last of my concern as a fan and I'm sure he's one of Ole's last concerns.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What makes you think we can give game time to a midget who plays pretty well in the youth sides? This is Manchester United, we still need to 'try' and win things.

Everytime he's played he's been average, same goes for Chong.

I love our youth policy as much as the next guy but Ole is trying to keep himself in a job and progress the team on all fronts. This lad is the last of my concern as a fan and I'm sure he's one of Ole's last concerns.
I get that and i'm not advocating for every youth player to given a free chance at all, but when you've got players playing as bad as Lingard & Pereira were, it's only natural to try someone else no?

Don't forget we had no Pogba & Bruno hadn't joined back then. We had a huge void in the attacking mid role. Gomes certainly couldn't have played any worse than them, so what was the real risk? Worst case scenario, he doesn't perform, but there was still the upside of him performing, and us becoming a better team as a result.

But Ole never even tried, and persisted with Lingard & Pereira who now might not even exist. Why is my question? It was a very weird decision at the time and still is.

RUCK4444

I get that and i'm not advocating for every youth player to given a free chance at all, but when you've got players playing as bad as Lingard & Pereira were, it's only natural to try someone else no?

Don't forget we had no Pogba & Bruno hadn't joined back then. We had a huge void in the attacking mid role. Gomes certainly couldn't have played any worse than them, so what was the real risk? Worst case scenario, he doesn't perform, but there was still the upside of him performing, and us becoming a better team as a result.

But Ole never even tried, and persisted with Lingard & Pereira who now might not even exist. Why is my question? It was a very weird decision at the time and still is.
Well i think the answer would be that when your struggling you don’t gamble, you stick with what you know even if that has its limitations.

If I put myself in Ole’s shoes at that time, (and at any time), you have to win that next game, the games become scrappy and the pressure is very much on when your struggling for in form players, that’s really the last time you want to just throw a youngster into the mix, especially one who may not cut it physically in the Premier League.

I’m not one to overstate the need for physicality in order to thrive in the top flight however at the same time it’s a lot easier for somebody like Mourinho (who doesn’t usually advocate youth) to give McTominay his debut compared to Ole throwing this kid on the pitch when we are under the cosh.

In Rainbows

It wasn't so long ago that Gomes was considered as one of the 3 most talented players of a talented English generation that included Sancho and Foden. Those two are kicking on and Gomes has stagnated.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Really? Because maybe Ole's handling of him (or lack thereof) this season is the main reason that has lead him to his decision. If he was actually getting chances i doubt he would want to leave.
If he was good enough, he'd be getting game time. Clearly he isn't because even Chong has been getting game time so I don't really care tbh.

Shiva87

If he hasn't signed a new contract yesterday then his time at Manchester United is officially over since a few minutes.
That's not correct. The contract expires on 30th.

Yesterday was only the deadline for deals that are going to get extended on a short term basis till the end of this season (for e.g. Dean Henderson loan). Angel is a United contracted player and can sign a long term deal (which is the only type of deal United will sign with him) anytime before or even after 30th.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
That's not correct. The contract expires on 30th.

Yesterday was only the deadline for deals that are going to get extended on a short term basis till the end of this season (for e.g. Dean Henderson loan). Angel is a United contracted player and can sign a long term deal (which is the only type of deal United will sign with him) anytime before or even after 30th.
Then a journalist was incorrect.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
If he was good enough, he'd be getting game time. Clearly he isn't because even Chong has been getting game time so I don't really care tbh.
That's not exactly always true though. Coaches don't always not give minutes to youth players because they're not good enough. There can be other factors that we do not know about. The situation with Gomes has been odd throughout.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
That's not exactly always true though. Coaches don't always not give minutes to youth players because they're not good enough. There can be other factors that we do not know about. The situation with Gomes has been odd throughout.
Stop finding excuses for a player that has proved he wasnt good enough when given opportunities. This idea that Ole has been harming himself to "get one" on Gomes for not signing a contract is bullshit. If he was good as Lingard and Pereria (and thats a low fecking bar) he'd get game time ahead of them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Stop finding excuses for a player that has proved he wasnt good enough when given opportunities. This idea that Ole has been harming himself to "get one" on Gomes for not signing a contract is bullshit. If he was good as Lingard and Pereria (and thats a low fecking bar) he'd get game time ahead of them.
It really isn't a "is he good enough". It's obvious that Angel Gomes has loads of talent, there's nobody at the club who doubts that. But it's also incredibly apparent that he's tiny, smaller and thinner than pretty much any other player that has actually made it in the premier league, and also the premier league happens to be the most physical league of all the big leagues. Gomes himself has probably decided that his talents will be more suited to a different league, and who can blame him? It's entirely true. In Spain for example I have no doubt that he'll progress into a far better player than he ever could here, just becomes some people aren't really made for the league. Where the club stands on him probably is a similar view point, but would rather hold on to him for as long as possible and hope he develops more physically into something closer to what you normally see in the league (can be short, but the shorter players tend to be thicker/stronger on their feet or able to handle that physicality). That is likely all there is to it, with goodwill from both sides, as you won't have seen a more hyped up youth player with more media coverage from the club itself, among fans etc out of a player who has hardly kicked a ball for the first team. He's talented, and by all accounts has a good attitude outside of games.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I never said he was malicious. It's just been strange. At the start of the season, Ole was asked about him and he said don't worry he would get his chance later in the season, but it hasn't happened. So what has changed? I am hesitant to believe he hasn't been good enough, knowing how highly rated and talented he has been for his age group. Lingard & Pereira outperforming him in training? They've been pub footballers this season, you're not believing that surely?

Marcus

I guess the question we need to ask ourselves is does he bring more to the table than Mata. It he doesn't and Mata himself does not start for United, then it may be best for him to leave.

In Rainbows

Foden has had 1 good game and it's called kicking on now?
You need to pay attention some more if you call it only 1 good game. And besides, if anything I was underrating Sancho's play where I could have classified it as something else.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You need to pay attention some more if you call it only 1 good game. And besides, if anything I was underrating Sancho's play where I could have classified it as something else.
Williams has had a better season than Foden overall.

Foden's basically only performed well against much inferior opponents and hasn't done much in tight games.

NWRed

It really isn't a "is he good enough". It's obvious that Angel Gomes has loads of talent, there's nobody at the club who doubts that. But it's also incredibly apparent that he's tiny, smaller and thinner than pretty much any other player that has actually made it in the premier league, and also the premier league happens to be the most physical league of all the big leagues. Gomes himself has probably decided that his talents will be more suited to a different league, and who can blame him? It's entirely true. In Spain for example I have no doubt that he'll progress into a far better player than he ever could here, just becomes some people aren't really made for the league. Where the club stands on him probably is a similar view point, but would rather hold on to him for as long as possible and hope he develops more physically into something closer to what you normally see in the league (can be short, but the shorter players tend to be thicker/stronger on their feet or able to handle that physicality). That is likely all there is to it, with goodwill from both sides, as you won't have seen a more hyped up youth player with more media coverage from the club itself, among fans etc out of a player who has hardly kicked a ball for the first team. He's talented, and by all accounts has a good attitude outside of games.

Talent is far more important, and Gomes has the talent, the only doubt is whether he has the mentality for it and the only way to judge that is him playing regular first team football.

He's the kind of player that needs a loan in the Championship to really develop. Playing week in week out against men in a tough league he'll come back a man ready for the first team. Whether he'll accept that is another matter.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

You are answering your own question. Otherwise, the only reason why Ole isn't playing Angel is that he is racist or something.

NWRed

You are answering your own question. Otherwise, the only reason why Ole isn't playing Angel is that he is racist or something.
Nonsense, there are other reasons for holding players back. If you've watched the Busby doc you'll have heard that other less talented youth team players were given a chance ahead of Bobby Charlton because it was thought he needed to toughen up.

Bondi77

Would it be out of turn for a journo just to ask Ole at a presser does he think that Angel is capable at the moment of handling the physical side of the Premier League?
Wouldn’t that tell us all we need to know as we already know he has great technique.
So bloody simple!!

GregtheRed_

Well i think the answer would be that when your struggling you don’t gamble, you stick with what you know even if that has its limitations.

If I put myself in Ole’s shoes at that time, (and at any time), you have to win that next game, the games become scrappy and the pressure is very much on when your struggling for in form players, that’s really the last time you want to just throw a youngster into the mix, especially one who may not cut it physically in the Premier League.

I’m not one to overstate the need for physicality in order to thrive in the top flight however at the same time it’s a lot easier for somebody like Mourinho (who doesn’t usually advocate youth) to give McTominay his debut compared to Ole throwing this kid on the pitch when we are under the cosh.
Agreed. The scrutiny this kid would be up for if he was dropped into the squad and expected to pull a lifeless United back would be mental. The media would hang this kid out to dry after his first poor performance. That alone for an 18 year old kid at the time would be pretty demoralising and unnecessary pressure.

He's clearly talented which would suggest he should be played, but I think the physicality aspect must be of high concern. His size has been mentioned by players and coaches in the past and I think United want to gradually introduce him with that in mind, when he probably has higher demands for first team football.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Nonsense, there are other reasons for holding players back. If you've watched the Busby doc you'll have heard that other less talented youth team players were given a chance ahead of Bobby Charlton because it was thought he needed to toughen up.
Precisely. There are reasons why Ole has not played Angel as many times as LIngard, Chongy etc. And these reasons are clearly not obvious from the outside. As the cliche goes, the manager sees him every day on the training ground whilst armchair quarterbacks are trying to give their 2 pence worth like they know better than the manager.

In Rainbows

Foden's basically only performed well against much inferior opponents and hasn't done much in tight games.
Foden has 6 goals and 7 assists this season as an attacking midfielder in 1229 minutes. So a goal or assist every 94 minutes.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
This is the 2nd time he had rand down his contract to the last few days now. I don't think he will be resigning this time either.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
For some odd reason I thought he had already signed a new deal with us during the last couple of months.

Adamsk7

Honestly, who cares? He’s not as good as Bruno and never will be. Fernandes is only 25 and certainly not a speed merchant so we will get 7/8 solid years from him (all going well). Angel is never going to sit on our bench for that long.
if he were good enough to play, he would have by now. Ole has given so many opportunities to youth players that any talk of a vendetta or bias is strongly over played.
As I said in a previous post, either his own skill/attitude or the environment specifically for this player are not right. It doesn’t mean he won’t go on to be a success elsewhere but the notion that if he goes to a different club and is suddenly a starter will be our loss is so silly. He’s not performing here, period.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Looking like he’s off.

Good luck to him. Never really got a chance with Ole did he. I guess he just didn’t fancy him based on what he saw in training.

Hopefully this doesn’t bite us in a the ass.

No he hasn’t. I’m sorry but this is a ludicrous statement.