Gaming 'Anonymous' Target Sony

Lance Uppercut

Hacktivist' group Anonymous says it is targeting Sony over its "wholly unforgivable" legal pursuit of PS3 hackers George 'Geohot' Hotz and Graf Chokolo.

Over the past few years the Anonymous collective has become increasingly associated with collaborative, international hacking activities against big corporations opposed to the whistleblowing website WikiLeaks.

It was reportedly responsible for distributed denial of service attacks on a number of companies including Visa, Mastercard and Amazon, and now says Sony is its next target.

A post on its website reads: "Congratulations, Sony... You are now receiving the attention of Anonymous. Your recent legal actions against fellow internet citizens, GeoHot and Graf_Chokolo have been deemed an unforgivable offense against free speech and internet freedom...

"You have abused the judicial system in an attempt to censor information about how your products work. You have victimised your own customers merely for possessing and sharing information, and continue to target those who seek this information.

"In doing so you have violated the privacy of thousands of innocent people who only sought the free distribution of information.

"Your suppression of this information is motivated by corporate greed and the desire for complete control over the actions of individuals who purchase and use your products, at least when those actions threaten to undermine the corrupt stranglehold you seek to maintain over copywrong, oops, 'copyright'."

It goes on to say: "Your corrupt business practices are indicative of a corporate philosophy that would deny consumers the right to use products they have paid for, and rightfully own, in the manner of their choosing. Perhaps you should alert your customers to the fact that they are apparently only renting your products?

"In light of this assault on both rights and free expression, Anonymous, the notoriously handsome rulers of the internet, would like to inform you that you have only been 'renting' your web domains. Having trodden upon Anonymous' rights, you must now be trodden on.

"If you disagree with the disciplinary actions against your private parts domains, then we trust you can also understand our motivations for these actions. You own your domains. You paid for them with your own money. Now Anonymous is attacking your private property because we disagree with your actions. And that seems, dare we say it, 'wrong.' Sound familiar?"
CVG

I can hear Sony quaking from here.

Heffo

That has to be the most cringe worthy threatening statement I have ever read. "Copywrong, oops, 'copyright'." :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Those evil bastards Sony trying to stop people hacking their console, who the hell do they think they are?!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It's your property Nick; why can't you do whatever you want to it?
I'm obviously torn on this one. On the one hand you are right (in my book), but on the other I've been personally affected by piracy, so I still see the need to try to prevent it.

I mean without Piracy we'd still be getting PC games that push the limits, not the generic console-like crap of late.

20solskjaer

Dont they word it funny, even though you own the console you are on using the software that runs it under licence or something like that

x42bn6

There used to be a time when it used to be "cool" to hack consoles or write your own games for consoles. Nowadays, it's more of a "take it or leave it" thing.

Removing OtherOS really pissed off a lot of users and for good reason. When you have an incredible piece of hardware like the PS3, marrying it to an operating system like Linux is a wet dream come true. But not to Sony.

Lance Uppercut

A number of Sony's official PlayStation-related websites have gone offline following threatened attacks from a hacker group.

At the time of writing, the official US PlayStation Blog was completely down, as was PlayStation.com and the browser-based PS Store (via PC).

Sony has said that the PlayStation Network is undergoing maintenance today that may cause outages to the service.

"PSN currently undergoing sporadic maintenance," it said via an official Twitter feed earlier today. "Access to the PSN may be interrupted throughout the day. We apologize for any inconvenience," it warned.

But it has not acknowledged the website outages. At the time of writing we were able to sign into PSN via our PS3 and access the PS Store.

This comes on the same day Sony was threatened by hacker group 'Anonymous', which said it would target Sony's PSN and official websites in protest against its lawsuit against PS3 hacker George 'Geohot' Hotz. Coincidence? It certainly doesn't seem so.

Revenge of the Nerds.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Unless I've misunderstood, they're trying to make it accept pirate games, right? Which in my eyes it's perfectly understandable for Sony to want to prevent.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Those evil bastards Sony trying to stop people hacking their console, who the hell do they think they are?!
They are evil bastards. Ruined my first PS3 with that useless speed update on the BluRay that the older machine couldn't handle well all to well.

Not to mention taking away people's alternate choice of operating system which they implemented in the first place. It'll be buying a MacBook and the downloading a Mac update that installs Ubuntu. Not their business.

Dave89

FAO Sony: Protip - if you don't want people altering hardware you make, don't fecking sell it to them.

Lance Uppercut

In a distasteful twist to the ongoing battle between hackers and Sony, individual employees at the Japanese firm are now being targeted for personal attack.

In protest against the legal pursuit of PS3 hackers, hacktivist group Anonymous has already successfully targeted a number of Sony websites and services as part of 'Operation Sony', a coordinated campaign of DDOS attacks.

But now an off-shoot of the main group calling itself 'SonyRecon' is taking things further. According to PlayStation lifestyle, hackers are working together to gather the personal information of "useful targets", including names, telephone numbers, addresses, family history and more in a bid to use the information against them

The site reports that SonyRecon has already uncovered personal details of senior Sony employees - including group executive Robert Wiesenthal - and is distributing them on the net. Other targets identified include Nicole Seligman, executive VP and general counsel for Sony, and CEO Howard Stringer.

SonyRecon outlined a number of ways in which stolen information could be used "to mess with the target", including sending STD e-postcards warning recipients that a former partner had a sexually transmitted disease.

The group also claims that it temporarily brought down the website of Kilpatrick Townsend, the legal firm representing Sony in the Geohot PS3 hacking case.

:(

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So now if a manufacturer quite reasonably tries to prevent people from pirating the employees of the company are individually targeted?

These people are complete twats.