Antoine Griezmann| Catalunya Radio say Griezmann to Barcelona is done for €100m

Status
Not open for further replies.

FujiVice

In this market, £92 million for Griezmann isnt even a risky transfer. Its like the Ashley Young fee from 2011 compared to the silly money being spent now. He'd be incredible for us. Final piece of the rebuilding process.

Moonred

I'll eat my hat if he comes in January. I doubt he is going to come at all, but lot can change and next summer can be interesting.

acnumber9

They are very different issues which he may see as independent from each other.
He might do but I do wonder if a man happy to sacrifice at least a few months of his career through loyalty would just turn around and sign for one of their rivals. If he cared that little he could've just left. I could easily be proved wrong on this mind you.

ice-bionic red

Can see us maybe doing the deal in January but him coming to us for the start of next season

Castia

Surely if it's going to happen in will be next summer. It makes little sense moving mid season after opting to stay a few months prior.

I wouldn't mind a pre agreement deal though, pay for him in Jan and he starts here next season.

ti vu

Surely if it's going to happen in will be next summer. It makes little sense moving mid season after opting to stay a few months prior.

I wouldn't mind a pre agreement deal though, pay for him in Jan and he starts here next season.
I don't like the upfront payment especially for expensive signings at all. What if he got major injury few games toward the end of the season? Or to lesser extend some sort of niggling injuries but keeps getting forced to play for his current club, then those injuries starting to take toll when he eventually wears our shirt?

Last edited:

El-Manos

We clearly lacked motivation to pursue the fourth target. It seems evident this dude is the reason for that. Our first summer signing 2018.

Castia

I don't like the upfront payment especially for expensive signings at all. What if he got major injury few games toward the end of the season? Or to lesser extend some sort of niggling jupinjuriea but kept got forced to play for his current club, then those injuries starting to take toll when he eventually wears our shirt?
Good point but I fear next summer half the top clubs in Europe will want to trigger that contract, £90m for someone of his quality will be a huge bargain. It might be worth taking the risk if it guarantees us the player.

Sterling Archer

What is Jose Mourinho's history with January signings?

That will surely help us better guess whether we make the move in the winter window or summer.

BocaJuniors

So why cant we get a pre contract like pool are doing with Keita?

edcunited1878

Just a thought here....Agent PP6 loves basketball. Lukaku and PP6 are basically best friends/brothers and they both love basketball. Griezmann loves basketball.

The NBA have superteams now because players, like the players on Team USA's Olympic National Team are pretty much dictating their free agent/transfers and team up with each other. Get paid, play with your mates and give your chance a great opportunity to win the Championship.

Agent PP6 sees this, he's the ring leader and loves it. He got DDG to have a playful handshake between the two of them ffs! These players want to play with PP6 and be at the big club with the big targets on their shirts in the most competitive league in world football.

RL9, PP6, AG7. These dudes talk and talk and talk. Be surprised if this happens, but don't be overly shocked.

edcunited1878

So why cant we get a pre contract like pool are doing with Keita?
United will not pass up the dog and pony show on a signing like this during a January window. If Griezmann has another successful major tournament, he'll be milked throughout the summer, go on his holiday and speculation will be off the charts again. Someone is going to take the 7 of Manchester United...whoever that is (i.e. Antoine Grizemann) they're going to be given a platform to shine on and off the pitch.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sanchez, Messi and Griezmann? Our January is going to be a belter.

ti vu

What is Jose Mourinho's history with January signings?

That will surely help us better guess whether we make the move in the winter window or summer.
It's debatable whether it's the board signings or Mourinho's, so there were bad one like Cuarado, Scott Parker, Salah... while there was Matic

Solo Toure

The #7 needs to be given to a player with exceptional talent, who is a match winner and game changer.

There are not many players available who fit that certain criteria. Unfortunately Sanchez isn't coming to United.

Griezmann is definitely one of those players, his release clause is decent considering the inflated transfer market for a player of his calibre, his idol is Becks I believe in destiny and the #7 awaits him in January or next summer.

settembrini

I don't see us going back for him. Ship has sailed.
Me neither. Mourinho has been saying for months that he wants a) a winger and b) players that really want to play for United. Griezmann isn't a winger and 90% of this forum think he turned us down in the summer. But somehow we will break our transfer record for him asap? Pie in the sky.

Shuriken

Just looking at the financial aspect, if the numbers indeed are correct – £92m would be an absolute bargain for Griezmann in the current market.

Rake

Me neither. Mourinho has been saying for months that he wants a) a winger and b) players that really want to play for United. Griezmann isn't a winger and 90% of this forum think he turned us down in the summer. But somehow we will break our transfer record for him asap? Pie in the sky.
He didn't turn us down, he just showed ( what appears to be ) loyalty towards his current club. I bet if one of our players did the same, we would have been estatic....

By all accounts we were going to sign Griezmann; we didn't really pursue Perisic that much (there are other wingers available and Mourinho said he had a few players for every position) we surely would have moved to another target; Mourinho himself said that we will leave our business for the next transfer window.

There are a few indications that we would rather wait than sign a player. Not saying that it is Griezmann but it would make sense for us to strike a deal now and sign him in the summer.

As some of the other guys pointed out, 90 million is starting to seem like a great deal.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
We'll be back in for him next summer definitely, I doubt get all this "Ship has sailed" stuff, of course it hasn't.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This. I just can't see it working out on the pitch.
Mourinho is the finest tactical manager in the game right now. It's possibly the one facet I'd even rate him higher than SAF was. Point being, IF Mourinho deeks him as requisite to his algorithm, I'm sure it will work.

Am so impressed by his transfer activity, in last stint at Chelsea as well as his time with us. So I have total confidence in his transfer choices.

The issue for me is will he come to us if Barcelona is also an option and also how long it will take him to adapt to the demands of United and the Premier League.

settembrini

He didn't turn us down, he just showed ( what appears to be ) loyalty towards his current club. I bet if one of our players did the same, we would have been estatic....
If you are saying he showed loyalty because he could have left for us, but decided to stay, then he obviously turned us down. They are not two different things, they are one and the same.

ovoxo

I'd be very surprised if we went back in for him in January and managed to get him. I think it's certain for the summer though.

He'll probably play behind Lukaku, which will help us get more goals, but means we sacrifice a Miki or Mata's creativity.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I'd be very surprised if we went back in for him in January and managed to get him. I think it's certain for the summer though.

He'll probably play behind Lukaku, which will help us get more goals, but means we sacrifice a Miki or Mata's creativity.
Griezmann is better than both Mkhi and Mata.

Andersons Dietician

Don't think he'll move in January but there would still be value in getting him for me. Good few months in the league seeing what it's about and ready to go for next season at full whack.

Weirdly at 92mil he's probably the best value player you're going to get. Because after this summer you're not going to get players around his ability level for anything less than 150mil. Dybala for example.

cyberman

Griezmann as inside right forward.
Done. There would be pressure on TFM as wingback but he has the pace to get up and down.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Does it not seem strange to anyone the release clause changes in January?

He looks bang on to sign for us all year, then he decides to stay to help out Athletico, but conveniently has his release clause halve in January. Kind of seems like a secret agreement has been made.

Also, chem trails have turned my frogs gay.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Does it not seem strange to anyone the release clause changes in January?

He looks bang on to sign for us all year, then he decides to stay to help out Athletico, but conveniently has his release clause halve in January. Kind of seems like a secret agreement has been made.

Also, chem trails have turned my frogs gay.
It just aligns with protecting themselves during their transfer ban. Who knows if we have something already agreed. I think it would have been leaked if we have.

R'hllor

Maybe i am wrong but as long is JM our manager, players from Atl. Madrid would be most fit for us due Simeone and JM similar style.

ovoxo

Griezmann is better than both Mkhi and Mata.
I'm not disputing that, I'm saying Griezmann is more of a finisher, so we will sacrifice creativity if Miki or Mata drops out. So others around the team will have to step up their creativity.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I'm not disputing that, I'm saying Griezmann is more of a finisher, so we will sacrifice creativity if Miki or Mata drops out. So others around the team will have to step up their creativity.
Doesnt mean he isn't creative. He can definitely do both.

ti vu

Good point but I fear next summer half the top clubs in Europe will want to trigger that contract, £90m for someone of his quality will be a huge bargain. It might be worth taking the risk if it guarantees us the player.
Thing is this is release clause we're talking about (differently than agreeing a fee with Atletico) so other clubs would also be aware of it. It means in the end of the day, whether we can impose ourselves and attract Griezmann is all what matters. Gambling by paying the fee but still leaves Griezmann in Atletico hands is not worth it as I explained.

red thru&thru

Thing is this is release clause we're talking about (differently than agreeing a fee with Atletico) so other clubs would also be aware of it. It means in the end of the day, whether we can impose ourselves and attract Griezmann is all what matters. Gambling by paying the fee but still leaves Griezmann in Atletico hands is not worth it as I explained.
All about Agent P. He'd be cruicial to this deal, just like he was with Lukaku.

lewwoo

He won't be coming here now. More likely destination barca or psg. We missed the window of opportunity, due to circumstances out of our control, on this one when there wasn't really anyone else in for him to the degree we were. Landscape will be different next summer.

Sterling Archer

He won't be coming here now. More likely destination barca or psg. We missed the window of opportunity, due to circumstances out of our control, on this one when there wasn't really anyone else in for him to the degree we were. Landscape will be different next summer.
I feel more confident in those teams NOT being after Griezman having just signed Dembele, Neymar and Mbape respectively

Walters_19_MuFc

If we continue to play Mata on the right, who will naturally come inside, then having someone like Griezmann would be perfect, in my opinion.

He would provide loads of running off the ball, which will allow the likes of Mata to tuck into the middle and have the room needed to create.

A front four of say:

Lukaku
Martial Griezmann Mata

Would be very similar to France's front four, in that you have a winger who is looking to run at players (Martial/Coman) a target man (Lukaku/Giroud) and someone who comes inside from the wing (Mata/Lemar). Then you obviously have Griezmann behind the forward.

92 million, in this day and age would be money well spent, in my opinion. He's a goal machine, and would take pressure off Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.