g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Antonio Nusa

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Massively talented winger. Turned down Chelsea on deadline day.

Second youngest player ever to score in the CL.

He's sensational. Won't be a Brugge beyond January.

Samid

1G+3A in his first two NT games. Made the LW spot his own in no time.

Always thought Andreas Schjelderup would be the LW Norwegian gem. This guy looks class.

Like others have said, that LW position is stocked for 10+ years unfortunately.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I admired what he said about the failed Chelsea move. It sounds like he has a career plan and that offer from Chelsea wasn't going to let him deviate from that. I do think Chelsea will go back in for him next summer. It's just going to cost more. I'd probably turn us down again if I was him :lol:

‘I already knew that it wasn’t going to happen now.

‘But then the money came on the table. Then it is seen in a slightly different way.

‘We had to have another conversation when the money arrived, but we were on the same page, so there was no problem there.’

lysglimt

Scout
Always thought Andreas Schjelderup would be the LW Norwegian gem. This guy looks class.

Like others have said, that LW position is stocked for 10+ years unfortunately.
Schjeldrup was brilliant in the second half against Latvia - maybe our best player after the break.

redcucumber

I admired what he said about the failed Chelsea move. It sounds like he has a career plan and that offer from Chelsea wasn't going to let him deviate from that. I do think Chelsea will go back in for him next summer. It's just going to cost more. I'd probably turn us down again if I was him :lol:
Didn't you spend £90m on a left winger pretty recently?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Why do Norway have so many supposed wonder kids but still can't qualify to any tournament? Even Northern Ireland has qualified.

SAFMUTD

Why do Norway have so many supposed wonder kids but still can't qualify to any tournament? Even Northern Ireland has qualified.
Really unbalanced team. Haaland and Odegaard are the top stars all the rest of the players are below average besides the odd promising youngster here and there.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Really unbalanced team. Haaland and Odegaard are the top stars all the rest of the players are below average besides the odd promising youngster here and there.
I bet Norway still has a bigger talent pool than Northern Ireland. Norway FA probably as incompetent as Portuguese FA is my guess.

Eriku

That and we’re clearly weak mentally. The way we fell apart towards the end against Georgia made me go "oh no, not again", and I’m pretty sure the team and coaching staff were bricking it too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Very low football erritaj.

hungryhippo

1. We are serial bottlers. I could list 10-15 moments in the last 20 years where we messed up in inventive ways at the last minute.
2. In my opinion, we have been and we still are poorly coached.

Our talent has not been good enough to overcome 1 and 2, but when the next generation comes through, I think we will qualify regardless. I do not think we will ever reach our potential under the current manager, though.

hungryhippo

As regards Nusa, very exciting talent. Very smart, good dribbler, reallly good pace.

Too unfinished to be in the conversation for big clubs. Needs playing time. Club Brugge seems like an excellent place to develop over the next year. He should not leave for a bigger club before he is pretty much certain to get playing time there as well. Learn from Haaland.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
1. We are serial bottlers. I could list 10-15 moments in the last 20 years where we messed up in inventive ways at the last minute.
2. In my opinion, we have been and we still are poorly coached.

Our talent has not been good enough to overcome 1 and 2, but when the next generation comes through, I think we will qualify regardless. I do not think we will ever reach our potential under the current manager, though.
Sounds like us with Fernando Santos. We were able to surpass the difficult moments due to the brilliance of the players. You see how awful Santos actually is by his Poland NT job.

Samid

- We don't have GK/defence.

- We don't have the mentality to see out games. If matches finished at 80 mins we'd be at most tournaments.

- We're getting screwed by our managers. All of them have their favorites. Players who simply don't play any football (I'm sure the goalie has played more national team games than club games in the past year), CB who has been absolutely dross for my local team this season (leaving us in a relegation battle) but somehow is first choice for the NT, players who are constantly played out of position etc.

- We're getting screwed by our federation. There's no common sense or football awareness. This guy (Nusa) was only last year banned from all NT age groups because he turned down a U17 call-up in the summer. At that stage he had played football for 18 straight months and needed a rest (season here starts in late winter so if you move abroad in the summer you don't really get any time off until 18 months later). Federation doesn't care about player welfare and banned him anyway. Way to take care of your talents.

- We're always in a group with one giant (Netherlands, Italy, Spain etc) who we can't compete against. But then there's also a lower pot team that out of nothing have the campaign of their lives. Last qualifiers Turkey were scoring from literally every shot and getting dodgy VAR pens deep into added time. These qualifiers Scotland have turned into peak Brazil. McTominay is looking like the second coming of Pele in this group. This is especially annoying because there are always 5-6 other groups that are piss poor but we're never in any of those.

- We're getting screwed by our government. First they forced us to forfeit an easy home game against Romania because of one covid case. 3 points down the drain. 3 days later they forced us to field an entirely new squad away to Austria. A bunch of no names who had never played with each other before had to win by 2 goals. We heroically led the game right until the final moments as we threw everyone in attack and they managed to draw the game.

- We're getting screwed by our government part 2. We had the advantage of playing both the Euro play-off semi and final at home. Our government didn't allow more than 200 fans. Essentially made it a neutral game and we were knocked out by Serbia on a soulless night with no one in attendance.

- We're getting screwed by our government part 3. As if these incompetent clowns hadn't caused enough trouble already, they wouldn't allow traveling teams into the country without quarantining. So we had to move our home qualifiers to Spain. Turkey couldn't believe their luck as they faced us in 30 degrees at some training complex instead of a freezing, bitter and sold out March evening in Oslo.

- We're getting screwed by UEFA rules. Russia getting banned means there's a group with 3 teams in League B of Nations League. So all groups are getting results against 4th placed teams nulled. This has meant Finland are ranked just ahead of us in the play-offs. At the moment Finland are getting the final play-off spot and we are just on the outside. We picked up more points than Finland but they are getting rewarded for picking up fewer points against the 4th place than we did. Cheers UEFA/Russia.

- We're getting screwed by League A nations not doing their job in the qualifiers. If your mate Santos hadn't fecked up a piss easy group with Poland we'd be getting their play-off spot. Cheers Santos.

The universe doesn't want us at any tournaments and I've made my peace with it.

criticalanalysis

I was watching the highlights, saw this guy who was dwarfing everyone else and thought 'that's probably Sorloth'.

It was Jørgen Strand Larsen.

Larsen, Haaland and Sorloth, the biggest/widest/tallest front three in football history?

Eriku

- We don't have the mentality to see out games. If matches finished at 80 mins we'd be at most tournaments.

- We're getting screwed by our managers. All of them have their favorites. Players who simply don't play any football (I'm sure the goalie has played more national team games than club games in the past year), CB who has been absolutely dross for my local team this season (leaving us in a relegation battle) but somehow is first choice for the NT, players who are constantly played out of position etc.

- We're getting screwed by our federation. There's no common sense or football awareness. This guy (Nusa) was only last year banned from all NT age groups because he turned down a U17 call-up in the summer. At that stage he had played football for 18 straight months and needed a rest (season here starts in late winter so if you move abroad in the summer you don't really get any time off until 18 months later). Federation doesn't care about player welfare and banned him anyway. Way to take care of your talents.

- We're always in a group with one giant (Netherlands, Italy, Spain etc) who we can't compete against. But then there's also a lower pot team that out of nothing have the campaign of their lives. Last qualifiers Turkey were scoring from literally every shot and getting dodgy VAR pens deep into added time. These qualifiers Scotland have turned into peak Brazil. McTominay is looking like the second coming of Pele in this group. This is especially annoying because there are always 5-6 other groups that are piss poor but we're never in any of those.

- We're getting screwed by our government. First they forced us to forfeit an easy home game against Romania because of one covid case. 3 points down the drain. 3 days later they forced us to field an entirely new squad away to Austria. A bunch of no names who had never played with each other before had to win by 2 goals. We heroically led the game right until the final moments as we threw everyone in attack and they managed to draw the game.

- We're getting screwed by our government part 2. We had the advantage of playing both the Euro play-off semi and final at home. Our government didn't allow more than 200 fans. Essentially made it a neutral game and we were knocked out by Serbia on a soulless night with no one in attendance.

- We're getting screwed by our government part 3. As if these incompetent clowns hadn't caused enough trouble already, they wouldn't allow traveling teams into the country without quarantining. So we had to move our home qualifiers to Spain. Turkey couldn't believe their luck as they faced us in 30 degrees at some training complex instead of a freezing, bitter and sold out March evening in Oslo.

- We're getting screwed by UEFA rules. Russia getting banned means there's a group with 3 teams in League B of Nations League. So all groups are getting results against 4th placed teams nulled. This has meant Finland are ranked just ahead of us in the play-offs. At the moment Finland are getting the final play-off spot and we are just on the outside. We picked up more points than Finland but they are getting rewarded for picking up fewer points against the 4th place than we did. Cheers UEFA/Russia.

- We're getting screwed by League A nations not doing their job in the qualifiers. If your mate Santos hadn't fecked up a piss easy group with Poland we'd be getting their play-off spot. Cheers Santos.

Solid summary, that. And that’s just our most recent campaigns.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Christ that's a misture of bad luck and incompetence. Sounds like Sporting.

Thank you for the detailed post. Hopefully Norway is on the rise now. I actually like to watch Norway games since it's exciting for a neutral. Your u21 team gave me good money yesterday. Good luck for the future.

justsomebloke

Well, I'd qualify that a little. There are several other players who are on a more than adequate international level, in addition to Haaland and Ødegaard (f.e. Aursnes, Sørloth, Berge). The trouble is more that the whole back four + goalkeeper is well below adequate international level. Since we're (relatively speaking) loaded with talent in midfield and the attack, it's not really an option to play a style built around defensive solidity. But playing a more ambitious style is too much for our defence, who's more of a liability than our attack is an advantage. Hence, we generally lose tight games, and often fail to win games that ought not to be close. That's all it takes.

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
How can he be valued at €4m if bids of €30m have been rejected?
A valuation is arbitrary / subjective / a guess. . .
Actual market value is the highest price that anyone is both able and willing to pay at a point in time.

Club Brugge obviously think that the €30 million Chelsea bid will be exceeded in due course when he becomes more established / more proven.

TsuWave

Sold all Sancho stock and bought Nusa shares

BarstoolProphet

He and his team is really focused on choosing the right development path for him, citing Haaland's as an inspiration. I highly doubt a toxic superclub, seemingly without a development plan for youngsters, like United is under consideration for his next step. Leipzig it is.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Copying Chelsea’s transfer targets. Get your own scouts you cheeky feckers.

Bojan Djordjic

Well, I'd qualify that a little. There are several other players who are on a more than adequate international level, in addition to Haaland and Ødegaard (f.e. Aursnes, Sørloth, Berge). The trouble is more that the whole back four + goalkeeper is well below adequate international level. Since we're (relatively speaking) loaded with talent in midfield and the attack, it's not really an option to play a style built around defensive solidity. But playing a more ambitious style is too much for our defence, who's more of a liability than our attack is an advantage. Hence, we generally lose tight games, and often fail to win games that ought not to be close. That's all it takes.
Is Ajer not considered to be decent (haven't seen him since his Celtic days)?

Gandalf

I guess we might do that in 12 months after we pawn Mudryk off on you or Arsenal for £52M.
You won't catch us buying any washed up Chelsea players!

Well apart from Mata you won't catch us buying any washed up Chelsea players!
Ok, apart from Mata and Matic you won't catch us buying any washed up Chelsea players!
Allright, apart from Mata, Matic and Mount you won't catch us buying any washed up Chelsea players!

Wait all those players had names beginning with M, fecks sake we are buying Mudryk aren't we.

justsomebloke

Is Ajer not considered to be decent (haven't seen him since his Celtic days)?
Yes, but he's played almost nothing over the past year or so due to injuries, and he hasn't been uniformly good for the NT. We might have the makings of a decent central pairing with him and Leo Østigård, eventually. Still need a keeper and better full backs though.