Antonio Rüdiger

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Knowing Florentino as I do, I don't think he would be comfortable signing another veteran CB on big wages. He let two of them go in Ramos and Varane and signed Alaba. I rather see a promising and young CB filling the third slot or Nacho keeping that role and a youngster from the academy (Rafa Marin?) having the fourth slot.

The club is very well managed as it is to start doing Bartomeuesque moves.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think he'll hit the heights he reached under Tuchel at another club. He'll be a decent serviceable player for the rest of his career with his peak being 2021.

izec

Knowing Florentino as I do, I don't think he would be comfortable signing another veteran CB on big wages. He let two of them go in Ramos and Varane and signed Alaba. I rather see a promising and young CB filling the third slot or Nacho keeping that role and a youngster from the academy (Rafa Marin?) having the fourth slot.

The club is very well managed as it is to start doing Bartomeuesque moves.
You will sign him, as Militao and Alaba are your only two good CBs. When Nacho has to step in when of the two is injured, you are in trouble. Unless you have a potentially top young CB currently somewhere in the reserves or loaned out, which i dont think, you will sign someone this summer.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Don’t think they will give him the financial package he wants, Real Madrid seems the most likely
I would expect Bayern to match the alleged wages (200k pw) but I don’t know if they are in for him and - after all - it is Real that comes knocking.

Lentwood

Apparently we offered a £10m per annum contract....does this not worry anybody else slightly?

If it's true, it really indicates to me we haven't learnt much from the last decade.

Before everybody jumps down my throat, I rate Rudiger, but I'm not convinced at all by offering long-term, high-salary deals to 29yo players.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Apparently we offered a £10m per annum contract....does this not worry anybody else slightly?

If it's true, it really indicates to me we haven't learnt much from the last decade.

Before everybody jumps down my throat, I rate Rudiger, but I'm not convinced at all by offering long-term, high-salary deals to 29yo players.
Allegedly even £10m net(!) per annum

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Matt Judge is still handling contract negotiations... I'm sure Ralf will get onto him soon enough

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
You will sign him, as Militao and Alaba are your only two good CBs. When Nacho has to step in when of the two is injured, you are in trouble. Unless you have a potentially top young CB currently somewhere in the reserves or loaned out, which i dont think, you will sign someone this summer.
The likes of Jose Feliz Diaz are saying he would be accepting a much smaller salary than he was asking for a few months ago. If that's the case I can see why the deal can make more sense now. We'll see if it finally happens.

RoyH1

He’s the sort of living on the edge defender that will become an absolute fecking liability the instant he loses a yard.
I think Madrid missed having a red card magnet with Ramos leaving so maybe Rüdiger is being brought in to keep up with traditions?

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yep, no idea at all what his comment is about :lol:
History... He got sent off 4 times while playing in Germany, twice while playing for Roma. Not exceptionally much from the beginning but noticable, and he clearly matured over time.

Bearded One

We need to do everything we can to get this guy on a bossman. I know Bayern would be sniffing and he’d like to play for Germany’s biggest club but I think we have th rfjnancial kuscleto pull his head.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Our back 4 next season:
Carvajal/Vazquez/Nacho/Militao --- Militao/Nacho --- Rudiger/Alaba/Nacho --- Alaba/Mendy/Nacho/Rudiger/Gutierrez
A player like Nacho gives us so much flexibility and he doesn't even complain when he's on the bench. Solid squaddie.

DevilRed

Where is madrid finding all this money?

But I suppose they've taken the juve route in signing freebies these days.

We really should put more effort into doing the same as there are some good players out of contract.

charlie C

Supports
Chelsea
Our back 4 next season:
Carvajal/Vazquez/Nacho/Militao --- Militao/Nacho --- Rudiger/Alaba/Nacho --- Alaba/Mendy/Nacho/Rudiger/Gutierrez
A player like Nacho gives us so much flexibility and he doesn't even complain when he's on the bench. Solid squaddie.
As gutted as I am to see Rudi leave, he really isn’t the same player in a back four. His leadership and character are his main attributes.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I like him a lot but I'm not entirely convinced of his signing (I wasn't with Alaba either and for the moment he has been a total success).
Are they going to pay him 8/10 net and move Alaba, and are they also going to give Mendy the new contract he is asking for?
If this is the case, it does not fit to have 3 CB of that category + Mendy on the side, and if not, the truth is that I would not like to sell Mendy, unless they value that he gets injured a lot and it is better get funds.

Giggsy13

Shame that we can't bring him in, but he always seemed destined for Spain. Apparently the CB targets are Timber, Kounde or Torres.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
We need to do everything we can to get this guy on a bossman.
Is that really necessary? Just because bossman didn't give you an extra wing you're going to get him battered?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like him a lot but I'm not entirely convinced of his signing (I wasn't with Alaba either and for the moment he has been a total success).
Are they going to pay him 8/10 net and move Alaba, and are they also going to give Mendy the new contract he is asking for?
If this is the case, it does not fit to have 3 CB of that category + Mendy on the side, and if not, the truth is that I would not like to sell Mendy, unless they value that he gets injured a lot and it is better get funds.
Are you still signing Mbappe? Would a back 3 to make it easier to fit Mbappe and Benz upfront be a possibility?

SAFMUTD

Where is madrid finding all this money?

But I suppose they've taken the juve route in signing freebies these days.

We really should put more effort into doing the same as there are some good players out of contract.
They haven't really spent in the last years, besides Hazard they haven't made any record signings.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Are you still signing Mbappe? Would a back 3 to make it easier to fit Mbappe and Benz upfront be a possibility?
Yes, it could a possibility, although I don't know if in the long term. It is strange to modify an entire system to fit one or two players

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Rudiger can play either side though - he's one of the most two-footed CBs I've ever seen. His long balls with either foot are excellent. He smashes through balls with his (ostensibly) weaker left foot all the time.

Personally I'd prefer a left side of Rudiger / Alaba in big games - especially as that security down that flank would allow Vini to stay high in counterattacking positions. In the second leg vs us, I think you suffered because Benzema was isolated and he had no one to combine with - if Vini can stay higher because the defense behind him is airtight that would help you retain the ball and transition more effectively potentially.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
As gutted as I am to see Rudi leave, he really isn’t the same player in a back four. His leadership and character are his main attributes.
This season in 8 matches that Rudiger played in a back 4 (all at LCB) Chelsea won 7 and lost 1 (transfermarkt).
I am confident that Ancellotti and the Madrid coaching staff will be able to replicate this at Madrid, especially since Rudiger is entering what are considered peak years for a defender.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
His leadership and character are his main attributes.
Wich is exactly why Madrid are in for him. Rudiger is a Ramos replacement in terms of a man who can lead the defence. Also many of you forget that he is playing in a back 4 for the German national team - it depends with whom he is playing.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Wich is exactly why Madrid are in for him. Rudiger is a Ramos replacement in terms of a man who can lead the defence. Also many of you forget that he is playing in a back 4 for the German national team - it depends with whom he is playing.
Our national team has been mediocre at best for a while, it isn't a good argument to support your point.