Antonio Valencia renews his contract (2019+1)

Bebe

Great stuff.

2 year contract with the option of a third? Interesting considering he's going to be 32 by the next season. Thought we only give +1 year contracts to the oldies.
The club might have factored in that he's an absolute tank. Guy has barely lost any pace since he joined us despite putting on a ton of muscle. Far from your average 30+ year old.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Excellent - I thought he was done for a few years ago but he's really cemented himself as a top right-back since then.

R'hllor

Was hoping we would sign a new RB this summer,either way,its a good deal for everyone involved.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't think he got the recognition he deserved this year, outside of United fans. But I don't really care. Glad that he's rather quietly one of the full backs in the league. No exaggeration, I wouldn't want another RB over him at this moment in time. He's improved on everything. His defensive positioning was suspect and he's really nailed that in the last year or two. He's gotten so much better at defending in 1-on-1 situations, and he's hard to beat in the air now, despite not being the tallest. It is evident he's put in a great deal of legwork to become a good defender, and not just dropped back to do a job. Great player with a great attitude.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Will be 35 at the end of his contract. He's an athlete though.

Zlatattack

I know, I know. The man is a monster.

But this is the highest level of football, and players can and have fallen off a cliff at some point in terms of physicality - especially playing at such a position like fullback. I think he's definitely good for at least another year. After that I'd try getting a first team quality RB and having Valencia as his deputy.
Agree 100%

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I found him frustrating to watch as rb last year, and honestly wanted him gone.
The lad really proved himself this year, one of our best, and most consistent players.
Rarely injured aswell.
Really happy for him, well deserved extension.

I think he needs to improve his English to be a captain though.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
This year he's been quality and I bet he would fit just perfectly in at Barca or Real. Had he been 27 they would probably ask.

There's something special about south American full backs. Glad we have this fitness phenomenon in our squad.

the hea

Great news and fully deserved, he's been one of our best player this season and probably the most consistent, I can't remember him having a bad game all season.

engulfing

Well deserved! Model professional and a superb athlete. He'll get a testimonial one day. Pity he doest really have a song.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Happy for him, he had a great season. Fully stepped up and one of the few players who earned his new deal.

Now onto Herrea please

Oldyella

Well deserved! Model professional and a superb athlete. He'll get a testimonial one day. Pity he doest really have a song.
Maybe thats why he always looks so angry. Fantastic news though, hes improved in the position so much since first dropping back there.

ravelston

I don't think he got the recognition he deserved this year, outside of United fans. But I don't really care. Glad that he's rather quietly one of the full backs in the league. No exaggeration, I wouldn't want another RB over him at this moment in time. He's improved on everything. His defensive positioning was suspect and he's really nailed that in the last year or two. He's gotten so much better at defending in 1-on-1 situations, and he's hard to beat in the air now, despite not being the tallest. It is evident he's put in a great deal of legwork to become a good defender, and not just dropped back to do a job. Great player with a great attitude.
Statistically (i.e. on whoscored), he's the best right back in the league - and it isn't particularly close. Indeed, other than Milner (hate to say it, but he has been brilliant at LB), he's the best fullback on either side - and it's very close between them.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Well deserved, glad he's staying. However, we have no replacement for him at all, I am still worried about what happens when he is injured, or when we need decent rotation option.

el3mel

Well deserved, glad he's staying. However, we have no replacement for him at all, I am still worried about what happens when he is injured, or when we need decent rotation option.
Bailly looked good on the RB against Spurs and also I think he played some games in this position in La Liga. Darmian, Tuanzebe and TFM can fill the role as well.

We don't need to buy a RB right now, with much more priorities needed first.

tomaldinho1

Great stuff.

2 year contract with the option of a third? Interesting considering he's going to be 32 by the next season. Thought we only give +1 year contracts to the oldies.
We've started amassing a collection of 30+ players who are fitter than our young guns - Valencia, Ibra, Young....less so Rooney lol

liamp

Agreed. Hopefully the rumors about Semedo turn out to be correct.

abaka

Excellent news.

He lost his way a few years ago but has picked himself up and has been very consistent this year and last. I could see him being in the running for the Captaincy...Likely to play majority of games and I get the impression Mourinho likes players further back being the captain.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Excellent news. And what a nice smile in the pic with the EL trophy :smirk:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Great news, if there's anyone who's deserved a contract extention it's Antonio.

Acole9

Outstanding
Good news, I thought he'd renewed a few months ago but oh well.

RepardReece

We'll need him next season. Been a major key player for this last season, was fully expecting a contract extension. Possibly the best RB in the Premier League at this moment in time.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Brilliant! Once Carrick and Rooney leave, I think he'll be our oldest player (time at club).
Buy Fabinho as cover and we're sorted.