Antonio Valencia retires

032Devil

Valencia posted on Twitter: “Aged 14, as a child, I left my family, my town and my first team, Caribe Junior, to travel to Quito. I travelled with a lot of nostalgia but full of dreams and hope.

“I want to thank my second club, El Nacional, who opened the door for me and gave me a great opportunity. I even remember the first time I was called up to the Ecuador national team and I felt how important it is to defend for my country.

“I was able to travel to Europe, which I would never have dreamed of. I played in Villarreal and Recreativo de Huelva, and then arrived at my second home: England.

“Wigan was a unique experience and God gave me the opportunity to come to Manchester United and be their captain.

“Then I returned to Ecuador, to the University Sports League, and now, I finish my career in Queretaro de Mexico. I have been able to play the tournaments in those countries, the Copa Libertadores, the Champions League, the UEFA Cup, and many other important tournaments. I have lifted trophies and lamented defeats. I could also feel with emotion what it means to represent my country in two World Cups.

“I want to thank everyone who has been part of my career and my life. Firsty, to God, for always blessing me. To Zoila and my daughter Domenik who have been my support. To my parents for giving me so much. To Ecuadorians and soccer fans in the countries where I have played, thank you for your love.

“If in this career I have failed you, I apologise. I always tried to do my best. To my country and my team: thanks for everything.”

What did he achieve in his career?
Valencia moved to United in 2009 from Wigan Athletic and won two Premier League titles, an FA Cup, two League Cups, three Community Shields and the Europa League.

He was named the Players' Player of the Year in 2011-12 and again in 2016-17.

The winger left United in May 2019 having clocked up 338 appearances and scored 25 goals. He has the most Premier League appearances of any South American player with 325 to his name.

Valencia also represented his country over a 15-year spell, picking up 99 caps and 11 goals.

https://theathletic.com/news/antonio-valencia-manchester-united-retires/QqgMUpMuJD2n

Fully Fledged

Valencia posted on Twitter: “Aged 14, as a child, I left my family, my town and my first team, Caribe Junior, to travel to Quito. I travelled with a lot of nostalgia but full of dreams and hope.

“I want to thank my second club, El Nacional, who opened the door for me and gave me a great opportunity. I even remember the first time I was called up to the Ecuador national team and I felt how important it is to defend for my country.

“I was able to travel to Europe, which I would never have dreamed of. I played in Villarreal and Recreativo de Huelva, and then arrived at my second home: England.

“Wigan was a unique experience and God gave me the opportunity to come to Manchester United and be their captain.

“Then I returned to Ecuador, to the University Sports League, and now, I finish my career in Queretaro de Mexico. I have been able to play the tournaments in those countries, the Copa Libertadores, the Champions League, the UEFA Cup, and many other important tournaments. I have lifted trophies and lamented defeats. I could also feel with emotion what it means to represent my country in two World Cups.

“I want to thank everyone who has been part of my career and my life. Firsty, to God, for always blessing me. To Zoila and my daughter Domenik who have been my support. To my parents for giving me so much. To Ecuadorians and soccer fans in the countries where I have played, thank you for your love.

“If in this career I have failed you, I apologise. I always tried to do my best. To my country and my team: thanks for everything.”

What did he achieve in his career?
Valencia moved to United in 2009 from Wigan Athletic and won two Premier League titles, an FA Cup, two League Cups, three Community Shields and the Europa League.

He was named the Players' Player of the Year in 2011-12 and again in 2016-17.

The winger left United in May 2019 having clocked up 338 appearances and scored 25 goals. He has the most Premier League appearances of any South American player with 325 to his name.

Valencia also represented his country over a 15-year spell, picking up 99 caps and 11 goals.

https://theathletic.com/news/antonio-valencia-manchester-united-retires/QqgMUpMuJD2n
Good luck to him in what ever he does next. He always came across as a really nice person.

crossy1686

career ending
Fantastic professional and a solid player for us who will be a quiz question in the future when people forgot he played for us. I think I've only heard him speak once.

Dobba

Proper pro, ol' Tone. Didn't see getting his move from Wigan to United as him making it, instead working his arse off and didn't kick up a stink when he was moved back from winger to right back.

For a good 18 months, him and Rooney as a combo were bordering on unstoppable.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The thing that I never understood about Valencia was how he constantly avoided using his left foot. But then once in a while he would let one go with his left and he actually had a very good left foot. Never understood why he went out of his way to not use it most of the time. Mind you, I used to love Valencia. He was a classic winger who has one move. Kick it wide and out run his defender. LB's knew what he was going to do but they couldn't stop him. He was just too quick. I just wish he would have converted to RB earlier in his career. Nani wasn't good on the left but played there because of Valencia. I always thought Valencia at RB and Nani at RW would have been a dream partnership...

Welbeckham

I always loved him. He had some less impressive seasons, but he was always a good fooballer and a top professional.

decorativeed

Left foot retired in 2001, I think.

Good professional, but always felt a little below the standard we needed.

Last edited:

siw2007

Great servant to the club for a number of years. A top class winger in his day and became a very good right back in the latter period of his time here. Wish him all the best in retirement!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Love that Blackburn goal, just an absolute bullet strike.

His sprint against Liverpool at Anfield that set up Van Persie's penalty sticks out too. Unreal speed.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Good and solid player. A professional, too.

It's a shame he will always be remembered as Ronaldo's replacement, but he was a really good player who had some amazing seasons for us, I believe he was an example for many (but not really when it came to learning English).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One of my favourite players for a while. All the best Tony V!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I was bitter when he joined and sad when he left. In my opinion he was a great signing, he gave everything he had to offer.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He was a classic winger who has one move. Kick it wide and out run his defender. LB's knew what he was going to do but they couldn't stop him. He was just too quick. I just wish he would have converted to RB earlier in his career. Nani wasn't good on the left but played there because of Valencia. I always thought Valencia at RB and Nani at RW would have been a dream partnership...
Wow. Different times and peak form from both, so the thought had never crossed my mind somehow. You're absolutely right, unstoppable, even the very best LBs would have their work cut out.

Bwuk

Great player over the years. Would love a peak Valencia in this side.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
First couple of seasons was brilliant for us in an efficient way. Lower ceiling than Nani, but always seemed to pick the right option.

A serious injury seemed to take the edge off a bit, but still made a solid move to right back, and lasted at Manchester United as a regular for a long time.
When all is said and done, that's very hard to do, and he did it.

Shame he didn't get that 100th cap!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
First couple of seasons was brilliant for us in an efficient way. Lower ceiling than Nani, but always seemed to pick the right option.

A serious injury seemed to take the edge off a bit, but still made a solid move to right back, and lasted at Manchester United as a regular for a long time.
When all is said and done, that's very hard to do, and he did it.

Shame he didn't get that 100th cap!
He had his best season after the injury.

i agree with this. Had one great season as a winger, and then I thought his time at RB was severely overrated.

wish him well of course and I couldn’t question his effort, but his quality was lacking for most of his time with us, and we should have moved him on earlier. Although that’s not his fault that we didn’t have anyone better.

RUCK4444

Absolute beast for a few seasons. A proper tank.

He loves the club and I love him for that.

Nice one Tony, enjoy your retirement.

jem

I don't think he was, at least not at the beginning. He played a key role on a title-winning team (2010-11) and was excellent in two near-miss seasons (2009-10; 2011-12.) Admittedly, he wasn't great in the title-winning 2012-13 season.

Last edited:

0le

Good pro. Good player. All the best for the next chapter of your life Tony!

stevoc

Probably the last true right winger we signed and that was 2009. Hopefully we'll get around to replacing him sometime before 2029.

Proper Manchester United player. Worked his socks off and never stopped trying, whether he was playing Burnley or Barcelona.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Fantastic player.

Was on his wiki, can anyone explain this?

Guinness World Record for the most goals scored from a corner in 1 minute: 6 goals (shared with Matteo Darmian)

Stevondo8

The thing that I never understood about Valencia was how he constantly avoided using his left foot. But then once in a while he would let one go with his left and he actually had a very good left foot. Never understood why he went out of his way to not use it most of the time. Mind you, I used to love Valencia. He was a classic winger who has one move. Kick it wide and out run his defender. LB's knew what he was going to do but they couldn't stop him. He was just too quick. I just wish he would have converted to RB earlier in his career. Nani wasn't good on the left but played there because of Valencia. I always thought Valencia at RB and Nani at RW would have been a dream partnership...
His general refusal to use his left foot was my favourite thing about him. Made the rare occasion he did use it seem special.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He did have one top season as a winger and one as a fullback and been solid while unspectacular inbetween. Suffered horrible injury but got back and always gave his all. I can never dislike Valencia. He's done more for our club than many & many non-players or bigger stars / flops.

Shame he never learn how to play with his left or speak English but great career nevertheless.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
His general refusal to use his left foot was my favourite thing about him. Made the rare occasion he did use it seem special.
Actually had some deadly ratio for use of left foot and assists I believe. Many players before never had to use both feet too. One of many examples was Evra and he became superb fullback too although for more than one season..