Antonio Valencia to be new club captain

Hopefully he'll be like Carrick last season and not play as much. He looked so slow last night i don't know how he's going to last another season.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He's an old, respected hand but doesn't strike me as the most vocal. To be honest captaincy isn't a huge deal in football; we need leaders all over the pitch. I think Rom has shown great leadership credentials recently so that's more encouraging to me than who gets to wear the armband.

EDIT: Pogba too.

Last edited:

iKeano

Ridiculous decision. Non-English speaking Valencia who once handed the Number 7 jersey back after one season wearing it 'cause he couldn't handle the pressure.
Meanwhile video's are doing the rounds on social media of Pogba rallying the French dressing room to World Cup glory.

Classic 'My way or the high way' José - Trolling level: Grand Master.

IrishMcD

The other players he mentioned were Smalling, Young, Herrera and Mata, so we can look forward to all of them getting plenty game time next season. No mention of Pogba so people hoping he would be given more responsibility, looks like that isn't going to happen.

ChaddyP

Ridiculous decision. Non-English speaking Valencia who once handed the Number 7 jersey back after one season wearing it 'cause he couldn't handle the pressure.
Meanwhile video's are doing the rounds on social media of Pogba rallying the French dressing room to World Cup glory.

Was pogba the captain for France?

Andersons Dietician

I mean I can’t say that I’m really all that surprised by the descision as Valencia comes across as a Yes man. Maybe he isn’t and in reality he’s quite outspoken and isn’t afraid to say what he thinks if something is wrong. We really only see a very small portion of what these guys are actually like but for my money it should have been Lukaku but maybe it’s felt he hasn’t been at the club long enough to understand it.

iKeano

Was pogba the captain for France?
No. I didn't insinuate that he was.
That said, he's shown more leadership qualities on the pitch and in those dressing room speeches than Valencia has in the entirety of last season and his whole Utd career.

littlepeasoup

Pogba isn't even captain of his country, so why does it matter? Some players will be leaders on and off the pitch regardless of the band on their arm. Rom was properly geeing up Belgium during the World Cup. Is he their captain? No. It does not matter.

vangagal

Hopefully he follow Carrick last season by leave the club at the end of this season. I'm not wishing him bad or else but i've had enough of him being RB already.
Tbh, we dont have enough captain material in squad. Everyone has their plus minus and no ones standout than others for me.

Snafu17

He has been captain last season already. I'm not sure why did people expect that to change.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I don't know why people make such a big fuss over this. It's nothing more than a token gesture these days given to an experienced player.

iKeano

Pogba isn't even captain of his country, so why does it matter? Some players will be leaders on and off the pitch regardless of the band on their arm. Rom was properly geeing up Belgium during the World Cup. Is he their captain? No. It does not matter.
Exactly, Rom & Pogba are more suitable for captains in my opinion than Valencia. I lost count of the instances last season at OT when the younger players needed a captain and leader on the field and Valencia was just shying away from it all. Someone else hit the nail on the head inhere when they said he's probably just a yes man for José.

ChaddyP

That said, he's shown more leadership qualities on the pitch and in those dressing room speeches than Valencia has in the entirety of last season and his whole Utd career.

So basically you're saying you can give your brave heart style speeches before a match without being the actual captain ? And can have quiet captains like Lloris. But still have others than can step up and motivate on and off the pitch ?

Brophs

The One and Only
Bloody hell, not getting the captaincy isn’t going to be yet another excuse put forward for Pogba to explain why he isn’t playing well, is it? We’re reaching Kawaga territory here.

iKeano

So basically you're saying you can give your brave heart style speeches before a match without being the actual captain ? And can have quiet captains like Lloris. But still have others than can step up and motivate on and off the pitch ?
No... what I'm saying is Pogba has shown more leadership qualities on the pitch and in those dressing room speeches than Valencia has in the entirety of last season and his whole Utd career.

ChaddyP

No... what I'm saying is Pogba has shown more leadership qualities on the pitch and in those dressing room speeches than Valencia has in the entirety of last season and his whole Utd career.
So whats stopping him from continueing to show those qualities. I can never for the life of me understand why you people harp on this armband like its some kind of megaphone. The sudden when someone huddles in and makes a speech the caf goes nuts and wants them as captain like it is the only way anyone can be given a chance to motivate.

sokol11

Give me a break with this Pogba for captaincy crap. For all we know he wants to swap for a new club at the first sign difficulties with the club manager. And from the videos I have seen of him before and after the final his level of maturity leaves a lot to be desired. The captain should be the leader of men, good pro, leading by example not the most loud/funny/flashy person at the club.

iHicksy

Call me crazy but i'd kinda like a captain that can speak English.

Jojo <3 Mou

Congratulations to Valencia. No doubt, it is a incredible accomplishment for him to be the captain of Manchester United. He has served the club well for almost 10 years. Obviously he won't be a longterm choice but he is an example to all of absolute dedication and professionalism. I hope that we'll have a great year with him.

ZenMaster Coltrane

Give me a break with this Pogba for captaincy crap. For all we know he wants to swap for a new club at the first sign difficulties with the club manager. And from the videos I have seen of him before and after the final his level of maturity leaves a lot to be desired. The captain should be the leader of men, good pro, leading by example not the most loud/funny/flashy person at the club.
Ah yes...the rules of behaviour spiel. All that flash doesn't fit with my eastern European sensibilities. Hide it better.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
so we are going into another season with makeshift defenders... awesome! I can't wait

Acole9

Outstanding
People get way to hung up about the captaincy, he had it for most of last season, I see no problem. As for the not speaking English brigade, of course he bloody does! Probably just not confident in front of the camera.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
For those moaning about this...

You have no clue about the internal dynamics of the squad.
You have no clue what duties Mourinho expects of his club captain.
Mourinho doesn’t subscribe to the idea that “the captain should always play”. Rooney was dropped for long periods as club captain and so was Carrick so this doesn’t mean that Valencia will play regardless of form.

It seems to be nothing more than a ceremonial role that is handed to a senior player who represents the values of the manager. Professional, hard working and loyal.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Never really cared much about who's going to be the captain tbh... Ronaldo didn't wear the armband for the majority of his games at United even though He was the most determined player We had.

But I just think if Pogba is the captain it'd help him to mature faster. Hopefully He's gonna be the vice captain, either him or Matic.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
People get way to hung up about the captaincy, he had it for most of last season, I see no problem. As for the not speaking English brigade, of course he bloody does! Probably just not confident in front of the camera.
I think the only issue people have with Valencia being captain is that it increases likelihood of him being an ever-present.

SER19

Completely worthy club captain and a huge honour for him I’m sure. He has a great story of how he achieved what he has and is coming up on ten years of service to united during which he has run himself into the ground, played through injuries and has kept a very low profile while being a warrior at united. Like him or not, he’s the correct club captain to replace carrick and the type of player I want more of.

Some of you seem utterly determined to drag negativity into the new season. If he starts failing in his role, criticise. Until then, back the bloody player.

R.E.D.

Why is this even a discussion when we have De Gea on the pitch?

FujiVice

He has the most tenure, so he gets it out of respect. But we really need to be alternating that right back position.