Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Is this journalist reliable?
Honestly mate I don't know, he has a checkmark and 20k followers, that's all we've got to go on.
I now know that he was replying to you but initially I read your response like one of those Amazon product Q&As.

"Does this toy come with batteries?"
"I don't know it was for my grandson."

Thanks, random stranger for the insight :p

Bojan Djordjic

Do we need a right winger more then a cb/rb? I’m not sure. Should be prioritising the defence and midfield first… let’s make us hard to play against and then focus on the attack later.
Very difficult to see where we get our goals next year unless we buy some creative/attacking talent. Time is going to catch up on Ronaldo eventually, Greenwood was good for ten goals in a full season and Rashford has dropped off a cliff.
I think we’ll still buy some defensive reinforcements but I’d be happier going for budget options in defence than in attack.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

His stats kinda look worrying so unless he's some great system player that elevates everyone else around him i would pass.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Very difficult to see where we get our goals next year unless we buy some creative/attacking talent. Time is going to catch up on Ronaldo eventually, Greenwood was good for ten goals in a full season and Rashford has dropped off a cliff.
I think we’ll still buy some defensive reinforcements but I’d be happier going for budget options in defence than in attack.
If ten Hag can get us playing as a team then we should score plenty of goals as teamwork out does individual brilliance. A solid defence gives us a platform to build from… keeping clean sheets means we always have a chance of winning the game with Ronaldo upfront… hopefully ten Hag can revive the real sancho and get rashford back on form. We have to be really smart and careful with our next signings after FDJ… we won’t have much to play with… it’s wether he thinks the defence needs more attention then upfront.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah, but we lost Greenwood. So now the only forward we've got with a left foot is Diallo. Tactically that would be limiting.
Obviously but look at the numbers that are being quoted, 60 mill is too much on a player that seems so underwhelming from an output perspective.

There should be better more productive options available at that price range.
(Unless as I said previous he's some great system player of sorts)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We all get excited by being linked to a player, but as soon as it gains momentum, it’s suddenly a bad move for the club and we should steer clear

Bojan Djordjic

His stats kinda look worrying so unless he's some great system player that elevates everyone else around him i would pass.
His champions league stats per 90 are very impressive. He’s in the 90+ percentile for multiple stats that are relevant to wingers including xA, progressive passes, progressive carries (98th) and even some defensive stats.

He’s also just turned 22 so has oodles off scope for improvement and he’s rapid.

PoTMS

I'd like to see a forward line of
Antony - Anthony Martial - Anthony Elanga.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
His champions league stats per 90 are very impressive. He’s in the 90+ percentile for multiple stats that are relevant to wingers including xA, progressive passes, progressive carries (98th) and even some defensive stats.

He’s also just turned 22 so has oodles off scope for improvement and he’s rapid.
Ajax overall just overperformed a bit in the ucl in my opinion, haller being an example.

I would love to have this kid on a reasonable price but 60 mill seems a bit too much.

Bojan Djordjic

Ajax overall just overperformed a bit in the ucl in my opinion, haller being an example.

I would love to have this kid on a reasonable price but 60 mill seems a bit too much.
Maybe but it’s still a good thing his form doesn’t collapse at a European level compared to domestically. Also, Haller overperformed because of the quality of chances he gets. Some of it is down to the system at Ajax and some of it was down to the quality of creators like Antony. Both could be ours next year!

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Maybe but it’s still a good thing his form doesn’t collapse at a European level compared to domestically. Also, Haller overperformed because of the quality of chances he gets. Some of it is down to the system at Ajax and some of it was down to the quality of creators like Antony. Both could be ours next year!
Good points.
In the end I think we should back ten hag do if he he wants him why not.
60 mill is just too much however, hope we lower it a bit if we're after him.

Scholsey2004

Obviously but look at the numbers that are being quoted, 60 mill is too much on a player that seems so underwhelming from an output perspective.

There should be better more productive options available at that price range.
(Unless as I said previous he's some great system player of sorts)
Left footed players are rarer though, so reasonably good ones dont tend to come up on the market often as clubs need them. I certainly wouldnt want to see us pay 60m though. 30m seems more realistic

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Good points.
In the end I think we should back ten hag do if he he wants him why not.
60 mill is just too much however, hope we lower it a bit if we're after him.
60 mil is not going to be enough to buy him.. let alone lowering it. :lol:

His CL stats are much more in line with his quality and performances than his league stats. He has also played well in the league, but his stats there are distorted because he was part of rotation in the first part of the season and got injured in the second part. He also wasnt subbed because of his performances, but simply to give other players a chance as well as to rest him for the latter part of the season or CL matches. If he'd played a full season and played 90 mins more often (which his qualities and performances also warrant), he would have scored 10-15 goals and have over 10 assists easily. He actually is a player that has efficiency.

DutchRVN

It’s a good player, can create something out of no where. But he needed a lot of chances last year in the eredivisie. And he losses the ball all the time. Still needs some more experience. But he will be a star in the future.

Abraxas

I would back the manager on this one regardless of stats. You're not really going to get a better view than a manager that has seen him every day in training. If he identifies a youngish right winger which is a position we desperately need then I would be happy to accept that without too much worry. It's just a matter of getting a good price, we shouldn't be paying silly money for players that have to transition to a major league.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’d back the manager but I’m less sure on him as a player. Love his flair and skill and I’m sure that would be entertaining but he would be extremely frustrating i think. I also truly believe a large portion of this fanbase refuse to accept flair players and get frustrated quicker than they should. Pogba, martial, Nani, hell even young Ronaldo were all so divisive I just don’t think the profile fits Utd fan expectations these days.

Erik the Red

I’d back the manager but I’m less sure on him as a player. Love his flair and skill and I’m sure that would be entertaining but he would be extremely frustrating i think. I also truly believe a large portion of this fanbase refuse to accept flair players and get frustrated quicker than they should. Pogba, martial, Nani, hell even young Ronaldo were all so divisive I just don’t think the profile fits Utd fan expectations these days.
I remember watching Ronaldo doing one too many step-overs, and getting frustrated, but undeniably he had talent and with maturity his decision making improved and although he is less entertaining now, he is way more efficient as a player. Antony is one of the most naturally gifted players around, and with the right mentor and the right attitude, he can become a superstar.

Amsterdam90s

Supports
Ajax
Left footed players are rarer though, so reasonably good ones dont tend to come up on the market often as clubs need them. I certainly wouldnt want to see us pay 60m though. 30m seems more realistic
Ajax Bought him for 20 million and a percentage when they sell him. 30 million is almost break even for them so they will just say no. Also if he plays some decent matches at the worldcup this winter his price could explode. 50 to 60 million is minimum i think.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Has he been linked with any other clubs?

glasgow 21

I remember watching Ronaldo doing one too many step-overs, and getting frustrated, but undeniably he had talent and with maturity his decision making improved and although he is less entertaining now, he is way more efficient as a player. Antony is one of the most naturally gifted players around, and with the right mentor and the right attitude, he can become a superstar.
I agree, surely the main point is a player needs to be hungry, work hard and have the right character on and off the pitch. ETH having watched him close up wouldn't be interested if Anthony didn't tick all those boxes. In his first transfer window ETH isn't going to be buying a problem. Lets face it, we have enough of them here already.

Redcy

I'm on the fence about this, his output seems a bit lacking to be honest.
wut?

Eredivise 23 games, 8 goals, 4 assists
CL 7 games, 2 goals, 4 assists

as a winger, seems reasonable to me. OK its the Eredivise but still

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm on the fence about this, his output seems a bit lacking to be honest.
Depends on context doesn't it. Is he being double marked, drawing 2 players over so his team mates get more room? Are Ajax winning because is he is a threat and making life easier for his team?

He might not directly be scoring, but is he carrying the ball, beating a man and progressing up the pitch?

Goals and assists are nice but it's not everything that's important in football. Bernardo Silva doesn't get many goals and assists either, but people think he is a great?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
wut?

Eredivise 23 games, 8 goals, 4 assists
CL 7 games, 2 goals, 4 assists

as a winger, seems reasonable to me. OK its the Eredivise but still
I was under the impression Antony is a joga bonito player. An actual winger who provides width and beats his man with trickery and pace. Not one of these pseudo inside forwards that exist everywhere (like someone like Gakpo at PSV in the same league, for example), which would explain his lower G/A tally in some way?

We need an rvn

Do we need a right winger more then a cb/rb? I’m not sure. Should be prioritising the defence and midfield first… let’s make us hard to play against and then focus on the attack later.
Why not? He looks like an exciting player .. and we haven't had an exciting player in OT for a while ..
That’s exactly why we signed sancho isn’t it?
In agreement here. I'm slightly baffled by us wanting another winger after buying Sancho for that spot, but not only that we bought Pellestri, Diallo for that position as well as having Elanga there as well.

If the stories are to go by, we have got limited cash and priority must be cm, cb and rb

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
I was under the impression Antony is a joga bonito player. An actual winger who provides width and beats his man with trickery and pace. Not one of these pseudo inside forwards that exist everywhere (like someone like Gakpo at PSV in the same league, for example), which would explain his lower G/A tally in some way?
Correct, he is.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think he'll stick it out for another campaign with Ajax and leave next summer.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In agreement here. I'm slightly baffled by us wanting another winger after buying Sancho for that spot, but not only that we bought Pellestri, Diallo for that position as well as having Elanga there as well.

If the stories are to go by, we have got limited cash and priority must be cm, cb and rb
We have the numbers on paper, but we have little proven quality. Our three most senior wingers (one of whom is a youth player who has only played 1 senior season!) all prefer the left side. The two who actually prefer to play on the right are both kids with very little senior football in their legs. I think at least one, if not both, will go back on loan.
  • Sancho (preference: left winger) — first choice;
  • Rashford (preference: left winger) — squad player, hasn’t played well in over 12 months;
  • Elanga (preference: left winger) — 20 year old youth player, played okay this season but he’s a squad player at best for now;
  • Amad (preference: right winger) — 19 years old, technically talented, but barely played senior football. Couldn’t make a real crack at Rangers.
  • Pellistri — (preference: right winger) — 20 year old, barely played senior football in La Liga for 2 seasons running.

Redcy

He actually seems to be something of a mix of both, looking at clips of him (which is always dangerous), it seems like he creates a lot of good chances in the league that seemed to be missed, his crossing and choosing the correct pass does not seem particularly off. I don't know why his assists seem slightly off tbh, I would need to see more games to see if in general his crossing is off.

Status
Not open for further replies.