Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
As a Dutchie who's seen a lot of all of them; in combination I would go for Martinez + Antony. I don't think Danjuma's got what it takes. Villarreal is his limit.

Nevertheless if you have all that money I would go all out for De Ligt instead of Martinez and just leave Antony for what it is. With Sancho, Rashford, Martial and Elanga you have 4 options and Bruno could also play from the wing. Antony would be another option and if he would be brought in I'm sure he'd be a starter in many games. I however don't consider the wing position as a position where you need a player the most.

De Ligt would have the biggest impact of all those players, therefore I would go all out for him (and Frenkie) and then see what's left to strengthen other positions.
I don't think De Ligt would have biggest impact, we don't have left footed right winger. That's one position which just upsets the balance of the team where we have to play players who just can't play that position.

On the basis alone Antony will have bigger impact.

Xaviboy

I’ll be very surprised if we sign five players this summer

Tyrell, Eriksen, De Jong, Martinez and Antony all in one window? That’s basically half a new team:eek:
What we need after seeing that squad announced to go tour.

Best getting that number in this window if we can plus 3 out of them already know Ten Hag system and what is expected.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
About as absurd as suggesting he's Mane level. Yeah I've seen him play. You only have to watch a 5 minute highlight video to see the limitations in his game. Mane can breeze past people with his pace and dribbling ability, Antony can't. He's closer to Sancho / Lallana in the sense that he's very good on the ball, can do a silky little dribble / pass but won't be running past static defences.
Funny you would say that, because I thought the same. But watching their stats from CL gives another impression. Antony beat his man more often per 90 min (very similar success rate) and had way higher progressive distance carried. He also had more carries into the penalty area and made way more passes into the penalty area than Mane.

Manes biggest edge on Antony was pressures in the final third. But the most remarkable statistic on Antony is recoveries per 90 min. He makes 8,28 recoveries per 90 min. (Mane is at 4,51 recoveries per 90 min.)

While I find Antony a bit frustrating when I watch him play, his stats is actually remarkable in several areas;

- How progressive he is (both carries and passing)
- How often he moves the ball into the penalty area (both passes completed and carries)
- How often he recovers the ball,
- How rarely he lose the ball (very few miscontrols or dispossessed compared to Mane)

In combination, I think this makes him quite exciting.

Last edited:

Idxomer

About as absurd as suggesting he's Mane level. Yeah I've seen him play. You only have to watch a 5 minute highlight video to see the limitations in his game. Mane can breeze past people with his pace and dribbling ability, Antony can't. He's closer to Sancho / Lallana in the sense that he's very good on the ball, can do a silky little dribble / pass but won't be running past static defences.
Weren't you a big fan of Grealish?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Funny you would say that, because I thought the same. But watching their stats from CL gives another impression. Antony beat his man more often per 90 min (very similar success rate) and had way higher progressive distance carried. He also had more carries into the penalty area and made way more passes into the penalty area than Mane.

Manes biggest edge on Antony was pressures in the final third. But the most remarkable statistic on Antony is recoveries per 90 min. He makes 8,28 recoveries per 90 min. (Mane is at 4,51 recoveries per 90 min.)
:)

Vapor trail

Anthony is definitely a quick player there's been a few post (online) saying that the pace of the team would be hindered, I don't see how people have come to this conclusion. He looks in highlights faster than Sancho and the more recent Rashford, not as quick as Marcus before his back injury however.

marktan

While I find Antony a bit frustrating when I watch him play, his stats is actually remarkable in several areas;

- How progressive he is (both carries and passing)
- How often he moves the ball into the penalty area (both passes completed and carries)
- How often he recovers the ball,
- How rarely he lose the ball (very few miscontrols or dispossessed compared to Mane)

In combination, I think this makes him quite exciting.
Tbf I haven't see his full performances in the CL, I did for Sancho and it showed his weaknesses quite a bit, I don't care enough to watch it for Antony. Hopefully it works out since we need a good RW but I can't shake the feeling from watching him play that he'll be more in the slower Mikhi style mould. From watching his 21/211 assists + goals the thing that stood out is just how poor the defending was. Most of the goals were him cutting inside and getting a free hit at goal.

Also one thing that stood out from watching his highlight videos is how he rarely took a player on to the outside, preferring to cut inside, and just how unexplosive his dribbling is compared to someone like Mane or Dembele. I'm not sure that'll translate very well to the PL in a similar way it didn't for Sancho.

Also a google shows me his CL opponents this year were Sporting, Besiktas, Dortmund and Benfica. Last year it was Pool, Atlanta and Midgetland and they got knocked out. So yeah for me anyway a lot of question marks. Especially a big price point.

Weren't you a big fan of Grealish?
What's the relevance? I still like him, he's said himself he's had to limit himself as Pep doesn't like the higher risk dribbling style. I think he would've been a better fit at United.

Idxomer

What's the relevance? I still like him, he's said himself he's had to limit himself as Pep doesn't like the higher risk dribbling style. I think he would've been a better fit at United.
He has similar limitations to Sancho. He isn't pacy, doesn't leave defenders in the mud and his best quality is also picking great passes in the final third.

marktan

He has similar limitations to Sancho. He isn't pacy, doesn't leave defenders in the mud and his best quality is also picking great passes in the final third.
He is similar but I think most of his abilities are in general on a higher level, hence why I would've preferred him if given the choice between the two, and not say Grealish vs Mane. His dribbling I think is better than Sanchos - e.g. against Real when he came on in about 5 minutes he twice beat defenders and almost scored. He becomes more of a cog in that City side asked to do a specific thing, whereas I think for United he could've played more like he did at Villa and take on more of the creative burdnen. But anyway a pointless discussion since they both are where they are.

NoPace

Didn't watch the game, but from what I know about Nunez, he tends to love the left channel, which would be Ajax's right side.... Did you get mixed up or did he switch sides in that game?
He does prefer the left, but if I remember the goal that won the tie, it came from him bullying an Ajax defender on a set piece that he had won with some strength and pace down the Ajax left off a goal kick.

NoPace

(video the post above)
I'm personally for the signing because he coped as basically the lone CB a fair amount of the time when they defended like a diamond, and I really think Maguire and Varane should be seen as one RCB since Maguire looks more comfy in possession there and Varane needs to probably only play once a week (and so many games thick and fast this season), but they did lose a tie they dominated because they couldn't create enough great chances and got done on the break.

Mr PG

I don't think Anthony can hold a candle to the level of talent Mane had / has. It's more like Lallana unless he massively improves for United.
oh please. Mane’s a bit of an overrated workaholic. There’s a reason he’s going for £35m

Rolaholic

oh please. Mane’s a bit of an overrated workaholic. There’s a reason he’s going for £35m
Not sure how you can score 120 goals over 6 seasons and be considered overrated.

Would absolutely love Antony in the side but he hasn't shown what Mane did at Soton in a tougher league yet. There's a reason LVG was desperate for him.

He went for a decent fee because of his age and the fact that he had a year left on his contract. Under normal circumstances they could've realistically quoted double for him and gotten interest but they let him go for cheap out of goodwill more than anything.

Age plays a big factor with these valuations, it's why Ajax value Antony so highly and why we might see the likes of Lewandowski go for less than 60m potentially despite being arguably the best goalscorer in the world in recent years.

Kxng Ander

No.9 transfer is outlier, because option is so rare. Other than that, in EPL, here are some transfers already or almost done,
Richardson: 60m
Bissouma: 25m
Jesus: 45m
Phillips: 45m
Sterling: 45m (rough est.)

Pre-pandemic: ziyech : 34m

now, it’s the recovery period for every club. It seems to me the transfer fee have regressed to reflect the economic situation.
If Richarlison is £60M then Ajax is going to think the same for Antony. I wish we'd move quickly with our business instead of trying to get bargains because I feel like that way you can hit them with a price they can't refuse before they see what's going on in the market. Ajax is in a position where they can wait so it's not looking good for us.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Reading this forum one could think United is participating in a relay race, not a football league

dinostar77

Reading this forum one could think United is participating in a relay race, not a football league
Also we are switching from being a low block counterattack team to a possession based/high press team. But that escapes some people....

Bojan Djordjic

Not sure how you can score 120 goals over 6 seasons and be considered overrated.

Would absolutely love Antony in the side but he hasn't shown what Mane did at Soton in a tougher league yet. There's a reason LVG was desperate for him.

He went for a decent fee because of his age and the fact that he had a year left on his contract. Under normal circumstances they could've realistically quoted double for him and gotten interest but they let him go for cheap out of goodwill more than anything.

Age plays a big factor with these valuations, it's why Ajax value Antony so highly and why we might see the likes of Lewandowski go for less than 60m potentially despite being arguably the best goalscorer in the world in recent years.
To be fair Mané's goal scoring rate per 90 for Southampton didn't see much of a decline on his RB Salzburg days. While it's intuitive that a forward's production declines as they move up a level, Antony is already a proven Champion's League player and has loads of scope to improve his game given his age.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I hope we find a way to bring this guy in, having lost Greenwood we'll need someone that can create something down that right flank, it was torture watching Elanga and Rashford playing out there last season.

croadyman

Do people think this deal will go dead now if Ronaldo does stay, yes know they play different position but wasn't there an article about a move for him hinging on Ronaldo leaving

Joeycha88

Do people think this deal will go dead now if Ronaldo does stay, yes know they play different position but wasn't there an article about a move for him hinging on Ronaldo leaving
It shouldn’t but I just don’t think we will have the budget to add him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think it's dead more due to Ajax's asking price than anything else.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wonder if we might still try for a free agent RW like Dembele/Dybala late in the window
Yeah I wonder too, I think we might move for Dybala depending on the Ronaldo situation. We're weirdly quiet on the attacker front outside Anthony.

croadyman

Yeah I wonder too, I think we might move for Dybala depending on the Ronaldo situation. We're weirdly quiet on the attacker front outside Anthony.
Personally feel we should sign a left footed RW no matter what happens with Ronaldo, we haven't got one in the squad

Woziak

Anyone watching the training modules today of 7 vs 7 would know that ETH likes quick incisive passing basically he likes to attack with 7 players, The 2 CBs sit and one of the FB sits to make a 3 while the other becomes inverted playmaker. He likes his wingers to come inside and was heard bellowing it out today that means Rashford, Martial from the left and Sancho, A Dialo currently from the right with Antony high up on his request for that reason to give an upgrade. Luke shaw and Dalot today in the exercise we’re almost the wingers and Sancho, Rashford, Martial all in the width of the penalty area. Yes Sancho is right foot preferred but he’s pretty much as two footed and with one of the best technique in the squad. Antony is not a priority, ETH wants him but he’s still injured. FDJ is his main priority because now it’s clear what his team will be ; D D Gea, Dalot, H Maguire or R Varane, L Martinez, L Shaw, FDJ, C Eriksen or DVB, Bruno, Rashford, Ronaldo, Sancho. My concern is we have the weakest bench and striker options in a season when it will be the most important part of the game with the new 5 sub rule and 9 named subs. He wants FDJ, DVB, CE to run his engine and he will work with Fred more than Mctominay who could be sold if he can raise 30-40M.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yeah we can try and get him next season for less money I suppose. I don't see the sense in overpaying when we can try out Pellestri and/or Diallo.

Jacob

This will not happen. The money touted for him is way over the top. Especially if striker and DM supposedly are higher priority.

Telsim

This will not happen. The money touted for him is way over the top. Especially if striker and DM supposedly are higher priority.
It would seem they are not. DM has been ruled out and a dedicates striker was never mentioned, just "an attacking player".

But I don't see this happening either as Ajax have priced Antony out of the market. But we desperately need a forward and so far we haven't been linked to anyone else.

Aeryis

Not really, Especially not if you define "pace" as "quicker than Antony".
Yes, really. I define "pace" as being able to outpace your fullback for take ons, which is something Antony can't do most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.