Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

Where is the 100m bid coming from?

The last we heard is we got an 80m bid rejected.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
You just answered your own question. 1 year left and a player who no longer wants to be at the club. Context my friend.
Ffs look at what the likes of Bergwijn went for, how is it even debatable that a 100m obviously obscene for an attacker from the Dutch league. feck it, let’s sign him and then realise we’ve been rinsed as we do with every damn signing.

Superunknown

For the fee mentioned, rather have Carrasco, one of the RBs we're linked with and maybe even a backup CF/midfielder
I quite like Carrasco. The danger is though with that sort of "for this price, we could get 3 players" mentality is that we could be filling the squad with more average players, who end up costing us more in the longer term, and doesn't actually address the real problem in the first place. We definitely need players in, but we can't half arse it either and just go for cheap options.

I think many of us were prepared for this to be a huge window, because so much needed fixing. With that in mind, the idea of paying bigger money for players is one that I'm beginning to stomach, purely for the reason that we have holes that need to be filled for the long term. Do we want to be in the position where we need to go into the market again next season for another winger, because the stopgap we bought hasn't worked out?

Chief123

Ffs look at what the likes of Bergwijn went for, how is it even debatable that a 100m obviously obscene for an attacker from the Dutch league. feck it, let’s sign him and then realise we’ve been rinsed as we do with every damn signing.
Talk about being hyperbole. Who said 100m? We’re talking about him being worth more than 40m.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I quite like Carrasco. The danger is though with that sort of "for this price, we could get 3 players" mentality is that we could be filling the squad with more average players, who end up costing us more in the longer term, and doesn't actually address the real problem in the first place. We definitely need players in, but we can't half arse it either and just go for cheap options.

I think many of us were prepared for this to be a huge window, because so much needed fixing. With that in mind, the idea of paying bigger money for players is one that I'm beginning to stomach, purely for the reason that we have holes that need to be filled for the long term. Do we want to be in the position where we need to go into the market again next season for another winger, because the stopgap we bought hasn't worked out?
Some very good points. I have absolutely no issue with Casemiro's fee, because we all know how good he is. I just don't see it with Antony (or Gakpo for that matter). Sancho looked twice the player in the Bundesliga at younger age, and it's still up in the air if he'll come good here.

So yeah, spending the money on three safer bets has lesser chance of brilliant success, but also lesser risk of total failure, since the chance of at least 1/3 coming good is just bigger

Superunknown

Some very good points. I have absolutely no issue with Casemiro's fee, because we all know how good he is. I just don't see it with Antony (or Gakpo for that matter). Sancho looked twice the player in the Bundesliga at younger age, and it's still up in the air if he'll come good here.

So yeah, spending the money on three safer bets has lesser chance of brilliant success, but also lesser risk of total failure, since the chance of at least 1/3 coming good is just bigger
I have the same reservations about Antony and Gakpo that you do. For the money that we're looking to pay, I feel that we need to be getting a lot for that cost, either with goals or assists. Those numbers don't seem to back up the price. Unless Antony has that ability to add goals and assists to his game and develop into that type of forward, which then puts the emphasis on our coaches and staff. I just don't know.

I feel that to get the best out of both Sancho and Antony, we're one CF light.

BlueDutch

Supports
Chelsea
Who gives a fiddlers f**k, get him in.
Antony is worth 50 million at most. United and Ten Hag have become desperate after the bad start. Do you ever want United to win trophies? That's not going to happen if you buy players like Antony and Gakpo.

NLunited

Yeah crazy if we sign him. Such a limited player, all he has is speed, dribbling, creativity, goal threat, great passing both short & long, good at crossing, pressing, good in the air, tracks back and played under Ten Hag.

Do not want.

AneRu

Where is the 100m bid coming from?

The last we heard is we got an 80m bid rejected.
Even the €80m is a bit too much surely everyone inside the club must see this! Go for the Gapko lad and use the rest to a ball progressing midfielder, next season Ajax will sell for a reasonable fee. If we arent careful we will let another manager walk us into a couple of expensive mistakes before we have even finsished dealing with Jose and Ole's.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Bergwijn (who could not score a goal in PL) has 4 goals in 3 games for Ajax already. Now i am worried a little about Antony's end product. In that league, his numbers should be much higher.

Still want him though :wenger:

Bobski

Bergwijn (who could not score a goal in PL) has 4 goals in 3 games for Ajax already. Now i am worried a little about Antony's end product. In that league, his numbers should be much higher.

You would think that after Depay and Donny we might be a little more hesitant at throwing big money on players from that league.

BlueDutch

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah crazy if we sign him. Such a limited player, all he has is speed, dribbling, creativity, goal threat, great passing both short & long, good at crossing, pressing, good in the air, tracks back and played under Ten Hag.

Do not want.
Antony has scored 9 goals in the Eredivisie in his first season and 8 goals in the second season. He plays for the most attacking, dominant team in a weak league against very bad defenders. He will be exposed in the Premier League.

DevilRed

At 100million? You don't think we have other priorities?
Why should money even matter? Our owners took more than a billion out the club.

Now we are suffering. If anything, they should be coming out their own pocket for the extra 100m or 200m or whatever it takes to give us a team that can win trophies.

We are in NO position to negotiate or make "good deals". You can only do that from a position of being a top trophy winning club. When we get there and have built a worthy team, is when we can "save" money.

marktan

Why should money even matter? Our owners took more than a billion out the club.

Now we are suffering. If anything, they should be coming out their own pocket for the extra 100m or 200m or whatever it takes to give us a team that can win trophies.

We are in NO position to negotiate or make "good deals". You can only do that from a position of being a top trophy winning club. When we get there and have built a worthy team, is when we can "save" money.
This logic makes no sense, instead of overpaying and spending 500m on 5 okay players, you could scout properly and sign 10 50m players of the same calibre.

Antony has no guarantee of success and is a 50m player at best, spending so much on him means we'll have less money for other transfers / will be more likely to keep around if he's crap because we can't move him on.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
This is what happens when you goof around until the end if the window, very little room for negotiating left especially once selling clubs see you fail miserably in the first few matches and they can smell the fear.

Ten Hag gave United his wishlist, but the scouting department should have presented the board with alternatives of a similar profile in case the players the manager wants aren't available. Or you end up what United always does, attempt to solve a problem by throwing money at it, paying whatever the selling club wants and/or on players that are totally different from what the manager wanted.

The entire lot should have been thrown out at the end of last season.

NLunited

Antony has scored 9 goals in the Eredivisie in his first season and 8 goals in the second season. He plays for the most attacking, dominant team in a weak league against very bad defenders. He will be exposed in the Premier League.
Like Rafinha?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This logic makes no sense, instead of overpaying and spending 500m on 5 okay players, you could scout properly and sign 10 50m players of the same calibre.

Antony has no guarantee of success and is a 50m player at best, spending so much on him means we'll have less money for other transfers / will be more likely to keep around if he's crap because we can't move him on.
Its the cutting off one's nose to spite one's face logic.

Reyoji-Utd

Serious question, is it just us United fans that keep thinking and arguing about transfer fees or others such as Barca or Madrid do too?

I see that the player might not worth this fee now but who else that we can go and buy and have the type of profile and understanding that EtH wants for his tactics. Sure maybe we dont buy him because of the fees and go for Gakpo but i think hes even worse than Antony.

Fans now seems to focus only on stats nowadays, and i believe that has to do with alot of us dont watch a lot more matches like old times and with the influx of Stats and social media. People using those stats to prove their point but dont consider the context and the whole profile of players. Stats are good but then you can manipulate the Stats to make any point you try to make.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

This is spot on. Antony could be sensational in the premier league, but he could just as well be a complete dud. Bergwijn is far too good for the Dutch league, much better than Antony (older too) and did almost nothing in the premier league.

80 million is a ridiculous fee. 50 should be the max and even that is pushing it. I get that Ajax want the jackpot, they don't want to sell him, but Antony is not nearly consistent enough to be anything, but an exciting gamble.

avgp_1

Has had some fine performances in the CL. He is not so unproven as people here think. Look not just for his G+A, even against Benfica when he had neither he was probably the most creative on the pitch

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This is spot on. Antony could be sensational in the premier league, but he could just as well be a complete dud. Bergwijn is far too good for the Dutch league, much better than Antony (older too) and did almost nothing in the premier league.

80 million is a ridiculous fee. 50 should be the max and even that is pushing it. I get that Ajax want the jackpot, they don't want to sell him, but Antony is not nearly consistent enough to be anything, but an exciting gamble.
Yeah, exactly that. I always look what is primary for each position. For winger it is great that he is pacey, has flair, plays defence etc.....but at the end; for winger/inside forward goals and assists are the ones which is primary thing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

he didn’t really do nothing. He actually scored quite a lot of clutch goals for tottenham. Remember the leicester game?

it’s just he wasn’t better than son and kane in a 352 formation. it happens.

if he played anywhere else he would have fared better

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Bergwiin had to operate in a conte wingback system though, wasnt suitable to his game either

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
he didn’t really do nothing. He actually scored quite a lot of clutch goals for tottenham. Remember the leicester game?

it’s just he wasn’t better than son and kane in a 352 formation. it happens.

if he played anywhere else he would have fared better
Fair enough, his debut goal against City was awesome too. Seeing him in Oranje I kind of wonder if he shouldn't have gotten a bit more chances in favor of maybe Moura.

Though Moura has made some clutch goals as well. Especially in a certain CL semi final :wenger:

Bergwijn is far stronger physically than Antony though. I also see Antony picking up a few redcards after being kicked about. He came close against Malacia in 2 games when he was being bullied and Malacia is tiny.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Antony 20/21: 9 goals, 8 assists, 1762 min.
Antony 21/22: 8 goals, 4 assists, 1724 min.

Di Maria 08/09: 2 goals, 1 assist, 1241 min.
Di Maria 09/10: 5 goals, 11 assists, 2249 min.

Stats for both players at around the same age as per Fbref. These being Di Maria's two seasons at Benfica right before he joined Madrid.

Given I think we'd generally be very pleased if we signed Antony and he turned out to be as good a footballer as Di Maria, judging players based on their output in weaker leagues is a very limited measure.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Stats for both players at around the same age as per Fbref. These being Di Maria's two seasons at Benfica right before he joined Madrid.

Given I think we'd generally be very pleased if we signed Antony and he turned out to be as good a footballer as Di Maria, judging players based on their output in weaker leagues is a very limited measure.
Unless he performs like Di Maria did at United :nervous:

Superunknown

Unless he performs like Di Maria did at United :nervous:
It was frustrating because he started off very well. All seemed to go downhill after that 5-3 loss to Leicester. He looked brilliant that game, it's just a shame that this was the peak.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

Di Maria was shit as a winger for Real, hence he got shifted to the middle where he had one very good season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Di Maria was shit as a winger for Real, hence he got shifted to the middle where he had one very good season.
As a winger he knocked out, for example, 5 goals and 14 assists for Madrid in the 11/12 league season. That's more assists than anyone got in the PL last season.

If that's shit then I wish our players were that sort of shit.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Right. But maybe, just maybe, when your only striker options are unreliable and injured Martial and 37 year old Ronaldo who is desperately trying to leave - maybe you are not in the best position to negotiate? Esp when there are pretty much no other available top stikers willing to join a shitshow that just lost 4:0 to Brentford and to Brighton before that

We pay premium for being run by a bunch of morons and that's basically it. But as a fan - I couldnt care less how much we pay for somebody. I care EtH having good players so he can do something to get us out of this shit

Last edited:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It was frustrating because he started off very well. All seemed to go downhill after that 5-3 loss to Leicester. He looked brilliant that game, it's just a shame that this was the peak.
I still think in case of Di Maria the problem was Van Gaal. There were many other signings we screwed up (*cough* Sanchez) but Di Maria failed mostly because Van Gaal was being a jerk with him

DevilRed

Whos going for 50m? Morgan Gibbs White? Its 2022. Not 2002.

Antony is not guaranteed to be successful. Nobody is. But he sure as shite looks like he has the potential to be one of the worlds best attackers in the future.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Whos going for 50m? Morgan Gibbs White? Its 2022. Not 2002.

Antony is not guaranteed to be successful. Nobody is. But he sure as shite looks like he has the potential to be one of the worlds best attackers in the future.
Sterling, Jesus, Bissouma, just as a small example

Status
Not open for further replies.