Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Another factor is the exchange rate. For the Antony transfer or any signing from Holland, since 2005 it was around 1.5 GBP to the Euro. Now it's 1.1

We are playing a shitload more Euros for this transfer that it would have been in 2005 for example. If you think this doesn't matter to a football club our size I think there's a few employees at the club that would disagree with you. We're paying a feck tonne of money. I hope it works out.
The biggest factor is always the market itself.

MrSingh2002

:lol: So Rooney and Rio would only cost about £40m would they?

Funny that a 33 year old Ronaldo cost Juve over £100m then isn't it?
Do you think Antony is in the same bracket as a young Rio or Rooney?

He's nowhere near but we're about to spend £85m on him.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I wonder if there is any chance he'd be available for Southampton. Unlikely but bringing him on in a tight game would be very helpful. These type of players can have near immediate impact, he is skillful and unpredictable.

GloryHunter07

I‘m getting sick of the incessant moaning of certain pathetic individuals.

-Darwin Nunez goes to Pool for 100 mill and you moan: Why didn‘t we get him?
-Antony may cost 90+ million and you moan: It‘s too much, we are always overpaying.

-Frenkie de Jong wanted to stay at Barça and you moan: he doesn‘t want to come here we don‘t want him.
-Antony wants to come here and you moan:
we don‘t want him.

-Frenkie de Jong is a priority target and you moan: he is not a true dm.
-Casemiro, the best dm in the world comes here and you moan: he is not a playmaker.

Should I go on? You Miserable fecking cnuts!?
Bravo!

OverratedOpinion

Don't want to derail the thread but Richarlison stats for last two seasons (in Premiership ) - 40 apps, 13 goals and 33 apps and 11 goals. Antony in last two seasons in Dutch league - 46 apps 11 goals and 35 apps 12 goals. I know that is only part of the story but if you think Richarlison is average then what do you think of Antony?
I think the point is we already pretty much know Richarlison's level (not that players can't improve at any time).

The hope would be Antony surpasses that quite considerably. Whether it happens or not feck knows but I think signings like this are generally a bit more exciting due to the unknown factor.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think the point is we already pretty much know Richarlison's level (not that players can't improve at any time).

The hope would be Antony surpasses that quite considerably. Whether it happens or not feck knows but I think signings like this are generally a bit more exciting due to the unknown factor.
Yeah I get that though I would have expected a bit more from him in the Dutch league to give an indication he can step it up in a much tougher league. Time will tell and I'll be watching on with interest to see how he does.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I‘m getting sick of the incessant moaning of certain pathetic individuals.

-Darwin Nunez goes to Pool for 100 mill and you moan: Why didn‘t we get him?
-Antony may cost 90+ million and you moan: It‘s too much, we are always overpaying.

-Frenkie de Jong wanted to stay at Barça and you moan: he doesn‘t want to come here we don‘t want him.
-Antony wants to come here and you moan:
we don‘t want him.

-Frenkie de Jong is a priority target and you moan: he is not a true dm.
-Casemiro, the best dm in the world comes here and you moan: he is not a playmaker.

Should I go on? You Miserable fecking cnuts!?
Hear hear

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire

Posh Red

Don't want to derail the thread but Richarlison stats for last two seasons (in Premiership ) - 40 apps, 13 goals and 33 apps and 11 goals. Antony in last two seasons in Dutch league - 46 apps 11 goals and 35 apps 12 goals. I know that is only part of the story but if you think Richarlison is average then what do you think of Antony?
Is Richarlison not more of a striker though, with Antony being an out and out winger?

Nights

Atletico paid over 100m pounds for Felix as a potential world class teenager; that’s a more apt comparison to Rooney‘a transfer fee.

Club revenues have far exceeeded inflation for some time (discounting Covid) and the presence of the oil clubs have further distorted it. You honestly think a young Rooney regen today would go for 40m pounds (based on your Ronaldo inflation figures)?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Is Richarlison not more of a striker though, with Antony being an out and out winger?
Yes, he's a centre forward/ left forward and not what we need anyway.

Doesnt make any sense to compare him with Antony.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Let me ask you this. In the past, say, decade, what have you thought about our transfer business?
Not great. There you have it, your decade of repetition in two words.

Now let me ask you this, what effect has all your whinging had apart from making these boards worse?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not great. There you have it, your decade of repetition in two words.

Now let me ask you this, what effect has all your whinging had apart from making these boards worse?
I've added contrary opinions that have promoted discussion on a website dedicated to promoting discussion amongst Manchester United fans.

tbtt

WUM
Richarlison is not a left-footed RW that United is looking for. You said he can play anywhere in front three, but he's not better than any of three forwards. Basically you paid £60m for a backup forward, which is a weird investment.

Kulusevski is more comparable, and a great signing too.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Yes but highlighting that doesn’t fit with the point they’re trying to make…

RedDevilRoshi

How much do you think Rio and Rooney would have costed in todays market because it certainly wouldn’t have been anywhere near the fees we paid for them 20 odd years ago.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
From what I've seen (not much tbh), Antony usually stays wide so I would not expect him to put in high numbers in terms of goals. Assists is something I'm more concerned about.

mattunited1978

doommonger
You don’t even sound half convincing at all and you know that.

Comparing them at same age is rather meaningless here. Liverpool isn’t paying 37.5m (+12.5m add on) for 22 year old version of Diaz, they are paying for a far more established version of Diaz who just scored 14 goals in 18 league games for Porto, and who also has very high dribbling stats and average rating too.

As of this moment, Antony is nothing like that. His stats in Dutch league is underwhelming. He has nothing to justify for that amount of money at all. We are purely buying a player for his potential/talent alone. No one ever pay that amount of money for an attacker with similar stats/standing as Antony before. We are probably the first.
Im not trying to sound convincing, i want to sign him, its a lot of money, but im not arsed about the price, im not arsed about what Liverpool payed for Diaz, dont care if people have the same opinion or not.

You were posting incorrect stats to back up your opinion, which tells me you are trying to convince people that your opinion is the only correct one.

If age is meaningless here then why make a point of stating there ages in your previous post which Roonster09 called you out on? Not only have you proved to be wrong, or lied, about what the players were doing at certain ages, you are now being contradictory.

Skills

Snitch
From what I've seen (not much tbh), Antony usually stays wide so I would not expect him to put in high numbers in terms of goals. Assists is something I'm more concerned about.
I'm sure the 4 he provided last season were worth 20m a pop

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Not to mention he's saved less penalties that de Gea! I can't understand why we'd want someone so inept.

Von Mistelroum

Looks like this lad and a reserve keeper are the only targets we're looking at now, so let's get on board with Antony and not worry about the fee! It's him or nobody at this point and I do not think our attack looks particularly dangerous if we sign nobody else... So all aboard the Antony train!

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That is the concern indeed.
He had 4 in 7 games in the CL.

His Eredivisie assist tally last season has been an anomaly. The season before he had more, and even this season he already has 2 assists in 2 games.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
How tall is he?
Roughly speaking, the same height as Lisandro Martínez; 174cm or so.

Other forwards in that range: Neymar, Salah, Mané, Hazard and Vinícius.

dal

The exchange rate is a fair point though but im sure united must work with financial institutions to maybe hedge that risk out, options on fx swaps etc.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm sure the 4 he provided last season were worth 20m a pop
That is the concern indeed.
Stats are always useless without context. If Anthony is drawing 3 defenders over to his wing the whole game which helps the other players score more, that's just as effective as having a tap in.

Of course that won't get recorded in the stats though. Antony is a magnet to defenders, and just as importantly a great ball carrier and progresser.

I'd rather have this than 5 more goals stat padded by penalties.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
So you’re saying football is more than goal/assist statistics? How dare you!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He had 4 in 7 games in the CL.

His Eredivisie assist tally last season has been an anomaly. The season before he had more, and even this season he already has 2 assists in 2 games.
IMO what we're missing is someone to run with the ball, create havoc in opposition, draw some fouls. Sancho is not willing to do that because he lacks explosive acceleration, Rashford is not capable of doing it because his close control is random, so if Antony is in this "Sterling" bracket (he used to be not-so-productive but very useful) then I'm all for it.

Stats are always useless without context. If Anthony is drawing 3 defenders over to his wing the whole game which helps the other players score more, that's just as effective as having a tap in.

Of course that won't get recorded in the stats though. Antony is a magnet to defenders, and just as importantly a great ball carrier and progresser.

I'd rather have this than 5 more goals stat padded by penalties.
Exactly what I'm thinking. I wouldn't bother about the stats for his position/role. And I think we badly need that kind of player.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Your argument was Ronaldo would only as much as inflation from 2008 > 2022. Meaning going by that logic, so would Rio and Rooney. So according to you, they'd only be £40m, not what Antony is costing. It's baffling and just plain wrong logic so I hope you're trolling cause I don't know how anyone could be that ... well ... yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.