Any Glazer supporters on here?

MrBest

I despise them so much I can't even joke that I like them

Charlie Foley

There’s a Thai restaurant in my town that does incredible donuts in the morning. Best glazed donut I’ve ever had. Don’t know their glazer but big fan of their work

theatreofdreams777

Lets make a poll.

If you saw either Joel or Avram Glazer choking on food in a restaurant would you:

A. Do the heimlich maneuver and save him.
B. Pretend to be blind and let him choke out.
C. Make a big diversion and go to the middle of restaurant and sing a acoustic version of Take Me Home United Road while he keeps choking.
D. I'd call Sir Jim Ratcliffe to save him.

AlexUTD

It's football.

So you let a man died because you don't like his choice of DOF?
So you only think that the Glazers not hiring a real DoF is the only problem with the them? :houllier:

Can you heimlich as an excuse to beat on him a bit and then say “oh well I tried” and let him choke anyway? :wenger:
Lets call that option D :lol:

A very good one i might add!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
hoping they buy another club when they’ve gone, as i don’t want to be an orphaned fan.

Crashoutcassius

I don't think there are any fans.

I do think people are putting too much expectation on them leaving. We have spent huge sums of money and we have appointed a dof in the last few years. The idea that Joel Glazer hums of transfers is tabloid nonsense.

People expected a massive up tick in performances when ddg left last year. This is just the new ddg for this season. One thing is always identified as holding us back .. it has been ed Woodward in the past and then Maguire.

The glazers are the biggest problem at the club over a long period of time. But it will take a long time to unwind that. The ownership change won't make a blind bit of differences to the performance over the first year or two, is my expectation.

In the short term the main problem is ten hag not able to get performances from very good players.

Maticmaker

The notion of supporting the owner(s) of anything is weird. Just as weird as rooting for any given bidder of the club
Agreed, I've supported United for over 60 years, and tbh don't really think about ownership, basically because I cannot do anything about it. I've supported the club through 'thick-n-thin' and will continue to do so no matter who owns it.
However, I do understand the frustration of those who do get upset about ownership, and when Martin Edwards* changed what had been the 'family hobby' into the family business and took United on to the stock market, the die was cast for the future and for such as the Glazers to move on the club, become involved and drain the 'cash-cow'.

(*However to be fair it was Martin Edwards who brought in SAF.... so every cloud has a silver lining... or something like that!)

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don't think there are any fans.

I do think people are putting too much expectation on them leaving. We have spent huge sums of money and we have appointed a dof in the last few years. The idea that Joel Glazer hums of transfers is tabloid nonsense.

People expected a massive up tick in performances when ddg left last year. This is just the new ddg for this season. One thing is always identified as holding us back .. it has been ed Woodward in the past and then Maguire.

The glazers are the biggest problem at the club over a long period of time. But it will take a long time to unwind that. The ownership change won't make a blind bit of differences to the performance over the first year or two, is my expectation.

In the short term the main problem is ten hag not able to get performances from very good players.
Sorry, but the bolded is just completely untrue.

A new, competent ownership immediately changes a club and the mood throughout a club.

Look at Newcastle ffs. They were relegation fodder and the moment they were bought by a competent, positive owner the mood of elation was felt throughout the whole club and performances IMMEDIATELY lifted.

Since then they’ve progressed on a literal month by month basis.

What the Glazer’s negligent and parasitic ownership has done to Utd is greatly underplayed by the club’s fanbase, who, themselves are now mentally broken and deluded as to the reality of the situation and the true potential and power that this club could quickly hold if the Glazers and all associated with them were removed.

If Newcastle have gone from relegation to thrashing PSG in the CL in 2 seasons, it should be pretty fecking obvious what Utd could rise to if the fans decided enough’s enough and ousted the scum.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Far from a Glazer supporter BUT i do think they've managed to work the system brilliantly and have done a great job in a purely business sense.

IRELANDUNITED

This place is full of fans of other clubs for some reason so I’d imagine they’re all Glazer fans as well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The point is - surely - that even if you think that United under Glazer ownership have spent enough money to be competitive, they are still ultimately responsible for who they've employed over a period of many years.

The football side has been objectively and consistently shit (for the money spent) since Fergie retired.

Nobody can possibly "support" the Glazers, there simply isn't any possible argument to be made for them.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Far from a Glazer supporter BUT i do think they've managed to work the system brilliantly and have done a great job in a purely business sense.
I’d hope what you mean is they have done a great job enriching themselves. The business growth is largely natural due to the growth in PL and CL football generally. The glazers haven’t done anything spectacular on this sense.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I’d hope what you mean is they have done a great job enriching themselves. The business growth is largely natural due to the growth in PL and CL football generally. The glazers haven’t done anything spectacular on this sense.
Correct.

They’ve in fact done an awful job running Utd from a business POV as they’ve spent very heavily and almost surreally badly.

They’ve sat ideally by and watched the stadium their father gave them fall to pieces.

They’ve run up such debt that they need another wealthy ‘Daddy’ figure to come bail them out - just like what they were born into :lol:

Had they done a better job, Utd could now be worth double what it actually is.

They’re awful businesspeople who were gifted a golden asset.

No more skilled in business than Princes Harry or William… probably less so, actually.

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Silly argument. The whole point of a club having a proper strategy is that they don’t just bow to the whim of the manager on transfers.

The fact we have seen it not work under 3 managers before ETH and have not changed it says enough about the leadership
So you want the owners involved in transfers? I thought everyone wanted the opposite

Abraxas

What the heck would you even support? What have the Glazers ever done that you would say is positive and something to get behind?

They've done the absolute bare minimum which is spend Man United club revenue on players. Which is not really doing anyone any favours because it's a bare minimum not only for sporting reasons but also because there's only so shit you can be before it dramatically hurts business, even though the Glazers do like to test that theory.

I can't think of anything positive about them to support. Nothing. They fritter away our income on finance stuff with no tangible benefit to us on the pitch, they don't communicate, they don't invest in anything and they never make the right decisions. It's a laundry list of calamity.

Rio5

I as newbie whos been reader for 20 years want to give my 2 pences. It sucks that they are leaches that take money from the club. BUT its not like we are short of funds on transfer market.

Son

We’ve been terrible on that level. When they took over we were the biggest club on the planet. Now we are like 4th or 5th taking everything into account.

Madrid, Bayern, City, PSG, Barcelona (maybe) all have more power than we do in the game. Liverpool have almost caught us up despite winning one title in 30 years. We’ve won 13 in that time! It’s embarrassing.

We should be at least level with Madrid for revenue given we are an English speaking club so bigger market and stronger brand awareness on paper with our famous logo.

We have every advantage imaginable to be the biggest brand in the sport end of the day and we still aren’t.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Yeah that is what i mean, shareholder value has increased massively and its the most valuable sporting club in the world (I think?), if it was Coca Cola you'd be saying they've done a great job in that sense.

Inarguably terrible on the football side of course.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Correct.

They’ve in fact done an awful job running Utd from a business POV as they’ve spent very heavily and almost surreally badly.

They’ve sat ideally by and watched the stadium their father gave them fall to pieces.

They’ve run up such debt that they need another wealthy ‘Daddy’ figure to come bail them out - just like what they were born into :lol:

Had they done a better job, Utd could now be worth double what it actually is.

They’re awful businesspeople who were gifted a golden asset.

No more skilled in business than Princes Harry or William… probably less so, actually.
Feels odd arguing in their favour (!) but were they "gifted" or did they manoeuvre it so they were able to buy an asset that has grown massively in value since they took ownership? Surely if they were so unskilled they wouldnt have been able to do that? I couldnt do that and i'd say i have a reasonable understanding of financial markets but its beyond my skill set.

Laurencio

Feels odd arguing in their favour (!) but were they "gifted" or did they manoeuvre it so they were able to buy an asset that has grown massively in value since they took ownership? Surely if they were so unskilled they wouldnt have been able to do that? I couldnt do that and i'd say i have a reasonable understanding of financial markets but its beyond my skill set.
I think it's safe to say that Malcom Glazer was a very clever and astute business man, and manuevered the situation expertly. His children however, were basically gifted the club and have shown none of the same level of business acumen.

Chumpsbechumps

I think it's safe to say that Malcom Glazer was a very clever and astute business man, and manuevered the situation expertly. His children however, were basically gifted the club and have shown none of the same level of business acumen.
What do the glazers do well since 2013 (which is when they stated running the football side)?

- infrastructure? Stadium, youth setup
- people in charge deciding transfers/managers?
- success on field ? (No other super club has fallen so far)
- value for money in signings
They can’t even spend money well, there’s feck all they do well. They have presided over uniteds fall akin to man city levels dropping to West Ham in a very short space of time. West Ham have actually won a European trophy in the same period.

I don’t think the glazers get anywhere near as much grief as they should. There is actually no fan benefit one can point to. They are so bad it’s just not funny.

Laurencio

What do the glazers do well since 2013 (which is when they stated running the football side)?

- infrastructure? Stadium, youth setup
- people in charge deciding transfers/managers?
- success on field ? (No other super club has fallen so far)
- value for money in signings
They can’t even spend money well, there’s feck all they do well. They have presided over uniteds fall akin to man city levels dropping to West Ham in a very short space of time. West Ham have actually won a European trophy in the same period.

I don’t think the glazers get anywhere near as much grief as they should. There is actually no fan benefit one can point to. They are so bad it’s just not funny.
They were handed the golden goose, and use the eggs to make omelettes. They have no idea how to get the most out of the club. The most embarrasing thing is that they've never actually tried, in any meaningful way, to rectify it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I figured you were talking about the Glazers when you mentioned bowing the whims of managers
The club should have a sporting director who does not bow to the whims of every manager.

Redstain

Glazers have been very shrewd with the business side of the club financially from their perspective. Using a leveraged buyout, putting no upfront payments towards anything including infrastructure and have annually profited from the dividends. From outside looking in they seemingly have bullied Ratcliffe into a short term minority investment to give him a seat at their table. It's all master play from their perspective.

From the club's point of view the team has fallen further and further away from being one of Europe's elite. The club has lost all merit on the domestic front often using top four as an achievement to mark the progress of a season. I think it's evident that United will never win a major trophy while the family remains.

Lentwood

Absolutely not, but I'm also of the opinion we should get our facts right as to WHY we have a problem with them.

For example, I'm sick of seeing posts on social media ridiculing the anti-Glazer movement against our net spend and having our own fans not be able to articulate what the main issues with Glazer ownership are.

It's one reason why I'm a stickler for picking people up when they talk about 'penny pinching' etc...its been nonsense since about 2011/2012 and makes us look ridiculous

Crashoutcassius

Sorry, but the bolded is just completely untrue.

A new, competent ownership immediately changes a club and the mood throughout a club.

Look at Newcastle ffs. They were relegation fodder and the moment they were bought by a competent, positive owner the mood of elation was felt throughout the whole club and performances IMMEDIATELY lifted.

Since then they’ve progressed on a literal month by month basis.

What the Glazer’s negligent and parasitic ownership has done to Utd is greatly underplayed by the club’s fanbase, who, themselves are now mentally broken and deluded as to the reality of the situation and the true potential and power that this club could quickly hold if the Glazers and all associated with them were removed.

If Newcastle have gone from relegation to thrashing PSG in the CL in 2 seasons, it should be pretty fecking obvious what Utd could rise to if the fans decided enough’s enough and ousted the scum.
I agree that we might get a bounce similar to a new manager bounce.