Anyone else feeling ok after losing to City in the semi-final of the Carabao Cup?

Stacks

Eh, about that - Pep has spent half an billion Euro's on defenders (about £465million), you're bound to get a good player eventually. Our spending is actually closer to Evertons if you actually look at the figures over the last ten years.

And who is saying they are happy or making excuses? Its just sort of - understandable when you lose to the likes of City, as annoying as it is. We've beaten them a few times lately at least and we are clearly not far away, despite the doom and gloom mongers worst opinions.
My apologies. I think I get what you mean. I actually agree with you. Their defence has defintaely improved and you are bound to get there eventually when you are allowed to invest those sums. They should also be better than us.

DSG

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. Reading through this thread, a lot of our fanbase has become so soft, losers mentality.
I will never be happy as a Manchester United fan of being knocked out of any competition and especially not to Fierce Rivals.
All the fans content with this result. You do realise that Citys dominance in this cup over the past decade has seen them overtake us on the all time winners list. Unacceptable!

We dominated this cup in mid to late 2000's winning 3 times in 5 years and it was fantastic. As the top club in England we should be striving to win it all every season.
Thats what City are now trying to do and we're okay with losing to them.
Fecking Hell.
What a load of shite. First of all, even SAF didn’t win the treble every season. And he did play the youngsters in the cups, as those were not the focus back then. Secondly, although the end result wasn’t what we wanted, we had prolonged periods of possession, and there was good effort. City didn’t exactly play us off the pitch, as they have in recent years.

I’m so confused by the fan base these days.There is a segment of fans who believe it is our divine right to win every trophy, and whenever we lose or draw, it’s “standards have dropped” and “SAF wouldn’t have stood for this”. Fact of the matter is that we are trying to claw our way back to title contenders. The league has changed significantly since SAF retired, and the days where we could simply outspend our rivals and expect to win are long gone. It’s the most competitive league in the world. Ole and the squad want to win every match, the effort is there, but sometimes we lose. This is sport. We are not going to win every trophy every season, and that doesn’t mean the season was a “failure”. If this is the mentality of our fans, I seriously suggest they switch support to PSG, where they will have the luxury of complaining about performance in a 2-0 domestic cup win because they weren’t dominant enough.

The fact that nuance doesn’t exist on the internet is seriously troubling.

DSG

He cost 65 million minus 13.6 million Otamendi as a exchange so thats 51 million odd. Did we sign Harry for 50 mill?
Lindelof cost £30.7 so our CB was £110 mill transfer value.
theirs was £98.5 million transfer cost. think you are just making excuses Gaz.

We have spent hundreds of millions on defenders also. I think we have the 2nd highest expenditure in English football so this isn't the time for United fans to be talking about "cannot compete due to lack of funds"
Man City defender transfers since 2017:
Stones 61m
Laporte 71m
Mendy 63m
Walker 58m
Danilo 33m
Cancelo 71m
Angelino 13m
Dias 75m
Ake 50m

total: 495m

Man United
Bailly 41m
Lindelof 38m
Maguire 95m
AWB 60m
Telles 16m

total: 250m

I’d say that’s a pretty big difference

GMoore23

What a load of shite. First of all, even SAF didn’t win the treble every season. And he did play the youngsters in the cups, as those were not the focus back then. Secondly, although the end result wasn’t what we wanted, we had prolonged periods of possession, and there was good effort. City didn’t exactly play us off the pitch, as they have in recent years.

I’m so confused by the fan base these days.There is a segment of fans who believe it is our divine right to win every trophy, and whenever we lose or draw, it’s “standards have dropped” and “SAF wouldn’t have stood for this”. Fact of the matter is that we are trying to claw our way back to title contenders. The league has changed significantly since SAF retired, and the days where we could simply outspend our rivals and expect to win are long gone. It’s the most competitive league in the world. Ole and the squad want to win every match, the effort is there, but sometimes we lose. This is sport. We are not going to win every trophy every season, and that doesn’t mean the season was a “failure”. If this is the mentality of our fans, I seriously suggest they switch support to PSG, where they will have the luxury of complaining about performance in a 2-0 domestic cup win because they weren’t dominant enough.

The fact that nuance doesn’t exist on the internet is seriously troubling.
First of all, where did I say we should expect to win treble every season. I said we should be striving to win it all every season, fighting for silverware on all fronts. Thats what Top class clubs do.
City have been doing this for a few years now. Regularly in contention for 3/4 titles in the 2nd half of every season.
Since Sir Alex left we've morphed into a club where its a trophy to achieve top 4 in the league. Bollocks to this.

And on us needing to outspend all our rivals in the past to win league titles. What a pile of shite. You must have us confused with Chelsea.
I think in Sir Alex's 20 premier league seasons we were only top spenders in 3.
Did you forget about letting guys like Hughes, Kanchelskis and Ince go and replacing them with Kids. How about letting guys like Ronaldo and Tevez go and replacing them with Owen and Valencia.
Accusing us of having to outspend our rivals to win in the past is an insult to the great man.

Stacks

Stones 61m
Laporte 71m
Mendy 63m
Walker 58m
Danilo 33m
Cancelo 71m
Angelino 13m
Dias 75m
Ake 50m

Man United
Bailly 41m
Lindelof 38m
Maguire 95m
AWB 60m
Telles 16m

true. I for one have maintained that Pep is pretty shit in the transfer market, especially with his defenders. Such a waste of money.

DSG

First of all, where did I say we should expect to win treble every season. I said we should be striving to win it all every season, fighting for silverware on all fronts. Thats what Top class clubs do.
City have been doing this for a few years now. Regularly in contention for 3/4 titles in the 2nd half of every season.
Since Sir Alex left we've morphed into a club where its a trophy to achieve top 4 in the league. Bollocks to this.

And on us needing to outspend all our rivals in the past to win league titles. What a pile of shite. You must have us confused with Chelsea.
I think in Sir Alex's 20 premier league seasons we were only top spenders in 3.
Did you forget about letting guys like Hughes, Kanchelskis and Ince go and replacing them with Kids. How about letting guys like Ronaldo and Tevez go and replacing them with Owen and Valencia.
Accusing us of having to outspend our rivals to win in the past is an insult to the great man.
Okay there, tiger. You’re absolutely right. We should sack Ole, and sell Bruno — bring in Mbappe, Haaland. Current form is unacceptable. We’re only the closest we’ve been to a title race since SAF retired, but not good enough. And in the meantime, let’s be oblivious to the last 7-8 years post Fergie, ignore context and reality.

:rolleyes:

432JuanMata

I hate the way people say it’s only this and only that. Make it sound like the PL and CL only matter(out of 1 already) and still underdogs in the other.

Firstly playing city I want to win no matter the competition secondly where did we are Man Utd we try win everything, thirdly this side needs to break that SF duck and get that winning feeling.

Also seen people writing that none or very little of the top sides care about these trophies while City-Spurs final and mostof the big clubs win them these days.
Yes I wasn’t devastated like going out the CL but it still upset me. If we claim to be one of the if not the biggest club in the world we should try win everything and also people after the CL exit said oh it was a hard group etc , but we are suppose to be Man Utd finishing behind Leipzig was unacceptable.
My main point is I was disappointed about going out to City but I expected them to beat us just the performance was a letdown

GMoore23

Okay there, tiger. You’re absolutely right. We should sack Ole, and sell Bruno — bring in Mbappe, Haaland. Current form is unacceptable. We’re only the closest we’ve been to a title race since SAF retired, but not good enough. And in the meantime, let’s be oblivious to the last 7-8 years post Fergie, ignore context and reality.

:rolleyes:
Your the one ignoring context. I'm a massive fan of Ole. My initial post was about being angry city have just knocked us out of the league cup semis for the second year running and so called fans being fine with it as its "just the League Cup".
I'll never understand that mentality.

432JuanMata

Your the one ignoring context. I'm a massive fan of Ole. My initial post was about being angry city have just knocked us out of the league cup semis for the second year running and so called fans being fine with it as its "just the League Cup".
Exactly over the last few years our expectations have dropped so much, then in the same sentence/breath will say we are one of the biggest clubs in the world:houllier:. The top teams want to win everything. City have won that cup loads of the times in the last few years. Hate to see them with more ambition than us:(

Lentwood

Stones 61m
Laporte 71m
Mendy 63m
Walker 58m
Danilo 33m
Cancelo 71m
Angelino 13m
Dias 75m
Ake 50m

Man United
Bailly 41m
Lindelof 38m
Maguire 95m
AWB 60m
Telles 16m

Plus, it’s not just the total money spent, it’s the fact City aren’t run ‘for-profit’ so they can just keep spending and spending until they get it right without balancing the books.

Case in point, they sign Mangala for £37m...doesn’t work out, so they freeze him out and bring Stones in for £50m...didn’t work out (yet) so they bring in Otamendi for £37m...doesn’t work out so they bring in Laporte for £60m...all this happened without selling any of the players listed.

United on the other hand are rich but we are still run ‘for-profit’ and we have shareholders to please. So when we make a mistake or a player doesn’t work out, we have to shift them before a replacement comes in and that can take time. Perfect examples recently being Lukaku and Angel di Maria.

Point is, we have to be more careful because a mistake is something we usually have to live with. City can just chuck money about and hope something works at some point.

DSG

We aren’t “fine” with it. We’re unhappy too. But we aren’t standing outside with pitchforks and torches ready to burn it all down either.

dave1956

No I have never felt fine losing to city regardless of the manager or circumstances past or present

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If people feel ok losing League cup semifinal, are you happy we won FA cup 3rd round? why though? it's a waste of time because you're fine also if we'll lose on SF anyway.

R'hllor

After we won last night, i feel less okey with us losing vs City now, if we lost both, now that would be proper ok feeling.

FahadiHossein

Personally, I don't care about either the League Cup or the FA Cup, because this United squad is still ridiculously thin in many areas. Compared to Spurs, Chelsea, City and Liverpool, this United squad does not really have that many capable replacements to come in when someone in the first team is injured or jaded, and I think that we only have 5 or 6 players outside of the first team that we can rely on, which is similar to lower premier league clubs like Burnley. I see the league cup and the FA cup games opportunities for Mata, Tuanzebe and Henderson to play in. I just want to see the alternative team go as far as they can.
I am somewhat relieved that the squad got knocked out of the UCL, because this squad is still way too light and not good enough to play 2 games a week, and the Europa League provides opportunities for the cup players to start. However, we are facing a very good Real Sociedad, so we will have to play first teamers.

Gasolin

Yea i think they will win it, although its a topsy turvy season.

If we lose to Pool and they win their games in hand, they will go top.
If we win Burnley and they win their game in hand, they are 1 pt behind us, right? To be fair they have Aston Villa and Everton, I think as games in hand so it might not be that easy.

Hanky panky

For me it is usually not a problem if we lose to better team. And City deserved to win by 1-2 goals, like they did. They played solid game and we were not as our best. Currently City is a favourite to win EPL also, so it wasn't a bad team we lost. AND it was Carabao Cup.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Stones 61m
Laporte 71m
Mendy 63m
Walker 58m
Danilo 33m
Cancelo 71m
Angelino 13m
Dias 75m
Ake 50m

Man United
Bailly 41m
Lindelof 38m
Maguire 95m
AWB 60m
Telles 16m

I assume that these figures are in Euro’s? We should be including Rojo, Dalot and Darmian given that they were signed in the same period as the other players. They’ve still spent more no doubt, but they’ve spent better and it shows on the pitch unfortunately.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It speaks about the low standards we've come to accept this team has when losing a cup tie against City is seem as acceptable.

DSG

I assume that these figures are in Euro’s? We should be including Rojo, Dalot and Darmian given that they were signed in the same period as the other players. They’ve still spent more no doubt, but they’ve spent better and it shows on the pitch unfortunately.
source is transfermkt. I believe it defaults to USD or Euro, definitely not £. Rojo and Darmian were well before the cutoff date, I think Dalot too, but maybe I missed him.. This time period coincides with Pep taking over City.

Jackal

It speaks about the low standards we've come to accept this team has when losing a cup tie against City is seem as acceptable.
The standards have sunk to several kilometres below sea level whereby you need sonar technology to locate it.

People keep saying City won because they were better, City didn't play anything spectacular in the game. They scored from 2 set plays that were defended terribly by Maguire and his team mates.

Yes, any defence can concede from free kicks and corners but the game management afterwards was awful. There were 5 changes to be made and the manager only made 2 changes while he was losing at home. At 0-1, one would expect some aggressive change in formation to at least rescue the game. Most managers would take off a defender or a midfielder and increase the attacking options on the pitch. The worst case scenario would be to lose anyways like we were already losing. The upside is that we would get a goal before their second goal and take the game to penalties or even win it at normal time.

The lack of in-game management was so glaring.

Le Red

Carabao Cup or whatever it will be called next year is worth nothing. I get far more pissed when the Balls Of Chaos lose in Jelle's Marble Runs (sadly that's a lot).