Anyone else getting sick of football?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The play acting, the parked busses, the lack of flair, not being able to celebrate goals because of fecking VAR, the refs taking centre stage every week. This isn’t the sport I fell in love with as a kid. Honestly getting bored of it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yes. My wife actually just asked me how I can watch football and listed most of the reasons mentioned in the OP. :lol:

I might bin the second half and play on the PS4 with the kids instead.

Ollie Derbyshire

It’s become a non contact sport now, not the same game as it used to be unfortunately. The amount of soft arses (we have some as well) is a disgrace.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I still enjoy it despite it not being perfect. I hated losing games to offside goals even more than I hate VAR.

Jev

People are gonna stop watching eventually if things don't change. It's a parody.

Ollie Derbyshire

A lot of the enjoyment has gone for me. I’ll watch our games but that’s it for me, used to enjoy watching all big games.

LoneStar

I was thinking the exact same thing right now. Its become a joke, I fear for the state of football in the coming years.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
They need to add proper play acting and diving in the next fifa to make it realistic.

Leg-End

I definitely give less of a shit and it’s just an accumulation of loads of things over the last few years, VAR is the turd on top.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Decisions like this genuinely happen every game now. It’s insane.

LoneStar

People are gonna stop watching eventually if things don't change. It's a parody.
Yeah imagine if you're watching football for the first time this match. Grown men screaming and play acting like they were shot. Goals being disallowed for such acts.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is this a conscious thought?

It’s ridiculous.

No enjoyment.

How is that we can’t celebrate a goal because of the threat of a review for a foul that was never a foul.

Killing football.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Definitely VAR has diminished the game massively as a spectacle. There will be a crisis soon enough.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Yes. My wife actually just asked me how I can watch football and listed most of the reasons mentioned in the OP. :lol:

I might bin the second half and play on the PS4 with the kids instead.
My hubby too. He then told me to get the kids to bed :lol:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Yes. There are loads more goals chopped off now. Football is a game for cheats and fannys, always has been. The authorities are trying to introduce integrity and fairplay. Makes me sad.

RUCK4444

AB-SO-FU-CK-IN-LU-TE-LY

ITS VAR. Let’s stop pretending we need it, we didn’t, for feckin centuries FFS.

I don’t remember a time I’ve been so uninterested in football, I’ve almost exclusively only watched United games this season, usually I watch anything that’s televised.

Its killed the emotion of goal scoring. It causes as many issues as it solves, all we talk about is VAR.
It’s unenforceable because you can’t take basic rules in a game of any type and drill down on them to an infinitely precise interpretation. Not to mention no sane person wants to feckin see that anyway!!

Cpt Negative

Definitely VAR has diminished the game massively as a spectacle. There will be a crisis soon enough.
Nothing to do with VAR today. VAR worked as it should - giving the ref a chance to review a decision and he fecked up.

all VAR does is highlight how bad the standard of refereeing is in the country

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Its barely watchable. I cant believe we have let it get to this

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I'm feeling the exact same way.

Boring cagey football. Players that go down, and stay down even when their team have possession, and VAR to help get things back in order in case we do actually have a moment of good football.

Football is shit

I still think VAR is a good thing but the PL's implementation is without doubt causing problems and people are getting tired of it. The PL's handling of the league during the whole of Covid has not done them any favours at all. It's not like this in other leagues.

quirkey

The English seem intent on ruining their own game, a bit like their empire.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I only watch United games mostly now . This was a horrendous half anyway and then when something good happens it gets ruined by the refs . Guy who rolled around doesn't get any punishment and continues to do it every game . Lots of better sporting action happening every weekend

Marwood

It's not VAR guys. It's having 22 players who are cool with cheating to get a result.

Son stays on his feet and VAR doesn't get involved.

Jev

Yeah imagine if you're watching football for the first time this match. Grown men screaming and play acting like they were shot. Goals being disallowed for such acts.
Football will seriously struggle to attract younger viewers in the coming years. The slow, lethargic nature of the game has low appeal for a generation with a short attention span who are accustomed to an abundance of high-quality entertainment. Most of us are watching out of nostalgia, history or loyalty to our favourite team. Objectively, a game of football is poor entertainment when compared to what you'd find on Netflix, or even YouTube.

crossy1686

career ending
The play acting, the parked busses, the lack of flair, not being able to celebrate goals because of fecking VAR, the refs taking centre stage every week. This isn’t the sport I fell in love with as a kid. Honestly getting bored of it.
Possibly the most entitled post ever on Redcafe, and speaks volumes as to why you're constantly going in on Solskajer. You're just sick of everything and United not being the best like they have been over the last 20 years.

kidbob

I watched Ross Byrne get absolutely smashed twice with borderline high tackles by guys literally twice his size yesterday while playing rugby for Leinster against Exeter and he just got on with it. The difference in attitude is unbelievable and honestly, yes, it is making the game hard to stomach at times. I say that for our players going down easy or feigning injury too.

HJ12

I don' think I've ever turned off a game halfway through of my own volition. Today I'm binning the second half. Ref +VAR + current sh*tty interpretation of rules is just too much.

Idxomer

I'm getting sick of English refs.

Where do they produce this lot?

pablo__p

I feel less and less emotional about football, that's for sure.

It's not about VAR itself but the implementation of it in England as well as indolent people executing it.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I know I'm old now... because it's the playacting and histrionics I cannot stand.

The behaviour of players is really frustrating, the screams in particular! It's just a total lack of class and sportsmanship.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Nothing to do with VAR today. VAR worked as it should - giving the ref a chance to review a decision and he fecked up.

all VAR does is highlight how bad the standard of refereeing is in the country
It’s the over analysis of VAR though. Checking goals for tiny little fouls in the build up then claiming McT has carelessly caught Son in an unnatural flow (they’ve released a statement on it). It’s the over analysis that just isn’t football.

Yes the referee had no common sense but if you slow it down and take away all common sense by asking him check it then he’s going to see the hand hit the face and just disallow it. It’s complete madness and happening all the time to all teams.

OneUnited24

I don’t even celebrate goals any more because of VAR...

I hate the play acting but I believe the drop in quality is down to the number of games these players have had to play. At some point it was going to catch up to them

tugger

I think the biggest issue is that we’re not winning. It’s hard to brush off bad decisions when they’re costing trophies and easy to blame them as the reason for us being where we are. I’ve found that the best counter to this is just to swap teams for a bit. I was United through and through up until about 2014. Since then I’ve been City and Liverpool. With Liverpool being shit again, I’ve switched back to United. I couldn’t go City in case people thought I was a glory hunter.

If you’re losing that sense of enjoyment, just move to the team that’s winning to get it back.